Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default PSZ Sega Event- PSO 10th anniversary!!!

Well this isn't exactly about PSZ, but more so about PSO. So why did I post it here you ask? Well for one what I'm about to say did occur while I was at the PSZ Sega event and more people view this sub-forum then the PSO section as of lately.

Well on to what you're all waiting for. When I was at the Sega Event my second place team and I prepared our questions to ask Sakai-san, at the video conference, of what's next for Phantasy Star Online (sounds silly at this point in time, but you know you all want it) hoping for anything; a twitch of the eye even. We knew we wouldn't get a straight answer, we just hoped we'd get more of a "We can't speak on that at this moment in time." rather than a "Nope, we have nothing planned." In my opinion we got an even better answer than we anticipated; Sakai-san mentioned that the 10th anniversary of Phantasy Star Online is coming next year and that he couldn't say anymore.

Now I don't know about any of you out there, but that just makes my day everytime I think on that statement lol. I just hope, more than anything, it's nothing as petty as a MAG++ event on PSU. Well I'd like to know what everyones thoughts are on what this could be. Go ahead, go wild with your phantasies of PSO animes, next gen PSO remakes, and PSO ep. V!!!

Flying high in the sky with a fly in your eye.

How about an updated version of PSO+ for consoles and pc with updated visuals and gameplay including PA's. And a free to play system instead of a license. :P
    'All tales end in tragedy. Follow the hero long enough, you'll step across his corpse.'
    Survivor of TWO live Gwar performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-Hawk View Post
    How about an updated version of PSO+ for consoles and pc with updated visuals and gameplay including PA's. And a free to play system instead of a license. :P
    Copy pasted from an earlier response I made to this exact same thing:

A remake of PSO isn't exactly what I'm talking about.

Face it, PSO has been remade more times than it needed too. There was PSO, PSO v.2, PSO Ep 1-2, PSO PLUS, PSO PC, and finally PSOBB. These are all the same game, just with added content.

Now, PSU is, admittedly, terrible. It wasn't a good game when it came out, and it still isn't this many years later. However, you should not think that that means that I want nothing but PSO remakes for the rest of my life. PSZ is gonna be fun, but if were talking a full fledged console game again, then there needs to something of an evolution of the series.

PSU was a bad example of that. And you wanna know why? The creators essentially "forgot" why people played PSO as much as they did.

PSO was an action based rpg with a heavy emphasis on timed combat and loot.

PSU is an action based MMO, with a heavy emphasis on job grinding and crafting.

See, if Sega were to make another entry in the series, but kept those aspects true I think they could actually have something going on. But PSU shot itself in the foot by attempting to lengthen its gameplay via artificial means. For instance, PSU has always had a "fake" level cap, which is a very obvious method of requiring the player to spend years capping a character when it could have been done in months. As a result, I didn't even spend a thousand hours on PSU, whereas in PSO, if you added all my characters up I probably spent nearly 1000-1500 hours in game. It was an idea that had the opposite affect of its intention for a majority of the player base.

And the crafting was a huge problem as well. Everyone who loved playing PSO loved the rare hunting. Thats just a given, its why the game is a dungeon crawler, you are always either killing enemies or stealing loot. Thats it. So by making PSU a craft based game they essentially destroyed another aspect of the game.

And then theres all the minor things that just added up in the game. The disappearance of MAGS, the lack of timed combos, the inclusion of PP as "Ammo" for guns, the convoluted class system, the endless running of the exact same missions, the lack of enemy and boss types, the cheesy storyline, and of course the departure from the awesome cyberpunk inspired PSO artstyle and the adoption of the much blander corny japanese sci-fi look.

Now don't get me wrong, if we were to get a new, full fledged console PS ORPG, I think there are some good things that could be taken from PSU. The inclusion of vehicles, although poorly done in PSU, could have some interesting possibilities. The addition of photon arts and elemental bullets was not in and of itself a bad idea either. The 6 party member system was welcome as a way of diversifying the overall team mate roles. I'd even go so far as to say that if better handled, the Job system in PSU could create some interesting things as well.

But then again, I would be lying if I said that I doubt SEGA's ability at this point to do another full fledged console PS game. But hey, heres hoping. It's not like I don't give them the benefit of the doubt everytime they announce another sonic game that inevitably ends up being terrible.
    Illustrator! Pixel Artist!:

mmm, I have to admit that would be delicious I know we've all felt at least a little let down by some of the newer Phantasy Star incarnations, but I can honestly say I'd be happy with yet another iteration of Phantasy Star Online.

Also, look at the world map of Ragol when playing PSO EP. III, that's a lot of content that can be used there. Also considering interesting maps within the game such as that beautiful moss covered cavern and those kool ruins where you fight this ancient (machine?) thingy (aka. Leukon knight). And also thanks to all these mysterious things a next gen remake of PSO can support a deeper, more profound storyline.

