Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

All this money is making my head spin...

The more you invest in your project the bigger and bigger it seems to become!!! Keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    I plan to do justice to fans of the old and the new iterations of Phantasy Star.
    I understand this is some kind of sequel to PSIII (for a single one ending at least), but how do you plan to merge this to the rest of the series? or am I understanding it the wrong way?

I don't get the idea that this is exactly a sequel to PSIII. Alisa III was shot across time and space and ended up near Earth. So while we do get to see kind of a continuation of what happened to Alisa III after that ending, from what I gathered from the other info sessions (in this forum), it is kind of its own story that branches in and out between some events of the original PS series.

I can almost think of it being described as an original PS story that has a connection or two to the actual PS stories (mainly the original series). Being able to do a lot where the other PS stories took place at a different place and time (most of the time). But there may be a time or two where they meet. It's almost like a crossing-paths kind of setup. Some intersection, but not necessarily a strong enough involvment where you have to spend too much time working in continuity of constant parallel events.

As this goes forward, it would be interesting to see how the new gets addressed with the old. That is, for new and old fans. But from the trailer, it kind of makes me think of the Ghostbusters approach.

That is the original Ghostbusters was going to be all about the fully developed Ghostbusters universe. Teams of Ghostbuster franchises competing for money and reputation with Ghosts and Major Ghosts a plenty. A truly big high budget science fiction. However, Ramis brought in the sensible aspect of planning and gave the suggestion to bring it down a few notches to something that is both "Lower on budget" and "Something more regular people can connect with and get into the mythos". The idea, let's show people how the Ghostbusters started, have them start as regular people who have a wicked idea. Make sure they have enough people with them that see the world as the "everyman" sees it, but show how they eventually run into extraordinary things.

That way, both folks who are set more on everyday people who they can connect with, and those already waiting for the eccentric and adventurous, can enjoy the film. By the end of it, both types of people are converted to the science fiction of it all and want to see the next thing.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Feb 10, 2011 at 02:50 PM.

The trailer continues one of the endings, so I don't see why can't it be considered a sequel.

You can sort of say that. But definitely not the first movie itself. A sequel implies that all of the events in the movie happen as a direct follow-up to another story. However, while the trailer shows an intersection, it also doesn't show how much of the movie is after the ship appears.

THE POWER IS YOURS!!! CaptainPlanet's Avatar

This is both a sequel to Phantasy Star III and a Prequel to Phantasy Star II, because the Alisa III was sent back in time through a black hole to a point before the Earth was destroyed. Under normal circumstances, I would not have written that information, as it would be a major spoiler. However, all the classic players know how things ended up at the end of Phantasy Star II, so it was already known (for the most part).

These films begin with Aron's ending in Phantasy Star III and end with the events at the end of Phantasy Star II. The twist is that you will be seeing these events from an entirely different perspective. The events at the end of Phantasy Star II will be entirely reenacted on film, however I have exploited every opening in that controversial scene to build around it and flesh it out MUCH more, so that fans can see that scene in a new light. The fate of Rolf and his party will also be revealed.

Consider these films to be, "the other side" story. They are strictly built around the two aforementioned encounters with Earthlings as a jumping off point. All I can say is, don't go in thinking that these films will be entirely centered around the classic games. The Alisa III's arrival at Earth will play an important role in the story, but it will also be the catalyst for an entirely new story, which is where our new heroes come in. There will be many scenes that will take place aboard the Alisa III in order to show what happens when a select group of people from Earth are elected to board the ship for a first contact scenario (you knew it was going to happen). The films will be primarily focused on the new adventure that was inadvertently set in motion by the Alisa III's arrival. Yes, Dark Force will return to wreak havoc, and yes, the reasoning behind it will make sense.

As far as doing justice to the old AND new iterations of Phantasy Star, the films will be a tribute to the old, while being an homage to the new. I say this because, if you have been following the movie thread under Fan Works, you can see that we are in fact building photon weapons for the films. Why? Because at the point when the Alisa III arrived near Earth, we were on the brink of mastering this technology, as well as android technology. I won't go too far into that because one of the major plotlines in the first film revolves around that. Techniques are introduced, but are heavily studied in secret labs, and are contorted by our scientists to be "contained" within shiny silver disks (sound familiar?) Basically, any artistic liberties taken from the new iterations of Phantasy Star are expressed in the film as a derivitive of Earth's science in some form or other. I didn't just force newer influences into the story however, that would just be irresponsible and the classic games deserve better treatment than that. I was very careful to use surgical precision when carefully integrating new-age concepts into what can safely be labeled as a sequel to one classic game and a prequel to another.

NOTE: Even though a lot of the "new" technology represented in the films will be blatant replicas of PSU-style photon weapons/technology, consider them to be "out of phase" with PSO/PSU/PSZ and merely an unrelated artistic parallel, as the classic games do not exist within the same reality as those titles, regardless of what some may believe. These films are being carefully constructed as a middle-ground for fans of the old and new to come together and enjoy the same story, and hopefully, the newer fans will gain a new appreciation for the classic titles and the epic story they told.

Who knows? Maybe after this is released, Sega might decide to put a little more time and effort into their writing so that they can aspire to write epic stories like they used to. Also, Sega is aware of our project and they have expressed their idle approval. Special thanks goes to Aaron "RubyEclipse" Webber and Rob Miles of Sega for their brief correspondence about this project.
    Last edited by CaptainPlanet; Feb 11, 2011 at 04:51 AM.

