Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Who'd have thought hand embroidery would be so soothing to learn. Originally, this was meant to be practice for mass making several of these as a way of giving my PSO friends birthday presents.

Both "wing" parts each took a couple of hours to embroider and you can tell where I started with this (The head/diamond part at the top) since the stitches are all... wonky. The body and tail part should have been the easiest part but I managed to squiff the edge somehow by rubbing out the chalk markings with my thumb/stowing it away in my bag without covering it. Whoops!

I've still got the purple border to do but that means I have to learn how to do a blanket stitch/buttonhole stitch all the way around the ID without taking it off the embroidery ring. I'd do it now but I'm out of purple thread and it's half two in the morning... So.. I'll have to wait until the store opens tomorrow, heh.

Turning the thing upside down, I can see a lot of mistakes in it but again, it's my first one and I did do most of it on the 40 minute train ride to lecture(s) everyday. If it wasn't illegal, I'd comission making these and I think I could get a whole section ID done in two or three days. This one's 4" in diameter though (about 10cm) and I don't plan on making anymore that are this big. Maybe around 3" since that's about the same size as most embroidered patches like the ones you get from the Guides or Scouts.

Update: Took off two pictures and added Redria and Bluefull Section IDs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: biggabertha on 2007-12-18 14:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: biggabertha on 2007-12-18 14:46 ]</font>

I really like it!
    These are a great idea to do with embroidery. It's always wonderful to see interesting objects that people make as fan-stuff that's not just CG art. What are you planning to do with this when it is complete?

It shouldn't be illegal to make these. ST should do what "Snakes on a Plane" did and open up the rights on stuff like that. (Snakes on a Plane opened up the rights on CafePress, and everyone just went wild making loads of hilarious merchandise spoofing the slogan/logo/etc and selling it) After all, they're through with Sect. IDs/mags etc...It could only help the franchise if people went around making interesting things with it.

Still, this is a cool idea, especially if you wanted to build a cosplay. Though, things like pinkal/greenill/etc. might get rough with all the lines in them. (still, if it's relaxing and fun to make them, oh well, its all good)

I plan on sewing it onto my satchel and wearing it to college or wherever I go. I've got the threads picked out for every ID but the ones I'm really not looking forward to are the ones with lots and lots of curves. Straight lines I can deal with and sort of make them look symmetrical but curves are a bit harder when the fabric's not very traceable.

Still, that's what my table lamp, the glass from my photograph frame, my inkjet printer and my sharpened bit of chalk from the seaside (really ought to get a chalk pencil, this embnroidery smells of mussels...) is for!

As for the legalities, I checked up with a friend doing law that fan things like this is fine, IF you don't sell them. Trading them or giving them as gifts is fine but not in large quantities. So um... Who wants to trade their PSU items for a section ID? n.n;;;;;

Go ahead and sell small patches. These aren't trademarked, and over five years old. I once reported a t-shirt shop to SEGA, because they had the official artwork lifted from the PSO CD on stuff, and they never did anything.

when you wear that wherever you go, be careful, L&K14 COMBATs will start dropping randomly at your feet
    lol jk, I really like the idea
    I'd buy an Oran one

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lethe on 2007-10-23 07:40 ]</font>

On 2007-10-23 07:37, lethe wrote:
    when you wear that wherever you go, be careful, L&K14 COMBATs will start dropping randomly at your feet
    I lol'd.

In all seriousness, excellent job. Do you where it like a pin?

On 2007-10-23 07:37, lethe wrote:
    lol jk, I really like the idea
    I'd buy an Oran one

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lethe on 2007-10-23 07:40 ]</font>
    M&A60 Vyses.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

Mechanized Combat Engineer Freshellent's Avatar

I'm actually wearing a shirt right now that has the Lobas torso armor symbol.

Cept' I stenciled mine on. Cool stuff though.
    Veteran of the former Universe 11. PSO2 -Ship 02-

I want that on the left sleeve of my jacket XD

Hunters Guild Group
    Alex - BrHu | Satsuki - RaGu | Keiko - SuTe