Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb SH Humilias for HU's w/o Protects

Hi, I've been lurking for a while, but have never felt the need to register and post
    a response...until now.

For the record, my character is a 94 HUcast. I have only logged a little over a
    hundred hours, so I do not claim to be an expert, but I feel I can still share my
    knowledge on this subject since I CAN beat him.

How to Beat Humilias on Super Hard as a Hunter

THE FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO EQUIP SLOW AND ICE PROTECTS.
    AFTER THAT YOU ARE FREE TO FILL IN THE OTHER TO SLOTS IN YOUR 7 STAR
    ARMOR WITH WHATEVER YOU WANT. I PREFER TO USE A DIVINE/too_rare_for_u
    AND DIVINE/I'm_so_leet. FOR A WEAPON, YOU CAN USE JUST ANY OLD THING
    WITH Celeb 5 AND +75% MACHINE.

Joking aside, do check out the other guides.
    Pokerealm's: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172498
    King_Yoshi42's: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171975

Both recommend Slow and Ice Protects, of which I have neither.
    I hoped it might be helpful for those having trouble with Humilias (particularly the newbies to SH)
    if I shared my tactics and insights.

Now, let's begin!

Regrettably, you must first grit your teeth and jump right into the fight. (Put any
    Scape Dolls in the bank for now, please.) The key is to learn his attack patterns
    and how to avoid them. Take note of the details, for instance, how long is the
    "aim" animation between the time he stops hovering and when he fires his first
    shot? How long does it take him to switch from one arm cannon to the other?
    Keep in mind that this is Super Hard mode and not Walk_in_the_Park_Free_Loots
    Mode. The designers intended for this to be a challenge. You can't be slacking off
    just because you beat Normal and Hard.

After clearing the Plant, you can jump directly into the boss battle as many times
    as you care to tolerate. The only cost of this that I can tell is that each death
    lowers your Mag's Synchro. Yes, your Mag may hate you by the time you are
    done. If your little buddy is max level, you can bring his Synchro back up later by being
    an all-around badass, i.e. killing hostiles. Since you have made it to Super Hard, I
    should hope Meseta isn't an issue, so restocking on Mono- and Di- mates and
    fluids (and Heal Traps for Casts) should be a non-issue. (Hold on to your Trimates
    for now, please, unless you’re loaded, in which case have at it.)

Now Practice Practice Practice!

When you feel you have a good grasp of the fight, and are ready to make
    serious-face attempt, take out a Scape Doll or three and use all health restoring
    items freely (remember that Star Atomizers are still +50% HP whether it hits your
    teammates or not...use them as needed. Casts, PLEASE do not forget your Heal
    Traps AKA SolMoonStarScapedoll Atomizers.)

And now some useful information / tips:

- Naturally, whenever Humilias is hovering you should be chasing him to hide
    underneath/behind him. Keep in mind that he will try to turn and face you later in
    the fight.

- After he punches the ground, he (usually) jumps straight backwards. Use this to your
    advantage and have a charged PA waiting for him. (Besides, if you are in melee
    range when he does his punch you will get hit / knocked down, not to mention
    quite a ways away when he starts hovering again.

- Later in the fight he will sometimes NOT punch the ground after the lasers and
    immediately start hovering again.

- Dodge Roll can be your friend here, but don't use it if too far away: the
    cooldown lag on it can make you an easy target. When you know the
    timing/startup lag on his attacks, you can save the roll 'til the last second.
    Remember that you are invincible at the very beginning of the roll, so you can
    resist a laser hit. This is not the case at the end of the roll.

- If the Tard Squad is with you, make sure to issue the "Safety First" command.
    (You only need to issue it once per dungeon, not each fight.) This will make them
    good for a Resta or two. (Maybe an Anti if you’re lucky, but don’t count on it)

- WHEN the Tard Squad dies (not IF,) don't try to revive them*. This is a waste of
    time. The risk you put on yourself is not worth the small benefit they provide.

