Page 1 of 333 12341151101 ... LastLast

Default Gunner Stuff Discussion™

Updating the OP, since it's way overdue, and nobody seemed to bother to take over. I wanted to read the discussion and base the edit on the community's consensus on all things Gunner, but it's 2000 posts long, holy crap. So let's just assume I know better than all of you.

Since Hunter subclassing had been severely nerfed, I'm writing mostly from the Gunner/Ranger's perspective.

Hopefully at least one of the two is up to date:
    http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php
    http://pso2skillsimulator.com/simulator/

Hopefully helpful stuff

• Selphia's tl;dr Gunner guide:
      Spoiler!

• Class combinations

Subclasses for Gunner
      Spoiler!

• Skills

Spoiler!

• Machinegun Photon Arts

Spoiler!

Helpful links

Didn't find any class info on Cirnopedia, so here's the Swiki page on Gunner skills as well as PAs.
    Last edited by Sp-24; Jul 22, 2015 at 09:19 AM.

Yup, thank you, that page is pretty helpful. Guess there's no way to link straight to the Gunner part, huh?

I'm level 20 and finally made it to Attack PP Restorate, so I can see the effect of putting a point in it. The system message is that, for one point, it increases PP gain from attacks to 110% of the base. If it scales evenly, that would be 200% of base for a 10 point investment and essentially, double PP regained per attack.

Personally, I think this is the most valuable skill in the entire tree, assuming it doesn't suffer from heavy diminishing returns. Chain Trigger makes the big numbers, sure, but even at a 10 point investment, it's only available once every 50 seconds, only usable on a single target (and if that target is a breakable, say goodbye to your chain), and only against enemies that will survive long enough to allow a substantial chain to be built. In contrast, recovering PP faster is pretty much always useful. Shame it's buried under so much crap though.

In the same vein, I think Zero Distance is also underrated. After the fifth point, it scales better, though I don't know the value at 10 points. All 6 of our machine gun PAs do their best damage in melee range (two can be initiated from range, but they take you to the target), and if it works with assault rifles like it should, then it'd be effective on Diffuse Shot as well. Sneak Shooter too, depending how you're using it.

I don't know the name of this PA but it's this icon: . It does two shots separately but each one is very powerful. It's currently my big mob/boss slaying PA and current favorite of choice to end Chain Trigger with. I currently have a weapon palette just with 3 of those PAs on it for Chain Trigger ending.

I did a small test run with my 22 Gunner vs. 18 Vol Dragon to get a feel if I should invest all the way in getting lower cooldown time on Chain Trigger.

His face horn broke before I could test on it but applying it directly to his face and using the PA around only 30hits the damage turned into 1.5kx2 and I was about to do the PA 2 (maybe 3) times in a row with that damage. You get the bonus PA damage for as long as the chain text is orange so there could possibly better specific combos to Trigger ending but for now that's what I'm doing.

Having access to that every min is making me consider maxing Chain Trigger but I'm still on the fence.
    The Storm Is About To Rage
    Ship 9
    Male Human - HU65 | FI64 | BR65
    Female Newman - FO65 | HU40 | TE65 | FI65 | BR65 | RA33
    Female Cast - RA65 | GU65 | HU65 | BR47

Is this build viable?
    http://pso2skill.web.fc2.com/gu.htm?...1153015010l000

It has max'd pp restore and zero distance. I'm not sure if lvl 1 chain finisher is worth the 4 points though, if so I might put it all on chain trigger, but then again the cooldown decrease may not be practical. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Gen2000 View Post
    I don't know the name of this PA but it's this icon: . It does two shots separately but each one is very powerful. It's currently my big mob/boss slaying PA and current favorite of choice to end Chain Trigger with. I currently have a weapon palette just with 3 of those PAs on it for Chain Trigger ending.

I did a small test run with my 22 Gunner vs. 18 Vol Dragon to get a feel if I should invest all the way in getting lower cooldown time on Chain Trigger.

His face horn broke before I could test on it but applying it directly to his face and using the PA around only 30hits the damage turned into 1.5kx2 and I was about to do the PA 2 (maybe 3) times in a row with that damage. You get the bonus PA damage for as long as the chain text is orange so there could possibly better specific combos to Trigger ending but for now that's what I'm doing.

Having access to that every min is making me consider maxing Chain Trigger but I'm still on the fence.

