Page 1 of 41 123411 ... LastLast

Fanboy's Guide to Gunteching

INTRODUCTION

"Sure I believe in peace. Peace through superior firepower."
    -Lina Inverse

A joke making the rounds these days is that if ST had developed the Guntecher for AotI, they would have named it "Acrogunner". Like the Acrofighter and Acrotecher classes, the Guntecher weapon spread is oriented towards single-handed weapons, especially its S-ranks; it also seems to be skewed towards a faster, more mobile playstyle than its more sedate brother-class Fortegunner.

It is not, however, a class for stat whores. With the lowest ATP mod on any of the classes that rely on ATP for damage, if you pick Guntecher for raw DPS you're going to be disappointed sorely.

It is easily the equal of Acrotecher when it comes to supporting a party, even with only level 30 support Technics. Possessing easy access to wand/gun combos, a collection of almost every S-rank single-handed gun available, level 40 Bullet Arts, and level 30 support Technics, the Guntecher is the Force class that is top-notch at putting out damage while still keeping your friends covered with heals and buffs.

Remember, too, that the game is very well-balanced. I can, and will, make comparisons between the races but it's relatively speaking. There's a quantifiable difference between the damage output of a beast and a newman guntecher, but the gap isn't huge enough to just say "Newman GT sux! Onry play teh Beast GT!"

Play the race you want, and the class you want, and don't get huffy if you take what I say as an insult because it AIN'T.

It's not like the Fanboy Police are going to knock down your door and kick your ass for playing the game your own way (they're too busy handling all the people who claim to play 'fun' decks in Magic: The Gathering as a thin excuse for getting beaten).

Note that anything BEFORE page 22 is just plain irrelevant. Guntecher is one of the most-changed classes with the advent of AotI, and most of the comments in this thread reflect that ancient, long-dead version.

(btw, this guide also reflects the Technic update that the Guntecher will be receiving soon.)

My other guides, for those whom are interested, are:
    Fanboy's Guide to Beginners
    Fanboy's Guide to Wartechers
    Fanboy's (im)Perfect Guide to Forteteching

That last is awaiting update, however, so don't really look at it.

RACE
    "Just 'cause it's a stereotype don't mean it ain't true."
    -Dwarf smith

Race is at the heart of gunteching in a way that few other classes can claim.

Essentially, it boils down to one question: Do you want to be really good at Ranger and so-so at Force, or do you want to be really good at Force and so-so at Ranger?

Human Guntechers are... an even blend. They perform equally well at both halves of the Guntecher equation; the problem is that they aren't far enough ahead of either Newman at Ranger or Beast/CAST at Force to make Human the stand-out choice. Still, though, there's nothing wrong with a Human guntecher.

Newman Guntechers are top-notch at combining attack Technics with their bullets. They lack the raw speed of the Acrotecher and the raw power of the Fortetecher, however, so they don't rely on the entire library of Technics. Instead, they stick to the most powerful and/or the ones with the most useful SEs - but more on that later.

Beast Guntechers are hands-down the best choice statwise for the player who wants to focus on Ranger (as most Guntechers probably should, since you have a lot more guns than Technic weapons). The strength of the Beast compensates for the extremely low ATP mod of the GT, and the low ATA possessed by the Beast is nicely covered for by the GT's boost.

CAST Guntechers are on paper the second-best (with the second-best ATP), but in practice come off as trailing the others. Their immense ATA is mostly wasted with the class's high native modifier, and with their lower TP they don't get quite the oomph the other races get out of Technics.

BULLET ARTS & FIREARMS

"Guns, guns, guns. My life would be so dull without them."
    -Wedge

For a guntecher, it comes down to a choice between inflicting a status effect or dealing element damage. A good example of this is the Tengouhg - do you whip out a burning bow and try to DoT them (knowing that it's going against their element and will do less damage), or blast ice cards at them til they go under? Or if you're facing spellcasting enemies like Ohgohmon, do you confuse them with a Light weapon or bust out with a Fire bullet?

