Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shalo the Katana Warrior/Furrypaws Lacker ofTitle furrypaws's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akaimizu View Post
    Point taken. Kind of a shame the guns don't spam effects as well as they did in PSU. You can tell that while I've played this game, I've barely played a Ranger much, at this time. My main is a Ramar, which I've played for a good while; I just started a Ranger.
    Care to elaborate? I'm a little confused by the last statement.

But likewise, I've really only played my RAmar. I'm trying to get a FOmarl through the story mode just to see how broken they really are, and to see how Grants and Megid work. It's rather unfortunate that Rangers got the short end of the stick this time around though. I guess Forces finally get the chance they always wanted to shine; they've always sort of been left behind in the dust, especially after v2 for the Dreamcast. Hunters sort of are the same as they've always been, and as I perceive they always will be; smack them boomas, smack them hard.
    PSO
    Shalo the HUnewearl, GC, level 151

PSU
    Furrypaws the Beast, PC/PS2, Level 79, WT10

Sorry. Don't know what I posted there. I meant my main is a FOmar, my very late second is a RAmar.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypaws View Post
    To best explain, I'll start with the basics.

... Basically, if you fire across an area you can't walk across to an enemy on an area that you can walk across, gap block can occur. It doesn't occur if a flying enemy is in the gap, but I think it does occur if the flying enemy is on the other side of the gap.

This does not take place on bosses thankfully, although the only one I can think of that has a "gap" is the Octopus, and I know the "gapshot" doesn't occur there.
    Ah, thank you - this explained it nicely. I'll bet that it's somewhat easy to get mobs 'stuck' in/on such gaps? That they won't easily navigate around them to get to you?

If so, Sega's easybutton fix was this gapblock I'll bet - that way the player has to be 'vunerable' in order to feasibly attack the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Clunker View Post
    Ah, thank you - this explained it nicely. I'll bet that it's somewhat easy to get mobs 'stuck' in/on such gaps? That they won't easily navigate around them to get to you?

If so, Sega's easybutton fix was this gapblock I'll bet - that way the player has to be 'vunerable' in order to feasibly attack the target.
    Exactly, they couldnt be bothered to implement pathfinding AI. That was fine in PSO, because face it, the rooms were generally open enough that the enemies would be able to get to you no matter what. But if your going to put gaps in the rooms, then the enemies need a way to get around them. You cant honestly tell me that pathfinding AI routines are so hard to program that you didnt have the space to put them in, I'm an indie game dev, I can tell you from experience that basic pathfinding is not hard to implement.
    Illustrator! Pixel Artist!:

Ah, beg pardon, Niered.

Never said it was hard-to-implement (pathfinding), just that SEGA would likely have found this easier to implement. However, I do think you are completely right - they SHOULD have corrected the pathfinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Clunker View Post
    Ah, beg pardon, Niered.

Never said it was hard-to-implement (pathfinding), just that SEGA would likely have found this easier to implement. However, I do think you are completely right - they SHOULD have corrected the pathfinding.
    Oh no I wasnt ranting at you! Sorry that that was confusing, I was just ranting about sega, none of that was directed at you, sorry!

I was agreeing with you, there method was an easy fix, a patch to the flat tire if you will. What they should have done is just add pathfinding, but oh well.
    Illustrator! Pixel Artist!:

Shalo the Katana Warrior/Furrypaws Lacker ofTitle furrypaws's Avatar

I thought of another thing that makes Rangers (well, RAmar/l) worse.

Rangers get two buffs and Hunters get two buffs, which is fair I guess. But what doesn't make much sense is the fact that the HUmar and HUnewearl get Shifta and Deband while the RAmar and RAmarl get Jellen and Zalure. To cast Shifta and Deband, you can be anywhere. To cast Jellen and Zalure, you have to be near the enemies, which defeats the point of being a RANGEr. Goodness, Sega. You at least had that right since PSOGC.
    PSO
    Shalo the HUnewearl, GC, level 151

PSU
    Furrypaws the Beast, PC/PS2, Level 79, WT10

A Worshipped Godly FOmar Quintus_The_Force's Avatar
    With Red Ring Rico In Episode 1 Ultimate Mode End Credits Hittin The Bong In My Icon and Makin Love

Wow... good thing I read this thread! Not because I was gonna make a ranger, but because look at all these changes! Gap block? wtfffff.... I see why they did it kinda but man there is a better way to fix that like you guys said.

Hunters can cast Deband and Shifta now? That's cool I guess.. But weird how they split the 4 buff spells between the hunters and rangers like that. Seems backwards lol

But anyways... umm.. Khmmm Rangers are for beginners IMO, and im assuming nobody in this thread is a PSO noob... save the 3 slots for admirable characters

But guys... think about it... GUNS! FREAKING GUNS!

I know i'll be making a Ranger as my first character, can't wait.

(Seriously did you hear the sound of the guns? No more laser "sissy" stuff!)

---
    Currently Playing: Phantasy Star IV

My first character was a Ranger and I really enjoyed it, human manufactured guns indeed sound and look awesome, lunar guns are ugly as hell xD and the remnants of the CAST technology are more in a "phantasy" stile. Also, gunst Photon Arts are incredible, say Matrix? no, guns PAs XD