One of the 360 Few in Japan
    Bashing my head on my Japanese drivers licence textbook

Hello, this is my 1st post here.

Does anyone have any good hints for taking out De Ragnus at the end of Chapter 8 within the S Rank time limit?

I followed the advice of one of the walkthroughs on GameFAQs, which was avoid the boss as it moves, shoot it in the side as it does so, then go hand to hand when it stops moving. Tried that, but my guns have no effect. I tried different bullets and my rifle very occasionally got 50-60 damage on it using fire or ice. Most of the time I got 0s, especially with my Repeater, Shotgun (it's the one above the first shotgun available, sorry I can't remember its name) and Right Hand Gun. Plasma and Ground/Diga bullets don't seem to do anything.

Also, the boss moves so much or I have to move to avoid the boss' fire or ice attacks that I can't seem to kill him quickly enough. My Ethan Webber is currently Lv 40 - do I need to level up more? Any advice on taking the big guy down quicker? What is the S Rank Time Limit for this mission? PSUPedia says one guy did it in in 1m 14s! I can only get about 4m 30s which doesn't even put me in the ballpark!

I'd really like to know what I'm doing wrong here as I've gotten S in all the other time trials so far, but I'm not even close on this one...

Thanks for your time!

the fact that you are a ranger makes this very difficult heck even as a hunter i needed a little bit of luck and had to resort to spamming dus daggas. his weakspot is his two heads. i think your best bet if you want to stick with guns is bow. the problem is he moves so much it's hard to concentrate fire on it's heads for long and this guy really pissed me off when he flies.

sig by gama
    Justina human female Te/Hu maybe braver soon
    Shayla newman female Br/Ra
    Alisha.EXE cast female Bo/Hu
    ship 02 team:none

The S-Rank clear time is 2:00 mins.the sides are heavily armored avoid hits there and go for the neck or tail. when it flys shoot at the head.you may also want to avoid the freeze side cause if you freeze it takes up time.I would recommend switching to hunter for melee attacks to the neck it's your choice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RS on 2007-01-30 23:51 ]</font>
    It seem's like I've been here before.

Thanks very much for the tips!

I'll try them out later. By the way, Alisha, I'm playing a pure hunter in story mode, not ranger, it's just that I happen to use guns as well as bladed weapons. Will take your and RS's advice and try to spooge as many Photon Arts in De Ragnus' faces as possible!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Revolva on 2007-01-31 04:10 ]</font>

Thanks again to RS and Alisha for the great tips! Took me a couple more tries, but I eventually beat De Ragnus with 1:31 on the clock! A massive improvement on what I was getting before.

For other peeps who might run into the same problem as I did:

Guns were just as useless on its two heads/necks as hitting it on the side, but spamming Rising Strike and whatever I have on my twin daggers (it's the PA where you twirl around on the spot for multiple hits around you) on its necks worked a charm. I tried to steer the hits towards the heads unless they were out of reach. Perhaps playing as a Ranger in story mode will let you damage De Ragnus with guns... but my Lv 7 Hunter did bupkus. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks again, and happy hunting!