PDA

View Full Version : Adictiveness

zimmk2vgc
Dec 25, 2006, 08:38 PM
I would like this to be clear, that this is not a PSO is better than PSU or vice versa thread, before I begin.

PSO was a classic, very addictive game that you could easily get back to. However, thinking about it, it was also very monotonus. The level design wasn't exactly breath taking scenery, and the battle system was rigid as a 2 by 4. The plot was far and in between. However, very easily you could come back to it again and again and again until the the time you eventually you realise you have wasted your life.

PSU, breath taking scenery to die for, runs super smooth and fast, a great battle system, more different scenes great music.

SO WHY does it not have the grab factor that PSO did when that was barely updated online.

Discuss.

Garnet_Moon
Dec 25, 2006, 08:40 PM
On 2006-12-25 17:38, zimmk2vgc wrote:
I would like this to be clear, that this is not a PSO is better than PSU or vice versa thread

Sure it's not. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

zimmk2vgc
Dec 25, 2006, 08:43 PM
Thing is, I really like both of them, but PSU just does not have the grab factor that PSO did.

rena-ko
Dec 25, 2006, 08:55 PM
personally, i came back to PSO about three times. not counting all the different version of it that i went through. the last time i tried was only 12 days of BB, which made me hate that game.

PSU, well. its slowpaced. very slowpaced. not as slowpaced as other online grinding games that i played, but still, slower than PSO. no simple hopping down to make a certain stage run or quest, no, this time you have to make your way to whereever you want to hunt.

still, i personally think PSU is a big improvement over PSO in almost all aspects. its just not a game you can play 24/7 - which is good. go out, people, and socialize.

zandra117
Dec 25, 2006, 08:58 PM
I think its the setting. In pso the setting was that your old planet was dying and you couldnt return to it but the planet you are trying to settle on is being terrorized by a mysterious entity. So you are stuck without a home untill you can find and defeat this mysterious entity for good.

In PSU you already have a home and everything is happy and peaceful untill The SEED (a less mysterious entity than in PSO) attacks your home. Which is a very unoriginal setting that is in every other RPG. But then it turns out that SEED are like bugs and are only attracted to A Photons. So you find a "giant bug zapper" (Relics Confinement System) and activate it. Now in the online environment you are only keeping the SEED that avoided the zapper contained and away from populated areas.

The PSO setting is more dark than the PSU setting and that makes PSO more exciting.

Also PSO had much larger and less linear basic mission areas. And the music change in pso in and out of battles made pso seem more dramatic. Also PSO has a better soundtrack than PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-12-25 18:03 ]</font>

Pandatron
Dec 25, 2006, 08:58 PM
Remember long ago when they released "Golden Eye" for the N64 and it was one of the most amazing shooters of it's time and everyone rejoiced in all it's greatness. Then in the near future they released "Perfect Dark" took the same engine added new weapons, level, bot support, tons of missions and so forth. Unfortunatly it didn't get nearly as much praise as "Golden Eye", while it may be the same game when it's 're-released' (so to speak) the hype you already had for the game has tampered off and thus you don't get the same kick. That's just my theory anyways it's happen a good amount of times in the for just Golden Eye -> Perfect Dark rung a bell at the time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

Saikyn
Dec 25, 2006, 09:02 PM
I would like this to be clear, that this is not a PSO is better than PSU or vice versa thread, before I begin.

PSO was a classic, very addictive game that you could easily get back to. However, thinking about it, it was also very monotonus. The level design wasn't exactly breath taking scenery, and the battle system was rigid as a 2 by 4. The plot was far and in between. However, very easily you could come back to it again and again and again until the the time you eventually you realise you have wasted your life.

PSU, breath taking scenery to die for, runs super smooth and fast, a great battle system, more different scenes great music.

SO WHY does it not have the grab factor that PSO did when that was barely updated online.

Discuss.

