Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Oh my, I suppose it's no surprise that it was an Episode 3 discussion that finally got me to dust off my account here. However, that it was a topic created by Deadbeard, that comes as a surprise. ;]

I was the type of player who was happy to team up against coms. I never got the knack for 1vs1, and I rarely did those. (All in all I would have to say that, especially in 1vs1, winning tended to make me feel bad for the opponent, and losing... heh, I probably wasn't the most elegant loser in the game. At least I knew myself well enough to avoid getting in those situations, then.)
    But on (maybe too) rare occasion, I would find myself in 2vs2 battles, and those were generally a lot of fun. Regardless of whether the match was won or lost.
    Though I was usually around a small group of players, I never had a real team battle partner, and as such, my team decks were just (hopefully) balanced decks, always with protection and defender cards, and a varied selection of other defence cards. Although, sometimes I would try goofy team decks for fun, like when Nadia told me to make a Guil Shark deck for a certain match. Usually, I would just use decks that did not rely on anything from my partner's deck (except defence cards, naturally).
    Either it's the years between my last matches, or the fact that I played too few, but there's no many names that jump out as 'trouble', to play against. I don't recall, though, ever winning a match from Joana.
    I do remember it was always fun to play against Star, because she was always just as upbeat, and cheerful, both after a win or a loss. (Yes, there were plenty of players who were no sore losers like I could be. Don't be offended for not getting a mentioning. But I clearly remember Star's cheery disposition even now).

Bad luck was still a factor in 2vs2, but I agree with all of you that it was a much smaller factor than with 1vs1. In fact, I probably lost games against the com too, after a badly timed 1-1 roll, go figure. (But at least, some human players were courteous enough to give an opponent another chance, if they rolled 1-1. I think I even saw you, Deadbeard, give that courtesy to Angel(? I forgot her charcater's name), an EU God. After she rolled 1-1, you said you wouldn't do anything in your turn, and not take advantage of her bad roll.)
    Bad shuffles could hurt as well, especially early on, on small maps, when you really ought to set some cards, instead of just running from the opponent a few turns. But lost battles that were really due to catastrophic shuffles, must have been rare for everyone.
    The biggest luck factor would have to have been me, in a way. Depending on how much attention I focused on the battle, I could be my own worst enemy. I'm unlikely to ever forget the time a 'carefully planned' deck was about to pay off, and I used legacy to be able to set a Crimson Assassin near the Hero opponent. But what I ended up doing, was using legacy, and chatting with my partner while wondering in which square to set the Crimson, until my time expired and nothing was set at all. (Fortunately, Jo was able to use a rampaging attack on the spamming Hero opponent, which prevented me from losing in the dumbest way possible). Ah, I just grab every opportunity I can, to tell that anecdote

I didn't have a favourite Hero or Arkz, but I think I felt most secure with pretty basic Kranz, and Creinu decks. Sometimes it was fun to make decks to try to get the most out of some character's peculiarities. Like having suicidal creatures with Rio, or boosting Exp for Viviana. In my case, those were rarely good team decks, though. Too quirky, too dependant of certain assist cards or chains of events. It was also fun to have Stella deck and shout 'Nyah', a lot.

I think it was Nadia who coined the phrase "synchronized decks", and getting pitted against that, with a random partner, certainly put you at a disadvantage. It's hard to tell how much of that disadvantage came from the decks, or from the fact the opponents knew each other much better than you and a random other person did. Knowing your partner well enough that you don't have to debate each move (as in asking what def cards they had in hand, what they planned to set, or where, to focus attacks on what, etc.), certainly helped. But you hardly could demand that players who enjoyed working together, never play together.

