Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Official Pokemon Platinum thread

Long ago when Diamond/Pearl was released, there was a huge thread with over 1000 posts in it and multiple friend codes... but that was a good while ago, so since the new Platinum version is now out, I thought I would make a new thread.

Discuss anything related to the game here (and use spoilers boxes/tags when appropriate!)

Posting your friend code would be nice too along with your name on the game.
    My friend code is 3781-4908-7364
    Character name: K

How to obtain your Friend Code for Pokemon Platinum:
    Spoiler!

Once you have your Pal Pad, you can connect to the Wifi-connection. When you do so, you will be given your Friend Code.
    If you are trying to play with a friend, be sure to have their friend code AND they have yours as well (like most DS/Wii games...)

Platinum has a large variety of changes from Diamond and Pearl.
    You may find them here: http://www.serebii.net/platinum/changes.shtml
    (may contain spoilers!)

By the way, Serebii is a great place for Pokemon statistics and information if you haven't already been there.

I have picked Chimchar as my starter (just as I had on Pearl). I haven't gotten too far yet, still playing PSOBB on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Genoa; Mar 23, 2009 at 05:45 AM.

Hmm, looks like kind of a neat update. I always thought Pearl seemed very incomplete and rushed--there were so many things I had always expected them to do with a DS version that they simply didn't even take a stab at, like more traditionally 3D, N64-era graphics, waaaay better use of the touch screen (or at least a better two-screen layout that would constantly display information that used to have to be accessed through annoying menus), faster and more interesting gameplay, etc. While Platinum looks like a pretty standard "3rd game of the generation" Pokemon update, I do wish this one had come out back then instead of the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfCoffee View Post
    N64-era graphics
    DS 3d graphics...

Hmm...

Most DS 3d games look like garbage. I'd rather have sprites, to be honest. The real thing that bugs me is they are still using midis for the Pokemon cries. I doubt it would be a lot of effort to get improved cries into the game.

I've been enjoying myself in Platinum. I've decided to start with the starter I had in Diamond (Turtwig), and I have been enjoying myself thus far. Pokemon is a pretty chill RPG. I'll get my Pal Pad info later.

Dead fad. I think a lot of PSOWers overplayed D/P and don't really want to work so long to build their awesome teams again. We did have a great time though. The IRC channel in particular all played together. I know I wouldn't want to do all that work again though.

Sorry to be a buzz kill, but I don't think Plat will get as warm a reception as D/P had... You may get some people who want to battle you with their D/P though!
    You mean why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? WUH-HUH!

Im gonna hop on this soon as I have some free cash. I never finished EV training my team and this would be a good opportunity to finish it.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

Need some money and then I'm gonna grab this. I'll end up with all three starters anyway, but I always start with the grass type. Turtwig rawks.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

I still haven't gotten too far yet. I have four badges.
    Working on another Buneary because I realized later I totally screwed my first one <_> Started getting it all worked up and taught it some moves... then I realized it's ability was KLUTZ! So I had to go get a new one :<

Got my female Combee though ;D loving my naughty Vespiquen.
    I've kind of been ignoring my Monferno xD my Buneary and Vespiquen are higher leveled.
    I'm dying to get Lopunny already D: I've been using the Soothe Bell and getting massages but she still refuses to grow up >_<

Fun little card I made from this site: http://www.mapletowers.com/trainercards/ugenerator.php

I still only have 5 badges at the moment, that's just my dream team ;D
    That is really my friend code though,
    and I do have the Lopunny and Vespiquen

I didn't know the game took you through every region O_o

I might just pick this up, despite the ridiculously unimaginative 4th generation of monsters.

ooooooh uh, no it doesn't take you through all regions D: that's just a trainer card generator.
    That... would be epic though :/

It's still very good in my opinion, worth a try.
    I remember after R/B/Y version, I stopped playing pokemon because it wasn't really the "cool" thing anymore.
    Then I heard they were making Leafgreen and Firered for GBA, thought it would be neat to play the classics remade.
    Then... I ended up wanting to try the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald ones to help my dex on Firered/Leafgreen...
    Then... I went and played Gold/Silver/Crystal on Roms...
    Then... I heard Diamond/Pearl were coming out and you could trade your GBA pokemon up to it
    Then... I just completely became obsessed with pokemon all over again. D:

There's a lot more to this game than meets the eye ;o (excuse the quality, I did it on phone)
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Genoa; Mar 28, 2009 at 04:57 AM.