Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aa1989 View Post
    will online ever be free? possibly sometime soon
    Nope, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Aa1989 View Post
    will online ever be free? possibly sometime soon
    If you like the game, pray that it doesn't become free soon. Free is the harbinger of the server going down.

No plans for free play online anytime soon. I can explain why fairly quickly though:

- The game was designed on a subscription model, so going free to play makes one big change: no more money to support the game. This means updates stop, Game Masters no longer exist and all customer service for the game would have to come at a direct cost from somewhere else.

- Scammers, glitchers, and other abusive users would run free without any worry of punishment. Even if GM's did exist, it would be very difficult to prevent abusive players from simply making another free account and repeating their offenses.

- The demo players would flock there en masse. While about 5% of these players are good, wholesome gamers, many transitioning to the full version, the other 95% (as anyone who has played the demo will tell you) are personalities that even the seediest of places wouldn't welcome. Think 11 year old immaturity meets the language of a drunken sailor, and mix that with the backstabbing behavior of a chronic liar. It's unfortunate, but this is how I see a large number of the demo players.

In short, be very, very glad that the game is not free to play, or going there anytime soon. In this case, I think it's a very positive thing.

Rehabbed SEGAholic

Quote Originally Posted by RubyEclipse View Post
    So glad this finally all happened. A lot of people have been working very hard for some time now to try and make this a reality, and it's a great success to see the game's availability soar. Edward and the rest of the PSU team put a lot of time in behind the scenes over the last few months to push as hard as they could for this.

I'm personally very optimistic about the potential for population growth thanks to G.O.D, and hopeful that the game will steadily build from here on out.
    I don't know about soaring but it is nice when a company digitally distributes a game especially when they have stopped making disc versions available. It is hard to increase a game's availability when there are very few copies of it being sold. Also, it is good to know that Edward has been pushing for this for the last few months considering that we have been asking for it for over a year.

As for hoping that the community will steadily build, again this would not be an issue if you had suported them years ago. The fans have been asking for basic balance fixes for a very long time and just now you have started to support them. To say that you are hopeful for growth when your company is directly responsible for the population decrease is quite hilarious. What's funny is that you had the community years ago but failed to properly support it; that is why it is so small today and why growth is needed.

Yes it is nice to see SEGA finally get something right with the 360's servers, it only took you almost 4-years. I guess we should be thankful that it didn't take longer, right? Pathetic but congratulatoins for being able to pat yourself on the back when you get something right for once.

I think making the game available to everyone with access to Xbox Live is quite a jump, especially when you compare that to limited stock in used game stores, which was the case before this week. But if being potentially available to millions isn't soaring and is more like jumping, well, I'm personally happy with the numbers either way.

Many of us in this community were doing a lot to support the game when it launched and in the years following. From events to videos to weekly podcasts, I think our action proves this fact far beyond some tinted claims. The difference is that officially at SEGA (as with any big company), big changes will always take a lot of time and need to get past a whole lot of red tape. Even something as basic as providing updates is far from the simple perspective that players have, and I say that having seen and known both sides of the spectrum.

I think the negativity some people spew so carelessly and so often is more harmful to our community than any delay in content or any rollback. We all know who these people are: those who are never happy, those who are constantly posting doomsday scenarios, and those who constantly attack others in the community. That's the worst kind of negativity, because it seeks to drown out any true successes or accomplishments - like this one, which I think is a great win for both the players and for SEGA alike.

So, to end on that good note, here's to everyone who was happy to see this, and who pushed to help make it happen.

YEAH! you tell em! i could not have sed it better myself.

@Hiero _Glyph,
    It's only a wishful thinking that it could've helped more if it was done sooner. I don't doubt that they did and are doing what they can with the best of their limited resources and abilities not to fail our 360 community.

They may have failed to support pc/ps2 regional server in the past but at the same time, the subscriber base practically abandoned that platform by cancelling their subs and effectively helping to kill it sooner. The same is far from happening on 360 server on the contrary.

Another one of your wishful thoughts regarding the delay gap from JP server, which happens to be also the ultimate flaw in your thought process, is that 360 server is supposed to be on par with JP pc/ps2's content update time frame. What you're refusing to admit is that PSU on Xbox Live takes much longer and/or more efforts in comparison to localize to all different regions throughout the world wide network, and unlike JP pc/ps2 version community, majority of Live users don't live off PSU server alone 24/7 and they enjoy so many other good games offered on Live, which means they can adopt to pace themselves during long content gaps. The only fail if there is one around here is the likes of you, unfortunately.
    Last edited by HyperShot-X-; Aug 4, 2010 at 01:28 PM.