Because it doesn't have breath taking sceneray
It does not have a good battle system
The game is a piece of crap like every other sega game made it stopped making Dreamcasts.

Sega lost their edge, not that they ever had it. Soon as dreamcast died, sega began spiraling downward. Every game I've played for Next gen consoles by sega has been utter shit. I used to love these games with a passion, but sega has lost it. The ONLY thing sega has going for them is their sports games now. I will say that the NBA2k7 and other sports games they make are doing better than their counterpart EA sports versions on next gen's, that's my opinion though. NBA Live 07 and NHL 07 sucks balls on next gen, but sega's 2k7 versions pwn em. meh....

Makojin
Dec 25, 2006, 09:04 PM
The grab of PSO: PSO was a first, it was the first time players on a console could play online with characters that can improve over time. For some people this was thier first experience of this kind of game, I know it was mine. It was also free to play in the first version, and v.2 on Dreamcast wasn't expensive on a monthly basis... normally just $5-6/month because the fee is based on the Yen, not the dollar. You could also take the same character you play with online and play offline, leveling it, since it was client side save. I have one character that didn't go online until it was 80.

PSO:BB was probably like the halfway step to PSU, took the original game and made it exclusively online, and server-side save, becasue they realised that client side saving was making policing difficult (if there was any to begin with).

PSU it seems combines the action elements that PSO had with more of a story of an RPG (or more like it an anime). They seperated the offline and online saves, so you can't take your online character offline, but offline there is an offering of an involving story, that's continued online.

Would I have played PSU if I didn't play PSO? Probably not... I'll be honest about that.

Mewnie
Dec 25, 2006, 09:07 PM
It might just also do with perception over time..

PSO as new, and while PSU is similar, you're mostly reminded of your experiences from back in PSO.

For me, my first online game was Everquest, and every other one I've played has never fully recaptured the magic from EQ.

-Crokar-
Dec 25, 2006, 09:10 PM
pso i could play and it gets boring after a few hours. i played psu for 10 hours straight yesterday and wasnt bored at all. i dont know

zandra117
Dec 25, 2006, 09:11 PM
In PSO the environment in a mission area would change slightly as you advanced. For example in caves 2 you would walk from a mossy cavern into a beautiful room with waterfalls all around you. You just don't find scenery changes like that in PSU missions, the scenery stays the same throughout the mission.

Flamingo99
Dec 25, 2006, 09:22 PM
I dont know about anyone else... but I really miss the "hard attack" option. It wasn't anything too special or anything, but I really did like what it do to the battle system (regardless of how minor it was). Skills are cool and all... but when you run out of PP then what? Also, in PSO, you could find rares right off the bat, but in PSU we have to wait for the new weapons and etc.

One of the biggest things i see happening is that people aren't playing the game for what it is now, rather, they play for the next update. I see people rushing through games to get money and levels so they can use the new equips that are going to be released in the near future.

Also, i think that the quests need to be balanced out. It doesnt seem worth doing "Mad Creatures" on A rank to get a S rank reward that consists of 4 MP and some money, while "Mad Creatures" on a C rank gives 2MP and some money on an S rank reward.

And my last reason. Pso seemed kind of nice and short in terms of distance. You didn't need to run 1 min (I'm not complaining) to get to a PPT gate in pso. All you needed to do was run for 10 seconds to the teleport and do the run. The shop's werent far from the teleport (compared to PSU).

i like psu, but I really wished SEGA brought back some of the elements that made PSO a really great game.

DummieAcount
Dec 25, 2006, 09:29 PM
On 2006-12-25 18:02, Saikyn wrote:

Discuss.

The game is a piece of crap like every other sega game made it stopped making Dreamcasts.

Sega lost their edge, not that they ever had it. Soon as dreamcast died, sega began spiraling downward. Every game I've played for Next gen consoles by sega has been utter shit. I used to love these games with a passion, but sega has lost it. The ONLY thing sega has going for them is their sports games now. I will say that the NBA2k7 and other sports games they make are doing better than their counterpart EA sports versions on next gen's, that's my opinion though. NBA Live 07 and NHL 07 sucks balls on next gen, but sega's 2k7 versions pwn em. meh....

