View Poll Results: In Phantasy Star 2 the character 'Rudo (Rudolf) Steiner' describes himself as a 'Professional Biomon

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ranger

4 57.14%
  • Hunter

3 42.86%
  • The translation is wrong I think

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HUnewearl_Meira View Post
    And if you describe a man who works primarily with large guns as a "Hunter" to a person who recognizes that term as a person who works primarily with large melee weapons, do you subsequently convey a correct understanding of what he is, or have you simply confused your friend?
    A Hunter is a Hunter is a Hunter in the original Phantasy Star Games. Like was said above you can't even compare them really to PSO or PSU anyway. Hell, you can't even compare PSU and PSO.

In certain contexts, comparing a character from a classic game with a newer game does not work, as the terminology does vary; for example, PSII's "Professions" do not match up to PSO's "Classes" at all, as they both describe different things.

Consider this thoroughly, however, as you're clearly not getting the point: In other contexts, however, virtually any combat-geared character can be described by comparing his or her weapons specialties and various abilities to PSO or PSU's class systems, with PSU's being slightly more flexible in this respect. That being said, I can clearly say, "Cloud is like a HUmar," meaning precisely that Cloud of Final Fantasy VII is a male human who specializes in the use of swords and occasionally does magic. This comparison, in no way, indicates that Cloud is, in fact, a HUmar, but it does, however, take advantage of the common understanding of the term, "HUmar" between you and a friend who has apparently never played Final Fantasy VII, to have an independent understanding of "Cloud".

Just the same, I can say, "Rudolf Steiner is like a Gunmaster," which in turn, is not meant to imply that he is a PSU character that can literally have this assignment, but it does provide a person who is familiar with PSU, yet ignorant of Rudo, with a viable comparison to something that he is acquainted with-- A wielder of a variety of large projectile weapons, including rifles, shotguns and laser cannons.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

In certain contexts, comparing a character from a classic game with a newer game does not work, as the terminology does vary; for example, PSII's "Professions" do not match up to PSO's "Classes" at all, as they both describe different things.

Consider this thoroughly, however, as you're clearly not getting the point: In other contexts, however, virtually any combat-geared character can be described by comparing his or her weapons specialties and various abilities to PSO or PSU's class systems, with PSU's being slightly more flexible in this respect. That being said, I can clearly say, "Cloud is like a HUmar," meaning precisely that Cloud of Final Fantasy VII is a male human who specializes in the use of swords and occasionally does magic. This comparison, in no way, indicates that Cloud is, in fact, a HUmar, but it does, however, take advantage of the common understanding of the term, "HUmar" between you and a friend who has apparently never played Final Fantasy VII, to have an independent understanding of "Cloud".

Just the same, I can say, "Rudolf Steiner is like a Gunmaster," which in turn, is not meant to imply that he is a PSU character that can literally have this assignment, but it does provide a person who is familiar with PSU, yet ignorant of Rudo, with a viable comparison to something that he is acquainted with-- A wielder of a variety of large projectile weapons, including rifles, shotguns and laser cannons.
    I got the point, I don't agree with it. He was a Hunter, obviously in the years of the timeline if PS2 and PSO are connected, what a Hunter is changed and so did the weapons they used.

The game says he's a hunter, therefore that's what he is.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfur View Post
    I got the point, I don't agree with it. He was a Hunter, obviously in the years of the timeline if PS2 and PSO are connected, what a Hunter is changed and so did the weapons they used.

The game says he's a hunter, therefore that's what he is.
    You clearly don't get my point, as your counterpoint is entirely unrelated to what I'm saying. I agree with you that Phantasy Star II specifically states that Rudo is a Hunter, by profession. There is no argument in this respect. In fact, I have a screen shot that demonstrates this fact:

As you can see, this character is undeniably a Hunter by profession. This is simple, easily establish truth, and you and I both agree on this. It has absolutely nothing to do with the logical principle that I am apparently failing to explain, however.

Unfortunately, this is communications medium is unsuited for me to properly engage in dialectic with you, so that what I am saying can be properly ground home, but I will nevertheless, attempt to present the information in as vivid a manner possible.

The statement is simply, "Rudo is like a Gunmaster." Let us examine how this works.

The subject of the sentence is "Rudo", who we have established is a character from Phantasy Star 2, whose job title is implicitly, "Hunter". In the context of the game, this specifically means that he hunts Bio-Monsters professionally, to earn his pay. What tools he uses to perform his commission are his own affair.

The sentence's verb is, "is", which is the 3rd person, singular, present-tense indication of "be". The syntax of the verb requires a subject prefixed to the word, and some descriptive term, such as an adjective or preposition following it. In this case, the word links the subject to the word "like" as a preposition, literally meaning, "in like manner with; similarly to; in the manner characteristic of".

The word "like", when used in this manner, makes a comparison to another entity which must be next identified. In this case, that entity is "a Gunmaster". "A", referring to an individual specimen, taken as a generic example. When placed all together, the statement attempts to explain that Rudo and the PSU class, "Gunmaster" have a significant number of common qualities. Note that the statement specifically does not establish identity

As it is, the class, "Gunmaster" is most visibly defined by the variety of weapons it is licensed to use. In this case, that list of weapons prominently features Rifles, Shotguns and Laser Cannons. If you'd like to consider it more generically, we can simplify it down to two-handed guns.