I've been talking about Episode 3 a few times, in PSU, recently. And it's nice to be able to spew some thoughts about it among people who do remember the game.
    Speaking of PSU, and Nadia, and I apologise for going off topic here.. A few times I asked some unknown people, with slightly familiar names in PSU, (I think I asked a certain Alouette a few times now), if they ever played PSO Episode 3, and if so, if they had a char named Nadia. So far I've had no luck. So, Deadbeard, do you know how she is and if she played PSU at some point?
    Hah, but that may be too personal, coming from someone you probably don't remember from Ep3 `-`

EP3 C.A.R.D. Battle King Deadbeard's Avatar

That certainly was an interesting post there, the more EP3 players the merrier I say. Though I don't remember exactly who you were in game, you sound like someone who knew how to hold his own, what was your characters name? I wonder how I could forget star? After hearing your description of her it reminded me of a lot of things, there was even a point in time where she was being trained by myself, but ultimately didn't go too far because she was in too much a rush for the advanced things without learning the basics first, and the overall training was a bit too much for her. But, her spirit and personality was indeed enough to keep you going through any situation indeed, and that's something that can't be ignored.

I've did that for a few people, seen them roll 1-1 and I would not attack them on my next roll, just skip it and let them go again, just mainly to keep people from getting discouraged and hating the game because of low rolls ect. Kranz was always a SC I hated to fight against, with his fixed range and EXP boost abilities, he could become a problem real fast if not dealt with. Crienu was a classic SC, boosting the longevity of all creatures in her possession is not something that can be ignored.

You know, the more I talk about this game, the more I loathe the fact that we can no longer go online and play anymore, such a waste of a game that, in my opinion, had infinite replay value and no real support from the developers. You never knew what to expect from match to match, that was part of the charm of the game, and there was basically a limitless combination of decks to experiment with here. They seriously need to consider remaking this game one day.

Hmm...Nadia said that did she? Well, there is no real arguing that statement at all, and I will tell you where the disadvantage comes from, and it's certainly not the decks itself, it's the fact you are going against two other players who are probably very experienced in playing with each other, and they know each other’s play styles like it's their job, and on your end it's the exact opposite. Ultimately, it's the player who makes the deck, the deck doesn't make the player.

Yeah, I talk to Nadia all the time, been partners every since the PSO days, won't ever change.

Heavy Battle Virtuaroid VR-Raiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeard View Post
    You know, the more I talk about this game, the more I loathe the fact that we can no longer go online and play anymore, such a waste of a game that, in my opinion, had infinite replay value and no real support from the developers. You never knew what to expect from match to match, that was part of the charm of the game, and there was basically a limitless combination of decks to experiment with here. They seriously need to consider remaking this game one day.
    agreed, i wish we could play again
    such a great game. I can admit I've been bored playing ep1 & 2 before, but Ep3 seemed like it would never get old. I loved the close matches, sitting on the edge my seat. Heart beat accelerating on my dice rolls, etc XD

T0m - please do remind us of your Ep3 name, I remember seeing you in these forums and knowing who your ep3 char was before but I forgot the name. wait...was it Dural?
    Last edited by VR-Raiden; Aug 31, 2008 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T0m View Post
    Oh my, I suppose it's no surprise that it was an Episode 3 discussion that finally got me to dust off my account here. However, that it was a topic created by Deadbeard, that comes as a surprise. ;]

I was the type of player who was happy to team up against coms. I never got the knack for 1vs1, and I rarely did those. (All in all I would have to say that, especially in 1vs1, winning tended to make me feel bad for the opponent, and losing... heh, I probably wasn't the most elegant loser in the game. At least I knew myself well enough to avoid getting in those situations, then.)
    But on (maybe too) rare occasion, I would find myself in 2vs2 battles, and those were generally a lot of fun. Regardless of whether the match was won or lost.
    Though I was usually around a small group of players, I never had a real team battle partner, and as such, my team decks were just (hopefully) balanced decks, always with protection and defender cards, and a varied selection of other defence cards. Although, sometimes I would try goofy team decks for fun, like when Nadia told me to make a Guil Shark deck for a certain match. Usually, I would just use decks that did not rely on anything from my partner's deck (except defence cards, naturally).
    Either it's the years between my last matches, or the fact that I played too few, but there's no many names that jump out as 'trouble', to play against. I don't recall, though, ever winning a match from Joana.
    I do remember it was always fun to play against Star, because she was always just as upbeat, and cheerful, both after a win or a loss. (Yes, there were plenty of players who were no sore losers like I could be. Don't be offended for not getting a mentioning. But I clearly remember Star's cheery disposition even now).

