Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blue Burst/Zero FTW!

He seemingly forgot that Sega successfully took the original PSO formula that he loved so much, enhanced it, and fit it all into a portable game cartridge. That is an impressive technical feat. Who cares if the story mode is lame, incase noone has noticed there hasnt been a truly great Phantasy Star offline RPG since Phantasy Star IV. What makes you think they'd start now? The story mode we got was actually comical at times, it doesnt overstay it's welcome, and it's a good tutorial to ease the player into the incredibly deep and complex multiplayer portion of the game. Of course they had to put chat limitations in this game, otherwise the penis pictochat pictures would be all over the place. You KNOW that's true. As much as I dislike being censored in an online game, the friend's code system is done in the best interests of the player, and also helps in maintaining a tight-knit community of legitimate players. Is the game perfect? No, and they should have included "Goodbye", and some aspects of the controls and gameplay could obviously use tightening up. But I'd say that for their first time, with this third "type" of online Phantasy Star game (first being PSO, second being PSU, PSP didnt bring out anywhere near the significant new features that PS0 did), they did a DAMN good job considering that it's on the freaking Nintendo DS. They really pushed the hardware to it's limits. To give this game anything less than an A- would be a sin.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cApNhOwDy View Post
    He seemingly forgot that Sega successfully took the original PSO formula that he loved so much, enhanced it, and fit it all into a portable game cartridge. That is an impressive technical feat. Who cares if the story mode is lame, incase noone has noticed there hasnt been a truly great Phantasy Star offline RPG since Phantasy Star IV. What makes you think they'd start now? The story mode we got was actually comical at times, it doesnt overstay it's welcome, and it's a good tutorial to ease the player into the incredibly deep and complex multiplayer portion of the game. Of course they had to put chat limitations in this game, otherwise the penis pictochat pictures would be all over the place. You KNOW that's true. As much as I dislike being censored in an online game, the friend's code system is done in the best interests of the player, and also helps in maintaining a tight-knit community of legitimate players. Is the game perfect? No, and they should have included "Goodbye", and some aspects of the controls and gameplay could obviously use tightening up. But I'd say that for their first time, with this third "type" of online Phantasy Star game (first being PSO, second being PSU, PSP didnt bring out anywhere near the significant new features that PS0 did), they did a DAMN good job considering that it's on the freaking Nintendo DS. They really pushed the hardware to it's limits. To give this game anything less than an A- would be a sin.
    he's a douchebag i tell you XD whats with him giving psz B- man it easily should have been an A since
    Sarisa+Tentacles = Instant Win!
    Last edited by zetagear; Nov 25, 2009 at 03:30 AM.

PM me if you want to add me
    or if you want me to make you a sig like mine...

I think the review is pretty much ok, his points are valid.
    "The dated feel" he critizises though is the stuff that keeps us die hard PSO-fans coming back for more.
    Still loving the game after 25 hrs, I doubt the reviewer put more than 5 hrs into the game.
    But at least it’s a review from a well known site, and it ain’t bad, so maybe it will attract some people to the game.

People would still complain, if he gave it an A-...

Reviews are only opinions, take them with a grain of salt, play the game for yourself, and make your own conclusions.

Lets be fair. He pulled himself away from MW2 long enough to review the game. He was probably annoyed that he couldn't frag his little sister, and then grief her over voice chat, for 25 minutes.

Oh no someone doesn't like the game I like! Maybe I should disregard his opinion because as a fan I'm obviously right!

He isn't a douchebag. Please people, name calling is very immature. Grated, I don't agree on what a lot write in their reviews and that is why I take bits and pieces from more than one.

The net play is as smooth as can be with Nintendo's limitations. Graphically, they could have had more avatar customization. I actually liked the story mode of the game, but then again, I'm a PSO die hard. The author writes "I can't help but feel like this is the same game that I played in lieu of studying for Chemistry exams", if said game is one of your top 10 games of all time, then this is a GOOD thing. "Even with its myriad problems, I still enjoyed the several dozen hours I've poured into Phantasy Star Zero." So he is saying that he has at least played for 24 hours. Also, I really don't see the myriad of problems, unless the fact that Nintendo's WFC is set in place to "protect" children, then sure, Phantasy Star 0 has problems. Otherwise, I see PS0 as a simplified/remixed version of a groundbreaking game with tons of devoted fans that can now fit in the palm of your hands. B+ in my book. If they made the controls better (adding more pallets), added more avatar customization and allowed 5 character slots I would call it a solid A game.

