Default Yet another set of Ketchup's rants Fall 2009 Semester Finals edition!

More rants from me, this time right in the middle of finals, awesome time for me to have so much anger. As always, probable bad language may be in the following:

I asked a girl out a little while ago, got the "I'll think about it" thing. I've seen her many times since, and received no response yet. I'm guessing she either is going to say no, or has forgotten (she is forgetful). While attempting to arrange to hang out with her in a group setting, I've run into a few problems, meaning I need to either wait until classes start back up in mid-late January or figure some way to meet her over break (I do have some kind of an idea, but it depends on a 3rd party's calendar).

---
    Professors: Please don't assign a project and a take home final to be due the same day with a major paper due the day before. Having only 3 grades for the whole class and having them all due within 2 days (back to back) is not fun.

School: If you are going to have a dance, choose some place that fits a decent number of people. We have a school of ~5,000, you rented a place that holds 250 max. From what I heard, tickets sold out within 2 days last year, and sold out within 6 hours this year but you scheduled them to be on sale all week. Tickets sold out early Tuesday, but it wasn't until at least Friday that an email was sent saying they sold out- why?

To my group for a class project (topic: JFK murder): If you say 1:00, we expect it to be 1:00, not 1:30. The 2 of you residents kept the 2 commuters there (both of us went only for the meeting, we had no other classes that day) waiting for over a half hour. You have literally a 5 minute walk!
    If a group meeting is scheduled, hold the meeting! Especially if the due date is coming up. If one member wants to meet with some of the rest of the group for just 5 minutes, why not meet for the 5 minutes? It isn't like you have to drive home anywhere. The project turned out horrible, one of the worst in the class, there was no organization, each person went their own way on the topic. Our group didn't do a group project- we had 6 individual projects covering different parts of the same topic. One example of showing we didn't work together- one of our presenters seemed to me like she was placing the blame on the KKK.

To one member of the group project: When the project seems horrible and I mention that it was a cluster fuck, don't try and blame it all on me. When I reply that it was screwed up by everyone, not an individual, don't call me a jerk. I asked for a few group meetings so that we could go over everything, individual parts and as the completed thing. As I said above, neither happened. I wanted assistance with some things like finding out if a source was trustworthy (for every legitimate info site, there are 50 conspiracy ones) and if some of the sites got accepted, listen to and judge the audio of something (worth playing or not? my ears aren't great) and I get accused of wanting others to do my work. What I wanted help with would have been 5 minutes tops. All of your material was a lot easier to find the facts about. I also wanted to just make sure my material wasn't overlapping someone else's, cover the order of presenting, and try and get some things into the general information before the individual sections start. Surely other people think that is important enough to cover in a group meeting, right?

Luckily we both got good course grades for the class.

Tegrity: Please do not reset the playback speed back to 1x when I pause it. Usually I just want to copy a bit of info from the slide and continue at the 1.5x speed.

---
    Places I've applied to for internships: Why haven't you returned emails or calls asking for even general information? If you said I can start for an internship, answering when I call or returning my calls for more info on important stuff like what to wear and where and when to meet you would be appreciated if done within I'll be nice and say a week, 6 months doesn't work.
    To one department: Why does this major still require an internship? Ok, they are great to do, but why require it if you give 0 help in finding one? You can't even provide a list of places that took interns before? That is one reason my other major's department got rid of the requirement.

To places with help wanted ads: You can't always ask for experienced people only.

To hiring agencies: Would it kill you to at least name the place you are hiring for? I've had a bunch of ideas for my internship go without any calls or emails sent because they were hiring through another company and the name of the company with the open position was not mentioned anywhere.

---
    Dad: Please follow conversations or at least understand what I am saying. If I say something please don't say something similar 2 seconds later that is almost exactly the same and make it sound like you just thought of it.

Mom: If you are going to give me a suggestion (usually in the form of a newspaper article) for where to intern, please look up what it is, or even if the place's name is even mentioned in the article (She told me once- "Try applying here" when the place wasn't even named at all).

