Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

...If I was much for keeping tradition in my family, I'd already be married, divorced, and have a kid - and I turned 21 last month.

I don't know about with your family, but I let mine know exactly how disgusted I am with the lot of them, when they pressure me to make the same mistakes they did. Then I get criticized and scolded for having a way of life and a direction that's so radically different from the rest of them (because apparently, applying my intellectual pursuits toward making video games is absolutely freaking ridiculous, even if I am the top of my class and most likely to succeed).

Every time I'm seen with a girl by any family members, they do always tease me about it, and throw out the occaisional "So when are you two getting married?" Basically every time my dad sees a girl at my school (pretty rare in this field - most are there for Criminal Justice), he basically always says something about her - even if I don't know who she is, but if I ever so much as say anything to her, and he catches wind of it, it's automatically assumed that I'm interested.

Despite that, being that I work at the school, my job prevents me from pursuing a relationship with any of the students (or staff, for that matter). I happen to like my nice, cushy job, thanks. I don't really blame him for wanting to see me in a relationship... But I don't like people pressuring into rushing things that I'm already taking in stride.

On a side-note, I do have three stepsisters, the daughters of the angry, ex-military, picturesque redneck that decided to marry my mom. All three of them have kids (or have been pregnant and inticed a miscarriage) and are below 25 (the youngest being 18, and already has been pregnant twice). I have a habit of learning from the mistakes of others - every single one of them has gone completely insane from the children, and is a rather horrible parent.

...Yeah. Glad I'm smarter than that.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Absolutely, positively the MOST unlucky person!!! Raine_Loire's Avatar

Drizzle said it perfectly. Get married when you want to get married because you're with the person you want to be with forever. Have kids when the 2 of you are ready.

It will without a doubt ruin your life to marry someone and have kids just to have married someone and had kids.

@ Kent... You're REALLY harsh and judgmental about your stepsisters. It doesn't reflect well on you. What exactly kind of job do you have at that school anyway? I've never heard of any job besides teacher that you can't date students, lol. And you can't really blame your parents for thinking the direction you want your life to go in is silly- do you have a clue how many people between 16 and 30 want to "make video games?" All you can do is keep plugging away, and proving you'll be in the small percentage of those who actually succeed.

Teacher's Assistant. When I got signed on, I had to sign a paper saying that my fulfillment of the position would be terminated if I were to pursue any form of intimate relationship with another student (though, I don't think it goes retroactively, but that doesn't really matter, anyway).

And yeah, I realize how it is about "I wanan make teh vidya gaemeZ!1 D:" and such, but I find it interesting that they don't lend an ear long enough to figure out that I'm one of those people who actually has the ability and passion required to do it - hell, I already have one game published (and learned a valuable lesson on "development hell," in the process). It's funny, because people who aren't relatives of one or more generations behind mine just love the idea and give all of the support they can (with a couple exceptions, such as my sister, who openly hates video games... Then steals my GameBoy Color and PlayStation 2 for Tetris and Guitar Hero, respectively).

To be honest, though... I don't think I'm being that harsh on my stepsisters. I have a rather high tolerance for people living their own lives and following their own paths, but there's a point where it's the most wrought with failure (did I mention that only the middle child of the three, the one my age, has actually ever graduated high school or gotten a GED? I don't think I did), and rife with the worst, most convoluted, and nigh-nonexistant logic I've ever been able to perceive. There's also a point where it starts to interfere with my life, like when I'm visiting my mom over break...

Things like leaving small children alone, going on an insane rampage of yelling and screaming on a whim (is that caused by children? :/ ), and willingly and knowingly going out cruising (probably on the way to visit the boyfriend, who just happens to be a drain on society) in someone else's vehicle, without permission or even so much as a permit (much less a license). Knowing their actual father, and hearing nothing but unsavory things about their mother (never met her myself, so I don't know about that), I can't help but imagine that this sort of thing is hereditary.

Of course, it's not like I go around preaching hatred or their downfalls or anything - I'm not like thier father (who is just about as hateful as your average Klan member - he is one of those people that thinks races should never intermix). In basically all circumstances, I'm the only one around that's being civil. :/

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

On 2008-05-20 00:55, Raine_Loire wrote:

And you can't really blame your parents for thinking the direction you want your life to go in is silly- do you have a clue how many people between 16 and 30 want to "make video games?"

about the same amount of people that want to be screen writers, and think they have an idea for a script that could "change the world"

I think the ratio may have shifted more to the video game maker side by now.

i think i have to agree with you, raine. and i see that as a major problem... with video games rising in popularity and becoming more and more socially acceptable with people from all age groups, the amount of "gamers" out there keep growing... and taking more traditional junkies into the status of a "gamer" as well. you have the "DVD junkies" sitting at home watching movies all the time, the same type of people(and then some) are now crossing over to the "video game junkies" that sit at home all day, playing video games. and most of the time, it's the junkies that want to take "their passion" and make it into a career... but the problem is, their only actual hobbies are playing video games, watching movies, and maybe becoming a rockstar because they know how to play an acoustic. so instead of pursuing a logical career choice, they would rather live this fantasy of "living the rich life" of a film writer, a director, an actor, a rockstar, a model, a socialite, and now the glamorous video game maker... lol

there isnt the same amount of people who have that dream to "GO TO HOLLYWOOD" and "MAKE IT BIG." now it's i want to "STAY HOME ALL DAY AND PLAY VIDEO GAMES, TAKE SOME NIGHT CLASSES, AND HOPEFULLY GET TO SIT IN A CUBICLE WORKING 18 HOURS A DAY PROGRAMMING CODE FOR A GAME COMPANY YOU DONT EVEN LIKE, WHILE IN THE MEANTIME KEEP ON TRYING TO 'PLUG MY GAME IDEA TO THE HIGHER-UPS' TO NO AVAIL."

if i had to choose, i'd stick with the movie junkies.

Wait- you mean life ISN'T like the movie "grandma's boy" ???

oh yes, the great american classic "mama's boy," i heard it's based on a true story... the CRAZY INSANE PARTY that is fueled by nothing but weed, the guy smoking all day and somehow taking time away from his hectic life to create THE NEXT BIG GAME, getting a "hot babe" while living the typical life of a loser, and his grandma playing his ultimate rival in a "battle" of his own game to see who the real creator of that virtual masterpiece is. its like someone stole the stories of hundreds of thousands of stoner video game junkies and made a documentary about their similar quests.

i'm sorry if i've ruined the movie for anyone who has been dying to see it, i saw it against my better judgement with some people that LOVED IT a few years ago... and surprisingly, those people i went to see it with are no longer with me.

but the ending wont really surprise you. that "true to life story" in the movie is a lifestyle that i'm sure many, many, many around the US have lived. after all, they are trying to reach a demographic of people that say silently to themselves whilst watching, "hey, i'm JUST like that guy!" i have 8 more years before i can be "that guy." its going to take hard work of sitting around all day doing nothing, watching adult swim and G4, and smokin blunts to the face while waiting patiently for it "all to come together" before i can achieve that level of success

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlaizeYES on 2008-05-21 15:59 ]</font>

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

How did this turn from ethnic pregnancy to video game producing and screenwriting, and how low the chances are?

cultural differences

THE JACKEL