PDA

View Full Version : How long do you think PSU will last?

Aeternus
Dec 27, 2006, 04:34 PM
We are only two months in, and already we only have ONE universe that is usually full or close to full, with all the others being ghost towns. I don't see a dramatic increase in players anytime soon, and only people that tried PSU for a while and have already dropped off. I think this is due to many reasons, like Sega holding back (too much) content. I have no problem with them holding back a lot of the end game stuff, so soon, but to only release a handful of missions, and nothing else really to speak of? Come on!

Sega is ruining this game, and I don't see any way of it coming back to life. Not saying it's dead, but its not what PSO was, which was a rich community of people all over the world. With JP and US seperate, we lose a lot there as well. I am finding the US crowed to be overly immature, and really, not all that fun to party with. It's a shame, as I don't play every day, so I don't really have any friends I can msg to create a party with at any time.

Anyway, Where do you see PSU in one year? Do you think anybody will be left playing? I expect the hardcore Phantasy Star players out there to still be hacking away at the game, but I sadly see it going downhill very fast. It's sad, becuase I did have such high hopes for this game, and while it can be fun, and exciting; There just doesn't seem to be that edge that makes me coming back for more the way PSO did on Dreamcast back in the day.

I'm not giving up yet though! I hope Sega can redeem themselves.

Mystil
Dec 27, 2006, 04:39 PM
First:

Sega is ruining this game
No.

Secondly I'll give the population til June before Uni1 is 1 star.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mystil on 2006-12-27 13:39 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Dec 27, 2006, 04:39 PM
Until I stop playing.

Kirip-san
Dec 27, 2006, 04:40 PM
On 2006-12-27 13:39, Garnet_Moon wrote:
Until I stop playing.

Aeternus
Dec 27, 2006, 04:41 PM
Once US servers population is near nothing, sega will not bother updating any sort of content, and only focus on the japanese version since that one has a much better chance of staying around for a LOT longer. I see them getting the expension pack, and we will not. Now i'm realizing I should have imported.

Kai_reborn
Dec 27, 2006, 04:41 PM
Two words, Expansion Pack.

DizzyDi
Dec 27, 2006, 04:44 PM
On 2006-12-27 13:41, Aeternus wrote:
Once US servers population is near nothing, sega will not bother updating any sort of content, and only focus on the japanese version since that one has a much better chance of staying around for a LOT longer. I see them getting the expension pack, and we will not. Now i'm realizing I should have imported.

pfft, thats a buncha BS. If Sega is smart they'll GIVE US the expansion to boost the population.

Aeternus
Dec 27, 2006, 04:47 PM
On 2006-12-27 13:44, DizzyDi wrote:

pfft, thats a buncha BS. If Sega is smart they'll GIVE US the expansion to boost the population.

Not going to happen.

Sega also should have made the montly fee MUCH less.. I think 5 dollars is fair for a game that is NOT a MMORPG... basically it's a graphical MUD. They should have went guild wars route..

Akaimizu
Dec 27, 2006, 04:51 PM
The Guild Wars route probably would've attracted more, and they would still get the same amount of money from people. Which is exactly what Guild Wars does.

Guild Wars, you still pretty much pay for all the content and it still adds up to about $10 a month if you follow the expansions, in a timely manner. However, it's generally a more attractive consumer selling method by *masking* the monthly fee aspect, for those who stick with the game. On the other hand, if you say *screw the updates*, you pay much less in Guild Wars.

On the other hand, there's nothing quite like Phantasy Star, so I plan to be on this for quite a while. I'm already enjoying the combat more, and when it comes down to it (outside of getting great weapons) a combat engine, and good company to work with, is where the *real* fun is, and why we ultimately stick around.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2006-12-27 13:53 ]</font>

Aeternus
Dec 27, 2006, 04:58 PM
I was actually expecting more out of the combat engine. I thought it would be more combo based action oriented, but it's still kind of straight forward hack and slash style. It's not bad, but I don't think it is overly upgraded from PSO. I guess I was expecting more of an action game in a RPG setting.

Ffuzzy-Logik
It'll slowly drop off until we have the 200-300 who stayed on BB till the end, and we'll keep on playing despite lack of updates until they take down the server or release the next installment.

Sychosis
I dunno, I think Penn State will be around for a good while http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Mystil
Dec 27, 2006, 04:59 PM
On 2006-12-27 13:47, Aeternus wrote:

Not going to happen.

Sega also should have made the montly fee MUCH less.. I think 5 dollars is fair for a game that is NOT a MMORPG... basically it's a graphical MUD. They should have went guild wars route..

Well go pay 12.95 + 1.00 for additional characters for FFXI.

10$/mo PSU plus no fee for extra characters.

Akaimizu
Dec 27, 2006, 04:59 PM
Actually, it is more combo oriented. Especially off each other. You should see our groups play. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Aeternus
Dec 27, 2006, 05:01 PM
Don't compare PSU to FFXI. FFXI is a MMORPG. PSU is not. They can justify the 12.95 becuase they have CONTENT. I'm not saying FFXI is a better game, but you are talking apples and oranges here.

Valius
Dec 27, 2006, 05:01 PM

Not going to happen.

I have to disagree about the expansion, Sega has already invested a bit in setting up servers and the like to just give up so easily. So, while an expansion is not a sure thing for the US I think it's far from "not going to happen".

Also, PSU may be hurting but if you compare it to a lot of the games Sega has been putting out lately it's almost the crown jewel. Besides I doubt they want to lose all those monthly fee$ they are collecting.

Well, that's my 2 cents anyways.

Ether
Dec 27, 2006, 05:05 PM
First: There is no expansion please please PLEASE stop talking about it

Second: I predict a massive population drop at the end of May when people who got the 6 month plan subscriptions end

Aeternus
Dec 27, 2006, 05:09 PM
On 2006-12-27 14:05, Ether wrote:

Second: I predict a massive population drop at the end of May when people who got the 6 month plan subscriptions end

Agreed.

regarding the expansion though..

http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/secret/

Mystil
Dec 27, 2006, 05:10 PM
Oh fuck it. I'm tired of these hate PSU threads. I'm out of this.

And don't go thinking "Im just mad cause you're telling the truth". Hardly, I love this game and do not see the issues you're all blowing out of proportion to be that serious at all. Compared to those fucked up PSO version, I am in heaven!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mystil on 2006-12-27 14:12 ]</font>

Aeternus
Dec 27, 2006, 05:13 PM
Nobody is saying they hate PSU.. we are just discussing some issues that we feel need attention.

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 05:15 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/CrashDivide/oranges.jpg

Valius
Dec 27, 2006, 05:20 PM
On 2006-12-27 14:05, Ether wrote:

For the record, I was under the impression that the "expansion" referrenced was a "what if" scenario.

Chris28
Dec 27, 2006, 05:22 PM
if they added us to the japanese servers and used some sort of translation patch, it'd be great.

Flamingo99
Dec 27, 2006, 05:23 PM
I'm probably going to leave soon. This game just got old for me. PSO used to be really fun (maybe because I was younger then). PSU on the other hand seems like nothing more than a "grind-fest."