One of my dogs: Please stop scratching at the kitchen floor and the mat your water dish is on for more food. You are spilling the water. You are also getting in the way much more often now than you were before.

---
    Myself ( ): I realize that in some ways I am what KodiaX was talking about in his "Pussies Must Die" thread. I definitely am when talking to girls I like, once I was left alone with one to walk to a concert in a nearby building (we were walking with a mutual friend and her boyfriend, and our mutual friend "forgot" something in her room and told us to continue). I didn't even ask for her number.
    The other night I was at a bar for a friend's party, and saw a friend of her's I might be interested in. I never talked to her, or even asked our mutual friend to introduce us.

Also I procrastinate way too much. Had to read a book for a final last week. Left it all to the last 3 days. Have to write a 12 page paper by Thursday 8am and I am far from finished. I knew I'd have to do both both since at least early November.
    ---

The trigger for this rant was the group project, because I got in a fight with that one member over text message. Then I expanded into everything else. Awesome thing to do just before finals. (Read: Never get angry like this during finals).
    Last edited by Ketchup345; Dec 15, 2009 at 11:09 PM.

Meh. This is why I never like group projects. I had a bad run with a group for midterm and final. One class I had our team was doing pretty well. We had to do a character design concept for a TV series. We end up having a straggler in the group. She didn't do much. I got all of my stuff finished ahead of time(I did the character designs) and I was pretty much waiting on another teammate to get the colorings finished. So, the teacher told us, that we ALL need to be present during presentation, otherwise we fail. -_-; We had five minutes... She didn't show until the last few seconds. Thankfully, we passed... Sort of. But none of us wanted her on our team again.

In another situation. I was on a three person team. We had to do a small animatic concept for a commercial. I did all the drawings as usual. Set up was hard as we had trouble getting the animation to work properly in Flash. I was a newbie to Flash back then. Wasn't until the last minute that I finally got the damn animation working. So, it was our time to present... The file crashed. We wasted over 3-5 minutes trying to get this working, and nothing. Mind you, this was on my teammate's laptop. Which I will admit was a horrible idea, because it was shit. And when I thought things didn't get worse, his laptop shuts off. Turned out he didn't plug it in, to give it some battery life. Final failed. X_X; So now my grade in the class, which was supposed to be an A, was debunked down to a C for failing the final. These two, who weren't doing well enough to begin with, failed indefinetly. I will admit part of this was my fault though. The structure of the team was sloppy. And our management sucked too. But after that, I did not talk to that guy again for a very long while.

In short Ketchup. I feel your pain.
    Remembering the Universe. Click below!

Oh, and we were also told we'd be emailed a copy of the presentation before the class we were presenting it. It was to be presented on a Saturday, as of Friday night I had not received it. I don't think I received it at any other point either. We were still editing it minutes before the class.

The person I was fighting with said I didn't know what I was talking about. If we had met for those 5 minutes, my bit would have been much longer and have provided in depth analysis.

During the presentation I had asked the person at the computer to replay a clip so that I could comment on parts of it, but she said she had closed it and wouldn't go back.

That sucks Tyreek. I managed a B+ in the class, and the other person had an A-. There were 2 individual grades, one of which I had no idea what they wanted: it was literally posted a week before it was due and changed the final from questions to a 1 page flow chart with what I'd consider poor explanation of what they wanted. Due to previously set plans for that weekend, the flow chart was done over a course of about 30 minutes at 4AM, and that is including copying to a better draft then another final draft.
    Last edited by Ketchup345; Dec 16, 2009 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup345 View Post
    Myself ( ): I realize that in some ways I am what KodiaX was talking about in his "Pussies Must Die" thread. I definitely am when talking to girls I like, once I was left alone with one to walk to a concert in a nearby building (we were walking with a mutual friend and her boyfriend, and our mutual friend "forgot" something in her room and told us to continue). I didn't even ask for her number.
    The other night I was at a bar for a friend's party, and saw a friend of her's I might be interested in. I never talked to her, or even asked our mutual friend to introduce us.