Which one you choose to do should depend on the composition of your team, how many members it has, and the level you're playing at. If you're the only guy in a 2-3 person S/S2 party with an SE4 bow/rifle or crossbow, you should try sticking that to the biggest creatures, particularly the ones that hunters have trouble dealing with like Tengouhgs, Jarbas, or the Jusnagun. Big monsters really hate damage over time (DOT) because 25 or 40% of their HP adds up to a lot of time hunters spend beating on them. Also if enemies are bullet and Technic-resistant, DOT is by far your best choice.

On the other hand, if others are already covering the DoT or it isn't necessary (like in, well, almost any mission where you're running with more than 3 people), feel free to blast away with whatever elements you have on hand.

My earnest recommendation is that you should pick a one-handed gun (crossbow, card, or mechgun) and have every element bullet for that one. Which one you pick could depend on your race; CASTs and Beasts get heavy mileage out of mechguns, while Humans and Newmans can cover their lower ATP with the higher % crossbow and card bullets.

However, if you want to pick several guns to have all the elements for, be my guest! In fact, the most fun can be had in mixing/matching - a couple of bullets for mechgun, a couple for crossbow, a couple for card.

TWO HANDED GUNS

Two-handed guns are a problematic thing for the guntecher. On the one hand, they're all useful, deal out good damage, have PAs that you need, etcetera; on the other, they remove your ability to tote a wand.

But you can't fear that. After all, not EVERYTHING can be solved with the one-handed guns.

Bow/Rifle

These weapons have benefits that are manifold. Aimable, with the longest range of any bullet in the game, and capable of dealing out level 4 Status Effects, they are a pretty good part of the Guntecher's arsenal. The choice is simple: Bow or rifle?

Bows ignore armor, raise up in PA levels at least 3x faster, do better elemental % damage, and have higher ATP and ATA. Not to mention the fact that we get S-rank in them... mmm, Rikauteri...

Rifles have better PP, better range, fire faster, and are quicker on the initial shot which improves strafing ability - and at level 31+, they have KNOCKDOWN. The advantage that gives is immense, to say the least.

In the end it's a personal choice. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but from a pure damage standpoint (especially on bosses, which tend to be heavily armored) the bow is better; from a support stance (provided you have the patience) the rifle is infinitely superior.

Most guntechers DO use bows, however; or at least I do. I know I personally look snobbily on my poor fortegunner cousins who can't use bows.

These days, Guntechers usually bust out rifles and bows for damage against flying bosses, and the convenience of being able to aim anywhere and deal damage is nice. Kinda nice to lurk behind De Ragnus and hit his tail without risking instant death. The only exception is Onma/Dimma, because they're bullet-immune naturally EXCEPT for their wings.

What bullets to get?

It used to be that either Burn or Virus was an ESSENTIAL. SE4 virus/burn means the difference between 3 minutes of whacking a monster with 10k plus HP and 1 minute.

However, in light of the fact that crossbows can inflict SE3 nearly as often, are more mobile, and deal more damage (not to mention that Burn G Traps are cheap and plentiful), getting a rifle/bow for SE doesn't matter as much.

That leaves the main reason for rifles and bows being fighting bosses and/or knocking down enemies, so just pick whatever elements you find handiest on the stages you like doing.

PA Frag Bullets for the Bow are worthless. Don't bother. For the Rifle, on the other hand, Killer Shot is a must for taking on Robot-filled stages, though you could also pick Megid - see the Megid/KS Tactics article for the pros and cons of each. Mayalee Shot is - well, some people swear by Sleep as a decent SE that lasts a lot longer than Freeze or Stun, but I tend to swear AT it. Sleep is disrupted by a single hit, so if you're in a party with a bunch of hunter-types they're likely to disrupt the sleep more quickly than you can lay it out with Mayalee Shot.

Twin Handguns

Twin handguns are a compromise between DPS and speed. The second-fastest firing weapon in the game, one of the aimable guns, and one of the more mobile - plus, it's our signature weapon. Why would you be without a pair?

With 36% elemental damage at 31+ the bullets at higher levels makes you able to really stick it to the enemies while dancing around their clumsy attacks. Plus with 2 bullets hitting an enemy it multiplies the chance of inflicting the SE, which is just icing on the cake.

