to make people dumber and slower and easy to get
    mad and do something dumb.

but of course I don't tell them that cause that's
    like telling a smoker that's smoking is bad for
    them, you never know how they'll react. It's weird
    there are some nice people, but they smoke, it
    doesn't make sense.

Who is this guy again? Shadowpawn's Avatar

Wow Saner, I didn't know you were old enough to go to a bar, like srsly. No offense. You don't go to a bar JUST to get hammered. You go to meet people and get away from your problems. You just go to have fun and if that's not your thing, then don't go. They should understand if they're your friends.

I wouldn't go because of the atmosphere. Despite the fact that most people don't go to get hammered, many end up doing so anyway.
    I would go with your idea of convincing them to go to a restaurant. You can get a drink there anyways.
    I just tell my friends that I don't drink, of course you get the "why not?" and usually I say something like "cuz I don't like having to piss every 5 minutes <_> and somebody's gotta drive you home" or something somewhat sarcastic, usually works. If it comes down to it I just tell them I don't like it, stfu, and let me have my soda instead <_>

Yep, just like restaurants, clubs, what have you they're places to socialize and for many have a drink. Many serve cola or other non alcoholic beverages, as well as food.

I don't drink, but there's quite a few restaurant / bars in our area and I have no problem getting a non alcoholic drink from them.

Ask your co-workers if the bar they were thinking of serves non alcoholoc beverages or food/snacks, and you should be set. (And don't let anyone pressure you into having a drink if you don't want one).

Get out there and live a little saner! you sound really helpless, honestly they arn't that bad at all.

Also most people don't drink because they have depression - its just to have some fun really from the daily grind.
    I'm straight, so what?

If there is ever a fight, leave A-S-A-Fucking-P.
    No fun getting mace'd from the PoPo when they arrive.

ID: Haseyo FO
    Character: Roll Caskett | Ship: 02
    Character: Hsien-Ko | Ship: 02

You're what, 26? You have a rather simplistic view on things.

Are bars safe? Depends, are you going out to the middle of no where, or are you just going to a local bar? Depends on the bar, and the patrons. There are bars in town that depending on who goes, fights break out. Overall, you're not going to get shanked or shot, this isn't the Wild West. Don't use movies or television for a point of reference when it comes to reality.

Aswell, you don't just have to drink beer at a bar, theres liquor and mixed drinks. Get something and try it, you'll never know what you like until then. I never liked beer, but vodka has always been my thing.

Most bars will serve food, because most people like to eat when they drink(and the more they eat, the more they can safely drink, so the bar makes more money). I've had some pretty bad ass meals in a bar, better than I'd gotten at full on restaurants no less.

Why do people drink? Why do people do anything recreational? A nice drink, good company, good food, good times. Don't confuse alcoholism with people just drinking while being social. Aswell, drinking is fine as long as its in moderation. I've never drank to the extent that I've had a hang over the next day, I have a very fast metabolism so I tend to get a nice buzz going relatively quickly, and based on that I know whether to slow down or keep at my pace.

I say have a go, but keep this in mind; don't drink on an empty stomach, always eat abit before you start drinking, and even during. Don't play the "I can drink more than you" game with anyone, drink at your own leisure and don't try to keep pace with anyone. Don't preach to others about how much they're drinking, some people can handle alcohol better than others so everyone has their own 'limit'. Know what your limit is and stop a ways before you reach it; I've never had a hang over nor thrown up due to drinking. And of course, don't drink and drive.
    Look, he did it again.

Nah, don't let yourself be convinced to get into the booze. Seriously. The world would be a better place without it.

Also, co-workers is not necessarily the same as friends. You are allowed a life outside the workplace (nay, you are obligated to have one, for the sake of everyone who is sort of bullied into selling their life to the company).

Edit: bottom line, if your insticts says no, don't do it. Peer pressure or not. F that noise.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SabZero on 2008-04-09 13:31 ]</font>

well really, you will be going with others from work. it really wont be much different for you than just going to a restaurant, because you'll probably be sitting at a table with the others from work, and if you're going during the week and depending on where you're going, you're probably not going to be standing there, crowding the bar for 2 hours waiting to get a drink. it's just going to be like going to a restaurant with the atmosphere being a little nicer and looser, you'll be fine

Also, being male or female does change things.
    Males must be more careful, being we love to fight for no reason.

Many of my teachers tell me countless stories of bar visits.
    Just don't do anything reckless, and you should be fine.

ID: Haseyo FO
    Character: Roll Caskett | Ship: 02
    Character: Hsien-Ko | Ship: 02