I wouldn't compare you to what KodiaX said man, some things in life just can't be helped. I too am kinda nervous around the hotter girls because there intimidating. Doesn't make you a Pussy to not have courage at the time, it just means you might not be ready. When the time comes, you'll know and you'll go for it no matter how embarrassing or crazy you may happen to make yourself look. I once asked this girl out at work, and she gave me the "Look, your a nice guy...." speech, so basically shit happens.
    Last edited by Delete; Dec 21, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
    Forget Backspacing, Delete that S***

Another fail Friday night for me on the girls topic. And I knew them too.

Dear internet: Please learn the difference between "you're" and "your", also "they're", "there" and "their". In exchange I will try and perfect my "its" and "it's" instead of the 60/40 shot I do now.

New Year's: No one knows what is going on yet. The person's place we've gone to the past few years can't hold a party since he is in an apartment instead of a house this year.

Blizzard: I could have used about 12 inches less of snow. Thanks.

And yes, Delete, you definitely could have gone without saying those last few parts.

Another fail Friday night for me on the girls topic. And I knew them too.
    Ah, things will eventually work out.

Or you could go all-out douchebag. That's what one of my friends did and it managed to kind of work for him. The only downside is - well, everybody thinks he's a douchebag now and he hasn't realized it.

I love how in theory, teamwork always seems like the best thing in the world. In practice though, everyone wants the spotlight, everyone wants to get as much reward as possible while putting in the least amount of effort.

So it basically comes down to either: You take on the whole leader role and assign roles to people and become the arsehole of the group WHIPPING everyone into shape OR you do several individual viewpoints on one subject with a very clear message that communication between the group had failed.

In my all of my years at University, I had three group projects to complete each year. I was fortunate in my first year that there was a strong team of people WILLING to work so we got some excellent marks. As the years went on and I got different groups, there were people that just didn't want to work. One wouldn't make a poster, one wouldn't research into a specific field (even though it could have just been Googled...) whilst another never showed up until two days before submission and wanted in.

Having said that though, it's so easy to take the back burner and be very lazy in strong team projects or when people just take over and do all of the work. Especially if you're tired.

I really understand about the commuting though - I commuted for two hours to get to my University for ten minute lectures and two minute group meetings that would consist of me and another member that lived an hour away... the three people that lived RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO THE UNIVERSITY rarely showed up.

But sometimes, you're just too nice to them.

My Mechanical Engineer lecturers all had their submission dates at the same time during the day - so there'd be seventeen submissions all on Friday by over 100 students at 4pm. Yeah, good planning guys. Even moreso that you have to sign your name, put the submission in a specific pigeon hole, get a receipt for it, ensure that any media is also marked and submitted in a different department and finally, attend all lectures because the all important lecture/subject is left until the last Friday of the term.

Yeah, smart thinking - over 90% of students aren't organised enough to have all of their work completed and submitted in the 20 minute lunch break that we are given.

The really nice kick in the teeth is that my submission at 16:01 counts as a late hand-in which is Monday hand in. Oh yeah... we get a 10% penalty per day we're late... Wave bye-bye 30%..!!

Friday to Monday counts as 3 days? Ouch.

If you are a truck driver, please know how high your truck is and watch for signs saying the height limit for the road.

Plows: If you go around my street the "wrong" way, it works out so much better for everyone on the street. It is not like we get cops or traffic on our street, especially during/after snow.

And yes, Delete, you definitely could have gone without saying those last few parts.
    I edited it out

It looked to freaky
    Forget Backspacing, Delete that S***

Learn to drive. Learn what lane you are supposed to be in. If there is someone directing traffic, follow what he says, don't ignore him if he is telling you to stop.

Dear makers of DualDiscs: Why did you make them so they re limited in the CD drives that can play them?

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    Ah, things will eventually work out.

Or you could go all-out douchebag. That's what one of my friends did and it managed to kind of work for him. The only downside is - well, everybody thinks he's a douchebag now and he hasn't realized it.
    I can't pull that off, especially to people who knew me before.
    Last edited by Ketchup345; Dec 23, 2009 at 01:45 AM.