Default Kuda's Gunpla Scrap Heap

Ah, the old stomping ground.

I've been pretty chill on the whole Phantasy Star outfit for some time now. In the mean time, I've found myself getting back into Gundam stuff. If you don't know too much about the whole Mobile Suit franchise, some of the things I say wont mean anything to you. In that case, I will just post some nifty mech pictures and you can just look at that.

(note that my camera flash is too bright and is now out of batteries... going to take better shots later today)

So, my first paint project, an SD Nu Gundam kit.

I used this as my first painting experiment rather than a normal model to test the water pretty much. Have to say it didn't turn out half bad. I would have had taken more photos, but this little guy is sitting on my desk at work now. Can't have a camera at work either (oooo, stealing company secrets!)

My latest project, a 1/144 scale RGM -89 Jegan from the Mobile Suit Nu Gundam: Char's Counterattack movie. I love grunt designs, so I decided to pick this one up while parusing the paint racks at my local hobby shop. Instead of the standard baby-puke/grandma's wallpaper color, I decided to give it a custom paint job.

Turned out fairly decent. Note that the left arm is missing. BATTLE DAMAGE! Naw, the left arm joint was a little stuck from the paint job and actually broke off. I'm going to head out later and pick up a bottle of crazy glue to stick it back on. I'll post some new pictures once that's done.

As for the paint job, decided to go with sort of a GM Sniper feel to it and used an Olive Drab. The rest I used a gloss black, and touched up some of the details with some bronze. I'm really happy with how the bronze looks. I'll snap some photos of the back later, because that's where all the vernier engine hotness is . I also intend to work on the room lighting for the photos, because the current ones really don't give this model the justice it deserves.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll probably periodically update this here for kicks. I have a few other models lying in wait. Next ones to come: 1/100 Tallgeese I (Gundam Wing), SD Zeta Gundam (Zeta Gundam) and a very beautiful Master Grade GN-X from Gundam 00.

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

Ogi, that almost old Japanese man designation name robot dude who looks like a HUcast and plays like a RAcast with the guns, would be proud to stand among your Gundams, and wouldn't mind you not being on the Phantasy Star tip.

He might also approve of your Gundanium Armor plating paint jobs.

& know what its like to have some parts missing.

Heh, I have an old High Grade Deathscythe model on a shelf here, never got around to painting it.

...I waste my money on wargames miniatures instead, but the premise is the same- I spend hours with paintbrushes, super glue, pinning drills and god-knows what else

Nice paintjobs on the figures though, being a model painter myself I know how long this kinda stuff can take to do well. (Just spend 3 days on one figure )

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

Snapped a few more photos of my new Jegan model. Note that I still suck with the camera (might have something to do with the model's gloss coat).

Front View:

Rear View (better look at the verniers):

A few quick shots of my next project:

Just need to buy the paint now

WOw! THat's so cool..!

Spray..? Air brush, right..? Man... I want to do this kind of thing... aren't thy kind of expensive..?

I'm in Hong Kong at the moment as well so... I should really pick up some models and some airspray kit and stuff.... do... want... to...make.. and paint... models..!

Nice work on the SD - I really like how smooth they turn out to be! What paint do you use..? Acrylic? Enamel? SOmething else..?

After looking at those recent pics, I'm wondering if certain parts of the model could use a highlight colour? For example the gun (may already have a highlight, not sure) could use a drybrushing of grey/silver along the edges, just to bring them out a little more. The last pic looks like it is highlighted already, so I can't tell.

Just a suggestion really from someone who does a similar hobby. I don't know what kinda paints you use though, as I've never painted actual Gundam models.

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

Quote Originally Posted by biggabertha View Post
    WOw! THat's so cool..!

Spray..? Air brush, right..? Man... I want to do this kind of thing... aren't thy kind of expensive..?

I'm in Hong Kong at the moment as well so... I should really pick up some models and some airspray kit and stuff.... do... want... to...make.. and paint... models..!

Nice work on the SD - I really like how smooth they turn out to be! What paint do you use..? Acrylic? Enamel? SOmething else..?
    I've mostly been using acrylic spray paint and hand painting small parts and details with small acrylic paint pots. Each can of paint has run me a good $8 CAD with small pots costing about 3.50. It took me about 3 cans of spray to fully coat my Jegan. The brand I've been using is Tamiya, which seems to be one of the more preferred paint types for mech models (at least from what I've read). I do eventually want to get an airbrush, but it will be some time before that happens.

The models themselves are somewhat inexpensive in comparison to the amount of paint I've bought. These are the prices I've been paying on average in Canadian, but you should be able to get them a lot cheaper in Hong Kong while you're there.
    SD are under $10
    1/144 scale from $15-$25
    1/100 High Grade from $30-$50
    1/100 Master Grade from $40-$70

Quote Originally Posted by Neith View Post
    After looking at those recent pics, I'm wondering if certain parts of the model could use a highlight colour? For example the gun (may already have a highlight, not sure) could use a drybrushing of grey/silver along the edges, just to bring them out a little more. The last pic looks like it is highlighted already, so I can't tell.

Just a suggestion really from someone who does a similar hobby. I don't know what kinda paints you use though, as I've never painted actual Gundam models.
    There are some nice weathering kits available that help give some nice highlights and shades, but I haven't given them much thought up until now. The same with drybrushing techniques. I've been slowly improving my skills with modelng over the past few months so I think I might be ready to give this a shot.

Get with Kuda drawings!!

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."