Though some would say that by the time you get cards and crossbows these are obsolete, I beg to differ - you can aim these in any direction, unlike the crossbow, and do first-person, unlike the card, and have about equal range to the card. Also, they can do more damage than the bow to average-defense targets (NOT high-defense targets), though at an admittedly inferior range.

As far as models of guns to get, I find that a properly-ground Arb Maganac (the 8* Kubaraized Tenora twin handguns) has enough PP to keep firing a while while possessing more ATP than an 11*. But if you like the way the Twin Tornado or Hyper Viper looks, feel free to hunt it in Mother Brain. I'm personally holding out for Battlestoppers and the legendary Guld Milla.

Which bullets to get?

Essentially, twin handguns are for damage; pick the bullets that are right for the areas you go to most often. It would be my recommendation to at least pick up a twin handgun bullet for every element you don't have in rifle or bow.

The PA Frag Bullets for the twin handguns are... mediocre. Twin Penetration (as kinky as it sounds, hehehee ) is no match for Laser Cannons, and Mayalee Twin simply isn't necessary at this point.

Shotgun

I do endorse the shotgun - as a BACKUP weapon. Mainline, it's only decent; while it does a lot of damage it leaves you immobile and without wand access.

The one thing a shotgun has, however, is nearly infinite PP; combined with a solid spread, decent damage, reasonable SE, and stylish look it's good to go if you manage to tap out all of your mainline guns or you NEED to hit an enemy with an SE at once. With point-blank range you can give a single enemy an SE almost guaranteed in 2 shots, more likely one.

What bullets?

Confuse can throw any spellcasters for a loop (see the bit on that later), so pointblanking them with 5 shots will almost certainly guarantee a useless spellcaster. Pick bullets for damage if you want to use a shotgun.

A lot of people say the crossbow is better and they're right, but the nice thing about shotguns is that you can grab one at level 1 and start leveling it right away, so by the time you can buy and use crossbows it'll already be well on its way to 21+.

PA Frag Bullets for the shotgun aren't bad, but not wonderful either. Barada Chamga is handy, especially if you're in a Killer Shot/Megid using team and you want to distract the bots away from the Incapacitators. Barada Maga is... well, only OK; it suffers from the same problem that all debuffs have right now.

Laser Cannons

Well, Laser Cannons have been improved muchly since I last reviewed them. They have SE3 at 31+, a HUGE ATP modifier, and a nice elemental % as well.

The best bullets are the ones used for hordes of small, low HP enemies such as Badira, Navals, and similar enemies who rush you head-on. The proper strategy, if you don't have a narrow corridor to funnel them all into, is to stand to one side as they spawn and fire continuously, like so:

This maximizes the amount of time that the monster spends underneath the beam; the angle means that they'll get under the beam sooner and stay there longer.

Of the PA Frag bullets, Phantasm Prism is of dubious usefulness in my mind for much the same reasons as Mayalee Shot under the Rifle section, but it could possibly be more useful than Mayalee Shot as it affects more than one enemy at a time. Mayalee Prism, however, is highly useful to the Guntecher. It is an adequate replacement for the grenade launcher that we don't get.

It causes knockback on small-medium enemies and staggers larger enemies; it also fires fast enough that you can keep the stagger going on many of the larger enemies. While it does have a fairly large hit on accuracy (46% at first level), GT ATA is generally good enough that you shouldn't worry about it, particularly if you move in from the back or the sides.

It is, however, a highly situational PA. You won't be using it all the time, so if 90 PA Frags seems like a big investment then you don't have to bother.

ONE-HANDED GUNS

One-handed guns are very, VERY important for guntechers; while other Types may only dabble in them to add a bit of range while still keeping a melee weapon in their other hand, we NEED them for quick wand access. Only fitting that we get the best selection of them - S-rank in almost all of them!

My earnest recommendation is that you should pick a one-handed gun (crossbow, card, or mechgun) and have every element bullet for that one. Which one you pick could depend on your race; CASTs and Beasts get heavy mileage out of mechguns because of their higher base ATP, while Humans and Newmans can cover their lower ATP with the higher % crossbow and card bullets.

However, if you want to pick several guns to have all the elements for, be my guest! In fact, the most fun can be had in mixing/matching - a couple of bullets for mechgun, a couple for crossbow, a couple for card.

