Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Other MMOs

So are you guys drawn more towards the aspect of PvE or PvP in the MMOs you play?

Cuz, I like something that generally has both.
    The more things change... The more they stay the same...

PvP battlegrounds in World of Warcraft were okay, back when they actually yielded good results in the equipment you could get. Prior to the current expansion, for instance, they could provide gear that was very valuable to people, even in PvE, and almost required for some class/specs to be effective (e.g. Feral Druid). Ironically, this was fixed (especially in the case of Feral Druids, which people actually want now), and now PvP is more or less completely pointless, unless you just really enjoy it - since good end-game gear is so easy to get now.

Part of it was because it wasn't just mindless "kill guys with red names." There was an overall goal (in battlegrounds), that, unfortunately, typically devolved into "zerg rush their leader."

That being said, PvP in online RPGs of any sort, is typically a moronic, unenjoyable thing. Unfortunately, a lot of online RPGs (not just MMOs) tend to have PvE gameplay just become a grind in repetition, with no real variety or any new things that add to the experience, which is why we see a reliance on PvP nowadays... Because "no two fights will ever be the same." Also known as "the easy way out of making good PvE."

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

PvP really doesn't appeal to me in any way. I like it more when there's a huge group of buddies stomping on a huge monster or destroying a mob. Shit's intense, yo.

Off Topic: I still haven't done battle mode on PSO.

I've played plenty of MMOs over the years, from PSO-DC to FFXI. Most recently I played World of Warcraft. I played it so much it's just no fun anymore. I have a Draenie Shaman(Dragonblight), Undead Rogue(Lightbringer), Human Priest(Cenarius) who are 80 with various Naxx10/25, gear and my Shaman was once purely Arena. I also have a hand full of BG twinks, my Orc Hunter, Runswithlion is my favorite of them. I gave up World of Warcraft because the 2-4 hour long raids and steadily increasing subscription cost.

I'd like to try other MMOs like Warhammer and Aion, but neither my laptop, nor my desktop aren't anywhere near par to even run the games at their minimum requirements. However, I'm most looking forward to FFXIV, I'm going to need to start skrimping and saving for a new laptop so I can play it when it launches.
    Last edited by The_Pew; Jul 4, 2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: @#&$ you grammar!

i would get into Warhammer but i was kinda disappointed in the fact that Chaos is only Tzeentch (i want Slaanesh dammit). And besides, I like 40k better...and my pc wont run it Anyway, Funcom's new MMO looks interesting. I forget what its called "The Secret World". OH, and Anarchy Online is getting a graphic overhaul so i guess i'll have to stick with that for my SciFi MMO fix
    Last edited by Omega_Weltall; Jul 4, 2009 at 02:49 AM. Reason: just remembered Funcom's new MMO

lets see, eve online, entropia universe this is a very scifi rpg.... however i dought you would play this one..........., vanguard, eqoa.
    id really like an mmo like pso were you run around a massive open world, dodge attacks manually and move around in active combat, not clicking on ability icons or using macros.

ow and bethadesa is supposedly working on a fallout mmo. wich i think if done right will be very fun!
    Last edited by goldbrease; Jul 4, 2009 at 01:44 PM.
    PSU characters:
    Goldbrease human lv:150 HU:10 RA:5 FF:20 FI:20

Yeah I was thinking about checking out WarHammer as well. But heard all it centered around was just queing up for PvP.

And as for the Fallout 3 MMO thing yeah. Bethesda just fired the company that was supposedly working on it, because they were taking to long to produce results, so they handed it to someone else from what I understand. So hopefully it sees the light of day.

And I haven't heard anything on FFXIV? So I might have to look that up to day before fireworks.
    The more things change... The more they stay the same...

Quote Originally Posted by DB View Post
    Yeah I was thinking about checking out WarHammer as well. But heard all it centered around was just queing up for PvP.

And as for the Fallout 3 MMO thing yeah. Bethesda just fired the company that was supposedly working on it, because they were taking to long to produce results, so they handed it to someone else from what I understand. So hopefully it sees the light of day.

And I haven't heard anything on FFXIV? So I might have to look that up to day before fireworks.
    There's not much that we know about Final Fantasy XIV yet... Here's basically the extent that has been announced and is gameplay-relevant:

It takes place in Eorzea, which is a region in a world (that has yet to get an official English name).

Character races will be similar, but not identical, to those found in Final Fantasy XI - so that people transferring over could make a very similar character to what they had previously.

The combat system is supposed to be very strategic for the purposes of everyday fights (and by extension, not-so-common fights as well) - to the extent that if you're not planning out the battle and making tactical decisions, you will lose.

Throughout the entirety of the game's length, there will be battles available for solo play, small parties, and large groups.

There will be a Job System, but it won't be what we're used to from Final Fantasy XI; it will be something very different. Likewise, choice of weaponry will have a key role in character development. There will not be "experience points," and the presence of "levels" has not been confirmed.

And on top of all of this, it's been confirmed that part of the trailer is actual in-engine footage: Specifically, the battle on the boat.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

I can't find the joystick article, but i don't think it said they fired the company, i think it said they put up a massive hiring campaign to get more programmers and designers to develop the mmo faster.
    PSU characters:
    Goldbrease human lv:150 HU:10 RA:5 FF:20 FI:20

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    There will be a Job System, but it won't be what we're used to from Final Fantasy XI; it will be something very different. Likewise, choice of weaponry will have a key role in character development. There will not be "experience points," and the presence of "levels" has not been confirmed.
    Huh? No traditional levels... *makes mental note to keep an eye on*
    Coming Soon!