Page 1 of 35 123411 ... LastLast
    THE POWER IS YOURS!!! CaptainPlanet's Avatar

Default Movie: Phantasy Star Prime

Hey guys! Some of you may remember me from the thread about the upcoming PSU-themed fight film. For those of you who followed that topic until it fizzled out, I'm back with a bit of news. First, the bad news. The project has been canceled.

Bummed out? Don't Be! It worked out for the better! Rather than simply creating a fight film with Phantasy Star themed weaponry, my co-producer and I have decided to create a feature-length Phantasy Star movie. I was originally all for the fight film until a few nights ago when I was bored at work and talked to my co-producer, William Hartshorn, on the phone. We were discussing cool ideas for our fight film when he mentioned that he really wanted to work on a project with more narrative. At first, I was optimistically cautious about this idea. The original plan was to make a short film that featured a couple of average guys duking it out with photon weapons. At the time, I felt the best course of action was to keep it simple so that we could appeal to the widest audience possible.

But needless to say, Will planted a seed in my head that night. So, bored at work with nothing to do between rounds, I began to scribble story ideas. It avalanched from one or two cool scene ideas to a rough outline of an entire feature film very quickly. I just got off from my third night of work in a row and I am excited to tell you guys that I have a rough outline for a good and proper Phantasy Star movie fresh out of the printer!

I submitted a copy of the movie outline to Will this morning as he was coming on the job and I was going off. He is going to read it over a few times today and call me later with his thoughts and ideas on the film. I never truly put my writing skills through their paces until these past three nights and I think we have an instant winner on our hands! I was so excited to get home and get this message out to you guys this morning! The only problem is... I wish I could tell you guys everything about the movie so far, I really do! I just don't want to A) spoil the entire movie while it's still in its early production stages, and B) give someone else the chance to take my story material and use it for themselves before we get our movie out to the public.

But alas, I want to share all this material with at least ONE fan here! So that's what I'm going to do. I'm really not sure of an appropriate way to go about this, but if you are not concerned with spoiling the movie for yourself, are trustworthy, and would like to see the rough outline of the story material thus far, send me a PM and I will send you the material to look over. In return, I ask for your honest opinion to be written here in this topic (without spoilers!).

What I CAN tell you about the movie is the following:

* The name of the movie is Phantasy Star Prime.
    * The movie is an original story of the events that take place on Earth from the time the Alisa III arrives to the point where Earthmen destroy Palma.
    * We will be putting a modern twist on the franchise while staying true to the source material.
    * Staying true to the tradition of the franchise, Dark Force (Dark Falz) will play a pivotal villain throughout the movies.
    * There are three main characters, Neon, Michael, and Rose.
    * There will be at least one CAST in the first film alone. After that, there will be hundreds.
    * Neon fills the role of the Hunter.
    * Michael fills the role of the Force.
    * Rose fills the role of the Ranger.
    * Quality over time. It will be done when it's polished to perfection.

Last edited by CaptainPlanet; Jan 9, 2011 at 04:46 AM.

UPDATE: 5/7/10

We've never been so happy to be back in business, especially now that we have a full story, a bigger budget, and a script that is coming together fast! Last night I created this rough cut of the credits. This video is for demo purposes only and is not the final version, as many more people will become involved in the project over time. These are the people and actors that have signed on so far. Enjoy the credits!

Phantasy Star Prime: Ending Credits Demo
    (Please be aware that after dwelling in this idea, that I too agree that the music was a terrible choice, and I have posted a later version just below it, and that even that isn't entirely up to date and does not feature the final version of the credits music. The final version of the credits music is posted below that video.)

Last edited by CaptainPlanet; Oct 14, 2010 at 03:13 AM.

Sounds verrry interesting.

Quite possibly the most un-Phantasy Star song you could have picked.

A demo of the ending credits of a movie?

I'd also have to recommend using music that actually fits the source material.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
    Quite possibly the most un-Phantasy Star song you could have picked.
    I know relay .

Without giving any spoilers, the song lyrics fit perfectly with a main event that happens in the story, and also, I was going for an ending somewhat like that of the end of Transformers. I have also considered just putting an upbeat techno song instead at the end rather than the song presented above. What do you guys think, would that fit better?

EDIT
    You know, after going back and listening to some techno... you guys are right, the song really doesn't fit at much as I felt it did.

I don't want to make any more slip ups with any element of this film so I would like to have two or three of the fans here on the pso-forums to be my 'content advisers'. What I would do is send you the content as it is created so that is triple-checked for consistency with the source material. I have been playing Phantasy Star since Phantasy Star III, but since I am making this movie for the fans mostly, I want to make sure that it meets the fans' standards.