Sports games suck.

zimmk2vgc
Dec 25, 2006, 09:32 PM
synthing, i felt was a great addition. I never had much success with piping and whatnot for rare enemies. With synthing, not only can I make loads of items to sell in my shop but also I feel that with rare items, once you've found the board, you feel like you are getting somewhere with being able to synth it properly. I do feel however that the shops are far too heavily stocked with boards and weapons and whatnot, meaning, if you have tons of mes, you'll basically pwn everything in sight. The weapon shop in PSO, gc+bb at least, was a complete joke. You would only buy from there if you were completely stupid, no offence....

still though, this is not merely enough to keep me entangled in the game for an extreme length of time. perhaps the monotonus button mashing of pso made it so addicitive. tbh, you really didnt have to think much. PSU, you gotta think so your mind doesn't melt into a nice slushy mush...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zimmk2vgc on 2006-12-25 18:37 ]</font>

albel399
Dec 25, 2006, 09:35 PM
I think a big reason is that 7/8th of the game is unlocked, if they had released everything at the release date, there would be alot to aim for so it would have the same grab as PSO. Look at blue burst when it first started and tried the update thing, people barely played it until an update. All im saying is this game wouldve had a better effect if it had everything at once.

zimmk2vgc
Dec 25, 2006, 09:38 PM
On 2006-12-25 18:35, albel399 wrote:
I think a big reason is that 7/8th of the game is unlocked, if they had released everything at the release date, there would be alot to aim for so it would have the same grab as PSO. Look at blue burst when it first started and tried the update thing, people barely played it until an update. All im saying is this game wouldve had a better effect if it had everything at once.

It looked like to me a lot of people stopped playing when the beta ended... I remember severs were packed full during the beta or bb. when that ended, the palce was deserted...

Saikyn
Dec 26, 2006, 02:40 AM
On 2006-12-25 18:29, DummieAcount wrote:

On 2006-12-25 18:02, Saikyn wrote:

Discuss.

Sports games suck.

I'm not a huge fan of sports games either, but it's what I said is still true.

PaladinRPG
Dec 26, 2006, 02:58 AM
On 2006-12-25 18:11, zandra117 wrote:
In PSO the environment in a mission area would change slightly as you advanced. For example in caves 2 you would walk from a mossy cavern into a beautiful room with waterfalls all around you. You just don't find scenery changes like that in PSU missions, the scenery stays the same throughout the mission.

Yeah, I think this is my only real gripe with PSU right now. And while it does have some catchy tunes, the soundtrack could be better in certain respects (miss some of the ambient quality music like in ruins/caves). The fades of PSO were definitely a nice touch, too, a technique seen in many other succesful immersive RPGs.

ProfessorZ
Dec 26, 2006, 03:05 AM
I wish PSU went the way of an MMORPG

Ether
Dec 26, 2006, 03:09 AM
I wish PSU went less the way of an MMORPG

-Ryuki-
Dec 26, 2006, 03:11 AM
I wish you could change your character's face if you were unsatisified with it 30 levels later.

ViciousXUSMC
Dec 26, 2006, 03:12 AM
just look at mine http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

(points down)

-Ryuki-
Dec 26, 2006, 03:13 AM
XD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

ViciousXUSMC
Dec 26, 2006, 03:15 AM
Im sticking with that one for awhile I love Mr T http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Watch the A team almost every day.

Euph
Dec 26, 2006, 03:17 AM
How about identifying the "grab factor"?

Maybe it's the lobby chairs that we loved so much?

