Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Joke spoiler detected.

Initializing crying sequence...

Done.

Last edited by Epically Leet; Nov 25, 2009 at 03:19 PM.
    ...Rest in peace, ol' chap. :'(

To a certain degree, I think Phantasy Star Zero and Phantasy Star Portable 2 are doing to the portable platforms like Phantasy Star Online did for consoles. Finally bringing a good online multiplayer Dungeon Crawl gameplay to a new platform. Is it the best thing if you count all the platforms together? No. For me, this kind of stuff was a long time coming. I wanted games of its ilk to come out 5 years ago. Especially when it was super rare to have a console dungeon hacker with any decent online play at all. And even the PC got one rarely. That's how slow things got for my favorite genre.

I think being that the Dungeon Hack is my favorite genre has a lot to do with how well I enjoy one of those games; but I do know comparisons to others I've played, and what unique aspects they bring to the table. Some will say it's a repetitive genre, but I see it as constantly evolving subtle changes to gameplay that happen as you get your next big finds. It's the secret why I could put thousands of hours into the genre, and show no signs of quitting it altogether.

For me, on the portable platforms, I would say that Sonic Team pretty much just has themselves to compete with, particularly for involving infrastructure. Maybe Capcom will follow suit with their (quite impressive Monster Hunter series) and also rise to that occasion (even though I find their style of game unique, and different than your general hack and slash, which makes it more valuable, but also not a replacement for games that fit squarely in the genre).

I've played some pretty bad ones before, and to tell you the truth, almost everything else on the portable platform is neutered in comparison with a good console or PC hack and slash way more than Sonic Team's games. These actually seem like honest attempts to keep the gameplay and depth we loved from previous console attempts, and why they are held in high regard for me. PSP2 has the chance of being the best of the bunch, and if it does, it'll probably take forever before someone else steps in to beat it.

When Phantasy Star Online came out, the idea of a console playing a good action RPG online, with co-op and communication, was unheard of. And to this degree, Phantasy Star Zero is early enough to be considered that way for the DS. It's definitely the first with smooth free online play, even if it wasn't out the door first. PSP2 will definitely be like that for the PSP, as it seems nobody else seems to care to make infrastructure online games for the thing. (Or even making a Dungeon Crawler anywhere at all like previous decent ones that made it to consoles). And it's infinitely better than Untold Legends 1 and (especially 2), Dungeon Explorer, and several other attempts to put a Dungeon Hacker together. Practically none of them trying at all to do infrastructure. (Then again, PSZ beats most of those, too. Just from gameplay elements without even taking multiplayer into consideration.)
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Nov 25, 2009 at 03:25 PM.

While I think the reviewer makes some legitimate points about the game, I would put it more at an A-/B+ range if I actually had to grade it for some reason. Of course, everyone has different tastes so I can see where he is coming from a bit. There could have been more customization of characters, but I really do not see that as being much of an issue. For me the main point of the game was the gameplay which I think is generally good. I know the game has gotten some criticism for the difficulty of switching weapons and using items outside of the palette, but I have not found that to be too big of a problem for me. I think you get used to it over time and I think the weapon switching actually makes it somewhat more realistic (I realize that the game is not really going for realism though) since being able to constantly switch weapons and use items would not actually make sense in a practical context.

I thought the story mode was good enough. I liked it better than PSO's which I found a little lacking in that it was so hidden and not very connected. Having seven areas plus the tower also seemed like more than enough for a DS game and I have been impressed by the lack of repetitiveness in those areas so far. I have found that the rare monsters, arenas, pizza shop, and cake shop make going through those areas more fun than going through the same areas in PSO multiple times in a row.

Nostalgia could have influenced my opinions, but I think even if you take that into account PSZ is still objectively pretty good. I have only just started playing online and I have been enjoying it even with the limited chat options in free play so I think it could get even better. Obviously I can only speak to my experiences though.

Pal Rappy for President TaciturnBadger's Avatar

Ah, a series of intelligent comments and replies! Always happy to see thought-out responses and opposing viewpoints that don't devolve into a flame war.
    All your mags are belong to us!