So, if you feel you are well-versed in Phantasy Star details and lore, please write me and I will remain in contact with you until the very end of production, sending you content, footage, scripts, screenplays, etc. You must promise not to leak any of the material we send you however.

That was the problem with Hollywood making video game movies, they didn't work with the people who actually MADE the games, so they wound up butchering the franchise. That is a mistake I do not want to make.

Any takers?
    Last edited by CaptainPlanet; May 8, 2010 at 02:01 AM.

that song was horrible!!
    -LadyDatura

Quote Originally Posted by gratefulgriz View Post
    that song was horrible!!
    I got the jist of it. ^_^; It is being replaced by a much more fitting techno beat. I have a few picked out and one has lyrics. I will probably post separate versions of the previous video, except with the different songs I selected so that I can get a feel of which direction is the right direction. I personally feel that a techno-ish theme fits Phantasy Star much better than the song I used on the video I posted.

EDIT
    By the way, I still haven't gotten any messages in regards to anyone wanting to read over the script for 'fan approval'. If I'm confident that one thing in this movie will deliver, it's the story that has been written for it.
    Last edited by CaptainPlanet; May 10, 2010 at 03:53 AM.

Today I went to the house of my new metalworker/prop maker to meet face-to-face for the first time. All I can say is that I was blown away by this guy, there really is no other way to put it!

I started the meeting by asking him about his past metalworking experience. He has been creating his own knives and working with many different materials for (I forget how many) years. Next, I opened up my laptop and presented him with all the content that we have to offer so far regarding the project, including pictures of all the weapons that we have outlined to be in our movie.

This is where I started getting excited. With every new weapon design that I presented him with, he took around 10 minutes to explain exactly how he would craft each weapon and what materials he would use to make them. The weapons that have moving parts will be fully operational! I wanted to avoid shattering the excitement I'd gained from hearing his plans for the weapons, so I cautiously pointed to a CAST in one of the pictures and said, "I now want to really challenge you. We need one of these for our movie..." Before I could finish what I was saying, he cut me off by saying, "Hang on, I'll be right back." Nearly a minute later, he came back and tossed me a black piece of clothing. I held it up and it turned out to be a spandex-like material with foam padding. It was a vest he designed for use with defensive tactics training in police school. I asked him how this would tie in to the CAST design and he said that he could create a full-body suit of this stuff and then custom-create armor to go over the padding. This suit, obviously, will only fit the actor it's designed for, since he will need the actor present nearly at all times when he is creating the armor so that he can get the sizes of the plates just right. He also has great ideas combining the armor, which he says he will make out of VERY sturdy substances such as Concealex and Kydex, with a different material and a layer system he has in mind so that the actor can last in it much longer without overheating.

This guy is really great, and definitely professional, and he says he can't wait to see his creations in action! So now, without further adieu, I give you the full list of weapons that will be present in Phantasy Star Prime!

Axes:
    Ank Tomho
    Stec Axe

Claws:
    Misaki
    Zanshu-Misaki

Crossbow:
    Yurasogi (Thanks to Patrick's awesome idea for a spring/pin system, the arms will fully extend when the trigger is pulled, and will completely retract and clip into position when the trigger is released!)

Daggers:
    Asami-zashi (1 pair)

Double Saber:
    Double Agito

Handguns:
    Handgun (1 pair)
    Pistatore
    Beamgun
    B'duki Biso

Knuckles:
    Knuckles (1 pair)

Machine Guns:
    Beam Vulcan (1 pair)
    Machinegun
    Muzzlefever

Rifles:
    Assasin
    Raihoh

Sabers:
    Apocalypse
    Exam
    Jitseen
    Seva Cresa

Shotguns:
    Shigga Baret
    Shigga Boma (Patrick wants to make the top 'pop up' a little every time the trigger is pulled for a kind of pressure exhaust effect. If you don't think this is fitting, say so now)
    Shigga Desta

Spear:
    Muktengek (Preferred)
    Mugungri

Sword:
    Sodad

Whip:
    Vish

All the weapons will be painted using a special electroplating technique that chemically bonds the special paint with the metal, allowing it to appear as if the metal is naturally that color, and still retain its natural shine.

Oh, and I've gotten a couple requests to include Sweet Death in the film way back before it became a movie idea. I'm on the fence with that one, but if you want to see Sweet Death in the movie, say so and it may be enough to change my mind.