Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Totoro observer

Default What are my options to play PSO offline co-op?

Hiya, i'm just wondering what would be the best way for me to be able to play PSO offline co-op with a friend (and hopefully not have to spend too much money or have to search for something rare/expensive, ala broadband adapter etc)?

Little info:

I have PSO 1 and 2 for the Dreamcast (played both online years ago). I didn't play them offline co-op though (not even sure they have that option).

I have a Gamecube, a Playstation 2, and an original Xbox and an Xbox 360. I don't own any form of PSO for any of these systems, but obviously will buy the game I need to. I don't have Xbox Live right now, but did at one time. I never went online with my GC (and don't have an adapter or anything).

Obviously, I have a PC, and even played PSOBB for awhile (when it was official), and later tried to play "other ways" wink wink, but I couldn't register or something and the whole download process was needlessly complicated and stupid.

Sorry for the novel, but just wanted to put it all out there and maybe one of the more knowledgeable people here would be able to help me. So what are my options?

TIA!!!

Your only option other than the Dreamcast for multiplayer (assuming Dreamcast has offline co-op) offline would be the Gamecube. The PS2 never had PSO on it and the XBOX version is single player only I think. (not entirely sure)

Totoro observer

Thanks Heartbreak, after doing some research I think i'm going to go with the original Xbox version. I should have an old Xbox Live gamer tag on it, which is all that's required to play multiplayer offline, and the game is like 5 bucks on eBay lol (I guess because it's not online anymore, plus you can't play it on Xbox 360).

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Gamecube one is superior, mostly because if you have the extra money, you could play online on a certain private server.

Plus you can use that silly ass controller for the GC.

Totoro observer

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Vordex View Post
    Gamecube one is superior, mostly because if you have the extra money, you could play online on a certain private server.

Plus you can use that silly ass controller for the GC.
    Won't i need a broadband adapter? And aren't they hard to find/expensive? I'd actually love to play online on *that* server (although I couldn't figure out how to play psobb on it )

@burende: ixnay on that lest you get into trouble over mentioning that

@ AirasDC: I can't remember, but you might want to double check on whether the XBox version required a Live Account to even play offline. It might be referring to PSU, but doesn't hurt to be careful.

As for the best version of PSO that you can play Multiplayer offline with, that would be the JP version of PSO Ep 1 & 2 Plus for the GC.

Why GC? Pretty certain that the XBox did not receive the Plus version of the game, which means you wouldn't get the offline Tower Quests among other things. I'm also not sure if you could build a huge roster of characters with separate memory cards in the Xbox version, but you could certainly do that in the GC one.

Why JP? Sega's always had the tendency of removing stuff from the US releases of their games, and getting the JP version would ensure you always get the full product. PSO is also unique among the PS games for being multilingual - If you can find your way through the Japanese menus initially, you can change it to English and play normally from that point on. Even quests will be in english.

The Xbox one won't play without a gamer tag, but you also can't play it even offline because the sega servers have been taken down. I've tried it on a xbox360 which popped a message saying its not supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Shard View Post
    I'm also not sure if you could build a huge roster of characters with separate memory cards in the Xbox version, but you could certainly do that in the GC one.
    Actually you could have a large total of 48 characters. There were 4 Gamertag slots, and each slot held up to 12 characters. The only problem with that was the wonky offline multiplayer system which wouldn't let you use one gamertag slot's characters with another without the use of a memory card.

@AirasDC: Blueburst is the best choice IMO
    Checkout Blueburst again. Installations and registrations and all that are alot smoother than when it first started.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Shard View Post

As for the best version of PSO that you can play Multiplayer offline with, that would be the JP version of PSO Ep 1 & 2 Plus for the GC.

Why GC? Pretty certain that the XBox did not receive the Plus version of the game, which means you wouldn't get the offline Tower Quests among other things. I'm also not sure if you could build a huge roster of characters with separate memory cards in the Xbox version, but you could certainly do that in the GC one.

Why JP? Sega's always had the tendency of removing stuff from the US releases of their games, and getting the JP version would ensure you always get the full product. PSO is also unique among the PS games for being multilingual - If you can find your way through the Japanese menus initially, you can change it to English and play normally from that point on. Even quests will be in english.
    Wouldn't he have to get a different GC for that to work though?

definitely try to get BB, its easilysuperior to the GC plus version, especially if you can get a ps3/360 controller to play it on, only downside to me is that it has to be offline, and when ou play the single player its not the same way as you did on consoles (in toher words you dont get to earn the places, they're already there)