Aeternus
Dec 27, 2006, 05:26 PM
It really is just a grinding fest... like the continuous De Ragon runs for 18 hours straight.. man, how repetitive can you really get? While it's fun for a while, I just need content! One reason games like World of Warcraft took off so well, is the game is very well put together. There are hardly any "zoning" it's very fluid from place to place with minimal loading.. hundreds, maybe thousands of quests to take on, solo, group, raid, etc. While that game certainly has it's flaws, there is much more to do than just grind all day long.

Rubius-sama
Dec 27, 2006, 05:29 PM
@OP: You're right about one thing - the lack of content is destroying the game. I know this for a fact because a bunch of friends and I from RF Online decided to pick up PSU but we ran out of things to do so quick, we all quit. I had even paid for a 6 month sub so it wasn't even a matter of money....it was just a waste of time.

Only way to save this game is to release all the content NOW. Every little bit of it, and then make even more.

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 05:33 PM
On 2006-12-27 14:26, Aeternus wrote:
It really is just a grinding fest... like the continuous De Ragon runs for 18 hours straight.. man, how repetitive can you really get?

And who's fault is it that all you do is De Ragan? Don't blame Sega.

Aeternus
Dec 27, 2006, 05:34 PM
Actually I do blame sega, becuase of the flaw of cancelling a mission after you beat the boss, so you can start over and run through it again and again, while retaining all the EXP.

EJ
Dec 27, 2006, 05:34 PM
the expansion pack people are referring to is ep2 online story. It continuing where story mode left off.

Tear
Dec 27, 2006, 05:38 PM
On 2006-12-27 14:34, Aeternus wrote:
Actually I do blame sega, becuase of the flaw of cancelling a mission after you beat the boss, so you can start over and run through it again and again, while retaining all the EXP.

People would just find ways to get back to base faster OR do Sleeping Warriors which exits back to the base again. Back to square 1.

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 05:39 PM
And because of that "flaw", you're unable to go do any other missions? LOL... please refer to my previous emo oranges post.

zandra117
Dec 27, 2006, 05:41 PM

Lets make a petition to get sonicteam to make it so that you don't get the mission score/prize untill you go through the gate to enter the next field lobby.

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 05:42 PM
Yes, great idea. And then everyone that bitches about having to actually travel to the mission counters will never shut up.

Tear
Dec 27, 2006, 05:42 PM
On 2006-12-27 14:41, zandra117 wrote:

Lets make a petition to get sonicteam to make it so that you don't get the mission score/prize untill you go through the gate to enter the next field lobby.

and make more people quit in the process! Great idea!

Kirip-san
Dec 27, 2006, 05:47 PM
On 2006-12-27 14:42, ZiG wrote:
Yes, great idea. And then everyone that bitches about having to actually travel to the mission counters will never shut up.

Those people make us NAs look spoiled and bad~nyo.

Shadow_Wing
Dec 27, 2006, 05:50 PM
I'm unsure the path that PSU will take at this moment in time, cause personally I don't really see the current population to decrease drastically anytime soon, then again I could very well be wrong as well.

I try not to predict the outcome of what is to come, instead I'll just play the game until my good friends move on, and only then will I really quit PSU.

Btw, if u complain about doing 18 hours of De Ragon, it an't anyone's fault but ur own >>;

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 05:51 PM
Yes they do.

Honestly, where I see PSU in a year? A complete utopia, a paradise. Nirvana in the desert, because most of the whiners will have left by then.

Ether
Dec 27, 2006, 05:55 PM
Enjoy your empty server!

DoubleJG
Dec 27, 2006, 05:56 PM
PSU won't last as long as the PSO saga has. Easily by the end of next year (if not sooner) the English population will drop down to probably no more than 3 stars all around. Die hard fans will continue to play and I myself will most likely leave once all content (atleast for the US, because I have a feeling we'll experience the same fate as PSOBB did) has been released and I have done it all, tried it all, and hit the final level caps with atleast one of the rarest weapons (ie: Psycho Wand).

PSU doesn't hold my attention anymore as PSO did and still does. Sure I still play, I'm paid up until the end of May. I'll continue my subscription for another 6 months after that assuming Gamegaurd doesn't make my game literally unplayable...as it recently made me drop ALL my settings to low & off :'(

Merumeru
Dec 27, 2006, 05:58 PM
XD eh itll be around til Phantasy Star Saga of course http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

HiKeRI
Dec 27, 2006, 06:00 PM
I just think PSU don't got the fame to draw players out of other games, like only a few players will just need that spark to move out of any other MMO or Online game that exist outthere, maybe PSO had a big community but so far those people that existed backthen maybe are in GW, FFXI, (i bet all of them are on WOW), RF Online and so on, and to tell you a short joke.. My friend saw a trailer of PSU and he though it sucked he perfers to stay in Runescape than move outa his char to PSU (Not scrwng with the game just saying what he said).

EDIT: Maybe PSU Pc/Ps2 looks dead, but X360 is still alive though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I bet it'll live for a long time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HiKeRI on 2006-12-27 15:02 ]</font>

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 06:00 PM
Here's a little newsflash for you, Ether.

You can only fit 6 people into a mission.

Zomg! Looks like all I need is 6 people on a server, lawl! Coincidentally, I have more than 6 friends! (crazy, I know), who are my friends because... gasp! They think the same way! So I know they'll still be around, and I know we aren't the only ones that care.

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 06:06 PM
See that's the thing, Hikeri... Alot of my friends in my FFXI linkshell said the same. "That game looks really bad." But I conned some into playing and now they're hardcore PSUers.

PSU is a great game, and look, it's better than alot of other games/MMOs coming out in the near future (Korea, the world's leading MMO producer, has alot of utter crap lined up for this next year), so I have faith in PSU's staying ability at least for the next year.

zandra117
Dec 27, 2006, 06:10 PM
On 2006-12-27 14:42, Tear wrote:

On 2006-12-27 14:41, zandra117 wrote:

and make more people quit in the process! Great idea!

people wont quit because of a small change like that, it would help spread out the online populations instead of everyone in raffon field all the time.

JAFO22000
Dec 27, 2006, 06:11 PM
So....the OP is upset because SEGA "hasn't released enough content", yet he spams De Ragan for 18 hours straight????.....THEN get's mad at SEGA, because you CAN spam it???

I can hit myself in the head with a hammer repeatedly, but I won't blame Stanley for making hammers hard....

All they can do is present a product. How you use it is up to you. Don't blame the manufacturer if you aren't using it correctly. My solution would be to learn how to use the product, or don't use the product at all.

This is just ridiculous.....

Ether
Dec 27, 2006, 06:12 PM
On 2006-12-27 15:00, ZiG wrote:

This coming from the guy who couldnt find THREE people to do ruins with him on pso

DonRoyale
We'll let time tell.

Until then, you should all shut up. Play the game if you like it, GTFO if you don't. Simple as that.

HiKeRI
Yeah, i still think it'll need some more fame, maybe some promotion, because if im not mistaken this game really haves that skill to be amazing.

