PDA

View Full Version : 64-bit: separating men from retards since 2003

KodiaX987
Dec 26, 2006, 11:12 PM
I picked up a copy of Windows XP Pro x64 Edition.

Sounds nifty, doesn't it?

My CD isn't an upgrade CD, so I'm forced to format my partition and do a clean install. Before that, though, I install Norton Ghost 10, ghost my Windows 2000 partition and store that in a safe place. My intention is to then pick up that ghost file and recover what I need, such as misc programs and start menu and desktop shortcuts.

So, I'm all set to go. I reboot, format and install. Good point: Win64 boots up from dead cold to alive and ready in less than 45 seconds.

That will be the only good highlight of the evening.

I get my zip of Alcohol 120% and try to install that. I get tons of errors followed by a notice that my OS isn't supported. I write down a note to pick up a 64-bit compatible version along the way.

I download AVG Anti-Virus and run it. Installer refuses to run as well. Somehow, one of the biggest free antivirus makers on the marker hasn't clicked in with the fact that 64-bit architectures have been out since three fucking years ago.

I try my old, grumpy, illegitimate son called Norton Corporate 9. That one too, decided to not even try itself on my 64-bit machine.

After research, I find out Avast! 4 is my only compatible and free option, so I pick that up and quickly install that.

Finally, Norton Ghost 10. If I'm not gonna do anything else tonight, I might just as well pick up my shortcuts folder and restore that, and play a quick game.

Norton Ghost 10, released just last year, is not compatible with 64-bit.

FUCK YOU SYMANTEC. YOU FUCKING RETARDED PIECES OF SHIT.

After upgrading to what I thought was gonna be a boost in power and flexibility, I find myself more constrained than ever before. Less programs to run, much less install. And of course, even today, companies don't even give a flying shit about 64-bit Windows. They make their sales pitch and proclaim that their product is COMPATIBLE WITH ALL OSES INVENTED SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME and there's not even a fucking one-point character to tell me it's making a special exception just for Windows x64.

Now, I'm stuck with an OS that only works halfway the way I want it to work. I can't back up because I can't even use my ghost file. I did the installation procedure without knowing that I could never recover from it, and that if the thing had gone belly up, I would've effectively bricked my system until I could lay my hands on my Win2K CD and start everything over. Of course, I'd have to then redo all my shortcuts and installs all over again, and have to scrape on each of my hard disks for my saved games, documents and other information. And God knows the last thing I want to do is waddle through 620 GBs of folders and files.

If I had known 64-bit would've been such a pain in the ass, I wouldn't have done it. I foolishly thought developers would've caught on and made compatible stuff, and instead, fate bent me over and fucked me up the ass.

KojiroAK
Dec 27, 2006, 12:03 AM
There is only one thing i can say to this:

NCRS (never change a running system)

UnderscoreX
Dec 27, 2006, 12:52 AM
Yes and DRWCS (Don't run while carrying scissors)

Blitzkommando
Dec 27, 2006, 03:37 AM
Ah, yes... the wonders of 64-bit computing. I have been trying to go down that road for months now, unfortunately there is one very major thing that is unsupported by most makers: wireless NICs. Indeed, D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, SMC, and a number of other brands either very partially (as in, one or two cards) or more commonly simply say, "No 64-bit support at this time." Now, this wouldn't be such a big deal if my room wasn't located below the concrete line for the house meaning no direct cabling system, but seeing that is the situation I either go 64-bit or go with having internet.

Every single other piece of hardware I own has 64-bit drivers. There is one company that does have wireless drivers for Windows x64 though: ASUS. Unfortunately it's not for cards, but for the built-in WIFI adapters on the handful of their boards with built-in WIFI. So, essentially, I'd have to buy an entire new system to be wireless and 64-bit.

If anyone knows of a PCI or USB 2.0 based NIC based on 802.11G (Preferably G+ though not necessary and if it has MIMO as well that's even more that I would've ever expected) that is compatible with Windows x64 or more importantly Vista 64-bit I'd love to see it but I have a feeling that those simply don't exist, drivers that is.

Garroway
Dec 27, 2006, 10:59 AM
Looks to me like someone should have done some more research. I tend to side with KojiroAK in these matters.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 27, 2006, 04:37 PM
This sort of thing is precisely what the .NET Framework is for. A program compiled for the .NET Framework doesn't care about the platform, only that .NET is enabled on it. It's Just-In-Time Compiled, which basically means it'll take a while to load up, but will run on just about any system after that.

Look at the bright side, Shuri: If even the Anti-Virus isn't compatible, then most of the viruses are incompatible, as well.

icewyrm
Dec 30, 2006, 10:37 AM
I fiddled with 64-bit xp for a few months, after acquiring a few new bits of hardware I got it all running smoothly- then went back to 32-bit.

