Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Dead rising 2 or Fable 3

I can only get one i dont know which one to get and i cant get the other one till christmas
    Last edited by rappyman95; Sep 25, 2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: forgot to say something

Get the only one that's out...?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Those aren't even similar games.

That said, both.

I'm getting Fable III (after FO:NV), and will probably pass on DR2. Unless maybe they do something about that sheer vertical cliff of a difficulty gradient. I'm sure if I really spent the time to learn and get into the game it wouldn't be so bad, but really, the story wasn't gripping enough for me to care enough about to advance. A few cool toys to use while slicing through zombie hordes for hours on end is enough to justify the purchase of the first game for me... but not enough to seriously consider the sequel.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

I dunno - having very little experience with either series, I can say that I've always wanted to like Fable more, but I've always had much more fun with the Dead Rising series.

But it really boils down to what you want - an RPG-lite adventure game with some god-game elements towards the end, or a semi-mission-based zombie sandbox game.

At the very least, you could give Dead Rising 2: Case Zero a try - it's quite a bit of fun and only $5.

I wanted to like Dead Rising, as the story was sort of compelling to me, but the abhorrently strict "time limit" factor just took so much fun from the game. If you wanted to beat the game fully, and get the true ending, you pretty much had to rush like a madman through the whole damned thing. Whatever, I guess. I mean, when you get the true ending, you get freeroam mode. Can't be bad, right?

Nope, free mode sucked, too. Your health gradually decreased, so you had to be on the hunt for healing items all the time. Hardly fun for a semi-casual gamer (like myself) who doesn't like to stress about things while playing. I was going to give Dead Rising 2 a chance, barring that there was another ridiculous "time limit", but alas, there is. So, I'm passing on it.

As for Fable, I've always liked it. A nice, slightly stylized action RPG with a -somewhat- in depth story and combat. A lot of my friends were disappointed in Fable 2, but that's because they bought into the hype. That's a common mistake gamers make, so no foul on them. I enjoyed Fable 2 for what it had; not complaining about what it didn't have. Only thing I'm worried about with Fable 3 is whether or not Lionhead fixed the awful multiplayer.

So, to answer the question: I'd pick Fable 3 over Dead Rising 2. At least until you can get both.
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; Sep 25, 2010 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    A lot of my friends were disappointed in Fable 2, but that's because they bought into the hype. That's a common mistake gamers make, so no foul on them.
    For most games, yeah, but come on... it's Fable II. The sequel to the most over-hyped, least delivered game of the last generation. It was like a running gag there for awhile. Didn't they remember any of that?

And really... we're talking about a Peter Molyneux game here... the king of overhype. If he wasn't a game developer, he'd be a pitch-man on late-night TV trying to convince you that his new dust mop will change your fucking life forever. How can anyone take his sales pitches at face value? He makes some good games yeah, but they're not so innovative that the second coming of Christ gets bumped up a few years so that JC can reserve his place in line at EB.

I would call foul on them. Any other developer/series would be understandable... but not Peter, and not Fable.

Only thing I'm worried about with Fable 3 is whether or not Lionhead fixed the awful multiplayer.
    I can forgive the bad multiplayer, because Fable is firmly a single player narrative at it's core. I wouldn't blame Rusty Wallace for not being able to shoot hoops either. That's just not a core or integral component to the Fable formula. They could have left multiplayer out altogether and if you never knew it was there, you wouldn't notice anything out of place gameplay wise.

That said, I hope they really improve multiplayer in Fable III as well. They should also let you use your own character in other player's games. I don't care if the crowds in my friend's game are swinging from his junk instead of mine. They're mostly a nuisance anyhow. I don't care if my character isn't the center of attention... but damn it, if I'm going to be a sidekick - at least let me look cool in my own character/gear while I'm doing it.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Sep 25, 2010 at 04:46 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Actually, I just read the other day that you can use your own character when playing co-op in Fable 3. (You can even have your character marry another player character and have kids, which will be... weird.)

Apparently the reason you couldn't do that in Fable 2 is because the online mode was little more than a rushed hack of the planned "couch co-op" and was the best they could do in the short time frame they were given. Molyneux said that was the reason you couldn't control the camera in co-op mode.

My experience with Fable is limited to the first hour or so that was released for free a year or two ago when they split the game into episodes. It was alright, but the entire time it just felt like I was playing a bad western-version of a Zelda game. The thing is - as I was playing it I could tell that it was originally a much more ambitious game that had been scaled back. I think that Molyneux is generally telling the truth about what these games could be, it's just that they have to remove features and rush through the testing to actually get them released, which makes them wind up being less impressive.

Still, one of these days I'll have to actually pick up one of the games and play through them all the way, because I'm always willing to give ambitious failures a shot if only to see the moments of genius contained within them.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    (You can even have your character marry another player character and have kids, which will be... weird.)
    LOL yea

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Dead Rising was a well timed game built on a gimmick. It was released at the beginning of the 360's life when games were sparse, and the gaming audience was generally more forgiving of sloppy games due to the fresh appeal of a new console. In retrospect, it has a lot of simply baffling design decisions.

Fable is flawed, but at least its built on a promising idea. It's ego has never matched up with the soul of its execution. Considering both games' faults, Fable III probably has the best chance of being the superior game.