Besides, its not an "event" like so many are saying. His words were that we should "expect big things for the 10th anniversary of PSO".

Thats it. My money is on the announcement of a new game in the series, and please, to everyone that keeps saying it, stop asking for remakes. Its dumb. Refer to my above post, yes PSU screwed us royally but honestly I don't want to keep playing the same game for the rest of my life.

If I did, I would play Ultima.
    Illustrator! Pixel Artist!:

It's times like these that I want to work my way through college to secure myself a seat in the SEGA corporation, work my way up the corporal ladder to a point where I can make the above posted dream of mine come true.

Imagine, the same old PSO with the same old art style only expanded like crazy. Next Gen graphics, good voice acting, 50+ hours of gameplay on the initial game (not including later expansions / episodes), open end worlds, with a variety of textures and enemies meaning no cheap cookie cutter levels and reskined monsters period!

Just imagine being able to walk around the city you see from the shop area balcony on the pioneer 2. I've got hundreds of ideas for a coherent and deep story, quests, and everything. And I'd bring back every single thing that PSO had, no content shall be cut.

This will be a bigger game than FFXI, I've got an ambition... an ambition of the illuminus... sorry, bad PS humor.

I could go on for hours on this and you know what, I'm going to make this my life goal. Nothing would give me more joy. Who's with me? I want all of you who actually are on here cause you care about phantasy star to back me up, to make sure that I reach this goal. Don't let me sway.

I've got that epic Braveheart speech feeling right now ... oh and there it goes, now I feel kind of sick because of all the people that will read this and be like "dude... >.> you care too much about this game, *insert random flaming phrase*." And to them I say, I just want to create the ultimate game that brought joy and happiness that phantasy star series has brought me and many others. In fact if it werent' for PSO and PSU I would have never met some of the best friends in my life today.

End of off topic essay.

Oh and Niered, I realize you don't want to play the same game about. And even though my last post reeks remake, I mean I want to make it with so much of an overhall that it'll be like a brand new game that takes place in the same world of PSO. I did mention 50+ hours lol, the original PSO storyline couldn't fill all that up.

I hope you understand what I mean lol. Like imagine if someone took The legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past and remade it for next gen consoles, it would be like a completely new experience. Think of it like that with the added fact that the remake portion of it will only be a small portion of it.

i would like a new to see a new brand in the phantasy star series if you can call it that as they only share elements so lets see something like phantasy star galaxy for the 10th anniversary
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken_L_button View Post
    Erk...FO's. Stealing my kills with their fancy fairy sparkles. Be men and use your fists!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elly_Belly574 View Post
    i have a PSP but its being a douche
    Quote Originally Posted by Majarra View Post
    SEGA is run by monkeys.

Like a Mass Effect type Phantasy Star lol, that would be pretty kickass. But you know when you have an entire galaxy involve the main antagonist has to be so much more...troublesome (lol can't think of a word.) Oooh, I do have an idea for that. Isn't the next thing up from Dark Falz the Dark Force (I actually think this was Dark Falz's name in the first Phantasy Star) or Profound Darkness. You've never been able to fight that in the previous Phantasy Stars. Or on top of that it could be something like you have to actually go into that dimensional pocket where all the Profound Darkness is being held.

Another thing is that we could have Lutz in the new game, and I mean the real Lutz not the half-assed Rutsu form. Oh if you noticed during the PSO ep.I credits after beating it on ULT you actually see Lutz in game, I thought that was kind of kool.

Whoa, geez thoughts are coming into my head in rapid succession lol. Ok so Everyone knows that the Profound Darkness is the bad stuff in the PS series, and everyone who played the old PS' and know the lore know that the Great Light battled the Profound Darkness long before the first PS. Well for this large scale epic battle the people of the galaxy and the light within them is not enough to defeat the Profound Darkness. And so through some strange story elements we throw in beings/creatures of Light to assist (maybe, although this is a little odd, have them be a new race in game that would be uterly badass but don't use weapons or armor) the people of Andromeda (yes, if you've played PSII you know it takes place in Andromeda which is out sister galaxy.) but it just confuses me cause PSZ takes place on Earth, but I guess they did say it was an alternate Earth being as Earthmen also showed up in PSII ironically. Anyways, just in case you don't know where I'm going witht these Light beings I'm thinking something along the lines of like Leukon Knights. And it would be pretty badass if like at the end, some weird shit happens like, the spirits of Alis Landale, Eusis Landale, etc. (all the original party members from PSI, PSII, and PSIV.) all show up out of this army of Light beings to help in the final battle.

Honestly, if a new PS game for a console was announced, I would be ecstatic. I really don't care much about PSZ and PSP because I don't care about handhelds anymore. A console game, however, would be great.

I don't know what excatly I'd want to see in it, but I can tell you right now, crafting and Photon arts need to go.