PDA

View Full Version : To level 10! -_- [A forum n00b asks a bunch of dumb questio

Sethimothy
Dec 23, 2006, 07:41 AM
3rd day into this game and I'm learning. SLOWLY. I R RETARDED. Anyways.

Right now I've got a Human Hunter to character level 6, and I still can't beat the dragon in Episode 2, act 1. Got close - I died, and then part of the cutscene before I was kicked to the desk! I need to learn not to get too close to the darn beast, but it's not like I can throw a spear or a dagger at it. -_-

So, I'm trying to get to level 10, while making money to purchase more photon arts (need the dagger one, and perhaps I should pick up another bullet style besides frozen...) I've learned that if I run through the level 1 mission on the Linear Line, I can access a "Fight for Food C" mission where the beasts are level 5 and the loot is twice as good (although that isn't saying much...)

That's where I'm at for now. I have a few odd questions, though. That doesn't mean you shouldn't jump in with relevant help or advice if you've got it though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

1.)I keep getting synth cards. At this low level, should I just be NPCing them, or is there some benefit to synthing things like Trimate I don't know about?

2.)I had quite a few "Subra" cards, so I decided to craft a few. I used what I believe was an El-photon, which dropped the success chance to 36%. The Subra was actually crafted... and there was no difference between it and another I had crafted standard. What the hell?

3.)When I find star-5 to star-7 items at my level (things like Stelnium, for example) is it worth my time to sell them in a publically accessible shop, or should I just hold on to it for my own use?

4.)At my low level, is it worth feeding my helper bot, or should I hold off for awhile?

5.)Is dagger and handgun all that common and/or useful at low level?

6.)Any other missions I haven't noticed I should be aware of?

7.)Is there any voice chat servers for the PC/PS2, either official or fan-run through programs like Ventrillo?

Also, I'm on the PC, so feel free to send a message to Sethimothy if you have a low-level character you want to party with, or want to drag me along for some fun. I'll do my best not to be a burden. T_T

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sethimothy on 2006-12-23 04:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sethimothy on 2006-12-23 08:58 ]</font>

ZiG
Dec 23, 2006, 07:51 AM
Alright.

You're going to get alot of boards (synth cards are called boards). At lvl56, I still NPC the ones I don't care about, such as Monomates and stuff. Basically, if it's not a valuable synth board, or something you yourself plan to make, NPC it. That's just my opinion.

With your Sabra board, you used an el-photon, correct? The reason this dropped the success % is that el-photons are used for making Rods/Wands. They don't make the Sabra any better, worse, they just aren't for melee weapons, so the success is lower. El-photons = Rods/Wands, Im-photons = Ranged weapons.

As for Rare materials, I personally keep them. I try not to sell Mats unless I'm really hard up for cash. You never know when something new and cool is introduced and you just happen to already have the mats for it. Never ever NPC mats.

As for feeding your Partner Machine, I would honestly plan it out before I started feeding. Play the game a little while longer and decide what Type you enjoy playing. When you decide, choose a PM feeding plan that will make it evolve into a form favorable to synthing weapons you will be using. You'll save (and make) money.

Dagger and Handgun is an excellent combo. I personally find single Dagger to be my very favorite melee weapon. the PA is just phenomenal. But it comes down to your preference.

As for #6, you're low level, so you don't have very many options. The best thing to do is try them all. You don't lose anything for dying, just don't bring Scape Dolls with you when you go try something new. Get into parties, I can't stress this enough. Soloing may be ok to farm rare mats, but at your level, xp and mission points are paramount.

Sethimothy
Dec 23, 2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'll definately keep that in mind.

Finally killed the dragon, but now Ethan is kicking my ass and I don't know what I'm supposed to do. T_T Yeah, I can totally handle a level 63 character and his cohort. >_<

Tear
Dec 23, 2006, 09:46 AM
Just run around and dodge until Laia says something. That is a battle you can't win.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tear on 2006-12-23 08:57 ]</font>

Sethimothy
Dec 23, 2006, 09:49 AM
On 2006-12-23 06:46, Tear wrote:That is a battle you can't win.

You're telling me. I've died twice to stray crossbow bolts. >_<

Also, anyone know where the Phantasy Star font can be downloaded? I see quite a few people using it in tags and images, and I'd like to get ahold of it.

Sychosis
Dec 23, 2006, 09:57 AM
The fonts are included in the PSU fansite kit:

http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/community/fansitekit/psu_fansitekit.zip

Sethimothy
Dec 23, 2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks again! With the help of this board, I truly feel like I'm getting the hang of the game and can soon be of actual use in a party. It'll make switching to Force when I need to much easier... >.>

Sethimothy
Dec 23, 2006, 11:56 AM
Double posting makes me look retarded, but something tells me no one cares.

I'm trying to get a hold of a "knife" with the light attribute, OR a "knife" board. I've been darting in and out of shops and while some individuals do indeed sell "knife" I have no control over searching for a specific element. Can anyone help me out?

Sychosis
Dec 23, 2006, 11:58 AM
The best you can do is find the board by searching for "[B] Knife"

Ryoki
Dec 23, 2006, 12:29 PM
On 2006-12-23 04:41, Sethimothy wrote:
3rd day into this game and I'm learning. SLOWLY. I R RETARDED. Anyways.