Usually on nights, ~10pm to ~1am (EST). Sometimes later.

I am a Hildetorr! To find out what you are, take the quiz here.

Blue Burst/Zero FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Kion View Post
    For any fanboys who really enjoy PSZ, it`s probably still honey moon time and the excitement of getting your hands on a new game to wrap your hands around for christmas break, but are you sure you`re not convincing yourself you like this game?
    I understand what you're saying. I had the absolute same experience with PSU, trying to convince myself it was great simply because it's the new online Phantasy Star game that I had been waiting on for years. But with PS0, I'm absolutely positive that I love this game. It puts a smile on my face and I'm rapidly pressing the start button to get into the game as quickly as possible as soon as I flip the switch to power my DS on. It's a guilty timesink that I enjoy every minute of. I've been lending my JP copy to friends to let them demo it, and I definitely plan on asking for another copy of the game for Christmas so that I can have more character slots. I've already put 30+ hours onto one character and I cant wait to get as far with my Force and Ranger. I love playing online, I love the PSO-esque music, I love the timed combat, the dodge-roll, the lock-on and strafe features from PSU, the random level layout, I love the return of Mags, I love collecting the weapons that I havent found yet, and I love the titles system. But most importantly, I love the gameplay, which is infinitely better than PSU in every important way, which is amazing for a portable game. My only gripe is that you cant move while in the menu screen, but the way I've used it I've never really needed to.

Do I like it better than PSO? Nope, but it's damn-near the next closest best thing, and it's refreshing to have something new, and on-the-go to boot!

Default Har.

I remember when I first realized this game was being released for the DS; by that, I meant seeing it in the corner of my vision in a small hut inside Gamestop. By that time, I had already planned on buying it due to my cryptic but pleasing experience with PSonline.

And now, I'm here.

Regarding the review, he seemed rather flaky to give any true 'review' of the game and acted 'preview'-ish with it all. A better way to put this is saying how he reminisced about his days of older PS games and then, as that small review of sorts started to unfold, he slapped a letter, some slurred words in the mix, and gave a great game a mediocre beating.

I personally do notice his points in the review but at the same time, everyone has too and accepted it. It's reflective points like that which make so-called 'reviews' terrible in the least. Besides, I don't think he put dozens of hours into the game, as I've reached only 24 hours by this post's placement and 'dozens' doesn't do the game justice.

In short, the review was too opinionated on his own ideas of what PS could have been. The game itself falls short at the steps but made a great leap abroad the case. PS0 deserves credit for where it's being bred from, should at least be acknowledged for a rather successful game pushing from PSonline, and be announced of its fun and originality.

Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by TaciturnBadger View Post
    Plus, I actually laughed out loud when Ogi started analyzing Sarisa's frontage. That hasn't happened in a game in a LONG time.
    you havent seen the Sarisa Tentacles yet...

PM me if you want to add me
    or if you want me to make you a sig like mine...

Quote Originally Posted by pixelstar View Post
    I'm still puzzled by the lack of media attention this game is getting (as far as I can see at least). Hell, I have never even seen the game at any stores in my area (bought it online, even though I pass by stores daily). I thought that the point of the game was to draw in new players to the PSO experience, but it's relying mostly on word of mouth and the Nintendo Power review.

It stings a little that the only other review doesn't sound too positive, but B- is I guess not a very bad score. For a DS title that is able to pull off what this game does and that offers a free and enjoyable online experience, I think it deserves higher though.
    There is a reason as to why it isn't getting a lot of news: Modern Warfare 2 and Left 4 dead 2. They are the reason. I believe leave that the review could have been better

Quote Originally Posted by zetagear View Post
    you havent seen the Sarisa Tentacles yet...
    Semi related...

Where's this bad review people were talking about? I read it. You know what? He made some valid points. PS0 has its flaws, even so he still enjoyed the game. How does that make him a douchebag?
    Phantasy Star Zero

Khorhaplis - FOnewm

F/C: 3008 8201 5781