Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PS0 isn't so...

Yasminkov Fanboy Waki Miko Syamemaru!'s Avatar

DS is actually more played than my PSP. I mean, the three Castlevanias that are for the DS are the top of my list along with Brain Age 1&2, Chrono Trigger, Phoenix Wright, Final Fantasy 3, and Final Fantasy 4. Thats just the tip of the iceburg and this is comin from someone who loves his VGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    As for the DS being "garbage" I would categorically disagree. The DS is clearly the unmentioned winner of this generation of console gaming, in software, sales, and cross generation/gender appeal. It has sold more hardware units than all THREE current gen consoles put together (Wii,360,PS3). It's games library crushes all three consoles in nearly all categories, especially the RPG section which should be of particular interest to those who frequent this forum; as Phantasy Star is an RPG. The average DS user is 19 years old, this is not just a system for the pokemon crowd.It's software is unique to the system and unlike many Xbox/PS3/Wii titles it is not a 5 year old PC port. The market for games fundamentally disagrees that the DS is garbage and it does loudly with their money, energy and zeal spent on the system.

As for you being too old for the DS, the DS library featuring game styles reminiscent of those days when you did "giggle and have fun" should be in some ways gleefully nostalgic and at the same time comforting in its mechanisms. These are games that you know how to play, the turn based RPG, the side scrolling platformer and the old-school beat-um-up.It's gimmick, the touch screen is revolutionary in its simplicity and the main reason why the DS is the most popular system with a-typical demographics (girls/55+) and combined with its console partners has paved the way towards understanding of the gamer and wide-spread acceptance into the culture.The DS earned game of the year for E3 2009 with Scribblenauts the first handheld system in the history of gaming to earn this prestigious award, as well as earning E3s critic awards and about 3 others awards that are unnecessary to further make my point. Game developers, game critics and others who frequent the ivory tower of gaming do not agree the DS is garbage as its games can enter the same hall of games that Fallout 3 , Mass Effect , Rome Total War have frequented and hold its own.

As for PSZ on the DS it is if anything a refreshing act of contrition by Sega to say that PSU made many steps forward, but it might have made a few steps back and if PSZ is well received could very well inspire Sega to take a second look at the PSO system and how they could bring back some elements that made the game such a cult classic. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when game critics,game developers and the market at large disagrees with that opinion it would be wise to keep the wording diplomatic.

Any references will be provided on request.
    Could you post some sources on the game ratings you are finding that are crushing the consoles, and the sales of the DS system, please?
    #1 International MAG+ TA Champion in PSU. Co-Founder of Royalz

DS sales really owns any other consoles, that's the worldwide sales since it was released btw, source: http://www.vgchartz.com/

As for good games, here's a few RPGs on top of my head:

Avalon Code
    Dragon Quest 4
    Dragon Quest 5
    Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruins
    Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
    Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
    Suikoden Tierkreis
    Final Fantasy Tactics A2
    Chrono Trigger
    Legacy of Ys: Books 1 & 2
    Children of Mana
    Blue Dragon Plus
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
    From the Abyss
    Golden Sun DS
    Lunar: Dragon Song
    Nostalgia
    Dragon Quest 9
    Phantasy Star Zero
    Rune Factory 2: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
    SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
    Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
    FF XII: Revenant Wings
    Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled
    Luminous Arc 1
    Luminous Arc 2
    My World My Way
    Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
    Heroes of Mana
    Front Mission
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
    Steal Princess
    Sands of Destruction

Feel free to add games to my list guys.

---
    Currently Playing: Phantasy Star IV

Wow nice...kinda disappointing the Wii is up there, but the DS sure looks promising. Hoping to get one soon, I love my PSP but the RPG selection for DS seems more vast.

Is Chrono Trigger a SNES port or is it a remake that makes more use of the hardware?
    #1 International MAG+ TA Champion in PSU. Co-Founder of Royalz

Yes, but Phantasy Star Portable sold more than Phantasy Star Zero, console sales in a casual market mean nothing.

hardware sales to date:
    Wii:51.98
    Xbox360:31.40
    PS3:23.08
    Total:106.46
    DS:107.67

Source:http://vgchartz.com/
    Others who have cited this site:BBC, Forbes, Fortune, The New York Post, Yahoo and The New York Times.

Number of games by console
    DS:2689
    Wii:1770
    Xbox360:1210
    PS3:790

By the time i wrote this, Arikado already had posted that as an image and it looks far better.As for the games list, I really did not need to post qualitative data, common sense could infer that the DS has more games as they are cheaper to produce and it is an older system.Anyone who tries their hand at a backwards compatibility argument (PS3 SKU emotion, Xbox, Gamecube) would have to contend with the elephant that was the GBA's library.

Quote Originally Posted by DreXxiN View Post
    Wow nice...kinda disappointing the Wii is up there, but the DS sure looks promising. Hoping to get one soon, I love my PSP but the RPG selection for DS seems more vast.

Is Chrono Trigger a SNES port or is it a remake that makes more use of the hardware?
    Chrono Trigger uses the touch screen and has some sort of beast arena for wifi this technically "utilizes" the system however it is no full remake like the Final Fantasies on DS.

Quote Originally Posted by landman View Post
    Yes, but Phantasy Star Portable sold more than Phantasy Star Zero, console sales in a casual market mean nothing.
    They mean something to someone; the casual market, who as proven do not agree the DS is "garbage" the whole point of this thread derailment. As for the DS not being suited to your needs as a gamer, those are perfectly valid, reasonable assumptions which would require no argument.As far as how much a game or console sells could very well have nothing to do with the quality of the game or console and more about the effort companies take in marketing the product. This conversation becomes more gamasutra esc fanboy troll war by the second!

Yasminkov Fanboy Waki Miko Syamemaru!'s Avatar

I like how the PS3 did horrible in sales globally. Even furthering my regret of buying one. But I still love it to bits. It has such pretty pictures. Also, I think I might get myself a DS Lite. My old "Clunkshell" model is gettin pretty torn up. Does anyone know the if the price for a DSLite is under 100 bucks?

double post
    Last edited by landman; Aug 11, 2009 at 06:05 PM.