Bad luck was still a factor in 2vs2, but I agree with all of you that it was a much smaller factor than with 1vs1. In fact, I probably lost games against the com too, after a badly timed 1-1 roll, go figure. (But at least, some human players were courteous enough to give an opponent another chance, if they rolled 1-1. I think I even saw you, Deadbeard, give that courtesy to Angel(? I forgot her charcater's name), an EU God. After she rolled 1-1, you said you wouldn't do anything in your turn, and not take advantage of her bad roll.)
    Bad shuffles could hurt as well, especially early on, on small maps, when you really ought to set some cards, instead of just running from the opponent a few turns. But lost battles that were really due to catastrophic shuffles, must have been rare for everyone.
    The biggest luck factor would have to have been me, in a way. Depending on how much attention I focused on the battle, I could be my own worst enemy. I'm unlikely to ever forget the time a 'carefully planned' deck was about to pay off, and I used legacy to be able to set a Crimson Assassin near the Hero opponent. But what I ended up doing, was using legacy, and chatting with my partner while wondering in which square to set the Crimson, until my time expired and nothing was set at all. (Fortunately, Jo was able to use a rampaging attack on the spamming Hero opponent, which prevented me from losing in the dumbest way possible). Ah, I just grab every opportunity I can, to tell that anecdote

I didn't have a favourite Hero or Arkz, but I think I felt most secure with pretty basic Kranz, and Creinu decks. Sometimes it was fun to make decks to try to get the most out of some character's peculiarities. Like having suicidal creatures with Rio, or boosting Exp for Viviana. In my case, those were rarely good team decks, though. Too quirky, too dependant of certain assist cards or chains of events. It was also fun to have Stella deck and shout 'Nyah', a lot.

I think it was Nadia who coined the phrase "synchronized decks", and getting pitted against that, with a random partner, certainly put you at a disadvantage. It's hard to tell how much of that disadvantage came from the decks, or from the fact the opponents knew each other much better than you and a random other person did. Knowing your partner well enough that you don't have to debate each move (as in asking what def cards they had in hand, what they planned to set, or where, to focus attacks on what, etc.), certainly helped. But you hardly could demand that players who enjoyed working together, never play together.

I've been talking about Episode 3 a few times, in PSU, recently. And it's nice to be able to spew some thoughts about it among people who do remember the game.
    Speaking of PSU, and Nadia, and I apologise for going off topic here.. A few times I asked some unknown people, with slightly familiar names in PSU, (I think I asked a certain Alouette a few times now), if they ever played PSO Episode 3, and if so, if they had a char named Nadia. So far I've had no luck. So, Deadbeard, do you know how she is and if she played PSU at some point?
    Hah, but that may be too personal, coming from someone you probably don't remember from Ep3 `-`

Yeah, luck still played a big factor in 2v2 and I tried perfecting that method to always roll high. It's confusing it's right after the roll dice screen shows then it's a fraction of a second to get it right. But when you did you always rolled 6&6, it takes practice... But I loved 2v2, I don't see how players like ALUCARD played just 1v1. I remember me and link had so many team decks with Remy.... I want to boot up EP3 now, so much is missed. I play through it every once in awhile just to see Pollux, because her song by far one of the greatest songs I've every heard. I do remember Nadia, she was a tech based user, haven't seen her in awhile... Alot of vets showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozama View Post
    I tried perfecting that method to always roll high. It's confusing it's right after the roll dice screen shows then it's a fraction of a second to get it right. But when you did you always rolled 6&6, it takes practice...
    I'm sorry but...gah...so phony >_<

I know I'm switching back to the other topic but...seriously how can you know if you did it right? Maybe you rolled a 6-6 by being lucky and think you "did it right" because you saw you're desired result.