Rehabbed SEGAholic

Quote Originally Posted by HyperShot-X- View Post
    @Hiero _Glyph,
    It's only a wishful thinking that it could've helped more if it was done sooner. I don't doubt that they did and are doing what they can with the best of their limited resources and abilities not to fail our 360 community.

They may have failed to support pc/ps2 regional server in the past but at the same time, the subscriber base practically abandoned that platform by cancelling their subs and effectively helping to kill it sooner. The same is far from happening on 360 server on the contrary.

Another one of your wishful thoughts regarding the delay gap from JP server, which happens to be also the ultimate flaw in your thought process, is that 360 server is supposed to be on par with JP pc/ps2's content update time frame. What you're refusing to admit is that PSU on Xbox Live takes much longer and/or more efforts in comparison to localize to all different regions throughout the world wide network, and unlike JP pc/ps2 version community, majority of Live users don't live off PSU server alone 24/7 and they enjoy so many other good games offered on Live, which means they can adopt to pace themselves during long content gaps. The only fail if there is one around here is the likes of you, unfortunately.
    I think this is a very important aspect of your argument that has failed. For 2 years after the release of PSU in North America the 360 and PC/PS2 servers maintained every update that Japan's PC/PS2 servers had with one exception to my knowledge. The differences in content were negligible and even balance fixes were delivered based on need and not some obscure release schedule.

Even at the start of the following year the 'gap' between servers was minor and we got almot every major update without delay. Then the summer of MAG hit and everything started to fail, utterly. We went from being ~4 months behind to almost double that by the end of the year. The following year did not improve things and while Japan's servers managed biweekly updates ours were lucky to get more than one a month.

The issue is that SEGA set the standard for the first 2 years of PSU's life and then suddenly stopped delivering timely updates for the 360's and PC/PS2's servers. What changed?! Did the community suddenly plunge? Nope, MAG had a huge following on the 360 servers so it was nothing on our end and we easily managed 3+ full universes throughout the event.

Again, I blame SEGA 100% for the demise of the PC/PS2 community as they failed to support the players. In a market with better games available why should players be expected to pay for a service that is greatly lacking? Regarding the 360 servers, the community continues to dwindle because the players are tired of waiting for content we know is coming.

Yes, we finally have an update that we have been waiting to get for 15 months. Most of this update is basic balance fixes. Why did we have to wait 15 months for balance changes when in previous years they released them without significant delay? It is not the players that are to blame but SEGA for failing to support their community and I challenge you to prove otherwise.

EDIT: As for Ruby's indirect comments, blame me for everything if it makes you sleep better at night. I know that I did not cause the problems that plague the 360 version of PSU but I will continue to point then out. My words are viewed by a fraction of the total player base of PSU while your lack of support is evident to every player (well maybe not all as some pay but do not play any more). I will own up for every player that I have caused to leave PSU. How many has SEGA's neglect caused to leave? Let's compare numbers and see who is really to blame.

EDIT2: It should be noted that SEGA has seemed to suddenly care about PSU. We have had a biweekly update, and the digital version of PSU released. So now it is up to SEGA to continue this trend and win back all those players you have spurned in the past. I really hope they can manage to maintain this effort since they were capable of doing it back when PSU was first released. It should also be noted that my words alone will not improve or hinder SEGA's support of PSU so again, how am I to blame for any of this?
    Last edited by Hiero_Glyph; Aug 4, 2010 at 03:01 PM.

Well, one thing I can say that really helps out the 360 and JP PSU community is that they both have a billing process that doesn't use a server that was likely built in 1987.

I don't feel like getting lectured with wall-o-text history lesson for the past 4 years of PSU that I'm fully aware of already, to analyze what went wrong and what could've, should've done, instead I'd rather spend that time supporting the full game, helping to promote demo, trying to actually make a difference, just like I used to pushing for this G.o.D. release that finally became a reality.

Time for bs talking that proves nothing is long over eventho that's all some of these forum posters ever do on here. It's time to go out there, support the full game, promote the demo, support PSP2 when it gets released, and make a difference. May the phorce be with you as always.