Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

All right then, sorry for my previous advice.

You want to guntech correct? Since techs suck so bad, you'll want to be FO if you want your techs to match your guns in damage.

Stick with a Rod, Bow, and Twin Handguns/Cards. The rod is for tech damage, the Bow is for linear mobs, the twin handgun is for single mobs. Cards are very situational but have a lot of potential in the situations they are good (twin hopping bosses anyone? but shhh it's a secret that cards pwn the living tar out of them).

However I HIGHLY RECOMMEND some melee to be effective. Use Shizuru's Twin Daggers for refilling PP since it regenerates about 100 PP + natural PP regen in one full normal combo. Let's not forget that twin daggers cost very little for FO's to use. A whip's normal combo is too slow and if there's only a couple monster it will regenerate less PP than Shizuru's Twin Daggers would. Even with multiple monsters I doubt the whip will gain much more PP than Shizuru's Twin Daggers would.

Last time I checked Guntechers don't spam traps either ! It's clear the OP is gravitating towards powerful things with such a strong desire to use traps (the 2nd most broken thing in the game).

Why are Braver and Ranger bad choices for Gunteching (there's no need to mention HU)? The reasoning is very simple:

Braver - You'll realize that everything will die to traps. Why use Guns and Techs? When you have to use Guns or Techs, you'll realize it takes 4 times longer to kill the said thing with techs than guns. If you DO use primarily attack techs over guns, it'll be almost entirely for cosmetic purposes. It is more accurate to say that you'd be "TrapGunning".
    Ranger - You'll realize that 1/2 the things will die to traps (since you still have 4 Burn EX's). When you have to use Guns or Techs, you'll realize it takes 10 times to kill the said thing with techs than guns. If you DO use primarily attack techs over guns, it's because you have a lot of time to spare, enjoy being frustrated when things kill you and when they don't die, or are in a party where everyone else can kill everything for you. It is more accurate to say that you'd be GunTrapping".

Force is a good choice because there will be many opportunities that techs will outperform guns and guns will outperform techs. This way you have an incentive to use techs besides the "techs look cool" reasoning or the "I want to guntech" reasoning.

Similar TP vs ATP/ATA does not mean that techs and guns will perform similarly. Techs are so underpowered that you could multiply a Newman FO's TP by 1.5 and it still won't outperform Death or Traps.
    Last edited by Deragonite; Feb 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM.

With the lowest ATP, lowest ATA, and lowest bullet cap, Force will suffer heavily as Ranger. And since guns naturally have low ATA, not only will you have trouble missing but when you do hit your damage will be incredibly low due to the ATA multiplier.

Bows are never worth using. In the situation where you want long range single target damage, a rifle is better. In a situation where you don't need the long range, every other gun (minus shadoogs) is better. In the situation where you want linear damage, laser cannons (or even Barta, Zonde, and Megid) are better just because of the time needed to build up the combo and charge shot. This will make the already bad situation of PP drain coupled with more PP drain even worse.

As far as tech damage, just attach it to triangle. Guns build up chains faster than anything else and a chain-breaking tech is stronger than any charge shot. Combine this with the fact that you can get 3 techs in rather than 2 full-charge shots and it's a significant difference. (There are some exceptions to this rule, of course.) The main problems will be lag switching weapons and other people breaking the combo first online. It's a fair strategy that I would recommend to anyone with the desire to Guntech.

Yes, you have 4 Burn EX traps as an option as Ranger. Use them to make the boss or 4 large mobs even easier. The other 80% of your run, stick to Gunteching.

But I do agree on adding some melee for the PP drain plus more PP drain combo. Twin daggers, double sabers, spears, and slicers are decent options as Ranger or Force. All of them will give you fast and easy PP regeneration.

As far as tech damage, just attach it to triangle. Guns build up chains faster than anything else and a chain-breaking tech is stronger than any charge shot. Combine this with the fact that you can get 3 techs in rather than 2 full-charge shots and it's a significant difference. (There are some exceptions to this rule, of course.) The main problems will be lag switching weapons and other people breaking the combo first online. It's a fair strategy that I would recommend to anyone with the desire to Guntech.
    What techniques do you use to end combos? I do about equal to more damage from a charged shot compared to a technique.(i usually use the long range spells that hit aoe to end a combo)
    Reality hits like a baseball bat, duck-taped to a bus thats moving very fast!
    Japanese body pillows - Why not go the next mile and buy a blow up doll?
    Old people, they may look friendly but can you really trust them?
    Light-Blessed Crusader's Divine Rainbow Hand of Just Righteousness
    http://www.vat19.com/dvds/worlds-largest-gummy-bear.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by kongajinken View Post
    What techniques do you use to end combos? I do about equal to more damage from a charged shot compared to a technique.(i usually use the long range spells that hit aoe to end a combo)
    I take it back. You're right. I miscalculated apparently.

Yea they really screwed over techniques in this game.