Ah, I think there was a time I had my PSO characters in my sig. I probably assumed it was still there, so I didn't even think about naming my Episode 3 character.
    My main's name was Rachel, a hunewearl. (And for a while, Rachel was almost an identicaly twin of Nadia's char.) Later I also was around, at times, with a char named Tom, but I rarely played with it.
    I was a bit late to the Episode 3 online party. One time, when I was very new, I asked someone where I could find Episode 3 players. And his answer was that I just had to jump back 6 months, to find any. Fortunately, that wasn't fully true, but I did arrive after the busiest days had already gone.

About the dice rolls, I have to side with VR. Because it certainly sounds like something where confirmation bias plays a part. (Each time you do get a 6-6, it clearly stands out, but none 6-6 rolls are dismissed, or don't even register. So the method would appear to work, even if it's really random chance). It would be very interesting though, if there was a reliable method for rolling 6-6, other than changing the option to only allow 6-6 rolls. Might be handy for another offline playthrough. So I'm interested to hear if you have more evidence for it. `-`

sry, Maddux&I arebetter

I'm sorry, guys, but you know Maddux and Joanna are way better than all of you together!
    T0m, sorry, I've reported all your posts. They are offensive D:
    I don't think Maddux is gonna post anything here, but if he does, he can tell you how nice our decks were XD
    You and -YOUR PARTNER NAME GOES HERE- were not a bad team, either

I miss ep3 so much... T.T
    Last edited by Far'uri; Sep 1, 2008 at 03:05 PM.

PSO Assassin

T0m - please do remind us of your Ep3 name, I remember seeing you in these forums and knowing who your ep3 char was before but I forgot the name. wait...was it Dural?
    impossible, because i'm DuRaL ^_^
    hey, i see some familar faces in this topic =)
    i also miss the good old times..

anyway, 2 or 3 weeks ago i had some battles online in ep3 on a japanese server (I guess i'm not allowed to tell the name?)
    a JP player and I played some 1vs1 battles and i was surprised how well it worked O_o
    almost every card we played worked fine and we experienced almost no bugs (at least no serious bugs)
    later i was told by a friend that the admin of that JP server is working on the server trying to improve ep3 gameplay.

the fact that the battles on the JP server were less bugged than those i usually have on US ships and the fact that the admin is actually trying to fix those bugs made me hope that one day we'll be able to enjoy this game again =)

i doubt Sega'd ever make a new PSO ep3, so private servers are our only chance..

hey Dural XD sorry for the mix up, heh. you were a EU brown RAcast right? I remember playing with you later in ep3's lifespan i think.

That sounds promising, I would say more but we aren't allowed to discuss that here as far as i know :/
    Last edited by VR-Raiden; Sep 1, 2008 at 07:19 PM.

EP3 C.A.R.D. Battle King Deadbeard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cozama View Post
    Yeah, luck still played a big factor in 2v2 and I tried perfecting that method to always roll high. It's confusing it's right after the roll dice screen shows then it's a fraction of a second to get it right. But when you did you always rolled 6&6, it takes practice... But I loved 2v2, I don't see how players like ALUCARD played just 1v1. I remember me and link had so many team decks with Remy.... I want to boot up EP3 now, so much is missed. I play through it every once in awhile just to see Pollux, because her song by far one of the greatest songs I've every heard. I do remember Nadia, she was a tech based user, haven't seen her in awhile... Alot of vets showing up.
    I'm not saying luck played no part in the game, only a fool would say that, but, in no way was it a big factor in team play, ive explained this in many of my previous posts why I so strongly believe this. And, who would only play 1v1 in this game? That's one question I bet no one one the face of the earth has the answer for. Techs were something Nadia just messed around with from time to time, when it was time to really throw down, she would definitely use a melee hunter type.