Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast

If it is gonna be a new Phantasy Star, It should be released for:

PC/Mac/PS3
    Nintendo Switch: 5668-1176-9106

Lol Mac. That definitely not gonna happen.
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom

Quote Originally Posted by Anon_Fire View Post
    If it is gonna be a new Phantasy Star, It should be released for:

PC/Mac/PS3
    That would mean SEGA didnt learn from their mistakes from PSU. Next Phantrasy Star game should be PC/XBOX360
    is better than

Quote Originally Posted by tadtwisted View Post
    That would mean SEGA didnt learn from their mistakes from PSU. Next Phantrasy Star game should be PC/XBOX360
    Indeed, one of the biggest flaws in Phantasy Star Universe's core was the fact that the development was held for three separate platforms - the "base" platform being the oddest one out (and the weakest, technologically-speaking) - really prevented the game from being what it should've been on that level.

On the other hand though, by utilizing common architectures that are used in Xbox 360 development, both a PC and Xbox 360 version of the game could be developed simultaneously with minimal changes having to be made to game between them (mostly things like implementing more scaling options for the PC side of things, and the few hardware-specific things that would need to be done on the Xbox 360).

Unless they make a world-class multiplatform engine like Capcom's MT Framework (which... the Hedgehog Engine is actually pretty impressive, on its own merit; they could use that), then this would probably be the best option. For all we know, that "360 action game" they've been teasing might be a new Phantasy Star game.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Ideally, next PS game would be PC/PC/PC.

Also there is roughly zero chance this countdown will have anything to do with Phantasy Star.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezodagrom View Post
    Lol Mac. That definitely not gonna happen.
    As STEAM comes out for Mac... its not impossible but it could happen.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?

^I totally agree with Kent & tadtwisted's commons sense. Developing on ps2 linked with pc only because of its largest user base present in the world did not guarantee its success in the West.

You know what'd be fair? how about next PS game on PC/Xbox360 linked and PS3 separate on its own PSN this time around, because it's pain in behind to code for PS3 and it's not so much superior to 360 from looking at multi-platform games released on both so far.

Anyways, I've been google translating teaser site hints since 'day 8':

06-count.
    Sights with lots of mixed feelings too much trouble, but is expected to want to be expected.

I count 07.
    I notice many sites, but these are temporary
    I recently much in sight.

08 counts! What do you like what you expected.
    "Action" is where the subtle (laughs)

I take it that it's leaning towards something big that's been expected for a while now, what else could it be other than Phantasy Star?

Quote Originally Posted by PepperCat View Post
    As STEAM comes out for Mac... its not impossible but it could happen.
    Mac isn't a gaming platform, and, compared to the PC, it has worse hardware for an higher price. I don't think there are many gamers that would buy a Mac, when the PC runs games better for a lower price.
    Also Steam is coming for Linux, should ST do it for Linux as well?

Another thing about gaming on a Mac, early tests show that Portal on a Mac has around 25~50% lower frames per second compared to a Windows PC, while both using the same hardware. Some of the blame might be Mac only using OpenGL, while Windows uses DirectX, or also the drivers might not be optimized for games yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tadtwisted View Post
    Having it for only XBox360 and PC is highly unlikely, since the main market for an online Phantasy Star game is Japan, where the PS3 is alot more used than the XBox360.
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Indeed, one of the biggest flaws in Phantasy Star Universe's core was the fact that the development was held for three separate platforms - the "base" platform being the oddest one out (and the weakest, technologically-speaking) - really prevented the game from being what it should've been on that level.

On the other hand though, by utilizing common architectures that are used in Xbox 360 development, both a PC and Xbox 360 version of the game could be developed simultaneously with minimal changes having to be made to game between them (mostly things like implementing more scaling options for the PC side of things, and the few hardware-specific things that would need to be done on the Xbox 360).

Unless they make a world-class multiplatform engine like Capcom's MT Framework (which... the Hedgehog Engine is actually pretty impressive, on its own merit; they could use that), then this would probably be the best option. For all we know, that "360 action game" they've been teasing might be a new Phantasy Star game.
    I absolutely agree with the multiplatform issue. Personally, i don't see them doing a 360-only release of this game. There aren't many 360-exclusive JP MMOs that exist, and thats for a good reason -- the popularity of the system in that country. Im not sure about PC gaming (it isn't that popular either, but could have changed in the years since PSU was released) PS3 has been getting increasingly popular, however, and is the stronger of the two current-gen platforms.

About the graphics engine...they haven't said yet, but the Hedgehog Engine doesn't seem to have been made for PC. Also, the Hedgehog Engine runs better on PS3 than on 360. In Sonic Unleashed, the 360 version's target framerate was 30FPS, while the PS3 version had moments that dipped upwards of 60. (Not often, but it happened.) They were also able to render more effects in the PS3 version on top of the framerate jump. Not like this matters, though -- the game can always just be downgraded to run smoothly on both systems. If Final Fantasy XIII can do it, so can everyone else. (While PS3 version of FFXIII definitely looks better, nobody is going to call the 360 version ugly, are they?)

While Phantasy Star is ment to have beautiful environments, im not entirely sure if it would be more taxing on a system than Sonic Unleashed would. Well, maybe if you implement special effects and Technics/techniques, but still. Unleashed was well detailed, and had a draw distance through the roof. The Hedgehog Engine would be absolutely perfect for Phantasy Star's stylish and realistic art style. While the graphics in PSU are average at best, the character models were very well done. I'd look forward to seeing what they'd do with the Hedgehog Engine on a PS3/360 exclusive.

So yeah, it depends on what they do. The Hedgehog Engine was designed for simultaneous production for the Xbox 360 and PS3, so that knocks that out. Microsoft, however, seems to have problems with sharing servers with people, so they screw that up pretty effectively. Final Fantasy XIV, however, is a PS3/PC game, so perhaps that'll happen.

I personally dont care for 360 anymore, seeing as mine just broke. Xbox Live is amazing, but the system is highly unreliable in terms of longevity. If my 360 was working right now, i'd be playing PSU online right now. But since it broke almost as soon as the summer started, im giving my new PS3 some love.
    Last edited by RemiusTA; May 17, 2010 at 03:08 PM.

Heh, I won't change my mind, console exclusive should be the way to go, PSU and FFXI are the only MMOs on console, that's why PSU360 is kind of a success, no competition, and that doesn't seem to change in the near future, since most announced MMO for the console have been cancelled. And having a single worldwide server for 360 and PS3 would be great, but that's something only square is allowed to do....