Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Note: Fanboys, just skip this post. I don't want to hear it - I'm just stating something I saw, that I found rather humorous.

So, I was in a Best Buy, not twenty minutes ago. I was looking for a memory stick for my shiny new phone (which, oddly enough, Best Buy had seriously high prices for). After being somewhat dissatisfied with the prices on them, I meandered over to the video game section. I heard people playing Guitar Hero II, and that's always something interesting to see other people do, or play some myself... But they didn't get off of it.

I take a look around, and I see the shelf in the back. Up where you need a ladder to get to, they have all of their game systems.

Lo and behold, not a single Wii to be siin - which was no surprise to me. However, I had heard reports about retailers having lots of PS3s that they can't sell. Well, this particular Best Buy had sixty-seven (67) of them (I counted, with a signature smirk on my face - you know, the "I called it" Steven Colbert kind) on the shelf, and there was an employee still stocking more.

Now, I was expecting to see... maybe twenty or so of them... But 67? And more coming? I had a hard time stopping myself from bursting out into laughter in the store, before leaving.

I don't know about you guys, but that just made my day. I'll be sure and bring a camera, next time I'm in a Best Buy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kent on 2007-01-12 19:03 ]</font>

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

That seems odd... if Best Buy isn't selling their stock, why are they backpiling more? Are they waiting for the day when all those masses of people finally save up the 600 bones to buy one and come flooding in? That's a lot of lost revenue on their part - as I'm sure they're not very cheap for the store to purchase either.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

I read it on PSOW, so it must be true

I don't think that means they aren't selling.

I THINK he means no one's buying.

High pope of the discordians

On 2007-01-09 19:06, Sinue_v2 wrote:
    That seems odd... if Best Buy isn't selling their stock, why are they backpiling more? Are they waiting for the day when all those masses of people finally save up the 600 bones to buy one and come flooding in? That's a lot of lost revenue on their part - as I'm sure they're not very cheap for the store to purchase either.
    I think some stores made contracts with Sony to get a defined amount of PS3, because they awaited a higher demand, now the demand, that was awaited, isn't there, but they still have to buy the consoles from Sony.

Seems like the first did buy the PS3 really primary to resell them at higher prices.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KojiroAK on 2007-01-09 19:26 ]</font>

wii beats out thr next-gen. saw that coming.
    People not buying PS3's? after their other systems messing up? saw that coming.
    sixty-seven a best buy?!?! beats me in the face from behind. how humorous.

I r i s - 13X -VaDewearl (3X)

I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and saw 4 PS3's (well, at least 4, I didn't bother to look any longer as I was in a hurry) in the case at Centerville. Yet, again, there were no Wiis and, what was important to me, no Wiimotes. I looked through a number of stores in Pensacola while I was down there and a number here in the Dayton area and none have had a single Wii OR Wiimote (I already lucked out with the system as a gift and have been looking for a second controller, which I still have yet to find, even online). I find it also of note that I have seen but one person that actually purchased a PS3 though I know there are many more, but that is all I have seen personally.

I'm very surprised at the turn of events. The Xbox360 came through the holidays rather strong again, the PS3 has huge surpluses even with the so-called limited availability, and the Wii and Wii accessories are completely sold out (other than the "Classic pad" or whatever it is called). Certainly interesting to say the least.

Well, atleast you won't have to deal with going to their website and seeing "Back ordered!" and/or "Out of stock!" So... On that note... Screw Wii (I don't mean that sexually.)
    Life is just a lie with an "f" in it.

This is what I like to read! Go Wii!

On 2007-01-09 18:57, Kent wrote:
    I don't know about you guys, but that just made my day. I'll be sure and bring a camera, next time I'm in a Best Buy.
    I'm with you on that. My boss' boss' boss actually told the same story today at lunch, only it was Toys R Us.

I almost feel bad for Sony, but then I come to my senses.

On 2007-01-09 19:44, Norvekh wrote:
    I'm very surprised at the turn of events. The Xbox360 came through the holidays rather strong again, the PS3 has huge surpluses even with the so-called limited availability, and the Wii and Wii accessories are completely sold out (other than the "Classic pad" or whatever it is called). Certainly interesting to say the least.
    Another interesting note, would be that in console sales, the Xbox 360 actually came out on top, this holiday season, with approximately 2 million units sold.

The Wii came in a close second, at 1.8 million units sold (since launch), and only because of supply shortages - otherwise, it probably would've wiped the floor with the 360.

And not surprisingly, the PS3 only sold about 500k since launch. Yes, it has limited availability... But not as limited as the number of buying consumers.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."