Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PS0 isn't so...

Yasminkov Fanboy Waki Miko Syamemaru!'s Avatar

Bah! I don't even think this is a cheap PSO knock off at all. I mean whenever I go into a new game from a series I don't think "Oh this is gonna be just like this and just like that.". No. Thats a terrible way to get into a new game. Honestly I'm just goin into PSZ with a fresh mind. Yes I do acknowledge it does have PSO and PSU qualities but to me, it's something new. To me this will be a nice addition to my miniscule DS library seeing the only games I have for it are the Castlevania games (Order of Ecclesia being my favorite). So yea, to Kestral if you have your doubts about it rent the game online when it comes out. Or if your a true PS fan (kinda like me...in a way...sorta) buy it. If it sucks it sucks. If it's pure sex then it's pure sex. It really all depends on the person's taste.

@ deso123, Perhaps you are. If games are getting too unfun for you or if you think the industry is getting worse, you should probably drop out while you're ahead and let others have their fun. And the lack of content as you say will most definately not stop me from playing the game. As I said above, I don't really care about that, I care about occassionally going online for sessions with my friends.

Blue Burst/Zero FTW!

Eh, I'll never understand the PS0 haters.

The Artist Formerly Known As... Something Else SammaeltheDark's Avatar

I imported PS0 the day it came out in Japan and lean more towards it being a good game than it being garbage. These are my thoughts:

Cons-
    -Clunky control scheme. Mainly you can't open a menu while still moving around like PSO/PSU. For once I felt that it was a DS game that actually underutilized touch screen gimmicks.
    -The didn't fix the issue with PSO that there aren't enough customizable slots on your palette. In fact they made it worse by adding the roll and removing the quick menu that PSO had. I used to be pro at navigating that menu quickly to access stuff not on my custom palette.
    -Endless Tower is a blatant game-lengthening gimmick instead of adding more content to the game. I would never have had the time and patience to finish the Tower twice if it weren't for the DS's sleep mode. And worst is you have to clear it to advance to the higher difficulty levels.
    -The art style. A little too moe anime-ish for me, and that's ironic considering the character designer is kinda the reason I started watching anime in the first place (he also did the Lunar characters, and the cutscenes in Lunar made me venture into the "Japanimation" section at a local store and buy a certain fantasy series (Lodoss War) as my first anime). I prefer the Tron-like, day glow neon style of PSO & PSU.
    -The amount of content and graphics are limited by the DS hardware.

Pros-
    -The game is original. Seriously it has more original content to it than PSU.
    -The game actually does some technically impressive things for a DS.
    -The game improves on old systems in PSO. The combat roll, being able to see your mat usage, and being able to reset your mats are all hugely important.
    -Mags are back! Yay mags!
    -There are no other multiplayer dungeon crawlers available for the DS. At least, not of this scale.
    -The game has real, FREE online play. Even if everyone gets every drop out of boxes, at least the game also has the ability to trade items between players, unlike PSPo.
    Last edited by SammaeltheDark; Aug 10, 2009 at 12:25 PM.

Yasminkov Fanboy Waki Miko Syamemaru!'s Avatar

I admit that the graphics are what turned me off at first along with the art style. A little too kiddy-ish for me. But if The Classic Game Room HD has taught me one thing is that gameplay is everything. When I found out that guns have PAs and had PSO like qualities I was actually very happy. But a part of me wonders, would this have been better off on the PSP?

The Artist Formerly Known As... Something Else SammaeltheDark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Syamemaru! View Post
    But a part of me wonders, would this have been better off on the PSP?
    Well, yes. Almost any action game would inherently be better off on the PSP. But Sega already has PSPo, and it has done well enough to garner a sequel. They wanted to tap into the absurdly large Japanese DS market* in order to do so, they tried to make PSZ as enticing as they could despite the limitations of the platform: All the ties to PSO to bring back the hardcore followers,
    New cutesy anime style to bring in new DS owners, etc

*and Sega probably fully realizes that Monster Hunter does not exist for the DS, so there goes some prime competition

As for the DS being "garbage" I would categorically disagree. The DS is clearly the unmentioned winner of this generation of console gaming, in software, sales, and cross generation/gender appeal. It has sold more hardware units than all THREE current gen consoles put together (Wii,360,PS3). It's games library crushes all three consoles in nearly all categories, especially the RPG section which should be of particular interest to those who frequent this forum; as Phantasy Star is an RPG. The average DS user is 19 years old, this is not just a system for the pokemon crowd.It's software is unique to the system and unlike many Xbox/PS3/Wii titles it is not a 5 year old PC port. The market for games fundamentally disagrees that the DS is garbage and it does loudly with their money, energy and zeal spent on the system.

As for you being too old for the DS, the DS library featuring game styles reminiscent of those days when you did "giggle and have fun" should be in some ways gleefully nostalgic and at the same time comforting in its mechanisms. These are games that you know how to play, the turn based RPG, the side scrolling platformer and the old-school beat-um-up.It's gimmick, the touch screen is revolutionary in its simplicity and the main reason why the DS is the most popular system with a-typical demographics (girls/55+) and combined with its console partners has paved the way towards understanding of the gamer and wide-spread acceptance into the culture.The DS earned game of the year for E3 2009 with Scribblenauts the first handheld system in the history of gaming to earn this prestigious award, as well as earning E3s critic awards and about 3 others awards that are unnecessary to further make my point. Game developers, game critics and others who frequent the ivory tower of gaming do not agree the DS is garbage as its games can enter the same hall of games that Fallout 3 , Mass Effect , Rome Total War have frequented and hold its own.

As for PSZ on the DS it is if anything a refreshing act of contrition by Sega to say that PSU made many steps forward, but it might have made a few steps back and if PSZ is well received could very well inspire Sega to take a second look at the PSO system and how they could bring back some elements that made the game such a cult classic. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when game critics,game developers and the market at large disagrees with that opinion it would be wise to keep the wording diplomatic.

Any references will be provided on request.
    Last edited by Sayl; Aug 10, 2009 at 04:07 PM.

the ds is a compilation of flash games that should all cost $1.99. ps0 was one of the best ds games but in 2009 it's unrealistic to be worth playing other than to see the new and limited content.

Deso, I'd like to see more behind that post. What makes the DS a compilation of $1.99 flash games? And what keeps you from enjoying it? I personally find it and its collection of games (for the most part) to be more enjoyable than my Xbox 360, but as I said earlier, its because of the type of gamer that I am.
    In Soviet Russia, rappies hunt YOU!
    PSZ: Tooth F/C: 0861 3356 1722
    *PM me if you add me, please!*

I didn't like the character design of PSŲ at first, now I'm kind of used, it's a good change of art direction, and it fits the new world. The stage art though, I LOVE IT, even as pixelated as it is, I just love the stages, I just see such pixelated textures and imagine them in HD and with huge depth in 3D, and those characters shell shaded maintaining the art stile, I think it could make a great game in consoles, and the true successor of the series, not just a portable spin off.

And I don't think anyone can judge the story mode if you don't understand Japanese, technically simple? yes, poor story? how do you know this? it took me 20 hours with my first character, skipping all texts, to complete all the missions of the game (except that infinite tower one) and 10 hours skipping texts with my second character to complete the main story. And the story is different depending on your race.

Quote Originally Posted by deso123 View Post
    Photon arts pretty much replace normal weapon fire modes in ps0 completely so it's not really a benefit.
    You are very wrong, chain combos are necessary in order to deal more damage with the photon arts and charged techs, the main combat is still based on normal combos, in PSU melee combat is 90% photon art but in PSŲ is like 75% combo 25% PA.