-Ryuki-
Dec 26, 2006, 03:19 AM
I should play PSO BB.. >.>;

PaladinRPG
Dec 26, 2006, 03:21 AM
You must throw those Diga's helluva far! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

(*waits for Mr. T vs SEED/Dark Falz to appear on the net)

-Shimarisu-
Dec 26, 2006, 03:21 AM
It isn't Sega that's growing old and jaded.
It isn't their games that are becoming slow, dull and monotonous.
It isn't the Phantasy Star franchise that's lacking all the beauty, youth and joi d'vivre it once had.

It's you lot.

Happy birthday Phantasy Star, you lasted past the age of 20 without becoming boring. Wish I could say the same for most gamers.

ViciousXUSMC
Dec 26, 2006, 03:25 AM
Im gonna get dem SEED! they trashed my van!!

just wait till I get my hands on dat sukka!

AlphaMinotaux
Dec 26, 2006, 04:02 AM
Gundam SEED Destiny?

ZiG
Dec 26, 2006, 04:15 AM
wut

Crillz
Dec 26, 2006, 04:39 AM
PSU isn't as addictive, because no more rush when you see a red box drop and wonder what exactly it is. Or finally after 1291110 runs you find that weapon/armor/accessory you wanted.

ZiG
Dec 26, 2006, 04:45 AM
There was no Rush in PSO when you saw a red box, either, since Section ID + Mob killed = item in red box.

And Idunno about you buy... I've done 1291110 runs looking for Me / Quick and haven't gotten one.

Crillz
Dec 26, 2006, 04:50 AM
On 2006-12-26 01:45, ZiG wrote:
There was no Rush in PSO when you saw a red box, either, since Section ID + Mob killed = item in red box.

And Idunno about you buy... I've done 1291110 runs looking for Me / Quick and haven't gotten one.

Some people didn't stay on the PSO-World guides to see exactly what dropped what. And that was PSO, this time it is different all-around.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Crillz on 2006-12-26 01:51 ]</font>

ZiG
Dec 26, 2006, 07:06 AM
It has nothing to do with PSO-W guides.

I got 3429386 Varistas. It got to the point where I cringed when I saw those red boxes.

Ether
Dec 26, 2006, 07:13 AM
On 2006-12-26 01:45, ZiG wrote:

Sure there was, the "please dont be a photon drop" moment when you run over to a red box that was just dropped by the enemy you've been hunting

Happened to me in PSU the other day, I killed a Go Vahra and it dropped a red crafting board, my mind immediately thought OMG VAHRA CLAW, but it was just a crea saber http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ZiG
Dec 26, 2006, 07:22 AM
Right, so see?

Same feeling as PSO, according to Crillz. So that debunks that idea.

My personal opinion on why "PSU doesn't grab you like PSO" is that you people won't let it. You WANT PSO to have been better, because you feel 1337 saying so. You get a sense of comraderie when you say "Man I wish this was a good as PSO" and then 15 other people say "Yeah!", even if they don't really think it isn't, deep down inside.

You aren't 1337 if you aren't some "PSOer from teh Dreamcast dayz!". You aren't 1337 if you don't think PSO was better.

I guess I'm not 1337.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZiG on 2006-12-26 04:26 ]</font>

Chris28
Dec 26, 2006, 07:36 AM
People need to stop living in the past. PSO was a great game, but it got to the point when doing hundreds of caves runs turned into a chore. I felt like i had to do them each day and that's how it became very boring. Also, piping for 4 hours straight is not healthy. With PSU, i've never gotten that feeling. There are so many things you can do in this game and all of the games content hasn't even been released yet. Just waited until all the S Ranks are released and people are failing them left and right. I can't wait to try to make a 12* armor. It's gonna be great!

ZiG
Dec 26, 2006, 07:44 AM
On 2006-12-26 04:36, Sinow wrote:
Just waited until all the S Ranks are released and people are failing them left and right.

Some of the most fun times I've had on PSU were impossible situations where people were dying left and right. When Linear Line S ranks first came out, that shit was hilarious.

