Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Want Phantasy Star Portable 2/PSP, Help please.

Hello all, I used to play PSO and PSU and am currently considering purchasing a PSP3000 so I can get Phantasy Star Portable 2 as I have heard it's very good... However before I go spending roughly 240$ there are some questions I would really like to have answered and I hope you guys could answer them for me. So any help is very much appreciated.

Firstly, I read that SEGA will have dedicated servers for PSP2 unlike PSP1. Would this be like the city or lobbie areas in PSU/PSO where people can roam about togeather between missions to meet eachother and such?

How hard will it be to connect to SEGA's servers? Would I need anything additional for my PSP or am I good to go with my PSP, the game, and an accessable wifi?

How will communication between players be handled? Is it possible to hook a keyboard up to the PSP or should I expect slowly typed out messages (like I did on PSU on my 360)?

I've been told you can hook your PSP up to a tv using a cable, but every cable I've found so far only allows for media and browsing, but not gameplay. Is this what it's limited to or are there other cables out there that can allow for the gameplay on tv as well?

What benafits, if any, do players of the beta and/or PSP1 get on PSP2, and if there are any are they limited to story mode or part of the online play?

Are there any significant elements removed/drasticly changed from PSU in this game? Will PSP2 have pets you can level up and take into combat with you during online play?

Thanks in advance!

Phantasy Dad Online II Dragwind's Avatar

-There is no real dedicated server for playing on, you connect with other players through a P2P system.

-No lobbies in PSPo2. When you log in, you can view a list of ongoing parties (like in PSO) and choose to join them. Once you join, you can roam around Clad 6 with your party (similar to being on Pioneer 2 with your party in PSO).

-It's very easy to connect. As long as you have your PSN ID and WiFi to connect to, you're good to go.

-As far as I know, there is no voice chat or external keyboard plug-in. Communication is done by the software keyboard, but of course there are macros and shortcuts you can customize.

-I believe there are some 3rd party cables to play your PSP on your tv, and you can do this with the PSPgo as well.

-If you transfer your character over from PSPo1, you get a special saber and stamina unit, and you carry over your characters current clothing/parts.

-There are many changes to the entire game, but what one would consider as significant is somewhat of an opinion. The stat system, classes, and general gameplay are somewhat drastic changes to the game for me. There are also no pets in PSPo2, but you can bring along NPCs with you if you're soloing, or need to fill a spot in the party.

(There might be an error or two in there, feel free to correct)
    PSO, PSU, PS:Po, PSZ | PSO2: Jergraw (All classes 90) Lunaeris Demoria (Fo/Te 90) Onlak (Hr 90)
    -**Tech crafting max- message me for crafts**-

Forum Rules - Read it!

By pet did you mean Partner Machine? If so yes but unlike PSU you don't need to feed it to make it fight with you, it's already available to fight with you.

PSP2 US: D'Ante - Human - Male - Level 150 - [VA 28] [HU 10] [RA 12] [FO 10] - Battle Rank: F - Challenge Rank: Elite
    No matter how hard the challenge or how great the fall this indomitable spirit will always stand tall..
    Titles left: 17 Comp, 7 Collect, 4 Challenge, 8 Battle, 1 Special

some people dont like modding their psp but there is a hombrew application
    that should make and component cable work for your tv on psp. I havent tried
    it yet thought. But if you want to stay with a legit firmware and use the hombrew
    you could get this thing called half byte loader that lets you play homebrews, but
    no roms, on a legit psp.
    PS0: 1462-6752-9093

Could someone suggest what to look for in wifi adapters for PSP?

Quote Originally Posted by Para View Post
    Could someone suggest what to look for in wifi adapters for PSP?
    There is nothing first-party that you can put on your PSP to boost a signal, but Wireless Boosters are pretty good and reliable.

It's hard for me to understand exactly what you're after, but say if you don't have a wireless internet connection in your home, please look into that along with your ISP (Internet Service Provider); there is just so much that can go wrong if you try to do it yourself.
    Vanguard Race Guide ~ Japanese DLC In All Regions
    Announcement from SEGA: There are minor delays on ships 1~10 due to a signal failure. All other lines are running a good service.

There's nothing hard to understand about my post.... A Wi-Fi adapter is what it exactly says. It is a device that you can connect to your computer to provide a Wi-Fi access point for your Sony PSP.

An example of this would be the Nintendo DS Wi-Fi Adapter which allows the DS to wirelessly connect to your computer to connect to the internet.

There's nothing hard to understand about my post.... A Wi-Fi adapter is what it exactly says. It is a device that you can connect to your computer to provide a Wi-Fi access point for your Sony PSP.

An example of this would be the Nintendo DS Wi-Fi Adapter which allows the DS to wirelessly connect to your computer to connect to the internet.
    I understand now; that's not the technical term to use so I wasn't aware of it.
    Bridging connections like that, as you may already know, is okay. I have never used an adaptor like so I don't know what to recommend, I would just get a Router instead and bridge the connection to it, saving you a USB port and getting a faster signal for less money.
    Vanguard Race Guide ~ Japanese DLC In All Regions
    Announcement from SEGA: There are minor delays on ships 1~10 due to a signal failure. All other lines are running a good service.

Nvm... Apparently there are guides in making your Nintendo Wi-fi adapter into a standard one which I have so I can just use that to connect both my DS and (future) psp.

Nvm... Apparently there are guides in making your Nintendo Wi-fi adapter into a standard one which I have so I can just use that to connect both my DS and (future) psp.
    If that doesn't work Para, you can get the "GW-US Micron" wireless usb adapter. I was searching for the nintendo wifi adapter from gamestops for awhile, but its become quite rare, so I had to resort to buying that. Its apparently the same one used by people who do xlink kai for monster hunter.