Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I think that's the first time I've seen "frat boys" and "Fallout" used together. I don't watch anime so I don't understand why you would need to label it as such. It's an action rpg.

I never really thought of it as an 'anime' action RPG until I saw it on the article...I still don't think it's necessary...it may describe the game's fashion, but not totally...

-Wayu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think that's the first time I've seen "frat boys" and "Fallout" used together. I don't watch anime so I don't understand why you would need to label it as such. It's an action rpg.
    I was just using an example of the people who like western RPG's who may be turned off by Japanese culture or anime.

You don't have to watch anime to see that there is an influence on the artwork in this game. It is an action RPG, but it has an anime art style to the characters. That is they way I see it and thus I felt it appropriate describe it that way. I love it, vs the ugly mugs of other customizable RPG's.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayu View Post
    I never really thought of it as an 'anime' action RPG until I saw it on the article...I still don't think it's necessary...it may describe the game's fashion, but not totally...

-Wayu
    "customize your anime style appearance." is not the same thing as labeling it an anime action RPG.
    Last edited by Mike; Dec 1, 2010 at 01:24 AM.
    PSP2 Character: "Nova" Female Newman Force

It's implied. Also, you could've edited your last post instead of double-posting...

-Wayu

The only times I have ever seen people play this game, are asians, nothing more, nothing less.

Honestly, most of the people I know are just turned off by that kind of hype, especially when you can look up each and every costume and almost all of them have that bright, cheery look to them.

Sure tons of weapons and free online play, but too much of one thing may just be the one thing that keeps them from wanting to try.

Game is underappreciated, but let's face facts here: the average gamer, these days, will most likely pick up a shooter game than an RPG (other than Final Fantasy), approve gore over soft core violence, would rather not have to do much to get a new weapon, and finally, a game that follows a somewhat repetitive dungeon crawling game, will probably put the game down not long after playing through chapter 1.

I admit, I'm somewhat like that, but I'd rather play Phantasy Star over Call of Duty any day.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.

^

The stereotype of US gamers. Not you, I mean the people who love to shoot the crap out of stuff and then more. Then again, Japan created the RPG while the West created the FPS...

-Wayu

That or it's because I'm chinese to begin with.

Think about it though, in RPG's you have to gain something to be able to do anything, in FPS' pick up a gun and shoot.

FPS' made some games too simple, and all you needed to do was aim and shoot, in RPG's you needed strategy, something to keep you defended while being offensive.

This game does have plenty of strategy making tactics, if you plan badly, you'll end up somewhere between lying on the ground or off in that magical place where everyone is all happy, but dead.

As much as I would like to keep making these as I go along, I forgot to mention this in my first post here: Too much info at the end, dude.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.

^

Once again, selective presentation. Leave stuff for the potential players to discover for themselves, is what I think blace is getting at.

-Wayu

It's implied. Also, you could've edited your last post instead of double-posting...

-Wayu
    I have never in my 20 plus years of playing the phantasy star series ever heard of it referred to as an "anime RPG," but I will always be the first to describe it as having a sci-fi anime art style. Even if you feel that it is implied in my article, what is the problem with that?

Why is there any sensitivity about this?

My character on PSP2 wears thigh-highs with pig-tails. It doesn't get anymore "anime" than that lol...

here is a wiki article on the definition of anime:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

^

Leave stuff for the potential players to discover for themselves, is what I think blace is getting at.

-Wayu
    So it needs to be a surprise to the unsuspecting players that Phantasy Star has an amine influenced art stye? Doesn't the article pic or even the box art with the pink hair already imply that?
    Last edited by 8bitBass; Dec 1, 2010 at 01:41 AM.
    PSP2 Character: "Nova" Female Newman Force

The selective presentation isn't about the 'anime' art style.

I know what anime is, yes, thanks very much, I'm Japanese.

There is no problem with the implying. Some people treat anime like the plague, though, especially in the West. It's a friendly heads-up that there are that kind of people out there and that if you're aiming for a catch-all article it would probably be better to remove it.

But then again your article probably isn't a catch-all, so yeah, no real need to alter that.

I'm not trying to offend you. I'd appreciate it if the gesture were reciprocated...

-Wayu
    Last edited by Wayu; Dec 1, 2010 at 01:45 AM.