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 06:14 PM
On 2006-12-27 15:12, Ether wrote:

On 2006-12-27 15:00, ZiG wrote:

This coming from the guy who couldnt find THREE people to do ruins with him on pso

This coming from the one who didn't know there were Mission Counters in PSU

-Dainslef-
Dec 27, 2006, 06:15 PM
It's a grind-fest, and a pretty one at that. It's not an awful game, but it's nothing special, and has room to get boring fast. God knows I'm getting pretty bored with it (and no, I don't run the same crap over and over again, I do whatever I'm in the mood for, regardless of points and all that).

What it ultimately comes down to is the lack of content. MMO or not, PSU doesn't have 1/100th the content that monthly fee RPG games like FFXI, EQ, and WoW do. PSU's world is smaller by leaps and bounds. Its bestiary is miniscule compared to those games. Variation in equipment is far smaller than any of those games. And more than any of those factors, in terms of story/plot, PSU outright fails. Other RPGs have innovative encounters with exotic ideas for combat and intrigue, particarly games like WoW.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not even an MMO fan. They're all grind fests too, to one extent or another. It's just a matter of time before any game stops being "fun".

PSU is just a hack and slash fest. Which is fun for a while. But it doesn't have the lasting appeal to be a game I'd play for even 6 months. Only the really hardcore crowd will stay that long, without some serious content updates. Fortunately, they're bringing them along here and there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Dainslef- on 2006-12-27 15:16 ]</font>

Ether
Dec 27, 2006, 06:16 PM
On 2006-12-27 15:14, ZiG wrote:
This coming from the one who didn't know there were Mission Counters in PSU

Holy shit, you really are stupid

Not even gunna bother with this anymore

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 06:17 PM
Poor, poor Ether. Come at me and can't take what's thrown back. ; ;

Valius
Dec 27, 2006, 06:19 PM
How long do you think PSU will last?

Longer than these flame wars I'll bet. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

-Dainslef-
Dec 27, 2006, 06:22 PM
On 2006-12-27 15:19, Valius wrote:
How long do you think PSU will last?

Longer than these flame wars I'll bet. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

It might... I doubt it, though =p

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 06:34 PM
On 2006-12-27 15:15, -Dainslef- wrote:
It's a grind-fest, and a pretty one at that. It's not an awful game, but it's nothing special, and has room to get boring fast. God knows I'm getting pretty bored with it (and no, I don't run the same crap over and over again, I do whatever I'm in the mood for, regardless of points and all that).

What it ultimately comes down to is the lack of content. MMO or not, PSU doesn't have 1/100th the content that monthly fee RPG games like FFXI, EQ, and WoW do. PSU's world is smaller by leaps and bounds. Its bestiary is miniscule compared to those games. Variation in equipment is far smaller than any of those games. And more than any of those factors, in terms of story/plot, PSU outright fails. Other RPGs have innovative encounters with exotic ideas for combat and intrigue, particarly games like WoW.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not even an MMO fan. They're all grind fests too, to one extent or another. It's just a matter of time before any game stops being "fun".

PSU is just a hack and slash fest. Which is fun for a while. But it doesn't have the lasting appeal to be a game I'd play for even 6 months. Only the really hardcore crowd will stay that long, without some serious content updates. Fortunately, they're bringing them along here and there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Dainslef- on 2006-12-27 15:16 ]</font>

Well put, and I do agree, but I guess for me, after playing MMOs for so long, I'm unwinding with PSU, so to speak.

Aeternus
Dec 27, 2006, 06:37 PM
Ok first thing.. I never said I did De Ragan runs for 18 hours straight.. i'm just stating the fact that the flaw is there for people to exploit, which in turn creates an unfair balance in the game for people who choose not to run through mundane routine runs to grind for hours straight. People that do this, have every right to do this, becuase sega never fixed the flaw, but i'm just stating that if it did not exist, the game could be more balanced.

I always grin at this fanboys that stick up for sega or any other company for that matter, despite the obvious flaws. It is our right as a consumer to give feedback about their products, beucase we are ultimately the ones who keep these companies in business.

Sega really dropped the bomb on this game, despite its potential. It IS a fun game, to an extent.. however, the point of this whole "flame war" is to point out a few things, such as their montly fee's they implement, are NOT justified by the content they have thus far released. Should we continue to pay for content that we already paid for? NO. It's just silly.

One thing I DO like about PSU and PSO is the ease of playability. It's one of a few MMO games where you can just jump in and play anytime, and no worry about what you missed, or how far behehind you are becuase you haven't had time to play for a week or two. You can jump right in and start playing, and it's fun.. just how long will it remain fun is up to SEGA.

Some of you guys just need to chill out.. i'm not trying to fight with anybody http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Play on!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aeternus on 2006-12-27 15:40 ]</font>

Ryoki
Dec 27, 2006, 06:41 PM
On 2006-12-27 15:37, Aeternus wrote:
Ok first this.. I never said I did De Ragan runs for 18 hours straight.. i'm just stating the fact that the flaw is there for people to exploit, which in turn creates an unfair balance in the game for people who choose not to run through mundane routine runs to grind for hours straight. People that do this, have every right to do this, becuase sega never fixed the flaw, but i'm just stating that if it did not exist, the game could be more balanced.

I always grin at this fanboys that stick up for sega or any other company for that matter, despite the obvious flaws. It is our right as a consumer to give feedback about their products, beucase we are ultimately the ones who keep these companies in business.

Sega really dropped the bomb on this game, despite its potential. It IS a fun game, to an extent.. however, the point of this whole "flame war" is to point out a few things, such as their montly fee's they implement, are NOT justified by the content they have thus far released. Should we continue to pay for content that we already paid for? NO. It's just silly.

One thing I DO like about PSU and PSO is the ease of playability. It's one of a few MMO games where you can just jump in and play anytime, and no worry about what you missed, or how far behehind you are becuase you haven't had time to play for a week or two. You can jump right in and start playing, and it's fun.. just how long will it remain fun is up to SEGA.

Some of you guys just need to chill out.. i'm not trying to fight with anybody http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Play on!

Eh, don't take it personally, PSO-W has recently become famous for its flame wars. >.>

JAFO22000
Dec 27, 2006, 06:43 PM
You think this is a flaw, and I believe they have it in there for a reason. They could EASILY fix this by making the "Abandon Mission" option return you to the city of origin. But then THIS could be bypassed as well.

It's not a "flaw". It's an option that people take advantage of, but no flaw. You could play the game the way you see fit and, if you wanted to, go all the way through from, say, Mad Creatures to Lab Remnants. Nothing says you have to quit to lobby after De Ragan. That's the parties choice...

Aeternus
Dec 27, 2006, 06:46 PM
I've noticed.. as you can see i've been a member since 2001, but have remained a lurker. I haven't really felt the need to post to much.

I was hoping for PSU to bring back the good days of PSO on the DC.. the early days when a ton of people played and had fun. Now, with PSU, the game doesn't really bring you on the edge of your seat, because if you die, then you are pretty much shunned from a group for the most part. The game is way too easy, and even when you find a hard moment, the rewards are very few and far between.

