Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

EP3 C.A.R.D. Battle King Deadbeard's Avatar

Default Memorable Battles

I know it's been a while but i'm going to ask anyway: To the best of your knowledge, which team (or even single player) gave you the most trouble? Well team wise...i've had lots of great fights, but whenever me and my partner fought against Joanna and Maddux, I always got this nervous-like feeling at the start of every match. Really, because I knew that one wrong move against those two would probably result in a loss lol. I considered myself good, but credit has to be given where it is due, so props to this team for reminding me that no matter how good you are, (or think you are) there's always someone out there that's gonna kick your a@# from time to time! Seriously though, thankyou for many memorable battles. So, what players gave you a hard time?

Jazhara and Malkavian were a formidable team. One wrong move and the match was as good as over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryna View Post
    Jazhara and Malkavian were a formidable team. One wrong move and the match was as good as over.
    Jazhara and Malkavian...Unfortunately I can't say i've ever ran into either one of them before, which is a shame, I love to go against tough teams. Do you remember what type of strategies they liked to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeard View Post
    Jazhara and Malkavian...Unfortunately I can't say i've ever ran into either one of them before, which is a shame, I love to go against tough teams. Do you remember what type of strategies they liked to use?
    It has been over 5+ years since I last played with those guys. I regretfully don't remember specific strategies from those matches. I remember Jazhara posted card strategies in a couple of decks. Here is one of them:
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62869

I also remember playing with Auracom against Fantasy Eve and Sword+75 sometime around the F1 Gran Prix. They asked us to quit the tournament because "we were slowing them down." That didn't turn out well for them.

It has been over 5+ years since I last played with those guys. I regretfully don't remember specific strategies from those matches. I remember Jazhara posted card strategies in a couple of decks. Here is one of them:
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62869

I also remember playing with Auracom against Fantasy Eve and Sword+75 sometime around the F1 Gran Prix. They asked us to quit the tournament because "we were slowing them down." That didn't turn out well for them.
    Yeah, I knew it would be a longshot, remembering strategies from so long ago was unlikely, but me being the EP3 junkie that I am had to ask haha. I looked over that link also, I wish I had a chance to talk strategy with him back when he wrote it. Though in theory, that deck could counter machine spam, that's about all it could do...and there-in lies the problem. So, unless a person was actually silly enough to name their deck/s "Machine spam" you don't actually know when to use that counter deck. Fantasy Eve and Sword+75 haha..two scrubby players I had the pleasure of mopping the floor with several times, I remember them both being sore losers. Slowing them down...what the f#@$? What kind of people says that to their competitors in a tournament? No confidence.

I remember one match where Malkavian was my partner and we were playing against Capricornus and Jazhara. I used a Dark tech-based deck while Malkavian used a Guykild deck. Capricornus used a Break-based tech deck. I remember Jazhara used a Darkside deck.

The game started badly for my team. We were getting bad dice rolls and card draws for the first few turns. Capricornus and Jazhara were making great progress on killing us. We eventually got a 6/6 roll. I summoned a Chaos Sorceror and Malkavian equipped several RA weapons. After that turn, we were able to fight them to standstill. I eventually turned my focus to killing Capricornus. He tried to use Megid twice on my Chaos Sorceror, but failed both times. I killed him on the turn following the second attempt.

That particular match was memorable for a couple of reasons. First, it lasted for over an hour and saw the tide turn a couple of times. Second, it was hilarious seeing Megid fail twice in a row.

I remember one match where Malkavian was my partner and we were playing against Capricornus and Jazhara. I used a Dark tech-based deck while Malkavian used a Guykild deck. Capricornus used a Break-based tech deck. I remember Jazhara used a Darkside deck.

The game started badly for my team. We were getting bad dice rolls and card draws for the first few turns. Capricornus and Jazhara were making great progress on killing us. We eventually got a 6/6 roll. I summoned a Chaos Sorceror and Malkavian equipped several RA weapons. After that turn, we were able to fight them to standstill. I eventually turned my focus to killing Capricornus. He tried to use Megid twice on my Chaos Sorceror, but failed both times. I killed him on the turn following the second attempt.