But ignore handguns in all their permutations. Handguns are for Fortefighters and Protransers, not Guntechers.

Crossbows

Crossbows deal excellent damage at CLOSE range. 3 bullets + 15% elemental damage at 21+ + SE3 = some painfully injured enemies. If you're the restaho or the mainline techer is more interested in the whizbangs and shiny things coming out of the end of his rod than in healing his teammates, then the Crossbow lets you stay mobile and deal damage while still being close enough to bounce over and heal someone who's dipping low.

Another fringe benefit is that the elemental % is the lowest of all the GT weapons. This means that it's great for using against same element enemies, if the SE is necessary.

The danger is that you have to be REALLY close in order to deal good damage with the crossbow - and guntechers aren't exactly paragons of HP or DFP. But your buddies will thank you.

Another depressing thing is that the bow builds up levels slowly, especially compared side-by-side with cards (not as slow as regular bows, however). Also, for levels 11-20, you have a VERY annoying V-shot that makes it quite vexing to use at any distance other than point-blank. It is worth it, however.

What elements?

I've changed my mind: SCREW VIRUS. What's mandatory is BURN. Why?

Well, chilluns, SE3 burn can affect big monsters. SE3 virus can't. The upside to having an SE3 burn crossbow? Well, you can move behind Jarbas and keep pounding them with 3 bullets until they get set on fire. If you're solo, you can shoot Gol Dovas with the crossbow and keep an ice dagger in the other hand to melee them once they're on fire. It's a mobile ability to DoT instead of a stationary one.

I was doing some runs with it two nights ago, and it was just as easy (or hard) to burn the big ones with SE3 as it was to whip out my burn bow and use that, plus I could move out of the way of ranged and melee attacks and still keep shooting, thus increasing my chances of giving them the SE.

I'd strongly suggest confuse as well; there are a number of annoying spellcasters like the Gazoran sorcerer-guy and confuse means that they don't use their spells effectively any more - more on that later.

Yak Zagenga, the first PA Frag Bullet, looks pretty good... on paper. Doing more damage the fewer HP you have? Sounds like a good deal, no, especially for the low-DPS Guntecher? The problem is that the proper Guntecher has to be ready to cast Resta at any time, and Yak Zagenga interferes with that need. Oh, and you lose out on elemental bullets too.

Yak Maga - actually isn't too bad. Not great, mostly because debuffs are useless except in one situation: when enemies buff themselves. Because Yak Maga takes away ATP, and the ones who buff themselves are usually the deadliest enemies on the block (like Carriguines), this isn't necessarily a bad choice. But then, debuffs are mostly useless at the moment, so take this with a grain of salt.

Cards

Cards deal EXCELLENT damage at decent range (to elemental-weak enemies, my beast GT guntecher deals nearly 1200 damage with all 3 bullets in a single shot - and she's still only GT5!), have a good ROF, and home in automatically on your target. While it takes a bit of getting used to, the card is a very, very good weapon for spreading SEs and dealing damage while dodging Gaozoran foie and Vanda diga.

Cards are a bit tricky to get the hang of, but once you do they're very, very nice - homing in on enemies that are highlighted in red. This means you can whip the blades at one enemy and strafe over until his buddy is highlighted, whip blades at him, then rinse and repeat...

What elements?

By my recommendation, all of 'em. It is my favorite of the GT weapons, even if we don't get S-rank in them. But once again, choose for yourself; there are a lot of people who don't like the fact that it deals lower DPS than the mechgun or crossbow, and other people who dislike the SE2.

Ignore the card PA Frag Bullet. Utterly useless.

Mechguns

Well, someone hammered me into trying it, and I did it, and found out that mechguns ARE decent choices now, easily comparable to crossbows.

The thing of it is, though, that mechguns are extremely race-dependent. Because mechs have such low ATP, the higher your base ATP the better the damage you deal. With only level 20 bullets my Figunner was dealing 100 more a bullet than my newearl GT with bullets at 25+.

Because of that, newmans should probably avoid mechguns, while beast and CAST GTs should make a beeline for them right away.

