Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Arks Member..? SquashDemon's Avatar
    I came from Ragol, and all the not-sense that makes with it.

Angry PSP2 Honest impressions.

So My wife and I were old PSO buffs from the 'cube era, and we still played together today, trying to relive the glory days of the online servers, Yes, they had their problems, but we had an incredibly fun time.

When PSU came out, we played through the entire story mode, and were severely turned off by it. (Ethan and his Shounen Brigade had a lot to do with it) That alone prompted us never to go online.

A few years after that, we decided to try PSP2 after a high recommendation from a co-worker.
    So we rented it, liked it, now willing to look past the steaming pile that was the story, and in favor of the superior gameplay from PSU, decided to buy a couple copies for ourselves

So we're playing AD HOC, trying to gear up for when we do go online. When my wife Finds a Soul Eater. 'cool' I think, 'that's a welcome piece of nostalgia!'
    So we go to trade it over to my character.
    Then we discover that, much like PA/Tech disks, (which already irked us) we could not trade it over.

Saddle up kids, it's raeg time.

Hello? Sega? Have you ever even PLAYED an MMO?

What the hell was the point of that!?

Why would you REMOVE THE ENTIRE RARE ECONOMY!?

What is the point of giving EVERY Player in the team, a notifier that so-and-so has found a rare weapon, WHEN THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO TRADE IT IF ASKED!

Why would you make different Rares Class-specific?!

None of this so-called 'feature' makes any sense, even from a security standpoint.

I know the economy of PSO (and probably PSU) was ruined by cheaters, so I can guess that is how this idea took root, but really, a damaged economy is better than no economy at all. part of an MMO's replay value comes from the fact that there is an ever-changing rare economy that can be played for profit. Especially considering that a LARGE percentage of MMO parties are complete strangers setting out with a similar goal, that usually being, to obtain a rare item.

Sega, do you SEE why this was a bad idea yet?

Now, you may be thinking: "But they can't simply IGNORE the cheating and item hacking/duplicating" Well, fear not, I have a solution to that as well:

Hire.

A.

Moderation.

Team.

It works! Trust me! I've run small communities in games where cheating ran rampant, If you put them in their place, they actually do stop affecting the community! People learn that folks that associate with them get banned, and they -don't- risk it. Eventually, the cheaters grow bored, and, get this, LEAVE.

Now, yes, it works -better- with a small community, but if you hire -many- moderators, to a decent scale of how many players there are, you ought to achieve the same effect.

...Okay, rant over.

That said: Finding out about this particular feature of the game has changed my mind about a future purchase.

Originally, after hearing of all the new content, I was going to buy PSP2I when it was released here in the US.

But now, I think I'll stick with what I've already bought. Sega has lost the money they would have gained through my and my wife's re-purchase of this game, by allowing such a horrible design flaw to make it to the final version of the game.

Saying they remove this asinine feature from PSP2I or simply from online play, via a server patch. I might reconsider this stance. But as such, my faith in Sega has plummetted even further than previously. I now even Dread hearing news of PSO2, for fear of hearing how they've managed to muck up one of my favorite games this time.

People of PSOW, Do you think I am being too hard on them? Or do you have your own issues that you wish to take up here? I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.
    Last edited by Mike; Nov 2, 2010 at 06:05 PM.
    Episode III for Life.

It's not an mmo.

Being able to obtain the best shit by farming an obscene quantity of trash is retarded.

Monster Hunter doesn't let you trade and it's 5x as successful. Even PSU is moving more and more to making the good stuff untradable. Even the real MMOs (which this isn't) make all the best gear untradable. Sack up and earn stuff on your own.

It tells you when other people get rares because it's assumed you have the decency to say congratulations to your comrades.

Soul Eaters are common as hell, to think that trash of all things spurred your rage is pretty funny.

Not playing PSU because of the story mode that most people don't even play is even more judgmental than writing off infinity because they disallowed trade.

Btw is your crack moderation team going to track me giving my entire inventory over to someone over ad-hoc, then replacing that save with the backup I made 5 minutes ago on my pc?

This is not an MMO.
    And in the few MMO's I've played, many of the good items were bound to your character upon pickup so you couldn't even trade them, so how is that much different from here?

Not to mention that the end game content in this game is already relatively limited, and the US version has greatly boosted drops over the original.
    So if you added trading for high rank items on top of that, the total time you would spend on this game would be even less.

If it's just the two of you playing together, I understand that you would like to share or trade items that you've found, but online it would just be bad for SEGA since it would kill the game even faster.
    ”うーぅす, おはよー!
    あたしはミカ!
    今日も一日がんばっていこーね!"