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 06:46 PM
I wasn't fightin' til Ether showed up. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

And I do agree, but I think it was just bad planning on Sega's part. I believe their reasons for locking content were pure, it's just that they went about it wrong. They didn't want to put out things we wouldn't be able to do, i.e. S ranks, expert types, because we'd be too low level. What they didn't count on was our ability to GET to that level faster than they thought. In a nutshell, yes, I agree they locked too much content, but now it's being unlocked, so chill?

I'm not a Sega fanboy, and infact, I was never really much of a Sega fan, in general. I'm a video game fan. If it's good, I don't care who made it. Sure I have preferences, but I turn down TYPES of games, not publishers, because I know what types of games I enjoy.

And as for the ease of playability, that's exactly what I meant when I said PSU is me unwinding from years of MMORPGs. And it's my main selling point when I try to convince friends from FFXI to come to PSU. "You can do shit whenever you want, no schedule, no lfp for hours. If you only have 30 mins, you can just go jump right into a mission and get something accomplished."

That's why I liked PSO, that's why I like PSU.

AlieNxxxxxxxx
Dec 27, 2006, 06:49 PM
On 2006-12-27 13:34, Aeternus wrote:
We are only two months in, and already we only have ONE universe that is usually full or close to full, with all the others being ghost towns. I don't see a dramatic increase in players anytime soon, and only people that tried PSU for a while and have already dropped off. I think this is due to many reasons, like Sega holding back (too much) content. I have no problem with them holding back a lot of the end game stuff, so soon, but to only release a handful of missions, and nothing else really to speak of? Come on!

Sega is ruining this game, and I don't see any way of it coming back to life. Not saying it's dead, but its not what PSO was, which was a rich community of people all over the world. With JP and US seperate, we lose a lot there as well. I am finding the US crowed to be overly immature, and really, not all that fun to party with. It's a shame, as I don't play every day, so I don't really have any friends I can msg to create a party with at any time.

Anyway, Where do you see PSU in one year? Do you think anybody will be left playing? I expect the hardcore Phantasy Star players out there to still be hacking away at the game, but I sadly see it going downhill very fast. It's sad, becuase I did have such high hopes for this game, and while it can be fun, and exciting; There just doesn't seem to be that edge that makes me coming back for more the way PSO did on Dreamcast back in the day.

Cry? Would you like a box of kleenex?

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 06:52 PM
On 2006-12-27 15:46, Aeternus wrote:

...because if you die, then you are pretty much shunned from a group for the most part.

This I also agree with, and is the only real downer for me. Because sometimes it's fucking hilarious when people die, because of how it happened or whatnot, and it makes it fun, yet how they have it set up, no one CAN have those fun moments because they're too upset about losing meseta and mission points.

Missions should just give you a set reward of Meseta and Mission Points, regardless of deaths or time spent, and just make the missions harder to reflect the trade-off. Lower ranks for people who come in late, like it is now. If the mission is hard enough on the difficulty setting (i.e. C, B, A or S) and you can just get to the END, that should be enough to get the S rank reward.

-Dainslef-
Dec 27, 2006, 06:52 PM
It's also worth noting that this game completely lacks challenge (unless you call Megid a challenge).

EQ, WoW, FFXI, all that crap... what stops you from having the best items in the game? You can't get them, you're too weak. The bosses are hard. The enemies are hard. And there's a small luck factor.

What stops you from getting the best items in PSU? Lots of luck, and epic ammounts of farming. Is anything hard? Not really. A group of 6 level 55s (and even then, that's only because of the level requirement) with C rank weapons could do the hardest S rank missions in the game without too much trouble. It'd take time, they might die, but it would still be easier than some of the easiest boss fights in most other games.

The game's just too easy. Ridiculously easy. If EQ ended with farming Lower Guk for months on end instead of Planes, if FFXI ended at Kuftal (was that it? the worms? I forget) instead of Dyamis and all that, if WoW ended at Blackrock Depths instead of UBRS/Core/WTFE-it-is-now, they would all be crappy games that nobody would care about 6 months later.

As it is now, that's what PSU is shaping up to be. I'm only hoping that HIVE S is anywhere near as difficult as people make it out to be.

HiKeRI
Dec 27, 2006, 06:56 PM
I've noticed.. as you can see i've been a member since 2001, but have remained a lurker. I haven't really felt the need to post to much.

I was hoping for PSU to bring back the good days of PSO on the DC.. the early days when a ton of people played and had fun. Now, with PSU, the game doesn't really bring you on the edge of your seat, because if you die, then you are pretty much shunned from a group for the most part. The game is way too easy, and even when you find a hard moment, the rewards are very few and far between.

The thing that it'll need is a sort of Ballista in it, that'll have restriction to PA's adjusted stuffs and suchs, a real open field area, better looking clothes not the g4y ones i seen so far, should gimp the PA's for a point where you dont need to use it all the freken time (more like FFXI where a gauge will fill out then you unleash it)and weekly "Events" or "Tournaments"

Ryoki
Dec 27, 2006, 06:57 PM
The thing I love about PS is that you can truly take down anything if you try hard enough, whereas some games have monsters you actually can't kill until much later.

BTW: You can't say this game lacks challenge until you solo S rank at around level 45-50. That is insanity, and fun as hell.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryoki on 2006-12-27 15:58 ]</font>

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 06:57 PM
Dainslef, once upon a time, King Ranperre's Tomb was the highest level zone in FFXI. It took them what, a year to add Rise of the Zilart and Sky? PSU hasn't been around that long, either. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

-Dainslef-
Dec 27, 2006, 06:59 PM
Yeah, fact is though, it's done. The game has been made, the fan base has been established, and there isn't a lot they can do about it now.

They'll do what they can to keep the people already here, here, but they aren't going to do anything involving spending large chunks of money. It's just not economical.

Likely, they'll just bait us along with new PAs and missions here and there to keep it just interesting enough for us to not cancel. But eventually, it'll wither.

Ryoki
Dec 27, 2006, 07:02 PM
On 2006-12-27 15:49, AlieNxxxxxxxx wrote:

Cry? Would you like a box of kleenex?

Yeah, I could shove it down your throat to end this stupid flame war you are starting. Choking to death FTW.

-Dainslef-
Dec 27, 2006, 07:03 PM
FFXI has an ENORMOUS player base, relatively speaking.

If you have, say, 50,000 players (I think FFXI had about 200k at its peak, but probably only 50k were americans), that's about 750k a month for FFXI.

If you have, say, 4,000 players (which seems pretty realistic for PSU right now, maybe even optomistic), that's 40k a month for PSU.

So, by those figures, which are probably horribly inaccurate (in which direction, who knows), if SEGA is economically reasonable, we can expect about 1/18th the content additions of FFXI.

And this doesn't even take into account the whole hard drive thing.

EDIT: I guess my point is, the game doesn't have players because it's not a good enough game, and it won't become a better game because it doesn't have enough players.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Dainslef- on 2006-12-27 16:07 ]</font>

HiKeRI
Dec 27, 2006, 07:04 PM
On 2006-12-27 15:57, ZiG wrote:
Dainslef, once upon a time, King Ranperre's Tomb was the highest level zone in FFXI. It took them what, a year to add Rise of the Zilart and Sky? PSU hasn't been around that long, either. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Different point is that while it took them a year, people who reached that lv to train in there, it took them a year aswell.