*However, I do usually find ample time at the beginning of a split phase to use a
    Moon Atomizer from the pause menu. (L-trigger + Pause takes you directly to the
    item screen) Star Atomize if desired, but Sarisa and Kai usually pop an Alresta as
    soon as they are up.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Have a shield! (preferably with Bull Smash)
    With a shield equipped, holding the L trigger causes your character to raise it in
    front of him/her. This will turn any frontal* attack or spell into a guard, at the cost
    of a small amount of PP (about 10-50, depending on the absorbed attack's
    strength.)

*Direct hits will always be absorbed (PP permitting). But note that after the first,
    Humilias' lasers may meander off target - lasers aimed at the shoulder region will
    bypass a raised shield.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

- For the first half-ish part of the fight, use your weapon of choice. Pokerealm's
    guide recommends a Claw with Serpent Air – I have seen it used to great effect on
    a free play run…use it if you got it. I happen to have an Ainsraiffe with Over-End.
    Whatever floats your boat.

- At the beginning of the second split phase, swap your weapon for a shield. You
    can survive a hit from Chaos and Mobius. You cannot survive a full endgame laser
    barrage. (R trigger + Start takes you directly to the equip menu.)

- Having said that, the beginning of the split phase is the best time for any
    necessary “housekeeping” tasks. Weapon swaps and single-use items have
    already been mentioned, but this is also the best time for an emergency Palette
    switcheroo. (e.g. you have used up all of your Monomates, so take this time to
    swap in Trimates.)

- As hinted at above, the less HP Humilias has, the more laser shots fired per
    attack. Mother Trinity help you if he catches you with that first frost shot. It is
    still a OHKO on me if every shot hits (1044 HP – 0 HP.)

- Musical Tiles. Try to stay near an unlit square as the attack charges, then shuffle
    over to it when the angry tiles start flashing.

- Safety Dance! When he sets off all 9 tiles at once, they are not in sync. (did you
    take note of that during the practice runs?) A skilled player (not me) can find a
    premature blaster and hop to it before the one underneath goes. Getting
    knocked over or frozen by these in the endgame means Humilias can get away
    from you which means you'll soon be feasting on lasers which usually means
    death. If you don't dance then you ain't no friend of mine...and you die...UNLESS...

- A raised shield will absorb a tile blast.

to reiterate,

- Holding L with a shield equipped (and at least 50-ish PP remaining) will
    protect you from the flashing tiles.

“So I saved myself from the floor's wrath, he STILL got away and I'll soon be
    dining on a feast of lasers...so much for that.”

- If Humilias has gotten away from you and you know you can't make it to safety
    in time, back up a bit, face him head on, and raise your shield. If the positioning
    gods favor you, strafing can keep you from avoiding all the lasers. If they hate
    you, you might take a laser to the shoulder, which can bypass a shield's area of
    happy. I find shoulder hits to be rather rare, though, and if you can block at least
    a couple lasers, you will probably live to munch some 'mates.

IMPORTANT: Take note of the cooldown lag on your attacks and dodge roll.
    You can't defend yourself until any previous animations are finished. Give yourself
    ample time to raise your shield when you anticipate taking a hit.

- Do keep an eye on your PP. No PP means no Happy. I normally hotkey Difluid
    before the fight in case of emergency. You can still access the “R Palette” while
    defending with L, but this will also activate your Photon Blast if it is charged.
    While you are untargetable in Photon Beast form, you can still take damage in
    the summoning bananagram. Exercise caution.

- To finish him off, just attack as before. Bull Smash is nice here because of its
    200% attack power modifier, wider area of effect, and rather short charge time. It
    hits twice, so that's four solid hits if you hit both legs.

- When he goes kamikaze, don't rely on your shield to save you. You will be in
    melee range so he can easily swerve around behind behind a raised shield and
    blast ya. I usually try to run away from him while mashing my Dimate or Trimate
    button.

That’s pretty much all my observations on the fight. My apologies for the course
    tone at the beginning, it’s just advising the protects seems less “guide” and more
    “How to make the Humilias fight easy mode.”

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

In Summary:

1) Take time to learn Humilias' movement and attack patterns before making a
    "serious" attempt. It took me about 7 tries to get all the timings right.

