FOnewearl Plushie Fan

Brief bit of background for this: I live in an apartment which is exclusively for university students attending the school I'm at, but which is not in any official capacity affiliated with the school. Essentially, the principle behind the place is "only students would be broke enough to live in a hellhole like this." And it is a hellhole--there's two(!) different bars in the building, mice (fortunately none left in my room, thanks to some traps I put out back in September), constant noise abuse, and the place is trashed on a regular basis. By some of the other tenants.

This place is ghetto.

Anyway, another problem we've been suffering of late is that in the communal freezers, there've been thefts. And I'm not talking about someone taking, say, a can of lemonade, or a pizza-pop...ohhhh, no. People in this building KNOW we're in a ghetto place, so anyone using the communal food storage takes steps to prevent theft. Locked toolboxes or tackleboxes in which food is placed seems to be the way to go around here. I myself, having lived here last year (and not trusting the communal freezer even then) know better than to put anything in there...but even I never thought anyone would bother stealing those big, bulky, LOCKED boxes of dubious nutritional value.

Boy was I wrong.

For the past month or so, someone had been stealing food from the freezer. Tackleboxes and all. At least seven people had their food stolen right out of the kitchen, including a good friend of mine (and fellow PSO player, since I talked him into buying a dreamcast and a copy of the game back in September, 'cause it was cheap)

'course, there's no surveillance in the kitchens, and with so many people in the building, it's hard to keep an eye on everyone, especially with the hours we university kids keep. (in regards to said hours, look at the time this was posted at.) So, the most that's been done, up until today, was a sign was placed above the freezer, asking people not to steal food plzkthnks. Exclamation points galore, too. By the Pratchett Insanity Index, whoever runs this place is definitely in need of some dried frog pills.

All that changed tonight. As I was in the washroom brushing my teeth, I heard the slams and the whams and the shouting associated with the people who live on other floors (The floor on which I live is a nice, quiet place, with happy, friendly people who make good neighbors and who would seriously fit better in any normal apartment than a ghetto like this...if you ignore the pot-smoker, anyway, but he's cool when he's not setting off the fire alarm with his doobies.)

Well, I figured something was going down, so I finished up with my teeth (dental hygeine is important. Cavities aren't fun. Nitrous Oxide is, but that's a story for another day) and I headed out to the kitchen to see what was going down. Well, I'd just missed the girls, but the pothead and a friend had got the late night munchies, and had witnessed these girls leaving with a couple of boxes of food from the freezer--and had caught them more or less in the act. They only caught the end, though, so they didn't know whether or not they HAD stolen them. Just a glimpse, and all.

So as we sat discussing what to do about it, the RA for the floor above us comes downstairs with the tackleboxes. Apparently he'd heard some thuds, followed the girls to their room, and walked in on them saying 'Jesus, that's enough!' or something similar. The girls protested that they'd "found them on the landing" but given the witnesses...

...well, I can't wait for the arrest/eviction.

Anyway. This probably belongs in rants or something but I figured it was an amusing enough anecdote that I should share it. If you think it's funny, ask me nice and I might post some of the other amusing and crazy stuff that happens here...and good lord, is there ever a large pile of stories to go with that.

Just a lil' bit old school. Mazarin's Avatar

My favorite way of stoping food theft:

"To whoever keeps stealing the food: I hope you've been enjoying the food that I've paid for and prepared the past week. I've left several suprises in the meals recently. One of them was something I found in the trash a week ago. Can you guess what it was? I bet you can't. But I bet you'll find out soon. And if you don't cease with stealing my food, the next meal you steal won't be as sanitary. Thank you, and Good day."

take a tacklebox and a landmine

FOnewearl Plushie Fan

Only a) they didn't and couldn't take any of my stuff and b) they've already been caught. So methods of preventing/getting revenge aren't exactly useful.

'sides, nothing tops what DID happen: a pothead gets the munchies and walks in on them doing it.

Careless, ignorant, and insensitive

'sides, nothing tops what DID happen: a pothead gets the munchies and walks in on them doing it.
    Heh good ol' potheads always coming through for you in the end. ^_^;

lol, i agree with Mazarin, and offer them some "extra mayo" on their ham and cheese sammich!!

FOnewearl Plushie Fan

More of the truth comes out: apparently the boyfriend of one of the food thieves is the guy who's been egging, buttering, and smashing dents into my door.

I'd kinda wondered why they'd been wasting money by hurling food at my room, but I guess if it wasn't THEIR food to begin with, it wouldn't matter much to them. Didn't bother me, after the first time--the only reason I even knew they'd done the butter was because I happened to go for breakfast as the cleaning ladies were wiping my door, and they got to the second set of egging without me doing anything. The first egging I cleaned myself, though.

Yes. This place is ghetto.

I Dream Of Sleep

On 2002-12-11 00:52, Kayumi wrote:

Exclamation points galore, too. By the Pratchett Insanity Index, whoever runs this place is definitely in need of some dried frog pills.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears their underpants on his head"

Well least the people who were nicking the food were caught. But what did they do with all those tackle boxes/fishing boxes?

On 2002-12-11 13:54, Deathscythealpha wrote:
    But what did they do with all those tackle boxes/fishing boxes?
    I can't speak for everyone, but I'd of made a damn good fort with all of them! o_O

...or if I needed them for my fishing tackle...or I could sell them...or put them back...
    Look, he did it again.

FOnewearl Plushie Fan

Well, considering how they'd have had to bust them open to get at the food, I assume they smashed them to bits and threw them in the dumpster when they finished. The RA who caught them said he only saw them with two, so they must have disposed of the rest somewhere.

Perhaps they DID build a fort, though. It would have been the smart thing to do, considering they're not going to have anywhere to live after today...