Rudo can likewise be regarded according to the variety of weapons that he uses, as this sort of knowledge is important to anyone playing through Phantasy Star II. The weapons that he uses are, in fact, Rifles, Shotguns and Laser Cannons. If you'd like to consider it more generically, we can simplify it down to two-handed guns.

So we have now established that a significant trait of Gunmasters is that they use two-handed guns, and that a significant trait of Rudo is that he uses two-handed guns. It is therefore illogical to state that Rudo does not share this significant defining quality with the Gunmaster class. Therefore, Rudo has a distinct and apparent similarity to Gunmasters, that merits comparing the two entities when trying to relieve another's ignorance with simple, familiar terms.

Now, I can go and explain all of that, or I can be more succinct about it, and just say, "Rudo is like a Gunmaster". I can describe the similarity between the two with 3 paragraphs, or 5 words. Personally, I believe that the conversation moves a little more quickly if I choose the option to explain it with 5 words.

Simply enough, you are talking about Identity. I am talking about Similarity. These are two different properties, altogether.

Simply enough, you are talking about Identity. I am talking about Similarity. These are two different properties, altogether.
    Ok, let me state it like this, I don't agree with that assessment. I do not find a similarity between Rudo and a Gunner. I do get what you are saying, as I said, I just don't agree with it.

Ok, let me state it like this, I don't agree with that assessment. I do not find a similarity between Rudo and a Gunner. I do get what you are saying, as I said, I just don't agree with it.
    The similarity lies simply in the style of weapons they use-- two-handed guns. To argue that there is no similarity between the two, is to argue that one or the other does not use two-handed guns, which is non-factual. It is the most apparent defining quality of a Gunner, and tactically speaking, the most important quality that Rudo possesses. Therefore, in describing Rudo to a person who is familiar with PSU, but not PSII, the easiest route would be to compare him to a pure-ranger-type, such as Fortegunner or Gunmaster.

The similarity lies simply in the style of weapons they use-- two-handed guns. To argue that there is no similarity between the two, is to argue that one or the other does not use two-handed guns, which is non-factual. It is the most apparent defining quality of a Gunner, and tactically speaking, the most important quality that Rudo possesses. Therefore, in describing Rudo to a person who is familiar with PSU, but not PSII, the easiest route would be to compare him to a pure-ranger-type, such as Fortegunner or Gunmaster.
    Why are you determined to push your opinion on mine. I don't agree that they are similar. Yes they both use guns, that's it. The classes are so widely different the similarity ends with that one fact. So no, they are not similar, they are not the same. I disagree with you, can you please stop trying to force your view on mine.

As stated earlier, he is a hunter. The same as any PSO ranger or force is also a hunter, because they are members of the hunter's guild. They hunt, it's what they do. The fact that Rudo can be more precisely classified as a ranger simply signifies how he goes about doing his job as a hunter.

It's too bad the 16 bit generation didn't offer more space for lettering in the games, they could have listed his profession as HUNTER>RANGER, then we wouldn't need to have this pointless argument.
    Always outnumbered... Never out-gunned.

Why are you determined to push your opinion on mine. I don't agree that they are similar. Yes they both use guns, that's it. The classes are so widely different the similarity ends with that one fact. So no, they are not similar, they are not the same. I disagree with you, can you please stop trying to force your view on mine.
    Thus far, I've not yet presented an opinion. "PSU is a good game" is an opinion, the validity of which has been up to enormous debate on this site, since the day the game came out. "Rudo has similarities to Fortegunner" is not an opinion. It is a logical construct based on the observation that Fortegunner's arsenal-- the class's defining characteristic --holds a tremendous amount of overlap with that of Rudo. This similarity is most important in the scenario that I originally proposed-- an attempt to define Rudo by PSO or PSU's terminology, under which circumstances I indicated that your best means of describing him would be to compare him to a Ranger class of some sort. You argue that you don't see any similarities between Rudo and a Ranger class from PSO or PSU, which leads me to suggest this: You tell me how you would solve the trivial scenario of trying to describe this classic Phantasy Star character using terminology from PSO or PSU.

Thus far, I've not yet presented an opinion. "PSU is a good game" is an opinion, the validity of which has been up to enormous debate on this site, since the day the game came out. "Rudo has similarities to Fortegunner" is not an opinion. It is a logical construct based on the observation that Fortegunner's arsenal-- the class's defining characteristic --holds a tremendous amount of overlap with that of Rudo. This similarity is most important in the scenario that I originally proposed-- an attempt to define Rudo by PSO or PSU's terminology, under which circumstances I indicated that your best means of describing him would be to compare him to a Ranger class of some sort. You argue that you don't see any similarities between Rudo and a Ranger class from PSO or PSU, which leads me to suggest this: You tell me how you would solve the trivial scenario of trying to describe this classic Phantasy Star character using terminology from PSO or PSU.
    First of all, I barely know PSU, I don't really like the game. Second, you cannot use the terms from PSO or PSU to describe stuff from the old games, they aren't even the same thing. I would call Rudo a Hunter in PSO, Not a Ranger.