Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Customary AWESOME Title Solstis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artea View Post
    Elaborate. The same point is pretty much stretched through the entire post.

If your job is to keep a product alive or make a profit, then you're obligated to do what is necessary to keep it there.

He has a point when it comes to examples such as a small fraction of the player base whining about balancing this and that, but that's really about it. Updates/Patches/Bug fixes is almost always going to = profit.

Kodia never said that the majority of developers won't release patches or content. He said that we, as consumers, are not entitled to them. We expect them and reward developers with continued business when we do get patches/updates, but the company is not under a moral imperative to deliver content.

Your and beatrixx's points are interesting and correct, but irrelevant in regards to the original post.

Furthermore, a company will release patches and updates if this includes a sizeable chance to make a substantial profit that is worth the effort. A company will release patches and content updates if this will cause people to buy more of the game, or another game that this company has made.
    Huh. Yes, wage that battle against reading whole posts, you soldiers of truth you.
    Last edited by Solstis; May 14, 2009 at 11:55 AM.

Kodia never said that the majority of developers won't release patches or content.
    Who said he did?

Huh. Yes, wage that battle against reading whole posts, you soldiers of truth you.
    So, in other words, stating the obvious about obligations to make profit make the rest of the statements valid? That's the point. He pretty much just owned himself in his own rant. I don't think anyone here feels that they are entitled to content because they pay or paid for a game (unless they are an idiot).

Can you honestly say that a company doesn't have an obligation to fix a product which has a bug that causes almost it's entire playerbase to leave? (PSO)

Whether they decide to ignore it, or work on another project is irrelevant.

Customary AWESOME Title Solstis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artea View Post
    Can you honestly say that a company doesn't have an obligation to fix a product which has a bug that causes almost it's entire playerbase to leave? (PSO)
    Apparently not. (PSU)

If they managed to repeat the exact same mistakes with a franchise re-boot, then, no, they decided that they couldn't be bothered.

Companies have obligations to their stockholders. It would be *nice* if ST treated its products with more care, but they're apparently doing a tolerable enough of a job generating revenue that they haven't been canned.

Stardock is an example of a company that does things right. It serves them well, and they tend to have a good dialogue with players. That is how they operate. ST operates by exploiting our nostalgia. We still buy the crappy games, so, well, we're idiots.

If you are fool enough to buy into Sonic Team they deserve what falls on them.

I think this is a matter of how you view your own opinions. Some people believe that their opinions are the absolute truth, but I don't. I'd only want a patch because of my opinion that it would improve the game. Like, I think more people would play and/or purchase RE5 Versus more if they took off that stupid last place bonus and did away with the PVP on Slayers and Team Slayers. I don't think Capcom has to do anything though.

PSO2: Kylie.HUnewearl.Sh02

While the majority of things that the community for a game will come up with are completely moronic and unbalanced in nature ("my class should be able to counter others because it's what I picked"), there are a couple gems that will come through every eighty million or so posts that will, at the very least, get someone on the development team somewhere (even if it happens to be the resident coffee fetcher) to potentially look at the current design at a new angle.

Personally, I think you should go post this on Blizzard's forums. It'll probably get stickied.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Feel free to copypasta/link it. I don't play any Blizzard games at the moment and don't go to their forums.

so basically you're saying no game developer (or some other company) has to do anything they don't want to do? Well..yeah..no one does.

Even if you pay a monthly fee for a game they don't really have to give you anything for it. They even did a little of that with PSU, instead of real updates they just unlocked some stuff on a disc you already bought. Thats also why I've cancelled my account 9 times since release.