That's what I was looking for , a dpsing pa with range and not some flashy move that makes or requires you to get closer to mobs , not saying those are bad but for BOSSES I would prefer to keep the rifle playstile from ranger instead of having to dodge so much

I hope disks for new classes go low in price soon , I have very bad luck with drops -.-

You can switch weapons while the chain is up, and maintain it if you're fast enough. Thrillsplosion and Sneak Shoot make fine finishers.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeris View Post
    Personally, I think this is the most valuable skill in the entire tree, assuming it doesn't suffer from heavy diminishing returns. Chain Trigger makes the big numbers, sure, but even at a 10 point investment, it's only available once every 50 seconds, only usable on a single target (and if that target is a breakable, say goodbye to your chain), and only against enemies that will survive long enough to allow a substantial chain to be built. In contrast, recovering PP faster is pretty much always useful. Shame it's buried under so much crap though.

In the same vein, I think Zero Distance is also underrated. After the fifth point, it scales better, though I don't know the value at 10 points. All 6 of our machine gun PAs do their best damage in melee range (two can be initiated from range, but they take you to the target), and if it works with assault rifles like it should, then it'd be effective on Diffuse Shot as well. Sneak Shooter too, depending how you're using it.
    Yep, that makes sense. I'm still not sold on Zero Range Advance, but that tiny 1.15 modifier may go a long way with Diffuse Shot, One Point and devastating Machinegun PAs like Bullet Rain Squall. It's not as hard to get as some other skills, either. It's just a shame that Gunslash is surprisingly useless with this skill, since most of its melee PAs rely of S-ATK at least partially, and the only melee R-ATK based one, Thrillplosion, can potentially make you roll out of Zero Range Advance's range.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen2000 View Post
    I use this PA (it's called Satellite Aim, if I remember right) against fast targets, like the panthers, a lot. However, for chains, I use either the spinning kick one, Reverse Tap, when I need to do some fast damage, or Spinning Death, if I know for sure that the enemy isn't going to move anywhere any time soon. Might also try finishing a chain with Bullet Squall on Gwahna and Ragne, since they seem to like to stay in one place if you beat them up enough.

Quote Originally Posted by plasism View Post
    Is this build viable?
    http://pso2skill.web.fc2.com/gu.htm?...1153015010l000

It has max'd pp restore and zero distance. I'm not sure if lvl 1 chain finisher is worth the 4 points though, if so I might put it all on chain trigger, but then again the cooldown decrease may not be practical. Opinions?
    Yeah, that Chain Finish looks a bit out of place. It only gives 1% bonus at level 1, so it's definitely not worth 4 skill points. 110 seconds is a pretty long cooldown, too. It might be better to put those points into R-ATK Up.

Quote Originally Posted by kabutozero View Post
    That's what I was looking for , a dpsing pa with range and not some flashy move that makes or requires you to get closer to mobs , not saying those are bad but for BOSSES I would prefer to keep the rifle playstile from ranger instead of having to dodge so much
    Well, Satellite Aim is actually a bit flashy, too, and it's range is smaller Spinning Tap (a kick PA), even though you are using guns there. But it's a great PA regardless - fast, powerful, and it benefits from Zero Range Advance.

Some of my impressions about the PAs, since I'm here.

Aerial Shooting, the upward kick, can be charged. Can do some hefty damage if everything lands, making it a good finisher too, if not an easy one.

Reverse Tap, the goofy head-spinning attack, is surprisingly strong and has okay range, making for good crowd control, something this class is lacking in. Give it a shot if you haven't already; that stun icon doesn't mean it can't also do some good damage. I've also been using it to break Vol's tail with pretty consistent success, as well as his horns.

I've found Bullet Squall to be more or less useless so far. The initial hit is okay, but you spend a ton of time pecking away with tiny numbers when you could just be spamming faster, stronger PAs. If it had a wider radius it could be useful, but, well, it doesn't. The bullet rain at the end can be extended by repeatedly hitting your PA key/button during it, though.

You can also mash for greater effect when using Messiah Time, the dive in slow motion; mash your PA key to fire more bullets during the twirl at the end. Quite useful.

Only ones I've gotten my hands on so far, but it seems almost every PA so far has some kind of trick to it.

Oh, and you're also invincible during Messiah Time's dive, but not while you're pushing off, so don't expect to use that as a panic button. If you're having trouble making use of it as an effective attack, try jumping a little bit off the ground first; this raises your chance of putting your bullets into the enemy's face, and puts the spin's shots lower to the ground, as you finish upside-down in mid-air, increasing your chances of those hitting, too.
    Last edited by Mike; Sep 17, 2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Merge