2) Right after he splits into Chaos and Mobius is a good time to access your
    start menu. Be quick though, you will still be taking damage.
    L + Start = Items
    R + Start = Equip

3) Swap to a Shield midway through the fight. (2nd split phase is when I do it)

4) Hold L to Shield block.
    - A raised shield will defend you from the tile blasts. (Direction unimportant)
    - A raised shield will defend you from direct hits by lasers. (Front only)
    - Blocking consumes PP: About 10 for a weak attack and up to 50 for strong attacks.

5) Don't get your hopes up for a Milias Breaker to drop. The more you want it, the less likely it will appear.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thanks for all corrections/feedback!

Regards,

Benny
    Last edited by Bennyhucast; Feb 24, 2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Nice-ified

One little correction;

On SH, he doesn't always jump straight back after firing his lasers (lol), he can go in (I think) any direction. On Normal and Hard, however, he does only go backwards.

Great guide, other than that! I mostly skimmed through the rest of it so I would remember what I needed to say...if I find anything else (which I doubt, good job!) I'll tell you.

Actually, my strategy fighting him is usually me running up to him and pounding the crap out of his feet while he is shooting his lasers, and running back for when he pounds the ground. For the panels, I just take the hits, focusing on staying under him (I have Protect/Freeze, so I guess I'm kinda cheating ^.^").

BTW, I'm a HUnewm level 88, but I haven't fought him by myself since around the 70s...

I find it VERY beneficial to revive the 'Tard Squad' (consisting of Sarisa, Kai, and Reve), but I have Moon Atomizers set on my pallette (sp?). I usually use Resta-Heavy-Normal, Anti-Shifta-Dodge Roll/Difluids (depending on what I had it at last) for my pallette. They don't do much, but not much is better than none, and they distract him very often. The small amounts of health Sarisa/Kai heal has actually saved me a couple times...but relying on it is just stupid, I know. Either way, I like keeping them alive, even if they are going to die very shortly after. Usually, if they die after I run out of Moon Atomizers, I'll just leave them, unless he splits up...then I'll charge up my Anti...

I think that's about it now...
    Last edited by lavisblade; Feb 23, 2010 at 08:52 PM.

75% machine?!?
    Dobbin: 88 HUmar
    Deco: 96 FOnewm (Main)
    Dopples: 60 RAcaseal

Friend to the Code: 2021 0174 3875

You can't have 75%, he was just using it as a joke...keep reading...

Too long for me.
    It needs a TL;DR

Excellent Guide. I had no idea shields could own the floor like that.

West, far West like middle of the freaking Pacific Ocean, kind of West.

Lol at the use of "Tard Squad"
    Skorm - M Beast - Lvl 55 - H7/R1/F1/V1
    Hoku - F CAST - Lvl 19 - H1/R1/F1/V3

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbin View Post
    75% machine?!?
    ya dood, terhes a chnce 4 teh bakery in nrml Valley 2 B upgrayded 2 teh DONUT SHOP!!!1!!1 dere's a wpn vender der wit 5 randum wpns, eech haz 75% in a diffrent catagorey an da fif has 33% on em all, dey cost 10,000,000 eaech but dats peenuts imo. the ting is u cn't use a wpn or B hit by NE attakz 4 it 2 aapier. goud luck dood!

also, RE: the guide

TL;DR - You are clearly too lazy and/or not that desperate to beat Humilias.

I'll edit it in for ya

To everyone else, thanks for the positive feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Bennyhucast View Post
    ya dood, terhes a chnce 4 teh bakery in nrml Valley 2 B upgrayded 2 teh DONUT SHOP!!!1!!1 dere's a wpn vender der wit 5 randum wpns, eech haz 75% in a diffrent catagorey an da fif has 33% on em all, dey cost 10,000,000 eaech but dats peenuts imo. the ting is u cn't use a wpn or B hit by NE attakz 4 it 2 aapier. goud luck dood!

also, RE: the guide

TL;DR - You are clearly too lazy and/or not that desperate to beat Humilias.

I'll edit it in for ya

To everyone else, thanks for the positive feedback
    What are you trying to say? Normally, I cannot read a bit and understand your sentences. Don't post something don't even is in ENG please.
    Ya, this guide contains some good tactic. But, against Humulias. All the thing you need is always walk under it's body. Anything beside it. Not really important.

Funny, I am lazy.

I still think there should be a shortened version of this.

But whatever