Thread: Ill Gill...

Question Ill Gill...

So, I'm just getting back into Phantasy Star (Zero was my first, it's been a while since then) with PSP2 and my Cast Ranger is into the final chapter. The Ill Gills are proving to be a real pain, though. Every time I try to get some distance to shoot them, they just spam charge me. Sometimes there's 3 of them taking turns to do so. I wasted most of my recovery items and even resorted to hiding behind some stairs and let my partners deal with them to get through the mission. I managed to get to the boss nonetheless, but I had probably 2 trimates left from the Ill Gills. -.- Since then, I've leveled a little trying to train him as a hunter instead. What I want to know is, am I just approaching them wrongly and should stick to a ranger, or would it be best if I got some melee weapons to deal with them?
    Yes, I'd get that checked out.
    No, I wouldn't touch it.

Well my strategy for them is a mixture of twin hand guns and grenade launchers. I run around, building a chain, then break it with the twin handguns, In between chaining and blasting i use the grenade launcher to knock them down. Seems to work okay. Just remember not to sit still. dodge or block when you see one of them charge. Other then that, it just takes time to figure out the pattern of attack.
    Proud owner of the PSP2 free vent server

Check out the IRC group, for those who prefer to type.

Shotguns might be useful.
    "Blade" M Beast Fighmaster of "Ten Star V" from Xbox 360 PSU.

http://www.youtube.com/user/xBladeM6x

I find it is best to melee them and deal with them quickly. They have medium mob flinching and HP, so you can just hit them a couple times and they will be dead before they can even attack. Since they have one of the highest mob EXP modifiers, they are one of my favorites to quick-kill. Remember, if they run to them, they will do the standard elemental scythe slash instead of dashing toward you. You should have enough time after the hit to heal and hit them hard if they manage to take a chunk out of your HP.

If they do manage to get an attack through and you find yourself having trouble, just use more defensive skills with launch or knockdown.

As a ranger, I found it ultimately funny to have a rifle with Buster Shoot (knockdown on every hit)

Just pop a bullet into them once and they'll be a sitting duck for about 6 seconds

Ill Gills become such a joke after trying this on them
    Known as Niem on Ship 2.
    Spoiler!

If you are a hunter, use an axe to knock them down. Or stun ex traps.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFalcon View Post
    As a ranger, I found it ultimately funny to have a rifle with Buster Shoot (knockdown on every hit)

Just pop a bullet into them once and they'll be a sitting duck for about 6 seconds

Ill Gills become such a joke after trying this on them
    Ooooh I saw Buster Shoot in the trade missions but just assumed it was a higher grade than Power Shoot, I'll have to try it out now
    Quote Originally Posted by RenzokukenZ View Post
    **** that Clad 6 with your Monomate??? How will that work lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirukia View Post
    Its the future, they've now unlocked the secrets to boob teleportation.

I won't have to worry too much about the Ill Gills or a while now, but I'm having pretty much the same problem with the triple Shizuru fight now. =I Move away from sword slash, all enemies focus on me. I'll try out the buster shoot and a shotgun and let you guys know how it turns out.
    Yes, I'd get that checked out.
    No, I wouldn't touch it.

Snagglux, open with a mirage blast or a SUV. That usually puts the clones near seat, and easily killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Snagglux_10 View Post
    I won't have to worry too much about the Ill Gills or a while now, but I'm having pretty much the same problem with the triple Shizuru fight now. =I Move away from sword slash, all enemies focus on me. I'll try out the buster shoot and a shotgun and let you guys know how it turns out.
    Have a Blast charged up before the fight

Humans/Newmans: Any Earth Mirage Blast
    CASTS: Any Cluster SUV
    Beasts: ...Invincible Nanoblast

Random tips

Tip 1: Don't use any attack that does knockback/knockup/knockdown to him. His counter-attack to such attacks is very fast and annoying.

Tip 2: If you're a Vanguard or a Ranger, save all of your EX traps for him. If you aren't a VA/RA, spam some normal traps.

Tip 3: Let the AI build chains for you, then move in with your PA after the chain is at least higher than 2.