Witchblade56
Dec 27, 2006, 07:15 PM
Rofl @ Dain and Zig you guys say exactly what im thinkin [or pretty close to what im thinking] with one exception.

I got this game for the pure reason that i can pick it up and bam immediately set about what it is i want to do.

FFXI is a different dynamic, to get a single item out of end game you sometimes wait weeks/months due to waiting in line for others to get. Oh LOL it also takes -more than six- people to get any of the more desired items in game. Here in PSU you find the board you craft it and bam instant gratification.

What balances PSU out for me is that i still play FFXI.

Anywho im happy with PSU. I have my PMs im growing and items i am crafting for friends.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Witchblade56 on 2006-12-27 16:23 ]</font>

Tear
Dec 27, 2006, 07:15 PM
On 2006-12-27 15:56, HiKeRI wrote:

The thing that it'll need is a sort of Ballista in it, that'll have restriction to PA's adjusted stuffs and suchs, a real open field area, better looking clothes not the g4y ones i seen so far, should gimp the PA's for a point where you dont need to use it all the freken time (more like FFXI where a gauge will fill out then you unleash it) and weekly "Events" or "Tournaments"

Woops, game just got harder 100 fold. But I like watching monsters fly across the screen. T.T

On 2006-12-27 15:57, ZiG wrote:

Bring your own eye drops plz. Caution: Big purple wyrm on the loose, you may be eaten.

ProfessorZ
Dec 27, 2006, 07:24 PM
Rerelease PSO I & II on the 360 for free

Garnet_Moon
Dec 27, 2006, 07:25 PM
On 2006-12-27 16:15, Witchblade56 wrote:
FFXI is a different dynamic, to get a single item out of end game you sometimes wait weeks/months due to waiting in line for others to get. Here in PSU you find the board you craft it and bam instant depression when it breaks.

I went ahead and fixed that for you. You can give me cookies as thanks later. :3

-Dainslef-
Dec 27, 2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah, the PM was fun for a while, until it got bombed... ¬.¬

Witchblade56
Dec 27, 2006, 07:29 PM
Youre PM got bombed >:[ ?

Merumeru
Dec 27, 2006, 07:37 PM
XD i still cant find any reason to go back to any mmorpg after playing this; and im not inexperienced either >P

-Dainslef-
Dec 27, 2006, 07:40 PM
I'm not saying I'd go back to other MMORPG's, but this gets boring quick. At least, for the vast majority of the population.

And yeah, bombed like.. baboom.

Garnet_Moon
Dec 27, 2006, 07:49 PM
On 2006-12-27 16:37, Merumeru wrote:
XD i still cant find any reason to go back to any mmorpg after playing this; and im not inexperienced either >P

75BRD 75 SMN in FFXI, and what do I have to show for it? About 3 cuts on my wrist, multiple bruises on my head as I pounded my head against my desk to stop the emo rants people made in /ls chat, and a dependancy on cats. :

Itchee
Dec 27, 2006, 07:53 PM
On 2006-12-27 15:52, -Dainslef- wrote:
It's also worth noting that this game completely lacks challenge (unless you call Megid a challenge).

EQ, WoW, FFXI, all that crap... what stops you from having the best items in the game? You can't get them, you're too weak. The bosses are hard. The enemies are hard. And there's a small luck factor.

What stops you from getting the best items in PSU? Lots of luck, and epic ammounts of farming. Is anything hard? Not really. A group of 6 level 55s (and even then, that's only because of the level requirement) with C rank weapons could do the hardest S rank missions in the game without too much trouble. It'd take time, they might die, but it would still be easier than some of the easiest boss fights in most other games.

The game's just too easy. Ridiculously easy. If EQ ended with farming Lower Guk for months on end instead of Planes, if FFXI ended at Kuftal (was that it? the worms? I forget) instead of Dyamis and all that, if WoW ended at Blackrock Depths instead of UBRS/Core/WTFE-it-is-now, they would all be crappy games that nobody would care about 6 months later.

As it is now, that's what PSU is shaping up to be. I'm only hoping that HIVE S is anywhere near as difficult as people make it out to be.

-Dainslef-
Dec 27, 2006, 07:54 PM
On 2006-12-27 16:49, Garnet_Moon wrote:
75BRD 75 SMN in FFXI, and what do I have to show for it? About 3 cuts on my wrist, multiple bruises on my head as I pounded my head against my desk to stop the emo rants people made in /ls chat, and a dependancy on cats. :

Hmmm... j/k =)

So Meru, how's being a Protranser beast going? Wish you were a human at all? I was thinking about changing classes for the heck of it.

MayLee
Dec 27, 2006, 07:57 PM
Give it some time, heck create an angry mob and bumrush Sega team to get rid of some the the guvenile hackers. It's mostly that, that people refuse to come back. They are taking our love for this game away from us..REVOLT I SAY

-Ryuki-
Dec 27, 2006, 08:00 PM
PSU in my opinion will never bore me out. However, if none of my friends are on, or it's just a "slow" day, I do have alternatives to play. WoW (yeah yeah, I know the controversy with it), and CoH (hey, super heroes rock =X) are my alternatives. That, and.. my former manager, as well as current manager both play WoW. Once I move, it'll be the only way for me to keep in contact with them, so that's a plus.

CoH on the other hand~ I only played the trial for about 4-5, maybe 6 days, liked it, but stopped playing it because I knew no one. Thought I'd give it another whirl.

FFXi I need to get back into, though..

ZiG
Dec 27, 2006, 08:05 PM
I'm a 75 THF, NIN, BLM, WAR and RNG, I've been playing FFXI for as long as it's been out in NA, and I still love the game and still play it (I always have both FFXI and PSU running), I guess that shows you how relaxed I am with the games. I don't mind the grind.

Tita
Dec 27, 2006, 08:24 PM
i'm not keen on the seperate servers... i'm well aware that at least 5 buddies i know are on xbox (i'm ps2/pc) and that's my biggest and only bummer atm.

on PSU being "easy": i've always seen PSU to be a goofy escape from the likes of WoW, FFXI, Guild Wars, and what have you. it's a breed apart.

Alisha
Dec 27, 2006, 08:44 PM
i think psu is resigned to the same fate as pso epsisode 3 card because its too one dimensional. just like a footbal team that gets served because they pass all day. sometimes they will get lucky and connect a deep bomb(sweet update) but eventually the other team(boredom) will get an interception. if im gonna grind all day id rather go to a game where the rewards for doing so are greater. meh maybee im just bitter because i burned myself out badly on pso over the course of 4 years, and it didnt take long for the same thing to happen in psu. or perhaps expectations were far greater than they could ever live up too.

MXdude
Dec 27, 2006, 09:19 PM
On 2006-12-27 13:58, Sychosis wrote:
I dunno, I think Penn State will be around for a good while http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

It better, thats where im going to college next year http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-Shimarisu-
Dec 27, 2006, 10:00 PM
Thank christ I switched to 360.

