Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PS0 isn't so...

Question PS0 isn't so...

So looking through this forum I can see a lot of people who actually aren't too happy with the release of this game, calling it a cheap knockoff with lack of content and poor graphics and a weak storyline, etc. While of course, they're entitled to their opinion, and they may have a few points in their arguements I can say whole-heartedly that I'm looking forward to the game. Not because I'm expecting a stand alone game that was as deep and visually pleasing as PSO and PSOBB, its because I want a change of pace from the recent PS releases. I want a handheld game where I can talk to people and go on adventures around the world like you could in the good old days, no matter how short it may last.
    I want to make friends and look around and explore the different regions instead of rushing through with people who are obsessed with S-Rank missions and 3 minutes 42 seconds run-throughs. In PSU and PSP you couldn't do that. It was entirely mission based, but from what I saw in PS0 its gameplay is virtually identical to PSO.
    I want it for the friendship and open-endedness, not the graphics and capabilities and spinning gadgets that a 360 or a PS3 game might have. Feel free to add to this or oppose.
    In Soviet Russia, rappies hunt YOU!
    PSZ: Tooth F/C: 0861 3356 1722
    *PM me if you add me, please!*

ps0 is a lot more awkward and silent than the old days unless you play with people on your friends code list which is something i never really got into and as you can see in this section it is primarily made up of news on ps0 and not the actual community playing the game together. most who have posted here are people who are anticipating the game before they get it. after they get it they tend to vanish and never return but every now and then people who do own the game pop in and praise the game before quickly leaving. i think this is more for people who want to play offline while away from home or through lan with friends casually. the game does have some positives and i got it for some of the same reasons you say above but for me they were just excuses and false rationalization for a bad decision i knew deep down inside.

i liked pso for the community first and foremost or id never have played it. i dont play offline. i also like the trading just as much as the leveling. i like the fun monsters and everything else about pso. sure im a lot more picky and negative than most people but that's just how i am and i dont like to backtrack and play things that dont do anything better than past games and in that regard i dont think there is one thing besides dodging in ps0 worth talking about when compared to pso as far back as on the dc even. photon arts pretty much replace normal weapon fire modes in ps0 completely so it's not really a benefit.

to put it simply it's a DS game. i think the DS is garbage so this DS game didnt change that one bit even though i wanted it to which was unrealistic. no i dont think if you have access to psobb that you should ever even consider playing this over that not in a long shot. there is nothing at all besides a different art style and limitations in ps0 when compared to psobb.

the story is like 3 pages worth of text. it basically doesnt have a story and from the pictures during the story i could tell it was a retarded story.

it does have some nice leveling maps to grind away at. i really liked the new version of the mines but the weapons are really crap so it ruins even that for me. if you like playing in the forest in pso with basic low level weapons then youll like this but if you want more you have to go with games on home console and computer.

blah i typed too much
    Last edited by deso123; Aug 9, 2009 at 11:36 AM.

Well it is true that this game won't be comparable to the older games, but the point of the game is to revisit PSO in a strange way. Even if the friend code system impedes on this, I think I'll still enjoy the game. I personally am a casual gamer so I really enjoy stuff like this. Nintendo appeals to me. However, for a more hardcore gamer it wouldn't be in their best interest to buy a DS (as you said) or a game for one. It was more designed to be for people who don't really play games, especially the DSi. Nintendo hasn't really shown any games for the system that would appeal to a serious gamer. At least not any that I can think of at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by deso123 View Post
    ps0 is a lot more awkward and silent than the old days unless you play with people on your friends code list which is something i never really got into and as you can see in this section it is primarily made up of news on ps0 and not the actual community playing the game together. most who have posted here are people who are anticipating the game before they get it. after they get it they tend to vanish and never return but every now and then people who do own the game pop in and praise the game before quickly leaving. i think this is more for people who want to play offline while away from home or through lan with friends casually. the game does have some positives and i got it for some of the same reasons you say above but for me they were just excuses and false rationalization for a bad decision i knew deep down inside.

i liked pso for the community first and foremost or id never have played it. i dont play offline. i also like the trading just as much as the leveling. i like the fun monsters and everything else about pso. sure im a lot more picky and negative than most people but that's just how i am and i dont like to backtrack and play things that dont do anything better than past games and in that regard i dont think there is one thing besides dodging in ps0 worth talking about when compared to pso as far back as on the dc even. photon arts pretty much replace normal weapon fire modes in ps0 completely so it's not really a benefit.

to put it simply it's a DS game. i think the DS is garbage so this DS game didnt change that one bit even though i wanted it to which was unrealistic. no i dont think if you have access to psobb that you should ever even consider playing this over that not in a long shot. there is nothing at all besides a different art style and limitations in ps0 when compared to psobb.

the story is like 3 pages worth of text. it basically doesnt have a story and from the pictures during the story i could tell it was a retarded story.

it does have some nice leveling maps to grind away at. i really liked the new version of the mines but the weapons are really crap so it ruins even that for me. if you like playing in the forest in pso with basic low level weapons then youll like this but if you want more you have to go with games on home console and computer.

blah i typed too much
    Holy hell, apart from the "DS is garbage" statement you actually made an intelligent, snark-less post that weighed the good and bad of a game you don't find perfect but are willing to acknowledge its pros.

I congratulate you, thank you, and will stop posting "call-outs" in your direction.

On topic, yes, for the same reason as the OP, im looking forward to this game alot. It helps that I already have 2 friends that I know will be down for Co-op, and I can probably count on a few more.