NC, USA (Online though, you may find me in the unofficial PSOW chat @ http://psoworld.weebly.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by SquashDemon View Post
    So My wife and I were old PSO buffs from the 'cube era,

Why would you make different Rares Class-specific?!
    Hmmm... So you were use to PSO and can't understand why rares are class-specific? There are 4 classes in this game. You are freely able to change your type in this game at any time. In PSO, you were stuck to your Section ID. If the letters in your name became Purplenum, then you were stuck finding most of the Mechguns and had to deal with it; forever.

So... why is the class-specific rares bad again?

{-} Sig is outdated. Now on Team: ChibiRoar. I'll update eventually... {-}

TemprusofTime @ Deviantart (Novice MMD User)

PSOW on mibbit---
    BTW, yes I'm one of those guy gamers that plays nothing but girl characters. There a problem with that?

The following is all my opinion. Deal with it.
    PSO= best game ever

I doubt any game will ever be as good. We can't hold modern games up to the greatness of PSO. They will always disappoint if we do. I won't lie, PSU and PSPo1 were complete and utter FAIL. Sega is making a huge comeback however. PSPo2 is an amazing game. It's one of the best games since the PSO series and easily the best PSP game (VC2 and P3P are also in my top 3). Sakai was part of the team that made PSO what it was, and he is now leading the Phantasy Star team. He aims to gear as much towards PSO as he can while still offering new and exciting modern gameplay. He has progressed well since Yuji Naka left, and I'm proud of his hard work. It's not easy to make a comeback after the horribly cheap PA system and bad acting of PSU. Phantasy Star is my favorite series and it always will be. I will continue to show my support, because I know Sega of Japan tries their best. Sega of America needs some serious help translating, but that topic is for another day. I look foward to US versions of both PSPo2i and PSO2.

Also: PSO was an online action rpg, not a crappy MMO
    don't insult the best game ever :\

Quote Originally Posted by Ceresa View Post
    It's not an mmo.

Being able to obtain the best shit by farming an obscene quantity of trash is retarded.

Monster Hunter doesn't let you trade and it's 5x as successful. Even PSU is moving more and more to making the good stuff untradable. Even the real MMOs (which this isn't) make all the best gear untradable. Sack up and earn stuff on your own.

It tells you when other people get rares because it's assumed you have the decency to say congratulations to your comrades.

Soul Eaters are common as hell, to think that trash of all things spurred your rage is pretty funny.

Not playing PSU because of the story mode that most people don't even play is even more judgmental than writing off infinity because they disallowed trade.

Btw is your crack moderation team going to track me giving my entire inventory over to someone over ad-hoc, then replacing that save with the backup I made 5 minutes ago on my pc?
    i lawled.

it's honestly pretty sad that your getting annoed by soul eater when there is a Soul Pheonix in the game thats just as weird as soul eater, and soulbanisher.
    yes it is nice to have as a cellectable but it's not worth using.

items drop easy on this unlike pso/psu and lvling isn't hard if you know what your doing.

if your wife wants a soul eater so bad. then keep doing the run you did and she will get one.

plus.
    it's fun picking on your friends when you get something they want =P
    and they can clown on you for something they have but you want.

In Optimus Curtz we trust Broken_L_button's Avatar

I find the lack of trading not much of an issue, since, with how the game is designed, trading is far from necessary. In PSO, you couldn't get all rares unless you created at least 4-8 characters, each with a different ID. And even then, hunting in PSO could drive you mad before you found whatever you were searching for (lol...hunting syncestas from Torrs or hunting SJS, anyone?). Since in PSP2, you can get every single rare on a single character, and that stuff drops like candy, trading ends up being a waste of space on the UMD/DD file. But that's just my opinion, don't get offended by it, please.

Yes, it is kind of sad you can't trade, but as already said, it is unnecessary.

Old news is old news.
    PSPo2;
    Graviteon: CAST, Male, level 102,RA/16 VA/15|Nalma: Newman, male, level 90, FO/13 VA/13

I am a RAcast to know what you are take the quiz here.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashDemon View Post
    I know the economy of PSO (and probably PSU) was ruined by cheaters, so I can guess that is how this idea took root, but really, a damaged economy is better than no economy at all. part of an MMO's replay value comes from the fact that there is an ever-changing rare economy that can be played for profit. Especially considering that a LARGE percentage of MMO parties are complete strangers setting out with a similar goal, that usually being, to obtain a rare item.
    They actually got the idea from Monster Hunter. Encourage grinding instead of trading. Also, applies for blocking and dodging...

@OP
    Go out and find the rares yourself. That's what they want you to do.

Quote Originally Posted by d19xx View Post
    They actually got the idea from Monster Hunter. Encourage grinding instead of trading. Also, applies for blocking and dodging...
    I don't know if you can say that with any certainty, especially trading. Blocking and rolling are similar though.
    Last edited by Mike; Nov 2, 2010 at 06:04 PM.