They are also very, very good at drawing aggro. Lots and lots of it. Because each bullet causes a flinch, you can distract charging enemies from the fortetecher or the fortefighter spamming PAs - more on that later.

Elements don't really matter here. The SE is a joke, so if you like mechguns just pick whatever elements do the most damage in the areas you like to play.

If you're going to get them, don't skimp on the gear - the best to have are Beam Vulcanics, the 8* Kubara. Ignore the Tenoras, they're garbage. Beam Vulcanics have 120 more PP than a 9*, synth at the same rate as a 9*, and while they lose out a bit on ATP and ATA, the difference is negligible. The one thing to remember, though, is that you need MULTIPLE mechguns, because they empty out fast. Buying 3-4 NPC 8*s is more worthwhile than just having one or two cool Kubara ones.

Mayalee Fury, the PA Frag Bullet, causes knockup - it sends enemies into the air. However, with its low ATA modifier (1-3%), the only way you're ever going to hit ANYTHING with it is from behind. This PA is most useful for stunlocking large critters like Gol Dova, Kajigabari, and the like while the hunters pound on it.

R-mags, or Gun-mags, or Shadoogs
    Whatever you wanna call them, they deserve a mention as a way of dealing out an SE and additional damage while also equipped with a teching wand. It's also possible that you may wish to pair one with your lone melee weapon, if you have one on your palatte, but I'd prefer to have a Fire Crossbow or a Tech-mag in the other hand.

Since we get S-rank in them, though, it's one of the few ways we have of inflicting Stun. Just something to keep your eyes on, if you lay hands on an
    Ebrozike.

SKILL PHOTON ARTS
    "Hay, with the buff in meleeing in general, maybe I'm good at it too!" *swing* *tink!* "..Maybe not." -Anon. Guntecher

My advice on melee?

Don't.

Well, not often.

As a general policy, avoid meleeing. You don't have particularly high strength, your melee photon arts are only 10 tops, and you only have two choices: single dagger and single saber.

That being said, there are several circumstances where it can be profitable, most noticably on enemies that have 3 or more hit areas close together, and are resistant to bullets - Strateria, Kog Nadd, and the crocodiles come to mind.

Of the two choices, dagger and saber, the dagger wins hands-down at level 10 with Buten Shuren-zan. 4 hits quick, along with a jump first to get you into melee range, combines well, particularly if you're moving in with a crossbow or other single-handed gun. Plus, the A-rank dagger has a good PP pool and does a fair amount of damage. The two saber skills only get better at their 2nd combo, which unfortunately guntechers don't get access to.

Lately I've been using Hikai Shuha-zan, the PA Frag art, but it's really not too different from Buten, just a bit faster.

TECHNICS

Mm, this area is mostly delayed til the update, but here goes some advice at least.

Offensive TECHNICs
    Focus on Diga and Foie. If you're a newman, it is easier to use Gi-technics to fight small hordes of enemies such as Navals and Polties, but the other races are still better off using regular gun bullets.

This will change when we get the boost in April, but for now...

If you're going to be teching for damage, I would earnestly recommend pairing up a techmag/wand combination, with the tech-mag hosting Resta/Reverser and the wand with your attack technics.

Support TECHNICs

Get Resta and Reverser. Love them. Enough said. Because you have Crossbows/cards/mechguns, you can deal out DPS/SEs while still being able to spot-heal and keep your party alive (I know, I keep repeating this, but it's seriously the strongest point of the GT). Plus, more often than not, you'll find the other techers in the party getting frozen/hurt badly and you can just strafe on over to him/her and give a quick heal.

Later on, Giresta can replace Resta, but I personally keep Giresta on a secondary wand and Resta on my main wand because Giresta is slower.

Buffs are your second-best friend. Always have a techmag/wand combo with a full set of buffs ready.

Debuffs... not so much. If you're going up against a Carriguine or some other enemy that buffs themselves, they're OK to have ready so the buffed enemies don't raep you, but other than that, for now they're useless.

TACTICAS

"If you did it and lived, then you probably did it right."

This spot is still under construction; I'll add to it if and when I see more things that need to be added.

ARMOR

What a guntecher ideally needs in an armor is a head slot and an arm slot: Head slot for more TP, and arm slot for more ATP. Anything else is just an afterthought.