2000+ subs in the last week, most are japanese, 2 unis usually full, one star in uni 13 (French server) one in uni 16 (jp server), and, uh....

Horrendous slowdown. Still. Ah well.

MayLee
Dec 27, 2006, 10:08 PM
I didn't know there was a French and Japanese server.

PaladinRPG
Dec 27, 2006, 10:10 PM
I do see that population drop off in May occuring, but I feel the community now is pretty stable it seems, and the quality of groups has definitely gone up as those that stay are the really dedicated and skilled. Unfortunately it really does only fill up a uni or two at peak time, and that does feel a little depressing. :/

I'm fully supportive of a JP server linking of some sort if it were possible, so PSU is international and unified like PSO was. I actually enjoyed trying to talk with english-speaking Japanese people and make some trans-pacific fast friends. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Garnet_Moon
Dec 27, 2006, 10:18 PM
On 2006-12-27 19:17, Nukei wrote:
5 Seconds.

I'll bet you 20 million meseta that this thread either gets closed or falls past page 5 before PSU dies.

Wanna take that bet? :3

-Shimarisu-
Dec 27, 2006, 10:23 PM
On 2006-12-27 19:10, PaladinRPG wrote:
I do see that population drop off in May occuring, but I feel the community now is pretty stable it seems, and the quality of groups has definitely gone up as those that stay are the really dedicated and skilled. Unfortunately it really does only fill up a uni or two at peak time, and that does feel a little depressing. :/

I'm fully supportive of a JP server linking of some sort if it were possible, so PSU is international and unified like PSO was. I actually enjoyed trying to talk with english-speaking Japanese people and make some trans-pacific fast friends. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

They aren't going to do that, the hackers ruined any possibility of it.

Clone365
Dec 27, 2006, 10:30 PM
Ill make it survive on the 360 until PSU2 comes out^_^

BloodDragoon
Dec 27, 2006, 10:30 PM
PSO was never really mainstream. PSU really isnt either. WoW, FFXI, EQ, etc were hyped about in gaming magazines a long time before their release. PSU I remember seeing maybe 2 previews in magazines before it's release. This lack of publicity plus the memory of the rampant and unchecked cheating on PSO probably cost a very large number of new subscribers between the launch date and x-mas.

How long will it last. Hard to say. However the servers in this installment are much less vulnerable to cheating than the previous nearly 100% client based data storage for online play and Sega still continued to keep those servers up for those games for years despite all the BS resulting in trainer programs and cheat devices such as codebreaker while charging the same monthly fee for them. So now why complain about a fee that has remained the same when you are actually getting a superior product than before. For those comparing content of PSO to PSU try comparing PSO launch with PSU launch not PSO end to PSU launch.

Sure PSU has turned somewhat into a grindfest but its still casual in it's gameplay. You can pickup and play whenever and stop whenever and not worry about keeping close in levels with other people. Hell PSU you can even grind solo.

I still play FFXI. Have been since day 1 of US release. Since then I've raised DRK, WAR, BLU, RDM, SAM, THF to 75 and currently every other job except PUP is lv 40+ (Maat's Cap will be mine! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif). Gameplay on there isn't as casual. Past about LV20 you need a party to do anything that doesn't involve only having to kill a monster lower than your own level, and if you xp solo on said monsters it was hardly anywhere near time efficient. Sometimes it took hours to make said parties. Endgame activities pretty much require atleast an alliance unless its a storyline mission in which case you usually get 1 party of 6 but I've found the story missions to be quite easy as long as all your party members have some measure of common sense. HNM's I've watched some linkshells cycle through 40-50 members in the main alliance kicking and inviting people as needed.

WoW content? Meh I played that for a few months and got bored. Between rested xp and the quest system it was too easy to hit max level quickly. Then you just find a small group of friends and run around instances till you get all the gear you want or the money needed to buy it all off the auction house. After that what's left? Hmm PvP and.... that's it! Granted alot of people like PvP and good for them but I get bored killing people repeatedly since a majority of people online tend to be sheep and don't plan their own strategy, instead relying on a guide written by someone that was posted to a gamefaqs message board or to the site itself. However I think PSU could play this PvP aspect better than WoW's standardized "engage and press hotkey/macro" interface due to the action-esque aspects of PSU. More so since PSU would require and arena type PvP battle as opposed to WoW's open PvP where someone can just randomly attack you in any area that didn't belong to your faction. But at this point I suppose I'm rambling a bit.

In short they game hasn't been out as long as the things you people are comparing it to. I'd atleast give it 6 months before trying to pass any kind of judgement on it. The game has a great deal of potential in it, what we need to wait on is to see if Sega can actually utilize all this potential and finally pull the Phantasy Star series up to a level where it's openly recognized by most gamers. Hell the Final Fantasy series of games rested below the sights of the mainstream gaming community in the US until FF7 made it's appearance on the PS1. Just keep poking Sega until they realize the potential of the game they released and finally bring it all out to bear. Really it's all we can do. (Though convincing them to atleast make a commercial for PSU to air on G4 TV wouldn't hurt them much either.) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Kismet
Dec 27, 2006, 10:33 PM
PSU will last as long as another MMORPG doesn't come along to kick its ass. I heard SE was thinking about making another MMORPG, but it wouldn't be a sequel to nor have anything to do with FFXI.

BloodDragoon
Dec 27, 2006, 10:39 PM
I wish SE would release Front Mission Online in the US. I don't really want to import a bunch of shit just to play that 1 game. :/

-Ryuki-
Dec 27, 2006, 11:27 PM
On my settings, this thread's on page 4.

Turambar
Dec 28, 2006, 01:00 AM

Not going to happen.

For everyone who believes Guild Wars to be inexpensive, think of it this way. Guild Wars is funded via the fact that every 6 months, it releases an expansion that is bought for 45 dollars plus tax. Call it 48 total for mathematical simplicity. 48 divided by 6 is 8. Thus, for anyone avid GW player whom will surely buy the new expansion, its in the end 8 dollars a month. Cheaper than PSU by 2 dollars, which amounts to what, the price for a cup of coffee?

ZiG
Dec 28, 2006, 01:06 AM
Page 7 for me... So who gets Garnet's 20 mil?

DonRoyale
Dec 28, 2006, 01:13 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=131192&forum=11&0

Because I hate you all. >:C

Banert
Dec 28, 2006, 01:38 AM
Hee hee! Time to get my kicks in! I love PSU, it's a great game, but it does need tweaks or I'm gonna be gone before spring.

Meseta is too hard to come by. I'm not saying I want PSO's useless cash, but I don't like the idea of having to synth stuff to make my living. I want alternative ways of making cash, perhaps increase meseta drops to be somewhere between current ones and PSO ones. Not much, maybe 1.5 times more money per drop. Of course there are easy ways to earn cash (best way right now being selling ray-photons, I sold 22 for 3k each, left my room, walked right back in and had sold them all, 66k for me) I'd just prefer alternative routes of getting it.