I don't know the details, but there is an important part in this work that will entirely be speculation, that some fans will disapprove: the period of time between the events of Aron's ending to the invasion of Algol. We don't know if this happened in a decade, or a century, or in thousand of years, or in an entirely different dimension.

Another question, I don't know the details about the story, this thread is my first contact with this project, but is the official timeline considered for this project? earthmen arrived to algol 4 centuries before the events in PS2, I'm not sure if you are thinking in a generations based story, or in different events separated in time.

Read this thread entierely.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183407

CaptainPlanet now has more than enough knowledge about the Classic Saga lore to make something fan of the old saga happy. And yes, there will always be unhappy fan because a lot of it is part speculation on how PSIII Aron ending link to PSII. CaptainPlanet just have to live with it, but from what I'v read from him, I don't think it will be disappointing. I'm really nitpicky about the Classic Saga Lore, since it's the only Phantasy STar lore I now respect, having rejected all the stupidity related to the online iterations. And he managed to satisfy me with his story. So really take the time to read the thread and learn all the points of where he's going

Though you do raise a good point. Noah and Mother Brain arrived in Algol many centuries before PSII...and I just realized that a part of his script might not match with it...(or maybe I'm not remembering right)....the humans will have to use a lot of cryogenic sleep (pretty much like Lutz) to stay alive and be the same human in PSII era. I'm guessing this can be one of the reason why they could still be alive after all this time.
    Last edited by Drac_Mazoku; Feb 11, 2011 at 03:42 PM.

In fact, these films focus directly on what happens between the time the Alisa III arrives at Earth (Aron's specific ending) and the invasion of Algol, albeit it is the story that is being told on our end of things, not Algol's, which is where the action is. It is it's own story that ties directly into the classics, so you won't be spending all your time trying to compare facts to see if all the movie lore is up to snuff. There will be cameos of old characters when necessary, but be prepared to fall in love with a new party of heroes that expands and evolves as the films progress. I have already fallen in love with the Epsilon and Ark characters and I'm sure they both will grow to be fan favorites. I have plans for Mieu to have the most screen time of all the classic characters, and you will see why when you watch the films. I also have plans for one or two new heroes from the Alisa III to emerge in the films as well. I just can't decide which male name sounds better, Sten, which follows the typical old-school four letter cliche, or Toben, which I thought sounded decent in it's own right. What do you think?

Some artistic liberties may need to be taken, but nothing too big. For example, some networks required for living were missing from the game, like the presence of any farmland to provide food.

Also, on the topic of how the humans go about living through the four centuries until the Algol System was ripe for the plucking, Drac had it exactly right. He read that one of the first things on the Humans' agenda when plotting a course for the Algol system was having the entire crew of the Noah enter stasis. The Algol system is an entire galaxy over, so you would want to be alive to see the end of the journey, right? I'm going to go ahead and give this part of the plot away, seeing as it wouldn't ruin the last movie as a whole. The humans were in stasis for eons as the Noah traveled between our galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy. The Motherbrain network aboard Noah was directed to not wake the ship's inhabitants until it has had time to stealthily integrate it's systems into the technology of Algol (unknown to the Noah's crew at large, which consisted mostly of civilians. As far as they know, they had just arrived at their "new home" when they awoke). So, four centuries after they finally arrive in the Algol System, they are finally awoken from eons of slumber to prepare for an invasion (the civilians are clueless to this ploy. There is a greater power at work within the Noah's democracy... As well as the presence of Dark Force within Pandora's Box aboard the Noah, which slowly drives everyone on board to turn on one another, causing riots and unrest within the civilian populace, as well as the Noah's security force to use excessive force to quell the riots. The reason for the Dark Force's presence aboard the Noah, as well as why it was contained within Pandora's Box, will be fleshed out in great detail in the films. As far as the humans who were present in that famous controversial scene at the end of Phantasy Star II, they will be described within the films as the Noah's security force, who were directed to assemble in the main hall just before Rolf and the gang blew the door off the hinges by defeating Motherbrain. The nameless man (who had a very large white beard in the Playstation remake) who had assumed the role as leader of the human race will also be fleshed out within the films. You will witness his character development, personal conflicts, and emotional motivation as the story progresses, and the same can be said for all the other mainstream characters in the movies.

I will be taking a slight artistic liberty with the starship Noah itself. I have seen screenshot maps of the ship in it's entirety, and while I will be maintaining the same general shape for the Noah in the film, you can expect it to be huge. It will contain anywhere between 5,000 and 10,000 people (we're not hiring thousands of extras, but you get the idea. Life aboard the Noah, after awaking from stasis and before the attempted invasion, will be similar to that aboard Babylon 5 (for those of you who have seen the show). There will be a large community of refugees living, working, and living it up (to an extent, given the situation) within the civilian wing of the Noah. It's an ark for thousands of human survivors, so it only makes sense for it to be huge.

With the discovery of new, more powerful softwares, we continue to make headway in improving the quality of the Prime films. Below I have rendered a 3D model of the character Neon's head. By creating full CG versions of ourselves, we can do a quick switch with these digital stunt doubles to perform moves and stunts that would otherwise be impossible in real life. It's not hard to tell that it's a CG head, but while the character is vigorously swinging a sword, you won't have time to notice when you see the face very briefly and in motion.