Now, for what you could settle for since this isn't a perfect world. If you're a beast or CAST (especially CAST!) you should prioritize a head slot for more TP - yohmei armors generally have head slots so you should shop there. For humans and newmans, the arm slot's the thing - GRM is the way to go.

CAST guntechers shouldn't worry much about SUVs until later on. SUV damage is based off your raw ATP; a cast GT won't ever win any rewards with his ATP until level 60+. There are several armors that have both head and extra slots, however.

Check the database here on PSOW to see which armors might match your needs, later on.

Slot units, for GTs, are easy to call. A Me/Quick for newmans and a / Force unit (probably Orpa/Force at the highest levels, since they're such cheap drops from FoI) for the other races would be your best bet. Oddly enough, though, I find anything less than a Me/Quick too slow even with my Beast GT.

SOLOING

Guntecher is, these days, one of the worst Types for pure soloing. But if you're going to do it, you can long as you have decent NPCs - Leo and Tonnio, or even Tylor, being preferred, as they deal the melee damage you can't and act as very nice meatshields. The best PMs would be either 41x or 42x models for more melee damage.

MEGID vs KILLER SHOT

When it comes to the Incapacitate SE, the Guntecher is the only Type that has access to both choices: Megid and Killer Shot. So which one is better?

Neither, really. KS is better for aiming around corners and downing individual bots; Megid is excellent if the room has choke points you can funnel bots into.

Sadly, few bot-heavy levels have those chokepoints, so in the final analysis I'd have to say go for Killer Shot.

TRAPS

Traps can and will save you time. The best trap we can use is the Burn G trap; sometimes it's hard to give an SE to a gang of Jarbas or Tengoughs, and they often spawn close together. Dropping a G-level trap and triggering it fast means that you've just saved yourself a bit of time in dishing out the pain and helped your group out immensely.

Save your traps for big enemies, however; you can't carry enough to spam them at little enemies and besides, you can SE those well enough with your guns that you shouldn't need traps. And they're expensive, too.

ON DEALING WITH SPELLCASTERS

We all hate them. Gazorans, Deljabans, Gohmon, Vanda, whatever they might be, every world has 'em and they all do very nasty things that ought to be illegal. One of the most useful things you can do on a team is deal with them.

But not with silence. Oh no.

CONFUSE eliminates them as a threat, and for some reason seems to apply a lot more. Confuse makes it so enemies do no damage with spells whatsoever (who knows why? A glitch?) and makes their melee attacks go astray very often as well. Also, whether or not it's shock or silence that prevents Deljabans from flinging megid, confuse throws them for a loop either way, and does increased damage to them to boot.

Because of that, confuse may well be one of your more important SEs to have. If you have the patience, crossbow will do the most good - SE3 will stick often and last longer - but cards will level faster and do just fine themselves. Avoid trying to apply it with mechguns or laser cannons; SE1 is just a joke.

SOLOING

Guntecher is probably one of the better soloing classes, particularly once you get your resta over 400, and as long as you have decent NPCs - Laia and a 410/420 being preferred, as they deal the melee damage you can't and act as very nice meatshields.

Against small human-size or smaller mobs all of the same element, it's best to run past them so that your NPCs get entangled in melee, then hit them with element they're weak against.

If it's a mixed element mob, pull out your Dark crossbow or Dark dual handgun (preferably at 21+ for the crossbow) and spread DOTs - hitting them for 30-35% of their HP will go a long way towards crampign their style.

If it's a large beastie, give it a DOT from your bow/rifle while your NPCs beat them up. Then, if it's a monster with multiple hit areas (like a Kog Nadd or Strateria) or one that's strong against bullets (like the Dilzanen) MELEE! Pull out that tasty elemental dagger and Buten Shuren-zan until it drops or the DOT runs out. If it's vulnerable to bullets, peg it with the element it's weak to.

DRAWING AGGRO

For those of you who don't know this already, monsters don't like being shot. It makes them angry, and when they get angry they charge.

"Aww, but I hate that!" you whine. "I hit them with one or two rifle bullets and they jump all over me!"