OFF TOPIC:
    Quote Originally Posted by pso_crash View Post
    Lets be fair. He pulled himself away from MW2 long enough to review the game.
    I read "MW2" (Mech Warrior 2) and got excited. Oh what a great game....
    Last edited by koikaze; Nov 25, 2009 at 08:25 AM.

Well being completely new to the series and reading the review and the user reviews. He has a lot of valid points. I mean honestly their are parts of the game such as the story where it makes some sense but not completely. The Dungeon running especially ET can get a bit boring and gaining the best items is a major feat but it is requires you spend hours and hours getting the "prefect" rare. However I think he missed one major point...

THIS IS THE DS!!!

I am pretty sure the DS handicaps this game. I know it isn't like a psp but what do you expect. I actually nicknamed PS0, pocket mmorpg. If you like rpg's and spending hours training your character then this is probably one of the better rpg's on DS. Yes it has it's flaws but in terms of comparing to most games on portable systems, he was pretty accurate on the grade. Especially if you don't have a lot of Friend Codes and just doing random games on Wi-Fi. However, looking just at DS games it is really good and I would give it a B+ or A-. I would say that the online play is pretty amazing but it only really seems to work well if you have FC's.

Conclusion:
    Not the best game of all time so if you don't have a DS don't buy the system for the game. If your looking for a DS game that is gonna keep you entertained for more then 10 hours (like most older ones...lol) and is a rpg it is well worth the money.
    Last edited by Blood Raven; Nov 25, 2009 at 08:45 AM.
    Main:

PSZ Characters:
    Seppuku Wolf: HUcast-lv54
    Help Me decide on others please http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171259

This review isn't really that bad. The only aspect that I disagree with him on is the "dated feel" that the PSO style brings. It's more of a refresher rather than a rehash.

However, I do agree that the controls and camera angles aren't really too great. Whenever I play it, I feel as if they should have added some sort of weapon "quick swap" like they had in PSO. (At least for the gamecube, anyway (you hold down L and press Y (I think...) and that gives you a little popup menu that lists a bunch of weapons you are holding and can quickly switch to. You could also flip through pages to use items if you liked.))

Other than that, however, It really isn't that bad. Although I do wish they had a bit more customization available... like proportions and body types... but it's a DS cartridge, so you really can't complain.

Anyway, if I reviewed it, I would give it a B, B- as well. That seems like a perfectly decent score for any game. But then again, I'm not a real high-maintenance kind of person... anything C+ and up for me is decent.
    Last edited by R315r4z0r; Nov 25, 2009 at 11:52 AM.

The only review I actually listened to (By someone called "Gregory")

"First off I found the 1UP review to be lacking and very misleading. The most important issue being the online experience; the writer stated that he had a really hard time connecting to friends and worded it as the game's fault. I hope it wasn't intentional because I've not once had a problem connecting to my friend online (who happens to live a good 15+ hours away from myself). The same goes for my time spent with the import version almost a year ago, I hope the writer tested this game on multiple networks with the correct set-up because I've not experienced anything that he stated there and I was using the Nintendo USB WiFi Connector on a very unreliable home network.

Phantasy Star Zero has an almost completely different effect on me compared to the writer as well. This game has it's own distinct and unique feel, while taking the best parts of it's predecessor PSO and it's cousin PSU/PSP to make a game unlike anything on a handheld. I never find myself feeling like I am reliving my old memories from PSO, or wishing I WAS.

The additions to the controls, battle system, environments and stage set-ups, as well as the chat system and style all give PS0 a unique feeling that set's itself apart. At first the gameplay feels limiting, and at times frustrating but it only takes one dungeon to get the hang of it. Quick-Selecting with the shoulder buttons and Start feels just like PSO's similar action and gives me space for my action palette, but using a Force still requires me to make some tough decisions on what to have on my palette. One major addition I'd like would the ability to fire off techs through the menu, most notably S/D to free up space on my action palette.

The reviewer didn't accept the game on it's own merits, being on a handheld system. Instead he tried comparing it to a full blown console game with the grace of a robust control scheme granted by an actual controller. It's unfair to compare a console game from 2001 to a handheld game in 2009, how does PS0 stack up against handheld games of that time?

What SEGA did to make this game from both a visual and gameplay stand point, in addition to the clean and smooth online experience is beyond amazing and deserving of more credit. The amount of beauty they squeezed into the DS in each level along with some of the most melodic and encompassing music in the series to date captures me just like PSO did 10 years ago. Levels and enemy designs share an endearing amount of creativity that brings a smile to my face even after 60+ hours of playing."