O.K., so most everyone agrees that PSO isn't entirely balanced. Rangers running around blasting Rafoie everywhere. Forces weilding powerful sabres. Hunters using the best ranged weapon in the game, etc...

So what happens now?

Can Sonic Team release a download that expands the rare list revealing new items that only the respective class can use?

Are we to wait 'til PSO 2 to find balance? And if so, how? Will Rangers have techniques stripped from them? Will Forces finally be forced into weilding wands and staffs alone? Will Hunters be screwed in terms of ANY long range weapons?

Here's where I stand w/ PSO 2. I feel Hunters should be the only class to be able to weild any of the rare sword/melee class weapons. In this vein, Ranger should be the only one to be capable of weilding rare gun type weapons. Forces should be the only ones capable of learning techniques of significant high levels. I don't have any issues with Hunters weilding low level firearms, or Rangers with sabres. I think that's needed. My issue with Forces is that, despite higher MST, that don't really have the opportunity to learn the higher level spells as they aren't introduced at any faster rate than they are for Hunters and Rangers. (i.e. My friends Force is only 3 levels behind my Hunter, yet the level of spells I know vs. what he knows are virtually nill.)

Someone mentioned restricting Hunters and Ranger to only the basic forms of the spells. (Foie, Barta & Zonde), along with Support and Healing spells. I suggest adding code to increase spell availability for Forces.

I think your restrictions go a tad far. I like the limiting to type of weapon. I have no problem with hunters or forces using handguns or mechguns, but they shouldn't be able to use the Spread Needle, or any other unique guns. (They'd still be able to use Varsitas, H&S Justices, and Bravaces, for example) The same goes for any other class. A Ranger really shouldn't be able to use a Chain Sawd or s-beats blade. Heh, and who other than a force would WANT to use canes/wands? But they should be able to use spells other classes cant, and spells several levels higher than other classes.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: RuneX on 2001-03-04 09:12 ]</font>

Yeah being a force I would like to see spells restricted to forces. Also I would like that spread needle to belong to the rangers not the hunters too. That weapon is incredibly overpowered with a hunters ATP. There are some balance issues but for the most part i didnt really see a problem until all the special weapons started getting out.
    Personally i think low level weapons should be able to be used by anyone but weapons higher up should only be wielded by their respective class. Also, forces should be able to learn spells a lot faster. Hunters and rangers can learn spells at practically the same rate.
    Also, some people don't like the limits on certain stats such as MST or ATA. Personally i feel the limits make the game better. It keeps forces from having 10000 tp and never having to buy fluids, and prevents people from using higher powered guns.

Anyways, i'm going off on other topics all over the place. Heres my opinion on balance.

Keep it as it is now but with a few tweaks. Less spells for non-forces but more for the forces (ie haste or spells that do the same as god/battle). Keep weapons confined to their class except for low level ones. No specials that can be abused by other classes, ie spread needle in a hunters hands. No bazookas in forces hands.

oh and one of my annoyances. More buttons on the pallate. Perhaps 4 on first, then 4 on R, then 4 on R and L at same time. Also bindings to keyboard would be nice.

My number one annoyance though. Give us a back button when you go to ship/block select at the information desk. It is incredibly annoying when you dont want to go there but have to because you cant back out.

ANyway, i'm tired now and probably didnt make much sense, but oh well. I'll write later when I'm less out of it

Eowyn

Good point on expanding the technique list. Expanding in PSO for Forces, but not Hunters & Rangers may be the key here.

Though off topic from what I brought up, I entirely agree with your control issues. Do we really need 2 chat buttons? Are function keys only good for chat? I know Sonic Team wanted to encourage cross language communication, but come on. As a Hunter I feel the pinch of having only 6 keys... it's got to be torturous for Forces.