View Poll Results: How to pay for next version of a console release of PSO?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • $15/month fee for the first 1-3 months, then $10 month after. $40-$60 game purchase.

2 33.33%
  • $20/mo fee for 1-6 months, then $15 or less. $40 game across Xbox360 / PS3 / Wii

0 0%
  • $10/mo first 1-3 months, then $10 if purchased monthly (multi-month discounts). $50 game.

0 0%
  • Free for first month, then $10/mo with discounts available for multi-months. $50 game.

2 33.33%
  • $10/month forever, Download only option from Xbox360 / PS3 / Wii / Sega.com sites. Price unknown.

0 0%
  • Free for first month, then $10/mo afterward. $40 Download only, no refunds, exclusive Sega.com

1 16.67%
  • None of the above (please explain)

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Helping Sega finance the next Phantasy Star 'Online' game for Xbox360 / PS3 / Wii

EDIT: Cut off the end of the subject, which is Xbox360 / PS3 / Wii

Hi, I don't work for Sega but I'm wondering something. For you hardcore fans that would like to see a console version of PStar, which of these would you consider?

$15/month fee for the first 1-3 months, then $10 month after. $40-$60 game purchase.
    $20/mo fee for 1-6 months, then $15 or less. $40 game across Xbox360 / PS3 / Wii
    $10/month fee for first 1-3 months, then $10 if purchased monthly (multi-month discounts). $50 game across all 3 systems
    Free for first month, then $10/mo with discounts available for multi-months. $50 game.
    $10/month forever, Download only option from Xbox360 / PS3 / Wii / Sega.com sites. Price unknown.
    Free for first month, then $10/mo afterward. $40 Download only option, no refunds, exclusive Sega.com

A lot of companies are having a rough time in this economy. It might be that to get a console release, Sega will need a commitment from fans & have to do things different.
    Last edited by Roger Triton; Nov 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
    Triton. At your service.

None of the above. Here's to hoping console releases don't happen.

PS3 and 360 will be approx five and six years old around the time PSO2 gets released...where we are to likely see the same problems we saw with PSU's release....bad ports, not enough resources, etc... and if it means server separations....no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Keg View Post
    PS3 and 360 will be approx five and six years old around the time PSO2 gets released...
    $ony has a 10 yr plan for the PS3, so the likelyhood that all 3 consoles are still around in 5-6 years is actually high. But why would it take 5 years to develop the next console game? If they use the existing infrastructure from PSP2, then program the graphics so it displays nicely at 720p I don't see an issue. From what I've read, PSP2 for the PSP is stable & runs rather quickly. The graphics are also quite nice.
    Triton. At your service.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Keg View Post
    None of the above. Here's to hoping console releases don't happen.

PS3 and 360 will be approx five and six years old around the time PSO2 gets released...where we are to likely see the same problems we saw with PSU's release....bad ports, not enough resources, etc... and if it means server separations....no thanks.
    agreed
    Orius - M.Newman lvl180 MF20 ---- Megalodon V9.0 - M.Cast lvl180 fG20/GM20
    _______ YOmap - M.Beast lvl104 PT20 ---- ダークエンジェル F.Human lvl57 AF11________

JP PSU
    www.psupedia.info/User:Orius

Releasing the game in consoles will repeat the same story that affected PSU. I'd fully bet for a PC-only version; that serves me right if PC gamers like me dont want to bear retarded console players...but that's just an impossible dream, lol
    Perso...! Wait...wrong game.

Quote Originally Posted by Crysteon View Post
    Releasing the game in consoles will repeat the same story that affected PSU. I'd fully bet for a PC-only version; that serves me right if PC gamers like me dont want to bear retarded console players...but that's just an impossible dream, lol
    As Ryna pointed out to me in another thread, this is the problem with the PC side of things: hacking

Fortunately, the JP and Xbox 360 versions of the game haven't been afflicted with those problems.
    Those problems being partner machinery stolen & items+decorations stolen/hacked.

If FF14 does well on the PS3, I think it would make more than sense for Sega to release Phantasy Star on the console it's best for.
    Triton. At your service.

The MMO's I've seen usually have the first month or a certain period of time free to allow players to see whether or not they really like the game first. As long as the game disc or download itself is no more than $60, I'm cool with it. Afterwards, it's usually $10-$20 a month, sometimes charging a few dollars more for having extra characters, etc., and maybe $10-$30 for any expansions. In my opinion, this is fair as long as the game is regularly maintained and updated, which usually wasn't the case when I played PSU. Seeing how PSO and PSU were released for multiple platforms, I expect PSO2 will be treated similarly. Even if the different consoles' servers are separated (for example, I don't see PS3 and 360 playing together, obviously), I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as everyone received their updates at the same time. With this in mind, I would NOT separate servers by region, so there's no "Japan is over a year ahead of us" bullshit going on like in PSU; that kind of game management is just inexcusable, especially for an online RPG that covers multiple countries, even if it doesn't have a huge population.

My FFXIV:ARR Lodestone Page
    3DS Friend Code: 0318-8097-4335
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Hearthstone

Ultimate Chao Fan & Anti-Scammers Commitee member Chaobo99's Avatar

They should just make pc/xbox/360 and jp/us/eu all on the same servers. Boy what a community that would be o.o;.

I agree Chaobo99. As long as Sega had a backup server that was a mirror of the main, then let everyone in all countries play on the same server. If it was a Xbox360 game, could be thousands of people online all over the world. That is exciting!
    Triton. At your service.

PSO2 will be released in JP for a year before the US even hears a release date.

Besides, SEGA doesn't care about the 100 US hardcore PSO-W fans that would pay for the subscription regardless of price. They care about how many copies they can move and how many saps they can get to pay monthly fees for a quick buck.

Lesson: Don't take US releases of SEGA games seriously because they're like one night flings.
    www.xat.com/psp2 to chat about psp2 and to run with an english speaking psp2 community.

【JP PSPo2:i】 [FNewm Lvl83 FO11] [FDewm Lvl90 FO12] [FCast Lvl200 HU30 BR30] [FBeast Lvl198 HU30 BR 28]