Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rock Band 3 using semi-real guitars

While I'm no Rock Band junkie, I thought this was cool. There's no way you'd wanna use one of these things as a real guitar though. I also think this would take some fun out of the game for those who can't play guitar. The reason why the game is popular is because you can play your favourite songs without having to touch a real guitar.

Wrap your head around this one: a 150-button guitar peripheral. That's for the pro version of Rock Band 3, whose goal is to actually turn the controllers into something more fitting of actual musicianship in a separate, more advanced "Pro" mode (the core game is still intact for those want it).

First up is the aforementioned two-octave keyboard / keytar, whose difficulty goes from pressing within one of five ranges to actual dead-on notes. For drums, the three cymbals can now actually function as separate notes, sharing three lanes but given their own shape to know which to hit. Guitar, however, is a whole new beast. A $150 Fender Mustang pro (pictured up top) boasts 17 frets and 6 strings of accurate placement for a total of 102 buttons, and six nylon strings that must be plucked individually.

Of course, if that hits the uncanny valley of plastic peripherals too closely, there's a Rock Band 3 Squier Stratocaster that'll be coming out that can actually be used as a real guitar or a Pro model. Vocal melodies from Beatles Rock Band carry over here. No concrete release date; head on over to new Joystiq for the preview, or if you want to see true trendsetters, watch Devo predict this game all the way from 1982 -- that video's after the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/11/r...troller-and-k/

If the set list is good, I'll get it, if not, I won't get it. I'm not really interested in the Pro mode, I'd rather just play a real instrument. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea, I'm sure some people will love it. I just don't think I'd enjoy playing with a controller with over 100 buttons.

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joefro View Post
    I just don't think I'd enjoy playing with a controller with over 100 buttons.
    But what if they controlled a giant mech of destruction like Steel Battalion?

Red eject button: pretty important for survival/save progress.

-

Keytar ownership going up during that release month.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

If I wanted to learn how to play guitar, I'd take lessons. Guitar Hero was fun because it's a game.

Supreme Pantless Commander SpikeOtacon's Avatar

I see this as a good move. The old difficulties aren't going anywhere, they're just adding another mode onto the game that will let the totally nuts go nuts with their cool technical skill or whatever.

She's a summer love in the spring, fall and winter

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeOtacon View Post
    I see this as a good move. The old difficulties aren't going anywhere, they're just adding another mode onto the game that will let the totally nuts go nuts with their cool technical skill or whatever.
    This. The old 'hit coloured buttons' modes are staying. This 'Pro Mode' is designed for people with an interest in learning a real instrument. Don't worry about the game becoming too complex if you don't plan on learning, the old modes remain.

Not sure if you mentioned it, but keyboard players can play old songs too- just using the guitar or bass chart.

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

So does this mean no more YouTube videos of professional musicians failing their own songs on Easy mode?

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    If I wanted to learn how to play guitar, I'd take lessons. Guitar Hero was fun because it's a game.
    Learning is more fun when you have your sound system cranked up and the crowd is cheering at your total awesomeness. That's not going to happen if you're standing in front of people learning how to fiddle with a real guitar. That aside, the fact that you could potentially get into playing the real thing (assuming this works, of course) means that if you're doing this, you'll be getting a real skill in while having fun playing. Essentially double the awesomeness.

I find it interesting that "pro mode" isn't a difficulty setting, but rather, a separate mode with its own set of difficulties, to help ease people into playing it, while at the same time letting them access the songs they want.

I think that this has potential, and I'm considering picking it up at some point (the new guitar that is - the game is probably a definite buy for me, personally).

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quite frankly I'm fucking excited and equally amazing that Harmonix can still push and inovate in the stagnating music genre. Keytar? HEL YEH. The Cure confirmed? HEL YEH throw me some Joy Division and Depche mode and it'll be GOTY hands down.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Learning is more fun when you have your sound system cranked up and the crowd is cheering at your total awesomeness. That's not going to happen if you're standing in front of people learning how to fiddle with a real guitar. That aside, the fact that you could potentially get into playing the real thing (assuming this works, of course) means that if you're doing this, you'll be getting a real skill in while having fun playing. Essentially double the awesomeness.

I find it interesting that "pro mode" isn't a difficulty setting, but rather, a separate mode with its own set of difficulties, to help ease people into playing it, while at the same time letting them access the songs they want.

I think that this has potential, and I'm considering picking it up at some point (the new guitar that is - the game is probably a definite buy for me, personally).
    While I certainly don't discourage using this as a tool to get involved in music, I really have zero interest in using Rock Band as a tutor. It's a game to me. When I feel like playing an instrument, I go play (I'm a drummer). When I want to screw around and just enjoy everything, I play Rock Band.

Anything that get's people involved in music is good, but I have some concerns that this is going to create a lot of players with terrible habits. Playing an instrument is about technique and repetition, and there's a lot more to that than trying to five-star your favorite song. Then again, as long as the pro mode is built around learning, and not just trying to convince you that you're a rock star, it might be alright.

There's also the issue of the instruments. They will certainly be complete rubbish. I have a lot of trouble playing songs on the RB kit that I can play perfectly on a real kit because the RB drum pads have no rebound and the kick isn't even a real kick. Don't even get me started on the insanely retarded snare location. Although I'm sure anyone that gets serious about playing won't play with the RB instruments for long.