But you haven't thought of the tactical opportunities here. You can save your hunter buddy's butt by distracting half of the mob that's charging him, and lead them on a merry goose chase through the block while he smashes them from behind. Or you can draw the monsters into nice, tight groups for ra/gi/di spells, or even barta if your fortetecher buddy likes it for some reason.

Also, you can dodge very, very easily while doing this too - just release the strafe button and run away, to reposition yourself so you've got plenty more backwalking room.

For the aggro-baiter, the best gun is the mechgun, hands down. Heck, you don't even have to have the strafe button held in - just blast away until you have to run, and then release!

GUNTECHER ENDGAME HUNTING

Well, now that you've got your guntecher up to level 80+, what do you want to hunting for?

Let's see, there's the Twin Tornado from either De Ragnus or Mother Brain, Cubo Tuma from Dulk Fakis, Rikauteri from Adahna Degahna, or a Muzzlefever from the bots in Desert Goliath S2.

For units, you WANT a Solid/Power S, or a Cati/Power S. A Bullet/PP Save would be nice, but it's also not too necessary: you want to hit harder, especially as a GT. You have the ATA to sacrifice to the Solid/Power S very easily, so why not hunt for what's the best?

As far as head slots go, a /quick unit is your friend. Fortunately, they're an easy drop in Dancing Birds.

CONCLUSION

Give SEs to enemies. Burn the big ones, shock the little/midsize ones, heal if the fortetecher isn't paying attention, debuff, and above all DON'T worry about DPS.

You aren't playing a DPS class. Fortegunners and guntechers, while we can deal quite a bit of damage, can't match the amount that a fortefighter with an axe, or a fortetecher with dambarta, or even a wartecher with dus daggas, can dish out.

But you are playing the best class in the game, one that is indespensible to those other classes and one that they'll beg you to play over and over and over again, once you get good at playing it.

Enjoy it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2008-04-06 12:48 ]</font>

Why am I taking offense to this?

Regardless, one thing you did miss:

The lovable friendly dragon that's made of cotton candy, De Ragus, is a neutral element. He's not fire.

Just thought I'd clear that up.
    Kyousei - 21 Fnewm

I think this is a good universal guide to the Guntecher class and really should help out anyone starting GT or just confused about how they should play whereas Serens guide was more racially specific and a breakdown of each races role as a GT. Both have their purpose. but it is a bit biased and opinionated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: juno-6 on 2007-02-06 21:23 ]</font>

I like this. I found it to be helpful. Although, I can't say I agree with you about Mechguns just flat out sucking.

Well, another guide to the list. Keep it up & remember to update. ;]
    Blink & you might miss it! ;3

Oh, keep sig at 600x180 px & 49KB, yah?

Primrose Syndicate Admin

On 2007-01-06 19:00, imfanboy wrote:
    For crossbow, the same thing - except possibly add either burn or virus, because SE3 DOES have a chance of affecting some of the big guys like Jarbas. Plus, 3x chance of SE3 vs. 1x chance of SE4 means a better THEORETICAL chance of procing the status effect.
    As a fortegunner who has been using SE3 rifles (level 11-20) for a long time because they take forever to level, and has been leveling said bullets in lab with jarbas, I can say that I'm 99.99% sure this is untrue, unless something changed in the last update. I have never in my entire time of playing PSU seen a SE3 anything stick on a large mob.

Otherwise, cool info, I plan on referring to this for my guntecher when I finally get him off the ground.

The only SE3 I've seen stick to a large monster is fire, the rest seem to require level 4 if they work at all, since I don't think something like shock will ever stick to a large monster

Old Man

Nice job Imfanboy.

I agree with virtually everything and it's written in an enjoyable style.

Kudos

Why Do I Still Post Here? BahnKnakyu's Avatar

Woah, old post.

imafanboy: Please update to take into account the new bullets and weapons we got, especially the ones we will get this week.
    * 98% of people like to put character progress in their signatures. If you're one of the 2% who doesn't, put this in your signature.

I'm waiting until I see some of them in person this weekend, particularly Mayalee Beam, before I update this guide. ^_^ I have 307 PA Frags and I'll probably get more before Friday, so I'll have PLENTY to play around with......