That particular match was memorable for a couple of reasons. First, it lasted for over an hour and saw the tide turn a couple of times. Second, it was hilarious seeing Megid fail twice in a row.
    And thats what it's all about, isn't it? Being able to overcome bad dice rolls and other circumstances and still win a match against good players gives you a feeling like no other, am I right?

I see you mentioned the Chaos Sorcerer card...card is nasty, a teleporting powerhouse=arks worst nightmare. I hated when people used that card against me. I know for a fact any fights lasting over an hour are bound to be great and with nice team coordination on both sides of the field. Megid is like gambling, you win some, you lose alot more. And the best part is when it fails the user of the card always says you got lucky because it missed...nice logic huh?

Ryna, you obviously were around when the game was online. Did we ever run into eachother? Or even play against one another? Also, what was your favorite setup, Arks or Hunters?
    Last edited by Deadbeard; Jun 20, 2010 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeard View Post
    And thats what it's all about, isn't it? Being able to overcome bad dice rolls and other circumstances and still win a match against good players gives you a feeling like no other, am I right?
    Episode 3 was certainly at its best when you were in an epic match with a competent partner. Winning a match against good players was the most fun you could have on Phantasy Star outside of Challenge Mode.

A lot of people have faulted the game for being purely "luck-based." However, the random nature of it was something you had to account for in your deck construction and what ultimately made the game fun.

Ryna, you obviously were around when the game was online. Did we ever run into eachother? Or even play against one another? Also, what was your favorite setup, Arks or Hunters?
    I remember seeing your character around, but I don't think we played against each other. I liked playing against other PSOW members and tended to avoid Vega. The wide-spread use of Red Slime and Machine/Dark Spam decks by lower-level players was a turn-off after a while.

As for my online history, I started playing right after the game's North American release. I was a very active player up until the end of the Card Revolution Festival (November 2004). After that, I only put a lot of time into the game following the game's last Card Revolution in April 2005. After I got to 100%, there really wasn't much point in making a significant time investment. All of my friends had switched back to playing Episode 1 and 2. It was becoming very difficult just to get a group together for a card auction. I still play through Story Mode on occasion, but the AI doesn't pose much of a challenge.

When I was playing online, I primarily used a Kylria gun deck for about 60% of my co-op and tournament games. I also liked using Ino'lis and Arkz-based tech decks. A properly employed tech deck was a beautiful thing to behold.

Tech setup was my favorite thing to do, and I played arkz about 100% of the time, I just couldn't focus playing hunters for whatever reason. The one beef I had with the whole arkz vs hunter when it came to techs was that hunters had a serious advantage if you really think about it. When it comes to using multiple techs in a single round, a hunter is just 1 person, and can stand there and fire away with sufficient action points. Where as if a ark wasnt to do the same thing, they have to have multiple creatures deployed AND have them positioned properly. Even knowing this, I always found myself using ark tech-based decks almost all the time.

I remember that card revolution when they finally fixed those red slimes and st rappies was great, just about ever change that was made was justified. So I was happy with it. It seems though the population was starting to diminish rapidly at this point and wasn't showing any signs of slowing down, with or without these changes unfortunately.

Saw this, and had to come here.
    I'd had a few really memorable ones. I loved team battles the most. The first time we ran into someone who used Leukon was really something. We screeched at them the whole time, though it did no good, we still lost. Geez, 2 of that thing.

Another memorable/bad was all the times having the other team (or my partner!) fall asleep during the battle. Those suckers took FOREVER to end. Ugh.

Epic?
    Yeah, I once had a 2 hour fight on the uh...that huge board of the destroyed HU base...forget what it was called. They pulled out everything. Delbiters, C-sorc, and kept Gratnsing us (we were arkz & hu) I pulled out a shark (Named Pinky Jr.--Pinky Sr. was a Merlan) and he got kind of stranded in 1 corner. Well if you remember that's the shark who gains atp for everything that dies on the board or how many turns it is out or something but by the time any of them got close to it, it had like a billion ATP and 1 shotted their Hildebear. It was coming for their guy, but they killed him first. The whole thing came down to either megid hitting or them rolling up for grants again. We lost.

I didn't really love the game, but with so much NOTHING going on now, hell yes I'd play it again if it was still around.