Weapons SHOULD drop. They barely ever do, it's ridiculous. I'd like to be getting at least one weapon every run or two, none of this filling my inventory with nary a single weapon, save for a 4 star wand or something.

I guess what I really want is a 1.5 multiplicator placed on the game, on all aspects. 1.5 more exp, 1.5 more meseta, 1.5 drop rates. I don't think that's entirely unreasonable, and it would get me to stick around till spring of 08 (at least), as opposed to spring of 07.

Hustler_One
Dec 28, 2006, 01:56 AM
On 2006-12-27 17:44, Alisha wrote:
i think psu is resigned to the same fate as pso epsisode 3 card because its too one dimensional. just like a footbal team that gets served because they pass all day. sometimes they will get lucky and connect a deep bomb(sweet update) but eventually the other team(boredom) will get an interception. if im gonna grind all day id rather go to a game where the rewards for doing so are greater. meh maybee im just bitter because i burned myself out badly on pso over the course of 4 years, and it didnt take long for the same thing to happen in psu. or perhaps expectations were far greater than they could ever live up too.

ZiG
Dec 28, 2006, 03:43 AM
So uhh... WHY are Ray-photons so popular right now? I think I missed that memo...

PaladinRPG
Dec 28, 2006, 03:57 AM
On 2006-12-28 00:43, ZiG wrote:
So uhh... WHY are Ray-photons so popular right now? I think I missed that memo...

1) 8* Sori-Senba armors eating them up like nobody's business. Everyone wants a cool 4 slotter.
2) Ice is perhaps the most popular element for A class weapon forging (behind darkness and earth), since most of the well-visited bosses like De Ragan & Omnagoug are fire elemented (as well as many common mobs on all 3 planets).

-Shimarisu-
Dec 28, 2006, 04:03 AM
3) Hax.

ZiG
Dec 28, 2006, 04:04 AM
#2 was a no brainer, but that never made them sell well before. Didn't know about the Sori-senba...

And yeah, Shimarisu, I've been thinkin' alot about the hacking problem today, since I wasn't aware that that's why people were migrating to the Xbox version... Hacking is pretty much the only thing short of the game just stopping that would drive me away. But I've invested an assload of time into my character, built my PM up twice, made lots of cash on the legit, it's really hard for me to decide to switch.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZiG on 2006-12-28 01:09 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Dec 28, 2006, 04:09 AM
Seriously, it's hax. You want to find your no brainer, look at how much they are on the 360 version. Where Sori Senbas are in short supply AS THEY SHOULD BE, because no ridiculous amount of meseta was ever injected into the economy to create a market for them.

Edit: I left behind a level 54 and level 47. -_-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2006-12-28 01:10 ]</font>

ZiG
Dec 28, 2006, 04:15 AM
You also got help when you got there, lol...

PaladinRPG
Dec 28, 2006, 04:23 AM
On 2006-12-28 01:09, -Shimarisu- wrote:
Seriously, it's hax. You want to find your no brainer, look at how much they are on the 360 version. Where Sori Senbas are in short supply AS THEY SHOULD BE, because no ridiculous amount of meseta was ever injected into the economy to create a market for them.

I'm of course aware of this, but there's little I can do about it after the fact. The merchant in me just enjoys testing the market to find the going rates for things. And I got the message clearly when I tried putting 50 Ray photons up for sale at 5k ea. as an experiment. Overnight they were gone. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

kazuma56
The way I see it, PSU 360 will eventually get hacked the same way PC did, its only a matter of time... so I am not moving to another server for a false sense of security.

As for content, its segas plan to make PSU span "years" like they have already stated, in PSO, people went online the first day and all they got was quests that where just the regular stages with more enemies... not until like a year or so later was when (ep1&2) finally got Towers and other ep.2 quests like SOTH and the like... and people still played online. I think that once PSU starts picking up in content, it'll start to bring in more people as everyone is taking a hiatus due to locked content.

As for the person that said the game is too easy... PSO was far more easier then PSU will ever be, give a Ranger a spread needle, FS, charge vulcans, yas 9k and a good mag and you can own the whole game... who needs players when you can get everything by yourself? PSU actually requires the user to team-up to tackle S ranks while PSO didn't require teaming up in the least... unless you count challenge mode, which is basically the same "harsh" treatment you receive when dying in a party in PSU.

-Shimarisu-
I got given 30K and a bunch of 3 and 4* weapons, nothing to break anyones bank. I could have got it myself it just would have been much harder in that first week.

Just to clarify, I did not beg for A ranks (actually didn't beg for anything, it was offered).

Not like I started my characters with a bunch of premium equips. I lost a great deal of 44 and 50% weapons, Kubara swaps, plus 7 and 8* A ranks in fact. And 2 finished PMs. :/

It was worth it to know that everything I get from now on will be honest money and weapons.

-Shimarisu-
Dec 28, 2006, 04:26 AM
On 2006-12-28 01:23, kazuma56 wrote:
The way I see it, PSU 360 will eventually get hacked the same way PC did, its only a matter of time... so I am not moving to another server for a false sense of security.

There is absolutely no way in hell 360 hacks will ever be available to the common user like PC ones were and will be in the near future.

I tolerated the meseta sales. You needed a credit card, a paypal account, all kinds of bother. Then the hacks got released to the public and the economy died within a week.

ZiG
Dec 28, 2006, 04:30 AM
Eh, there's also the issue of my friends. I don't mean friends I've made in PSU, I mean friends I've had for years from FFXI that I had come over to PSU with me. No Xboxes among the lot of them. Idunno, can you use the same Guardian License for both? I.e., could I keep my character on PS2 to play with them when they're on, and have the character on the Box360 on the same Guardian License?

Shadow_Wing
Dec 28, 2006, 05:11 AM
Except, taken into consideration the huge market stabilization that's occurring right now, that everyone seems to be ignoring right about now.

Now there's a very funny thing that's occurring on PC PSU, due to the fact that not everyone has the ability to meseta exploit currently (I don't expect the exploit to turn up anytime soon but it will eventually rear it's head... eventually, unless ST actually patched it up last update along with the gameguard speed bumb) since everyone is over pricing base goods everyone started going to the NPC.

This in turn is stabilizing the economy by millions a day as users, who used to go to player shops to buy goods that in turn just circulates currency and thus create more inflation, start throwing it at the NPC for better, cheaper and infinite supplies of goods.

Now here's the kicker, what was 500k items the week the meseta exploit was released to the public now costs a measly 110k, 8* melee weapons go for 130k, range and force weapons are deviating between 220k and 250k, all very reasonable prices when compared to the risk/reward formula.

Of course the difference between the super rich, like myself, and the average joe is still rather large but the current path the economy is taking is in a very positive move.

-Shimarisu-
Dec 28, 2006, 05:18 AM
But there's still twice the active userbase on 360. That alone was worth a move.

That and guaranteed no future mass released hacks.

Shadow_Wing
Dec 28, 2006, 05:24 AM
True that, but I wouldn't hold my breath for the 2nd one

-Shimarisu-
Dec 28, 2006, 05:29 AM
What second one?