Ether
Dec 26, 2006, 08:16 AM
PSO is better than PSU for one reason alone. Mission Counters. Completely destroyed the casual sign on and join a group instantly that PSO had

ZiG
Dec 26, 2006, 08:29 AM
On 2006-12-26 05:16, Ether wrote:
PSO is better than PSU for one reason alone. Mission Counters. Completely destroyed the casual sign on and join a group instantly that PSO had

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/CrashDivide/missioncounter.jpg

Kirip-san
Dec 26, 2006, 09:01 AM
On 2006-12-26 05:16, Ether wrote:

Erm...*points at post above*

Ether
Dec 26, 2006, 09:12 AM
Uhh, what?

I KNOW THEY'RE CALLED MISSION COUNTERS, THATS WHY I CALLED THEM THAT IN MY POST

ZiG
Dec 26, 2006, 09:17 AM
YOU WERE SAYING PSU DIDN'T HAVE THEM AND THAT'S WHY PSO IS BETTER!

Just sayin' lol

Kirip-san
Dec 26, 2006, 09:20 AM
On 2006-12-26 06:12, Ether wrote:
Uhh, what?

I KNOW THEY'RE CALLED MISSION COUNTERS, THATS WHY I CALLED THEM THAT IN MY POST

You might wanna word that post a little better...http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif I got confused for a sec there~nyo.

Ether
Dec 26, 2006, 09:21 AM
No, I didn't. I'm saying the Mission Counter system that PSU introduced is garbage, because you have to check for teams on each planet individually, or solo C ranks to get to the later missions where all the people are.

PSO had every episode and every stage in the game at a single counter, it was a million times better

Kirip-san
Dec 26, 2006, 09:25 AM
On 2006-12-26 06:21, Ether wrote:
No, I didn't. I'm saying the Mission Counter system that PSU introduced is garbage, because you have to check for teams on each planet individually, or solo C ranks to get to the later missions where all the people are.

PSO had every episode and every stage in the game at a single counter, it was a million times better

From what you said, you sounded like PSO had a mission counter and PSU didn't~nyo.

PSO is better than PSU for one reason alone. Mission Counters.
That's where you got me~nyo.
But yeah, I agree with the limited accessibility of PSU's mission counters~nyo.
x.x

Jedah
Dec 26, 2006, 09:27 AM
On 2006-12-26 06:21, Ether wrote

Yeah that made it pretty convenient. Shame it went against the whole MMO-ish feel they were trying for.

ZiG
Dec 26, 2006, 09:31 AM
While I agree that a central counter was pretty cool, to me, it kinda... dumbed down the game a little. I like the multiple counters, just needs to be a faster way to some of them.

The reason I like PSU's counter system is this...

In PSO, say you didnt WANT to do Mines, but you really wanted to do Ruins... Most parties were Forest to Falz... In PSU, if I only wanna do, say, Endrum Remnants, I go park my ass in Seabed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZiG on 2006-12-26 06:33 ]</font>

MomoHana
Dec 26, 2006, 09:43 AM
It's better that way. Work your way to where you want to be as they say. In PSO it's just dumbed down like ZiG said...I mean sure you need to go through 2 counters to get to like Seabed. Late game I think that Parum's Linear Line goes straight to Lake Denes? Hmm but I don't see what's the whining for it's fine. Stop whining and play.

Ether
Dec 26, 2006, 09:46 AM
On 2006-12-26 06:31, ZiG wrote:
In PSO, say you didnt WANT to do Mines, but you really wanted to do Ruins... Make a team and call it Ruins

In PSU, if I only wanna do, say, Endrum Remnants, I goDo mad creatures, ruler of the plains, the mad beasts, then finally arrive at seabed to find no teams there

Complaining about teams not skipping a stage you didn't want to do in PSO is quite ironic because the stages WERE skipable. PSU doesn't give you that option, unless you happen to have a friend already at a goal lobby

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ether on 2006-12-26 06:49 ]</font>

Kirip-san
Dec 26, 2006, 09:47 AM
On 2006-12-26 06:31, ZiG wrote:
While I agree that a central counter was pretty cool, to me, it kinda... dumbed down the game a little. I like the multiple counters, just needs to be a faster way to some of them.

