46. You may not vote on this poll
  • PS II

17 36.96%
  • PS IV

29 63.04%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS II vs. PS IV

Default PS II vs. PS IV

Well I recently purchased the Genesis collection for my psp. I had played and beaten both games years ago (I'm 33), but this time I did them simultaneously. These games are both fantastic, and really represent the pinnacle of the 16-bit rpg(at least imo).

That being said I feel that Phantasy Star II is the superior game. I will immediately concede that virtually everything about the combat system in PS IV is superior to that of its predecessor! No denying that macros, skills, and combos create a more fluid fighting experience, but offense isn't everything.

PS II is a hard game. The dungeons are intricate and inspired, the enemies are frequent and powerful, and exp/meseta is earned never given. While PS IV showcases the advancement of the series technological, PS II presents a much more enigmatic experience.

Everything in PS II feels more epic from the death of Nei to the showdown with Motherbrain, Alys and the Profound Darkness pale in comparison. Don't even get me started on the endings and soundtrack! I know that this is often a heated debate among fans, and I'd enjoy hearing your opinions.

This should go without saying but from past experience with this site I know it can't, to have a valid opinion on this subject you must have played both of the games in question.

From a technical standpoint, PSIV is the superior game, and easier for the casual gamer, so it will win for most people

On a pure story standpoint and challenge, PSII win hand-down. The feeling of solitude and depression in this game makes it feel like a Greek Tragedy in a Space Opera setting

But for me, I go against all tides, and still like PSIII the best because of its incredible plot twist and its atmosphere...even if its the most flawed game in the series. Since it's not in the option, I guess my vote is void as I like both PSII and PSIV equally

Anyway, currently playing my second playthrough of the Generation remake of PSII, and they managed to make the remake even harder than the original, something we dont see much in this day and age....
    Last edited by Drac_Mazoku; Jul 20, 2010 at 01:26 AM.

No doubt about it. PSII is simply my favorite game I've ever played. I will not rip on PSIII or PSIV because I enjoyed all 3 thoroughly on my Genesis. It still functions and I still play those games every so often when I'm up my cottage in the summer. I confess that I missed PSI. I never bought the Master System or the adaptor to play its games on the Genesis.

I agree with all the positives that both of you pointed out about the PS series. But PSII is probably the sole reason I even got into rpgs and related stuff. In fact, seeing my buddy struggle through it caused me to buy my own Genesis way back then! I think I paid Toys 'R' Us $74 dollars for the PSII cartridge ?????

You got it right-- it's the "feeling" and the gloom in PSII that does it for me. And when you accomplish something or level up, you definitely earned it. The first 2 dungeons can wipe you out quickly! Menobe is worse. No matter how tough you think you are when you get there, the Shadows on the 4th floor will remind you that you're not.

In PSIII, I like the confined 7-zone world plus moons that the three stories take place in. And the generations thing was cool too.

PSIV had the eye candy and the advanced fighting. If you played it hard enough, there were actually were some "rare drops" from certain creatures that your party members could indeed use. The vehicle thing was a bit cheesy but acceptable.

I still cannot criticize any aspect of these games when I account for how many hours of entertainment they've given me (and still do).

But PSII is my final pick for the best of the best.

Oh yeah: In PSIII: did anyone actually ever encounter a Swivlbot, Twistbot, or Rotabot?? (an enemy and its 2 reskins which I have never encountered--they are in the creature index of the hintbook)
    Last edited by voodlar; Jul 23, 2010 at 10:25 PM.

Wait... There's a collection of the origional PS games for the PSP? Then I just might have to get that.

Its just a port of the Sega Genesis collection available on all systems(although I like it best on psp) it has II, III, IV sadly if you want PS I you will need an emulator, the Master system copy, or the GBA Phantasy Star collection.

Personally I think PS4 was just a better play experience. The story was told better through the use of manga and Alys's death had just as much impact as Nei. Nei's death came swiftly and it felt like a drive by shooting. Alys you had no idea if she was going to survive and she eventually went a few hours later. I'm split in terms of music, especially when you consider the instrumentation change they made crossing to the west for PS2. Loud beats were changed to muted beats

I'll never understand why PS3 is considered the worst. If anything I'd say that goes to Phantasy Star Adventure. It does nothing to advance the main storyline from what I can see. At least with Gaiden you get an Epilogue of sorts for PS1 and the PS2 Text Adventures give back story to the characters in PS2. PS3 still advances the story albeit after PD is already dead.

@Gibdozer: Well, I already downloaded PS I for my Wii, so I'm set, I suppose.

Alys was enough reason for me to like PSIV a lot (I'm mostly joking :P ). I could sit here and give reasons as to which I like more, but that would probably take me a while... I think I'm probably partial to IV.

Don't get me wrong. I was there day 1 for PS2, but after experiencing PS4 when it came out (after I actually enjoyed PS3...go figure) I was BLOWN AWAY. Not just the graphical upgrades, but the easier interface tweeks, the larger story, the greater personality from the characters.

PS2 is a classic and a fun game, but PS4 just had so much more personality.
    Last edited by TsubasaJ; Oct 7, 2010 at 03:57 PM.

well, ps4 got complex and improved gameplay/graphics, but my vote goes to PS2 -classic factor/awesome music/storyline- which made later PS games take reference anything from PS2.

thanks to PS2, we had a lot of "Nei" on PSOs lobbies =P