Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

The harder the games the more gameplay you get I guess. PS 4 was very easy compared to 2 and I found 3 so boring I gave up on it.

As far as difficulty goes its all about neiitem dungeons in dezo during phantasy star 2 - too many fight scenes.... oh and of cause dark force in pandoras box --harder than the final boss I think.

I think PS1 is my favorite. It was such an awesome game when it came out, and it still is to me. I absolutely love the opening theme music and the dungeon music kicks much ass. Man, talk about hard too, the dungeon you have to navigate to get to the air castle was brutal. 14 or 16 floors IIRC complete with pit traps. Then if surviving that hell isn't bad enough, your reward is fighting Lassic. Memories.....

Interesting to see mixed opinons regarding the original PS series. And I definitely agree, the classic adventures were right on the mark. Both challenging, and compelling. It all depended on how well you took care of your team (literally).

Along with the different decisions you made, they became critical key parts to the story. Maybe you might gain a new ally or an enemy. Whatever you did, it was motivated by pure choice.

Plus the difficulty level varied, PS1 (that is a challenge starting out, but you'll get used to it). PS2 (a bit more varied & balanced, although it takes awhile to level up. Keep alot of health items handy, enemies dont play nice in this world). PS3 (Kinda the cousin you forgot during a party. A bit of a snack really, it didnt feel like a core PS entry).
    PS4 (This is by far the best entry. Cross generations, unlocked different paths. In some ways, its like 3 games in one.)

I can't disagree, current gen games aren't as difficult with what we grew up playing. And that's a a real shame. RPG's are meant to be a compelling adventure, bold stories, and gameplay that makes each title unique. Everyone's honestly lost their originality, but a few stand out (which is a great sign).

Maybe there will be a day when PS makes an even bigger comeback. Some day.

Robotic Fox Mage

I am constantly complaining about the fact that games are way too easy nowadays, even the really hard ones, and my argument for it still stands. When I play an action game nowadays for example, sure it may take about 10-20 hours to beat while an older one may take about 30-60 minutes, but I can still end up spending a greater amount of time trying to clear the older game in total because I'm constantly dieing where as in almost all games made nowadays I usually deliberatly get myself killed once just so I can see what the gameover screen is like because it's impossible to actually get killed. Granted that's not true with all games, but it's definately true for most, and it's because the games are getting too advanced. In an oldschool 2-D game, if an enemy fires a barrage of bullets at you, all you can do is duck and jump through them, but nowadays all you have to do is run to the side. I hate newer games in comparison to older ones, and 99% of that is because they are just too easy to keep me interested in them for long enough to get through their countless hours of gameplay. Heck the only reason I'm still playing PSU is because it's multiplayer and that significantly increases the level of fun I can have with a game. Anyway, about the classic Phantasy Star games in specific, the hardest one for me is difficult to say. Probably the 2nd one, but I haven't beaten either the 1st or 3rd so I can't say for sure about those ones. The 3rd one I just stopped playing shortly after reaching the second generation because I got distracted by other games, and I just simply got stuck in the 1st one and didn't feel like looking up what I needed to do at the time. Heck, now that I think about it, the only reason I made it through half of the dungeons in the second one I believe was because I was using a faq. I do remember laughing it up though when Dark Force started making my party members evil, causing them to do random evil stuff. Oh, that reminds me, I hear that there's a way to keep Nei alive in PS2, and if that's true, I was curious about whether or not they show a shot of her in the ending when they go through all of the shots of your other characters.

The only way to keep Nei alive in PSII is to use a hacked gamesave. However, she doesn't play a part in the storyline. In the Sega Ages remakes though, if you meet certain prerequisites on PSG1, there is a way to save Nei - and the ending does change. Not dramatically I hear, but she does play a role.

Personally, I don't like the idea. Nei needs to die as it's one of the most defining moments of the game and of her character. To take away her sacrifice, in a way, destroys her very character in favor of a slightly more "happy ending".

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!