Blah.

Tengoku
Jan 1, 2007, 05:29 PM
On 2006-12-26 20:12, KodiaX987 wrote:
After upgrading to what I thought was gonna be a boost in power and flexibility, I find myself more constrained than ever before. Less programs to run, much less install. And of course, even today, companies don't even give a flying shit about 64-bit Windows. They make their sales pitch and proclaim that their product is COMPATIBLE WITH ALL OSES INVENTED SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME and there's not even a fucking one-point character to tell me it's making a special exception just for Windows x64.
Welcome to the world of early adapting. Your pain makes the process easier for those of us who wait five years to try out the "latest" from Microsoft. "Latest" meaning waiting out the curve that Microsoft goes through as they fix/ patch the pre-alpha build they call a finished product. A general rule of thumb is that Microsoft operating systems are worthwhile only after about 3-5 years of patching. Your mileage may vary.

If I had known 64-bit would've been such a pain in the ass, I wouldn't have done it. I foolishly thought developers would've caught on and made compatible stuff, and instead, fate bent me over and fucked me up the ass.
I don't think it's fate... but I assume the operator of your computer had something to do with the issues suffered. You, after all, pressed the "ok" button somewhere during the installation before fully knowing what you were getting into. Next time, do your research beforehand. Tough to do, I'll admit, but the more effort you put into the front end of your project, the easier it will be on your rear end. Trust me, I've been in your shoes more than once. I feel your pain brother!

Lesson Learned: Life sucks. Buy a helmet.

edited 'cause it seems microsoft is difficult to spell

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tengoku on 2007-01-01 14:31 ]</font>

Azraelscross
Jan 7, 2007, 05:59 PM
the only supported 64-bit windows OS is vista really now. they pretty much released Windows XP Pro x64 Edition and ended support for it. barely any companies support it. for Microsoft it was a quick cash in before going on to work on Vista. and was a sucky thing on Microsofts part.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Azraelscross on 2007-01-07 15:01 ]</font>

hollowtip
Jan 10, 2007, 07:22 PM
Bleh

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2007-01-10 16:25 ]</font>

Jared_T
Jan 11, 2007, 05:26 PM
On 2006-12-26 20:12, KodiaX987 wrote:
I picked up a copy of Windows XP Pro x64 Edition.

Sounds nifty, doesn't it?

My CD isn't an upgrade CD, so I'm forced to format my partition and do a clean install. Before that, though, I install Norton Ghost 10, ghost my Windows 2000 partition and store that in a safe place. My intention is to then pick up that ghost file and recover what I need, such as misc programs and start menu and desktop shortcuts.

So, I'm all set to go. I reboot, format and install. Good point: Win64 boots up from dead cold to alive and ready in less than 45 seconds.

That will be the only good highlight of the evening.

I get my zip of Alcohol 120% and try to install that. I get tons of errors followed by a notice that my OS isn't supported. I write down a note to pick up a 64-bit compatible version along the way.

I download AVG Anti-Virus and run it. Installer refuses to run as well. Somehow, one of the biggest free antivirus makers on the marker hasn't clicked in with the fact that 64-bit architectures have been out since three fucking years ago.

I try my old, grumpy, illegitimate son called Norton Corporate 9. That one too, decided to not even try itself on my 64-bit machine.

After research, I find out Avast! 4 is my only compatible and free option, so I pick that up and quickly install that.

Finally, Norton Ghost 10. If I'm not gonna do anything else tonight, I might just as well pick up my shortcuts folder and restore that, and play a quick game.

Norton Ghost 10, released just last year, is not compatible with 64-bit.

FUCK YOU SYMANTEC. YOU FUCKING RETARDED PIECES OF SHIT.

Now, I'm stuck with an OS that only works halfway the way I want it to work. I can't back up because I can't even use my ghost file. I did the installation procedure without knowing that I could never recover from it, and that if the thing had gone belly up, I would've effectively bricked my system until I could lay my hands on my Win2K CD and start everything over. Of course, I'd have to then redo all my shortcuts and installs all over again, and have to scrape on each of my hard disks for my saved games, documents and other information. And God knows the last thing I want to do is waddle through 620 GBs of folders and files.

Interesting I did the samething about a year and a half ago. To my "display" machine at my shop.
The free version of AVG is not 64-bit compatible but if you buy it its fine. And beware the Avast AV, if I remember right it turns out to only be a 30 day trial.

And so far as I know the only people really writing software for 64-bit hardware are OS devlopers. Well there are alot of software devlopers working on making 64 bit software but I doubt it will get wide stream untill Microsoft fources Vista on the masses.