I played PSO for years not expecting a sequel, this game was a real bonus.

Anyway the 360 version was released in Japan only a couple of weeks ago, we're in real new territory here. I reckon there's only about 5000 Japanese players at best, but I also reckon that's all Sega expected. I don't think they would keep releasing the game to niche markets if no profit was to be made, and the Japanese release proves this.

Why wasn't it cancelled if it was a huge money sink? My guess is that a lot of those players are sticking around for the long haul, and Sega know it.

ZiG
Dec 28, 2006, 05:30 AM
Can I use the same license, or are they separate?

Shadow_Wing
Dec 28, 2006, 05:34 AM
They're separate ZiG, and I meant, I wouldn't hold my breath for no mass released hack; I would expect there will be an hacker community eventually, as all things computer based tend to fall victim to.

Undeadpriest
Dec 28, 2006, 05:35 AM

I'm sure PSU will last for a pretty long time!I just didn't got the chance of trying it yet.

ZiG
Dec 28, 2006, 05:49 AM
Lol, I guess that solves my dilemma, then. Can't pay for 2 licenses... Looks like I have to hash it out on PS2/PC servers and hope the hacking doesn't get out of hand.

Bleemo
Dec 28, 2006, 05:58 AM
The game failed already in the western market not too long after it's release. It's just horribly unappealing to westerners, and Sega's lack of response time doesn't help anything.

You probably won't see any more players than you are seeing now in the future.

Oh well, back to WoW for me. The expansion is gonna be bitchin'.

Yoiyami
Dec 28, 2006, 09:32 AM
On 2006-12-28 02:58, Bleemo wrote:
The game failed already in the western market not too long after it's release. It's just horribly unappealing to westerners, and Sega's lack of response time doesn't help anything.

You probably won't see any more players than you are seeing now in the future.

Oh well, back to WoW for me. The expansion is gonna be bitchin'.

*slaps with a newspaper* Watch that language, young man! *wags finger*

You'll know PSU is dead when they give us an update and don't put when the next one is. We'll stop getting updates all together.

OR

When the versions start getting updates separately and one is ahead of the other. That'll probably be the 360 version. >.>;

AeraLure
Dec 28, 2006, 09:58 AM
PSU will hang around at the very least until SEGA's next entry in the series, should there be one. There will always be 150-200 players who stay and SEGA has proven time and again in the past that's all they need to motivate them to keep the servers open. Its a bit different this time around in that they have 3 distinct server groups, but I'm not sure that affects it all that much. Seems reasonable to expect at least 100 players to remain on each of the server groups indefinitely. Guess we'll see in April/May.

Mewnie
Dec 28, 2006, 10:20 AM
God, I don't want to have to buy a 360 just to keep playing X3

Aeternus
Dec 28, 2006, 10:27 AM
On 2006-12-27 22:00, Turambar wrote:

Not going to happen.

For everyone who believes Guild Wars to be inexpensive, think of it this way. Guild Wars is funded via the fact that every 6 months, it releases an expansion that is bought for 45 dollars plus tax. Call it 48 total for mathematical simplicity. 48 divided by 6 is 8. Thus, for anyone avid GW player whom will surely buy the new expansion, its in the end 8 dollars a month. Cheaper than PSU by 2 dollars, which amounts to what, the price for a cup of coffee?

But as far as guild wars goes.. you don't HAVE to buy the expansions, and you are ACTUALLY paying for content when you do. Big difference.

Dragonkat
Dec 28, 2006, 10:33 AM
It'll probably last a good long while. Provided all the people with more money then brains don't decide to all jump ship for their mythical 360 paradise. And help to doom the game themselves because they're too scared of the "hax" that are already fading out anyway.

I really almost want to see them stuck in the eternal xmas myself, didn't it happen to xbox pso first? Or just sit back with my popcorn and wait for an eventual hax and the following screams. But then again I'm a fan of karma what can I say?

Though for their sake I do hope it lasts, cause if the PC/PS2 version flops out, what incentive is Sega going to have to keep the 360 version going either?

Dyssaan
Dec 28, 2006, 10:45 AM
mythical 360 paradise? I started in paradise thank you very much. And I like it just fine.. Everybody join the 360 conga line! The grass is greener here! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AeraLure
Dec 28, 2006, 11:06 AM
On 2006-12-28 07:27, Aeternus wrote:

But as far as guild wars goes.. you don't HAVE to buy the expansions, and you are ACTUALLY paying for content when you do. Big difference.

You're right that you dont HAVE to, that they dont make you buy the next expansion, but you need to at some point anyway, because of the need to stay current with the skills. Since you cant level any further, the entire game system, PvP and PvE, revolves almost entirely around the skills. They are the character development and the only thing, at a certain point, you can continue to work on in that game.

On 2006-12-28 07:20, Mewnie wrote:
God, I don't want to have to buy a 360 just to keep playing X3

Me neither. I am on hiatus until the meseta boom is addressed. I hope for an economy wipe but meh, I sincerely doubt we will see that happen and doubt even that the majority want it to happen.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AeraLure on 2006-12-28 08:08 ]</font>

Aeternus
Dec 28, 2006, 02:14 PM
Sega still haven't fixed the Meseta problem? are people duping it, or is there another exploit? I don't follow the hacking news, since I have no interest in it, but once it affects the games economy, thats when there is a serious problem.

HiKeRI
Dec 28, 2006, 02:19 PM
On 2006-12-28 11:14, Aeternus wrote:
Sega still haven't fixed the Meseta problem? are people duping it, or is there another exploit? I don't follow the hacking news, since I have no interest in it, but once it affects the games economy, thats when there is a serious problem.

They wont fix it until they fix what causes the meseta to be duped, i don't even think they'll fix it either.

Pure-chan
On 2006-12-28 11:19, Natrokos wrote:
I have about 15 good friends who I party with regularily....I don't care if everyone else quit aslong as they are still around http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Same boat, here http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-12-28 11:20 ]</font>

Natrokos
I have about 15 good friends who I party with regularily....I don't care if everyone else quit aslong as they are still around http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

HiKeRI
Dec 28, 2006, 02:20 PM
On 2006-12-28 11:19, Natrokos wrote:

Well said, i don't really care about anyone but around 3 people which i party with everytime.

Aeternus
Dec 28, 2006, 02:39 PM
And the Xbox version isn't affected?

Aeternus
Dec 28, 2006, 02:42 PM
I just looked on ebay, and there were my fears.. damn..I thought Sega would be able to stop this, this time around. I agree with whoever said they need to reset the entire economy and fix the problem.

Sychosis
Dec 28, 2006, 02:50 PM
On 2006-12-28 11:39, Aeternus wrote:
And the Xbox version isn't affected?

Not yet, and hopefully not ever.

LunarChaos
Dec 28, 2006, 02:55 PM
Give props to Microsoft for making the 360 so difficult to hack.

It's been over a year, and hackers are still struggling to even scratch its surface.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LunarChaos on 2006-12-28 11:55 ]</font>

DBZWWE
Dec 28, 2006, 03:05 PM
2 years.Then its dead.=(