Who is this guy again? Shadowpawn's Avatar

Default Google releases the G1 in New York. Open Source Software OS Android Cell Phone

I read about in the paper (if you can call the Metro that >_> ), it was released for about $170 dollars and come with a full HTML rendering browser. As mentioned in the title the os android is completely open source, that means you can customize the os anyway you wish without having to worry about violating some company terms of service or whatnot.

However some blogs state that the G1 may not be as open as we think and may be inferior to the iPhone.

Other links to G1 news:
    http://www.usnews.com/blogs/daves-do...le-itunes.html

http://news.techwhack.com/8784-google-g1-limits

http://www.minyanville.com/articles/.../index/a/19158

Vid:

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

The G1 comes with the Amazon (AMZN) MP3 music store, and the iPhone plugs users into iTunes. (Good taste optional.) The G1 has a proprietary headphone plug, while the iPhone uses a standard 3.5mm stereo jack, should you care about such things.
    That stinks that with the better DRM free/no copy protect music store you get the inferior headphone jack and the headaches that go along with that and getting the adapter, plus it adds some bulk and probably a piece sticking out as well that ruins the lines and smoothness.

Here's a link within your 1st blog link with several other links:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...roid-phon.html

Looks like an alternative/replacement to the T-Mobile sidekick as is, but with the trackball, the first things you're probably going to see out of the open sourcing is what, 1970's vid-games like asteroids and centipede?!

Like one said, its a good first effort, with more to come from this Google venture of "android" phones. And if anyone puts out a killer app within that open source OS, then the tech head kids will rush out to get it.

Supreme Pantless Commander SpikeOtacon's Avatar

For their first hardware effort I'll let some issues slide. There is room for improvement, and Google should take the opportunity to learn why people are displeased with G1 and work on making it the best it can be.

Of course trying to live up to the iPhone is gonna be tough. But Google is no pushover company and I doubt they're going to tuck their tail between their legs and retire from the phone business because their first attempt wasn't as smashing a success as the iPhone was.

She's a summer love in the spring, fall and winter

A google phone? Sweet. Too bad I'll only use phones that flip. :/

I agree with Spike. It's not perfect or anything wonderful, but Google will only improve.

PSO2: Kylie.HUnewearl.Sh02

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

I'm not entirely sure they're going to recoup their development and investments into this platform via the way they do it through their search engine - advertising, as they're stating is their mission plan.

But, they do have a recipe for success and are taking a risk by putting in a lot of money that won't come back "into black" for a long time.

Funny they're not touting a Google earth as basically a built in GPS - then expand upon that adding features phone specific for easier use as a GPS.