Right now I've got a Human Hunter to character level 6, and I still can't beat the dragon in Episode 2, act 1. Got close - I died, and then part of the cutscene before I was kicked to the desk! I need to learn not to get too close to the darn beast, but it's not like I can throw a spear or a dagger at it. -_-

So, I'm trying to get to level 10, while making money to purchase more photon arts (need the dagger one, and perhaps I should pick up another bullet style besides frozen...) I've learned that if I run through the level 1 mission on the Linear Line, I can access a "Fight for Food C" mission where the beasts are level 5 and the loot is twice as good (although that isn't saying much...)

That's where I'm at for now. I have a few odd questions, though. That doesn't mean you shouldn't jump in with relevant help or advice if you've got it though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

1.)I keep getting synth cards. At this low level, should I just be NPCing them, or is there some benefit to synthing things like Trimate I don't know about?

2.)I had quite a few "Subra" cards, so I decided to craft a few. I used what I believe was an El-photon, which dropped the success chance to 36%. The Subra was actually crafted... and there was no difference between it and another I had crafted standard. What the hell?

3.)When I find star-5 to star-7 items at my level (things like Stelnium, for example) is it worth my time to sell them in a publically accessible shop, or should I just hold on to it for my own use?

4.)At my low level, is it worth feeding my helper bot, or should I hold off for awhile?

7.)Is there any voice chat servers for the PC/PS2, either official or fan-run through programs like Ventrillo?

Also, I'm on the PC, so feel free to send a message to Sethimothy if you have a low-level character you want to party with, or want to drag me along for some fun. I'll do my best not to be a burden. T_T

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sethimothy on 2006-12-23 04:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sethimothy on 2006-12-23 08:58 ]</font>

These questions are hardly stupid. In fact some of them, like the el photon thing, I can't explain why you can use them. I sometimes intentionally try to fail sabra's just for the rare chance that it will and become a scape doll. Happened to me once.
Sell pretty much all boards for items except scape doll ones. Those can be useful. Keep most weapons/armor boards or sell those in a shop.

BTW: About knifes, hold out until you find one with 50% light. I bought two 50% knifes, one ground and one lightining for only 5k total, and it is stronger right now that my 4 star one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryoki on 2006-12-23 09:31 ]</font>

nefarious
Dec 23, 2006, 12:55 PM

No benefit, no point.

Grind grind grind.

Keep Synth materials, IF and ONLY if you intend to at some point synth alot of stuff... And even then, you'll end up converting the low level stuff you stash now, into a few extra higher level pieces, later.

Someone mentioned intentional faliure. That's a possibility.
There's also some items I think that require use of an El-photon, meaning no matter what you drop the success % down, making it harder to synth.

I NPC'd that stuff honestly, cause I didn't know better.
Hold onto it for now... untill you're at a level where dropping 15k on opening a shop isn't gonna make you cry.

You will come to a point unless you -really- suck, where grinding the same levels over and over solo will drop so many monomates and dimates where you can't hold anymore.

That's when you start feeding your guy extras.

Also, the really low level areas will drop weapons that are absolutely useless. They sell for 1 meseta. If you're going for a striking PM (Easiest to get) you can feed these 1 meseta weapons to your PM.

The best thing for you are dual daggers.

PP Efficient, awesome PA, at level 11 I believe it adds a second hit.

Bullets are a PP sink, they use up alot more PP for significantly less damage.

For farming/grinding... I strongly recommend dual daggers for the small amount of PP they use, and the multi-hit/multi-target factor of the PA, using these, your intent is to spam your PA, and never really bother meleeing unless you can kill it in one hit.

That's really up to you. There's multiple worlds all with thier own missions. I spammed Unsafe Passage and Fight For Food until I was 13 with my hunter.

PC, yes. But that's 3rd PT, not built in. Sounds like you're already aware of them. But you'd have to set it up with friends in-game, and not alot of PC users are probably going to want to use it along with you.

KiteWolfwood
Dec 23, 2006, 01:58 PM
Well if you are on PC/PS2 I can make you a light dagger with the spare mats I have. Just search for Lark in "Search by name" under the Search for Shop menu on your computer in your room. Depending on how many tries I have left on the knife board I might be able to squeeze out an ice knife for when you start adventuring on Parum or where ever you might end up.

Sethimothy
Dec 23, 2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks, Ryoki and nefarious, for your input. You've been very helpful.

I should point out that at this time I'm running around with the following: dagger and gun, spear, twin daggers. Also, I'm kind of hoping to get the catgirl PM (420 I believe).

When should I start worrying about doing any grinding? In the offline mode, I was grinding starting at star three items, but in this game C grinders are a little more difficult to come across and significantly more costly.

KiteWolfwood
Dec 23, 2006, 02:19 PM
Well it depends. But you would probably only want to grind the highest * weapons before it changes Grade. So you would be safe grinding 3* weapons. You will acquire plenty of C grinders in time. I have like 99 at the moment.

Sethimothy
Dec 23, 2006, 02:20 PM
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif By the way, I'm in your room sitting on your floor... >.>