The reason I like PSU's counter system is this...

In PSO, say you didnt WANT to do Mines, but you really wanted to do Ruins... Most parties were Forest to Falz... In PSU, if I only wanna do, say, Endrum Remnants, I go park my ass in Seabed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZiG on 2006-12-26 06:33 ]</font>

Caves made me cry~nyo. T.T

ZiG
Dec 26, 2006, 09:57 AM
Don't have to make my own team. There's already plenty of teams doing the mission I want to do. And yes they were skippable. So yeah, lets go into a forest to Falz mission and skip Mines while everyone is doing that one and solo Ruins. Great idea.

Ogni-XR21
Dec 26, 2006, 10:06 AM
Off topic:
What does "~nyo" mean?

On topic:
While I had a good time for a few weeks leveling my techs, I have currently hit a new low. I have a Mayrod and a Granarod, can't use a better armor yet, I'm not interested in synthing so right now I have no real goal in the game. I can't solo anything where I could find some good stuff and whenever I play in groups doing some S runs I usually get the scape dolls or moon atomizers (if I'm lucky I end up getting boards for these).
I think they just locked a bit too much content. I wouldn't even need more missions, but I would really like to have some cool Fo stuff to work for. Something like a Striker of Chao or a Summit Moon. Force stuff is very boring for the most part, why does every rod has to look the same? Well the handle has a different color, yay!

So in a nutshell: Give me some missions I can solo as a Foretecher and give me some stuff worth playing for, and I don't mean "Grove of Fanatics C" for a million times so I might get a Gi / Magic...

Alpha-Hunter
Dec 26, 2006, 10:17 AM
more unique, but useless, newbie junk would make most people happy. like release the real hand gun and other lower ranger, force and hunter rares. even though people complain about varistas and DB sabers it was good to find something consistantly. even if it was crap. if psu released more things like that in the beginning, with maybe less frequency than junk in PSO, then the servers would be crowded and the complaints would be less often. people would still complain about something though. IMHO all in all PSU is light years better than PSO. I wouldn't go back to save my life.

Neith
Dec 26, 2006, 10:40 AM
PSU overcomplicates some things, instead of being as simple to pick up and play as PSO was.

There are too many money pools in PSU, and the best areas to make money seem to be the ones everyone plays (I'm looking at you, Parum). Because of that, Neudaiz and Moatoob don't get much love. Considering Neudaiz is my favourite planet by far, it annoys me that I feel forced to grind Parum if I want a game.

PSO had a wider market. You want to cruise through the game at your own leisure, and end up in the better areas? Sure. You want to hardcore grind for an uber-rare? Sure. PSU seems too much like MMO's in the sense that it seems heavily focused on 'the grind'.

Put it this way. I don't think I'll be playing PSU in another 3 years. I found PSO more addictive, but I will say that PSU is still a damn good game, that I enjoy playing.

Edit: The whole 'Forest-Falz' thing is BS, unless you mean TTF. I played long enough, and those games were rare. Most games were TTF/Lost Heat Sword, or in BB, Desert/PoD. To see a team run Forest to Falz was uncommon. The counter system in PSU is what I mean by overcomplicating things. I LOVE Agata Relics, but I absolutely hate Rainbow Beast/Forested Islands. PSU forces me to either waste a character slot and dump it in Agata, or run two monotonous quests so I can reach my destination.

I much prefered the ability to choose directly what I wanted to do, and I really wish PSU used a similar system for joining parties. Sure, you can use the Caseals to teleport to a lobby, but that's no use whatsoever if you're merely looking for an open game. As some people have put it, PSU depends on you having played PSO and gotten some people to play with, otherwise you can be in for a nightmare trying to find a game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2006-12-26 07:48 ]</font>