Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

All I ask is maybe some downloadable content for the DSi, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearissoslow View Post
    The single-player campaign is trash and mind-numbing after four hours
    Am I the only person who enjoyed story mode? :<

Not just you. I liked it, too. Possibly because it seemed to be one of the better ones, for the online series. It wasn't deep or anything, but something enjoyable, easy to understand, and quick. The last being important because you didn't spend an hour or so doing a mission based on dialogue like PSU. The long time you spent was actually playing the game. So out of that 15+ hour playthrough, you could pretty much count the amount of time spent in dialogue in minutes.

Then again, Dungeon Crawlers tend to have less fans in review circles, these days. However, I think for some reason this gets compared to games on more powerful systems, while plenty of other DS titles don't get compared that way. They did at least put a small blurb that this makes one of the best of its kind on the system. IMO, it is the best of its kind on the system. No competition.

Pal Rappy for President TaciturnBadger's Avatar

The lack of media attention on PSZ is something that puzzled me to no end. I managed to snag a copy at a local store on launch day only by pure accident -- the clerk knows me and I'd been trying to get him to play PSO for quite some time. So, while I managed to get the store's ONLY copy on launch day, I still couldn't believe that none of the magazines I get even mentioned the fact that it was in production, had released in Japan, or even mentioned it whatsoever. Ahh, well.. what can ya do?
    All your mags are belong to us!

Usually on nights, ~10pm to ~1am (EST). Sometimes later.

I am a Hildetorr! To find out what you are, take the quiz here.

I haven't gotten through much of the story yet, as I've only just gotten the game. But from what I've seen so far, it's not that incredibly annoying cliche style mission that plagued PSU.

You know the ones I mean.

"The animals broke lose and are rampaging against civilians!"
    "The machines have malfunctioned and are rampaging against civilians!"
    "The faction has broken away and are rampaging against civilians!"

They do throw in some other mission types every now and again... but then it later on turns back into "they have gone crazy and are rampaging against civilians!"

From the few missions I've played so far, it's already better than PSU.

In Japan this game has already come and gone. They made a lot of copies here that ended up in the bargain bin pretty fast. Phantasy Star is really a console game, a cartridge doesn`t have enough space for customization and your staring at a small screen running through repetitive stages with graphics that are less than polished.
    What I think really killed it is Nintendo`s horrible approach to online games. It would nice to be able to log on and play with anyone; instead there are friend codes and complete lack of lobbies or variations for people to play. It`s like making a hotel booking to play with anyone and for most people who can`t get online the story isn`t enough to make the game engaging enough to play beyond normal. I was bored to tears by the hentai game style anime conversations that i skipped through all of them, only ready a couple lines occasionally to confirm it wasn`t going anywhere.

It`s impressive for a DS game , but that`s also why it`s so lacking.

As for magazine reviews, those people are quantity over quality. They have to write something in a couple of days so they pretty much write their reviews on first impressions because for most things; they just don`t care. Over all articles are worthless because they`re either some reaction to a new promotion video, which with youtube you can watch directly now, or some rushed review of a new game. If your not sure about the review part, wait until it gets released and read several normal people`s review of it before you make the jump.

for me PSZ was okay, just okay. The thing i like most about PSo was that you uncovered the story by doing quests, it wasn`t handed to you like a steaming pile of poo on a platter. It really made me want to play to ultimate to see the final ending. That`s one formula they haven`t been able to reproduce (even though the game play has gotten better). For any fanboys who really enjoy PSZ, it`s probably still honey moon time and the excitement of getting your hands on a new game to wrap your hands around for christmas break, but are you sure you`re not convincing yourself you like this game?

Intelligent post, Kion. *applauds*

I'm not saying I agree with any negativity you wrote about PSZ, but that was a great read.
    ...Rest in peace, ol' chap. :'(

I don't think I'm convincing myself that I enjoy this game. Having a solid title for the DS is something that's been lacking for a long time, and the fact that it's a Phantasy Star title makes it that much better. Also, it's taking a step back to the PSO roots, which is something that Sonic Team has been needing to do for a long time. Personally, I'm happy to see my second-favorite video RPG series (next to Fallout) being pushed in the right direction. It's resurrected my addiction to PSO, which still manages to suck a great deal of my free time even after nearly a decade. Will PSZ have that kind of durability? Of course not. Will this provide a satisfying, hand-held addiction fix for a beloved series? Certainly. Did it take the DS to the absolute extremes of the systems' capability? No.

When all is said and done, however, the biggest factors for me are FUN FACTOR and REPLAY VALUE. In short, I fully enjoy the time that I spend on the game, and there's enough variety between the character classes and gameplay for me to want to take it through with all three classes. So, for me, yes, this was a good game. It's also a rare title for the DS that can't be completely obliterated and beaten to death within 10 hours of gameplay. So, no, I'm not bedazzled by a cart that says "Phantasy Star" on it. If you want to get brutal, it's a crappily thrown-together storyline, delivered in a fashion even a third grader wouldn't miss subtleties on, with piss-poor 8-second animations thrown in just so they can say "MOVIES" on the back of the box, plus repetitive gameplay of which all nuances can be learned within two rooms. But it's fun. And it stays fun. And I like it.

Which is more than I can say for other "repetitive hack 'n slash" games from the 'Cube. (See Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. See if you can stomach playing through that twice without contemplating console suicide.)

Another intelligent post.

I like this place.
    ...Rest in peace, ol' chap. :'(

Plus, I actually laughed out loud when Ogi started analyzing Sarisa's frontage. That hasn't happened in a game in a LONG time.