At least in PSO when you casted a spell it was guaranteed to hit everything in the room including breaking all the boxes.

Techs are terrible that's why I said use FO if you wanna "Guntech" .

Anyway, here are some tips on teching:

Keep in mind the following! As a FO, you will be standing still everytime you cast a tech. REMEMBER THIS WELL. Whenever you decide to use a tech, you are putting yourself in a completely vulnerable position for a period of time. Unlike melee which has movement, you cannot use the PA's movement to dodge enemy attacks. This is why Ohgamons and tech spitters are in all actuality MORE dangerous to FO's than to HU/BR/etc.

Gi-techs are probably the most UNIQUE thing that FO's have that other classes don't. Gi-techs can build up a 2 chain on 6(?) targets surrounding you. When dealing with a large group of monsters, I personally do the following (Gizonde/Gidiga/Gibarta on Square, Gizonde/Gidiga/Gibarta on Triangle). Use to Squares to build up a 1 Chain, and then use Triangle Triangle Triangle. This is the highest DPS to groups I could think of as FO.

As far as everything else, I don't have time to tell what I know atm.

Scholar of Arcane Arts RuneseekerMireille's Avatar

Thank you for all of this input. I've been tinkering around (while trying to get Photon Boosters) and it seems that I will probably be going Ranger. Are bows really that bad? I really like them, but if there that much worse than the rifles, then maybe I will use those. And I also notice that Rangers get low Type Extend on Twin Daggers, so I will go on Deragonite's suggestion on that. A few more questions, though:

1. Any reason to use grenades? They seem incredibly weaker than they were in the first game.

2. Any spells suggestions for ending chains? Should they be single target, or AOE?

3. Should I still use buffing/debuffing spells, since they only go to level 15?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneseekerMireille View Post
    Thank you for all of this input. I've been tinkering around (while trying to get Photon Boosters) and it seems that I will probably be going Ranger. Are bows really that bad? I really like them, but if there that much worse than the rifles, then maybe I will use those. And I also notice that Rangers get low Type Extend on Twin Daggers, so I will go on Deragonite's suggestion on that. A few more questions, though:

1. Any reason to use grenades? They seem incredibly weaker than they were in the first game.

2. Any spells suggestions for ending chains? Should they be single target, or AOE?

3. Should I still use buffing/debuffing spells, since they only go to level 15?

Thanks in advance.
    1. I found them to be very weak

3. Every little bit helps and they don't take that long to cast for buffing. debuffing I dont waste my time since stuff dies so fast anyway.

I'm in the same boat as you I absolutely love bows which made me so incredibly disappointed when I realized how bad they actually are.

1. They use TP not ATP for increased damage (as well as accuracy too)
    2. Their charged shot only hits once even if its a line other guns charged hits 3 times.

1. Grenades are weaker, but they're also easier to use. Since they don't have the natural blow away, they're much better for any swarm of close enemies or multi-target boss. The main issue is they run out of PP really fast.

2. Single-target, you're guaranteed to be better off with a twin handgun, shotgun, machinegun, or crossbow. If you're going to use spells, stick to lots of targets that couldn't otherwise be optimized with a gun.

3. Buffs are always good since the store items are level 1 and every class gets level 2. Debuffs are questionable since they miss a lot more than they did in PSU.

If you want to 'Guntech', which is definately the most difficult route in this game, I suggest keeping a Wand with Grants (on X) and Diga (on Y), with a Card or whatever you love using on the off-hand.

You're better off Being a Ranger or Braver; sticking to Rifles, the combo I mentioned above, and Laser Cannon. You won't be able to dynamically switch up your techs because you need to keep yourself safe, keep to projectile Techs unless you are fighting a couple or a single small enemy.

It'll be a lot of fun -- your techs won't be used to do more damage, but to inflict status effects and keep enemies away from you [Grants!]. Though, if you're going to be a Braver, slap on a Shield to go with a wand [with Diga or Grants] or single dagger/saber.

'

Unless you want to heal others around you, Don't learn anything other Resta lv 10!

Edit2: just to be of more help, Burst Shot for the Rifle knocks enemies over, you'll be able to knock over an enemy and attack with a crossbow or if you like, Shotgun.
    Freezing enemies is a great way to keep yourself safe, so the fact that you can have 10 Freeze Traps is very helpful for you.
    Beware that Guns use a LOT of PP, so PP Restorite is a must, and because you'll be very unsafe with techs, PP Escape Save will give you more of a chance to save your life. You can Block with the Rifle, but if it isn't done at the right time (and just reduces damage) the PP you'll lose will probably have you running out of the room to recharge (if you're solo that is).

Because you're a Newman, you'll be safer if you use the escaping effectively more than any other race.

If there are any small issues you have with the character, the easiest way out is to switch up with melee attacks.
    Last edited by Izuna; Mar 1, 2010 at 01:41 PM.