Unhappy buggy loading...help?

So I recently bought both the original and AOTI versions of PSU for my PC (I wanted the story, despite hearing its crap...anyway)
    Playing through the original, everything worked perfectly. Once I started playing the story mode on AOTI, I ran into a consistent problem. Whenever its required that something be loaded it lags, as if I'm lagging online, the music starts skipping, then finally whatever needed to load will load. In character creation, whenever something is modified on the character (such as hair, or clothing) this problem occurs. If I'm patient enough to actually make a character and get into the story mode, the same problem occurs whenever i walk into a new area/room, or when new monsters or NPCs come on screen.
    My computer is more than capable of running the program, and directX is installed, so I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this.
    I can't get on the official PSU forums to ask, nor does the Sega support ever respond to my questions, so hopefully you guys can help me.
    Thanks, in advance.

Is your directx the one that came with the CD? Try installing an updated version of directx. That could be the issue.

I loaded the directX from the disc, and even downloaded DX9.0 (still running off XP), and the problem persists. any other ideas?
    I done handcuffed lightning