Default "...from behind!" - Clothes and Parts Graphics in the PSU Item Database

Note: The images presented in this post are not meant to be actual submissions to the PSO-World PSU Item Database. They are meant to serve as examples relative to issues addressed in this post.

Hello!

Why aren't there more pictures in the PSU Item Database of Clothes and Parts from angles different than the standard?

First off, I'd like to address the current graphics of most C&P. All characters face off to the side at about a 45-degree angle while standing and not walking or running. Most of the graphics of C&P are on a model facing forward. To me, this puts unneeded focus on the model. What we're seeing a lot of is not actually the complete "front" of a C/P. Compare the following two pictures of a White X D Yellow Braves Jacket:

Even if the C/P is facing forward, other important attributes of it are not sufficiently shown: the gloves, sides, and back.

Based on this, what if someone captured multiple angles of C&P and edited them into a single graphic?

While working on the above four-angle graphic, I noticed it might even be reasonable to make an eight-angle graphic due to the model's arms getting in the way of some of the side details.

One point this post brings up is "How far is too far?". We also know that most tops, Torso Parts, and other C&P that cover the same areas as tops and Torsos have a different appearance when a Line Shield is not equipped.

I also think it would be interesting to have the text on different C&P in the PSU Item Database (such as when a female CAST equips a Line Shield and an Elaciel Torso at the same time, the words "GUARDIAN ANGEL" appear on her chest).

Would multiple-angle graphics be rejected after submission to the PSU Item Database? What do you think of these suggestions? : D

Quote Originally Posted by Googlebonker View Post
    Why aren't there more pictures in the PSU Item Database of Clothes and Parts from angles different than the standard?
    Mostly because it is a lot of work and no one has ever expressed any interest in doing it. When AotI came out, there were ~1500-1800 new clothing screenshots to upload. The picture-taking and uploading process was a fairly miserable job that took several weeks. Since no one ever gave us any feedback on the clothing pictures, there was no motivation to upload versions that included additional angles.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

I don't see the point of having multiple angles, when you could just ask someone in game if they have the clothes. They mostly look the same from most angles anyways.

Well, hurray for you! : D

I happen to enjoy working with graphics! I can work with them for HOURS at a time! (Yes, I've done that before.) Don't ask me why. O_O lol For some reason, I like to.

I've got more questions, though.

To me, it would be MUCH better to have an animated GIF image to show off the multiple angles of an outfit. You mentioned in another thread that "animated gifs don't work too well" for the PSU Item Database. Is that because most GIF files of PSU images look like this,

or is it because animated GIF files don't upload correctly by using the Item Database submission form? I have a program that can save GIFs in a higher quality (although the file size is larger) like this:

Here's what I would submit for the female White X D Yellow Braves Jacket. Note that I could extend the duration of each frame if you think that's too fast. Also, note that this image is 420 KB (424KB on disk).

If I can't do animated GIFs for the Item Database, then would you rather have JPEG or PNG files submitted? I'm also aware from that other thread that image size is restricted to 1800 x 1800.

(whiney like a little kid) I wanna help! X3 lol

The animated GIF is a great idea actually. When i'm at work (and i know some others might do this too) i like to view clothes to see what would look good on my character and maybe see how the back of the character looks like, since most i see were frontals.
    I don't know how many times i've baught clothes or parts where on pso-world they looked to go great together but once seeing the backs, they looked horrible.

Now this gives me something which i'm wondering if anyone can do (or if anyone has done in the past):
    Making a program file which looks just like the changing room and has all the clothes availiable to "try on" including things like the clothier items. (it'll be really hard to do and i think i've seen a character creation pc program somewhere that was like this.)
    In the beginning there was chaos. Our victory brought order to the land, prosperity to mankind. Now that order is threatened. The sacred walls of Olympus have been breached. Alas in the end, he will suffer. In the end we will triumph. In the end there will be only chaos.
    God of War III

nyoro_n of PSU official forums :P sup?

PS2/PC: Kalyna / Confused Caseal / Chibi Chibi / Konata Izumi

360: Kalyna / Confused Caseal / ?? / ??
    gt: nyoronpsu

Animated gifs are discouraged because of the technical limitations of the graphics library on our server. When the gifs are processed, the results are far from ideal. As such, we encourage multi-panel JPEGs or PNGs.

If anyone wants to help out by providing better clothing pictures, that'd be cool. Anything of decent quality will be uploaded.

Thank you for all that information, Ryna! You all can probably expect submissions from me soon! XD

there are systems to turn a photographed item for "360 degrees" using 16 snapshots.
    the only site (-url) i can come up with right now is alternate.de

click here

so, it would be possible, but it's some piece of work to take all those snaps and upload them.
    concerning alternate.de, they only have that feature for a guestimated 1% of their whole offer, so go figure.
    「愛と空の女王様」を言でもいい。 We are Heroes. This is what we do!