Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Does anyone play ARGs?

Just curious...
    If you have played one before, or are currently, did you/do you like it?
    Do you play one locally? Or do the transmedia/internet kind of game?

I don't mean the scanning barcode or pattern sort of thing, where a rendering of something shows up on a cellphone or videogame console with a camera.

I mean an interactive game where you follow a story or mystery in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Split View Post
    For people who don't seem to know what this is, but still choose to comment:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=alternate+reality+games
    Last edited by Pirrip; Oct 3, 2010 at 08:18 PM.

When the 3DS comes out, yes, I will, but now....nope.
    Nothing is sacred. Not that it ever was.

No, I don't plan on getting Kinect or Move, and I don't really see them as an influential medium for realizing what AR gaming is capable of. I think AR's future is going to be mobile, with the goal of seamlessly integrating data into whatever environment you're in. Kinect and Move are more like stationary "portals" to view living-room sized pockets of AR enabled space thorough your TV. Cellphones on the other hand allow any environment to be encoded with data, though you'll still be looking at it through a "window" which separates AR from reality until you can fit the devices into eye glasses or contact lenses.

If you're interested in toying with AR stuffs, there's a program called ARToolKit will give you the basic tools to do it with.

Not exactly portable, give it a few years and LARPing might actually end up being kinda cool with all the special effects from spells going off like a Michael Bay production. No more having your Lightning Bolt spell barrage thwarted by a smartass with a ping-pong paddle.

I wouldn't really consider 3DS an AR platform... but it has a camera and the power to handle AR software, so I guess it depends on if the games offered will be any good.

Otherwise.. uh, I futzed around a bit with Lucid Dreaming and once played a game of AD&D with a guy who was schizophrenic if that counts as AR.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Oct 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

What you guys are talking about is more technically called "Augmented Reality".
    Alternate reality games are a different sort of game, not that it couldn't include an element of Augmented reality(such as scanning codes and seeing holographic things and whatnot). It's where you solve puzzles and follow clues across different forms of media, such as the internet, newspapers, and sometimes talking with real people at an event to figure things out in the real world. Most of the time, the clues cause the player to follow a storyline taking place in the "real world".

Some popular ones in the past include "The Beast" and "I Love Bees".
    Last edited by Pirrip; Oct 3, 2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: To list examples.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pirrip View Post
    It's where you solve puzzles and follow clues across different forms of media, such as the internet, newspapers, and sometimes talking with real people at an event to figure things out in the real world. Most of the time, the clues cause the player to follow a storyline taking place in the "real world".
    So you're asking if we're playing real life?

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Vordex View Post
    With groups that had free time to think them up, plan out such things. Hopefully as far as an end game, rather than just when everyone loses interests.

Not "You lost the game!" signs or uh, "Pools closed." Those aren't supposed to be in RL people!

The real world is always tough to figure out. And man, so much grinding.

-

Read some media cross culture book about the Blair Witch stuff was like that, which 'raged' the fans even more taken along until finally seeing what the lil movie ended up being. Viral marketing thru Internet early kinda thing, taking advantage of every opportunity.
    Last edited by HAYABUSA-FMW-; Oct 3, 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Vordex View Post
    Well, in a way, if you mean using the real world and your natural abilities as a console and interface.

But there are people who organise games for you to play in the real world, as if you're playing some other sort of game. In other words, the simulation of a real-life challenge may be realised for players to solve in the real world.

I hope your post wasn't meant to sound as asinine as it seems.

Hayabusa gets it.
    I wish less cross-media games came out for non-marketing purposes.

I don't, but I've heard of them, and I remember all the hype surrounding I Love Bees.

Change title to ARG or arg or something. I guarantee you would have gotten a better response.

I've never actually played one, but I think they are cool.
    Nothing is sacred. Not that it ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by Split View Post
    I don't, but I've heard of them, and I remember all the hype surrounding I Love Bees.

WORTHY CONTRIBUTION: I think I might put this in the first post! Thanks, Split!

Quote Originally Posted by joefro View Post
    Change title to ARG or arg or something. I guarantee you would have gotten a better response.

I've never actually played one, but I think they are cool.
    Good suggestion, Joefro, I'll do just that. Thanks. ^_^