Honestly, ORPG's are all virtually identical (although PSO has always had a little more flavor than others in my opinion). Its all about character build, class, and loot collection. The thing that makes me keep on buying the same type of game is the Co-op. Dungeon siege, Diablo, Sacred, Titan Quest, PSO, PSU, you name it, chances are I bought it mainly because I knew my friends would. And without that grab, those games wouldn't be purchases for me.

With exception to 1st and 3rd person shooters (which themselves are following a "RPG element" trend) the ORPG/MMORPG is unrivaled in terms of Co-Op capabilities. Wether its helping your friend beat that quest, trading for a rare youve wanted since the release, or just kicking back in a lobby, the thing about these games is that your sense of accomplishment is increased tenfold because your not doing this alone, your part of a team.

So although I do look forward to the new aspects of PSZ, even if they hadn't made a single improvement, just the fact that I can open my DS and play a quick Wi-Fi run with my cousin makes it a day one purchase.
    Illustrator! Pixel Artist!:

Niered, it seems as though we are the same type of gamer.
    I feel that unless a game is virtually unplayable, that its a matter of personal experience. I would love to co-op with you one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrelmonster View Post
    Niered, it seems as though we are the same type of gamer.
    I feel that unless a game is virtually unplayable, that its a matter of personal experience. I would love to co-op with you one day.
    Well, thats not entirely true, but it is mostly true. Ive played some truly awful games on the DS (Dungeon Explorer for instance) that only appealed to me because of the online co-op. I'm not the sort of jaded person that will defend them to their dying breath, but I will say that the reason I enjoy such games is because I have very simple criteria for them. So in the case of a game like Dungeon Explorer, was it worth the buy for me? Absolutely. The limited online still allowed me to make full use of my characters abilities as an asset to a team. Would I say its a good game? Absolutely not. Its got huge, glaring issues with the combat system, ugly as hell graphics, and a terrible plot.

So don't get me wrong. I, personally, like these types of games, but that doesnt mean everyone else can overlook the glaring issues with them.

I'll admit, sometimes I feel biased in my love for this game because the DS has been my favorite in this generation. My stack of games just grows and grows. >>; Anyways...

Yeah, I think this game is best played with friends. Story mode is over all too soon. There's some side quests that pad it out but I skipped most of em on my import play. I'll prolly sit down and do them all in the US version. The NPCs aren't as dumb as PSU's thankfully, and heal order is pretty handy, but they'll still get pummeled on boss fights, which I hate because fighting them alone is kind of stressful for me. I have been playing the Eternal Tower a lot though, because you can't play it in online mode, and the drops there are pretty good.

Random online mode is good for a quick fix when friends aren't available. You can't freely speak to players you get matched up with though, you can only use preset messages. All the parties I've been in are nice and quick to heal or attack, but they all tend to ignore alternate paths and rush straight to the boss. The maps aren't as big so I like exploring every single room. Plus there's always a chance to see rare enemies, even when backtracking through rooms you already cleared, which is pretty neat.

But playing with my friends? Definitely my favorite part. We can just chill out, draw silly stuff, exchange loot, and pummel enemies together. Early on we had a tough time, since multiplayer is definitely harder than story mode, but now we can look back on all those times the dragon and octopus trashed us and laugh about it, bwaha. And then experience it all over again when our pals waiting for the US and Euro releases jump in. =P

I'm not too critical about the graphics, cuz I'm the kind of person who can get immersed in a game that looks like this for a couple hundred hours. I think Phantasy Star Zero has a lot of nice touches though. Like in the second half of Ozette Wetland, the rain clears up and you can see a rainbow in the background. I just really like little things like that. I think the music is nice too. But yeah, I can't speak for story mode since I couldn't understand it. I can only read the item names. >>;

Now I have no idea how to end this! But yeah, my main character has 60 hours of playtime on them and that's what I've got to say about the game so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Niered View Post
    Well, thats not entirely true, but it is mostly true. Ive played some truly awful games on the DS (Dungeon Explorer for instance) that only appealed to me because of the online co-op. I'm not the sort of jaded person that will defend them to their dying breath, but I will say that the reason I enjoy such games is because I have very simple criteria for them. So in the case of a game like Dungeon Explorer, was it worth the buy for me? Absolutely. The limited online still allowed me to make full use of my characters abilities as an asset to a team. Would I say its a good game? Absolutely not. Its got huge, glaring issues with the combat system, ugly as hell graphics, and a terrible plot.

So don't get me wrong. I, personally, like these types of games, but that doesnt mean everyone else can overlook the glaring issues with them.
    True.

just remember that there are only a handful of rares to find. only a handful of mags and costumes to choose from. understand you will use many of the same weapons as everyone else because only a few are useful while everything else is severely underpowered. admittedly some of the later levels are kind of cool but i dont just play to grind for no reason at all. any rpg does that. its really a waste of time i think if you arent working towards anything. im probably getting too old to enjoy such simple things. its like me watching the transformers movies or scooby doo movies. i dont have such low standards to just turn off my brain and giggle. i did enjoy it for like a week and a half though. :/
    Last edited by deso123; Aug 9, 2009 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deso123 View Post
    just remember that there are only a handful of rares to find. only a handful of mags and costumes to choose from. understand you will use many of the same weapons as everyone else because only a few are useful while everything else is severely underpowered. admittedly some of the later levels are kind of cool but i dont just play to grind for no reason at all. any rpg does that. its really a waste of time i think if you arent working towards anything. im probably getting too old to enjoy such simple things. its like me watching the transformers movies or scooby doo movies. i dont have such low standards to just turn off my brain and giggle. i did enjoy it for like a week and a half though. :/
    This 22 year old DS-owner doesnt agree with most of that.

But yeah, transformers and scooby doo especially sucked.