Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 142122232425262734 ... LastLast

All Recent Sega games have been shit (major premise)
    Phantasy Star Zero is a Sega Game (minor premise)
    Phantasy Star Zero will be shit (conclusion)

SFS/Nth Gen Interactive Rayokarna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsro View Post

So let's see
    - Returns to PSO style like people have wanted
    - Better characters than PSU
    - Better story than PSU
    LOL this isn't fact at all. This is down to opinion. If you prefer PSO over PSU that's fine but to state your opinion as fact for a game that aint come out yet is stupid.

Your so driven for your fanboyism for PSO what your saying don't even make any sense.

The people chosen to be in charge of the characters and story are not speculation. They are known and based on their past proven records we can use deductive reasoning.

* All major games that Toshiyuki Kubooka has worked on has had likable characters. (major premise)
    * Toshiyuki Kubooka is doing character designs for Phantasy Star Zero. (minor premise)
    * Phantasy Star Zero will have likable characters. (conclusion)
    The creators may be fact, but just because they've got good track records (in your opinion), it doesn't mean that what they contribute to this game will follow suit. Don't get me wrong, I hope for the very best with this game, but without knowing anything about it as far as story or characterization goes, you can't guarantee that it'll be "better than PSU."

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I updated my post from this morning (the one with new info from the official site). It was pointed out to me that it lists the location of the game not as a generic planet but as the Earth and its moon.
    Last edited by EspioKaos; Sep 12, 2008 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    So I'm picking and choosing a bit here but here we go: Horribly generic? As in what? You've got a fair bit of customization in PSU from your head down. If anything, they went for an older Phantasy Star look for the characters. You don't have to be classic to do generic.
    I was talking more of the story characters in PSU since we only have story characters to compare so far. You have to admit that they weren't very enticing in PSU. Probably because they felt pretty damned unoriginal, especially compared to all games before it. I agree that the character customization in PSU is anything but generic and is quite good compared to similar titles in the MMORPG market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I wouldn't say less detailed. Very very different from what we've seen from past Phantasy Star games, but not any less detailed. But details and character designers are only half of the equation. If the story isn't good, players won't love the characters. I disagree that the target audience is broadened. If anything, the target age has been lowered. I stand by my previous 10,000 volted Booma post from before.
    I'm talking about the artwork. The shading for the characters' faces in PSO is well...actually there. There really is not much shading at all in their faces in PS0.

About the story - The story is going to be better than the first PSU. That's certain. Also THE iDOLMASTER hardly has a story and players cared so little about it that it's sequel threw out the story elements all together and still sold great. This shows that the characters themselves far outshined the story. This is also apparent in the Lunar series. Lunar is known for having a relatively straight forward story (Strive to become a Dragonmaster and save Luna!) and yet it's characters hold up the typical story well. Also you need to remember that Teru Arai is a very popular light novel writer in Japan. (Unless this "mystery novel writer" Teru Arai is different which I don't believe is the case but I'd love to be proved wrong so I can get the right perspective on him.) If I'm guessing the right guy then he is a light novel author that has made it into top sales rankings for light novels with his Room No.1301 novel.

The target audience is broadened in this post Monster Hunter world. Look at the sales for Phantasy Star Portable and look at the huge install base of the DS. Take the more popular PSO as the game to draw from. Add together the popularity of THE iDOLM@STER character designer and a popular light novel author. Online multiplayer. Best graphics on DS. Bam. Million seller. SEGA is going to go all out on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachief View Post
    but the point of using a weapon to cast magic was because the PA system forced them to have it equipped to a weapon to be used so i think the spell casting can be used without a weapon, hopefully
    Nothing to do about that but wait and see. With any luck, you can run around casting spells with your TP absorbing pistols equipped again

when will it come out I love the clothes!!!

I was talking more of the story characters in PSU since we only have story characters to compare so far. You have to admit that they weren't very enticing in PSU. Probably because they felt pretty damned unoriginal, especially compared to all games before it. I agree that the character customization in PSU is anything but generic and is quite good compared to similar titles in the MMORPG market.

I'm talking about the artwork. The shading for the characters' faces in PSO is well...actually there. There really is not much shading at all in their faces in PS0.

About the story - The story is going to be better than the first PSU. That's certain. Also THE iDOLMASTER hardly has a story and players cared so little about it that it's sequel threw out the story elements all together and still sold great. This shows that the characters themselves far outshined the story. This is also apparent in the Lunar series. Lunar is known for having a relatively straight forward story (Strive to become a Dragonmaster and save Luna!) and yet it's characters hold up the typical story well. Also you need to remember that Teru Arai is a very popular light novel writer in Japan. (Unless this "mystery novel writer" Teru Arai is different which I don't believe is the case but I'd love to be proved wrong so I can get the right perspective on him.) If I'm guessing the right guy then he is a light novel author that has made it into top sales rankings for light novels with his Room No.1301 novel.

The target audience is broadened in this post Monster Hunter world. Look at the sales for Phantasy Star Portable and look at the huge install base of the DS. Take the more popular PSO as the game to draw from. Add together the popularity of THE iDOLM@STER character designer and a popular light novel author. Online multiplayer. Best graphics on DS. Bam. Million seller. SEGA is going to go all out on this one.
    You're leaping around a lot and making a ton of unrelated conclusions.

We have no idea if the story will be better than PSU. Just because they got someone with experience to write the story doesn't mean they will be giving it their all. It doesn't even mean there has to be a wildly in-depth story. The plotter for Kingdom Hearts wrote the story for Smash Bros Brawl: Subspace Emissary. One is an actual plot and the other is a series of goofy cut scenes. Claiming PS0 will have a better story than PSU because the writer has written good stories before is a fine way to form an opinion, but it's in no way a fact.

Let's not forget that being a good writer of novellas doesn't necessarily mean you'll do a good job at writing a video game story. They're two completely different realms.

The whole Idolmaster character comparison is meaningless. Idolmaster isn't a role-playing game. It's a casual visual novel at best. It doesn't need to rely on character. A role-playing game generally does. What might be acceptable for an arcade game (which, let's face it, is popular solely for the cute/cheesecake factor) does not necessarily mean it will be acceptable for PS0.

Look, I'd love to see the game be a success. Personally, I've thought for a long time that a PSO style game on the DS would be a great idea. I'm looking forward to getting more information about it.

Regardless of that, though, apples =/= oranges. If you want to be excited because you think the people behind it are great creators, then go right ahead. But this is a different project than they've done before with a company that has an iffy-at-best track record in the past few years, so forgive us if we're all a little skeptical.

I'm always guilty of jumping around but did anyone notice the mag-like things the characters in the screen shots have?
    Last edited by Mike; Sep 12, 2008 at 10:23 PM.

Great, I'm going to drive myself nuts raising Sato and Rati again!

TOH, I sure hope Sato and Rati (and bhima >> hint hint) are in this. lol
    Life's a bitch and then you die.